• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I wouldn't necessarily equate missing Spirit events to "Ermagherd they're playable" just yet.

Right now it's literally just games that didn't get spirit events.

Otherwise, Gooigi is just as eligible as Edelgard right now.
I mean, I'd argue the difference is that Luigi's Mansion 3 and Crafted World actually made it into the base game, Spirits or not.

Crafted Yoshi: Exists

And Luigi's moveset was incorporated to have the new Poltergust from the newest game.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Maybe he’ll see some of the (not)Yoshis stealing some of the pages and chase after him?
That might get him to at least take a look at the village, but not necessarily that Yoshis could actively steal babies from neighboring villages. He knows what they are like, and he could even have that confused expression when he gets the news like, "Really, Yoshis? I don't buy it."

So how about a throwaway line about some drought that causes a shortage of fruit? You never saw Yoshis go after other live prey before since their land gave them alternatives, but they could now (again, in the Tri-Dino's point-of-view) be FORCED to take action like this. It doesn't have to be true, just plausible enough for Mario to believe it :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

We're definitely jumping to conclusions, but it's hella odd.

Three Houses, Astral Chain and Ring Fit were all skipped while Daemon X Machina gets through?

At first you could just say "Well not all big releases could be getting them", which is still true, but now SwSd is getting them, which is a big Hmmst.

Luigi's Mansion and Crafted World didn't get any, buuuut at the same time, but WERE represented in the base game itself.
We have Luigi's Mansion representation but not LM3 representation outside of a single move on a single character, which has it's own characters unique to it like Gooigi, Madame Gravely and other boss ghosts which would make prime spirit material. Add that onto LM3 being one of Nintendo's big fall releases and it's absence is conspicuous as any other game.
Also Tetris 99 only recently got spirits despite being out since like February

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, I'd argue the difference is that Luigi's Mansion 3 and Crafted World actually made it into the base game, Spirits or not.

Crafted Yoshi: Exists

And Luigi's moveset was incorporated to have the new Poltergust from the newest game.
Alright, but then we have to be fair in that we're making exceptions to the "not having spirit events makes you more likely to be playable" idea.

Sure, I think Spirits disconfirm. But lack of spirits doesn't necessarily mean the characters are in. I think it's highly possible that they stick with the same model that has produced the results they have gotten with the first pass (which made a remarkable amount of profits for them).

I just don't think it's a good idea to see this as any indication just yet.

Shroob

Sup?
Alright, but then we have to be fair in that we're making exceptions to the "not having spirit events makes you more likely to be playable" idea.

Sure, I think Spirits disconfirm. But lack of spirits doesn't necessarily mean the characters are in. I think it's highly possible that they stick with the same model that has produced the results they have gotten with the first pass (which made a remarkable amount of profits for them).

I just don't think it's a good idea to see this as any indication just yet.
And I think it's ignorant to rule out the idea of a first party character in a potential 10 more down the pipeline but that's just me.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Maybe Sakurai hates Fire Emblem.

Maybe he's been forced to put so many FE characters into the game, and this is the one way he can stop furthur representation of the series.

Idk man. Keeps me up at night. :T

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And I think it's ignorant to rule out the idea of a first party character in a potential 10 more down the pipeline but that's just me.
Then why don't you recognize my chubby evil child, Shroob? :072:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Sakurai's commented on Smash Bros. being nominated for the Game Awards - going by the translation, he seems a little confused, though I'm not sure if he's joking or not.

Going by Google translate, the Tweet says "Why is the Smash Bros. SP last year's game nominated? When I thought, The Game Awards last year was one day before the release date. This is where Joker stole the invitation. I was also impressed by the performance of the orchestra. " ...Obviously not the most accurate translation, but it gets the idea across.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'll say this again. Year of Yoshi 2020. If spirits disconfirm, then you should find it suspicious that Poochy's spirit is labelled "Yarn Poochy." It doesn't matter if Yoshi has a Crafted alt, there's more than one Yoshi game and Woolly World got an entire stage last time :yoshi:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
We get some good linear games. Katana Zero and Celeste immediately come to my mind.
What kind of question is that
I mean 3 of the 6 GotY nominees are linear soooooo
Thanks.

I was talking to someone on the Crash facebook page I frequent and when I expressed how much I wanted the series to stay linear like 1-3 and not go open world like Twinsanity or Spyro they asked me it I "knew that style of game is outdated". Made me mad.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Most SNK games that had Iori in them that I played(very few tho), I didn't like him much. But he was kind of fun in KOF98. He still didn't mesh with me like Terry, King and Heavy D!. Joe and Mai are kind of fun too. Can't quite get Kyo down though. I guess I just suck with Rekka characters.

Are linear games outdated?
No. DMC5, RE2, MM11, MUA3, Yoshi's Crafted World, Luigi's Mansion 3 and more all have pretty set paths from what I played and seen. You could make an argument that since Mega Man games let you tackle bosses in any order you want, it's non-linear in that respect. But Mega Man's a middle ground for that. Many linear games have Non-Linear elements to them, split paths, secret exits and the like.

Metroid and Castlevania games have a pretty linear path to go through, but can branch off at the player's whim. So it's not like Non-Linear games are intentionally vague either.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That might get him to at least take a look at the village, but not necessarily that Yoshis could actively steal babies from neighboring villages. He knows what they are like, and he could even have that confused expression when he gets the news like, "Really, Yoshis? I don't buy it."

So how about a throwaway line about some drought that causes a shortage of fruit? You never saw Yoshis go after other live prey before since their land gave them alternatives, but they could now (again, in the Tri-Dino's point-of-view) be FORCED to take action like this. It doesn't have to be true, just plausible enough for Mario to believe it :yoshi:
Maybe. I do wanna find some more ways for the villages as well as other areas to still have story relevance after their introduction chapters so anything that could imply more screentime and stuff for Mario to do would be nice.
Also just wanted to point out that her sons wouldn’t be babies, they’d be more like teenagers, but still relatively small enough

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I...didn't rule them out? Saying I expect more 3rd parties or more of the same doesn't mean I'm ruling out the idea of 1st party characters. It's simply that the model of adding 3rd parties has spanned 7/8 DLC newcomers across two games, to me, is telling.

Then there's the fact that the current 3rd party model has also added entirely new series to Smash, which many 1st party choices fly directly in the face of. But that doesn't mean we couldn't get a first party. I just feel that if it's "We're getting 10 characters, ONE OF THEM would be 1st party", I don't see the logic when there are still several 3rd parties that would be excellent additions.

Also, we have no confirmation of what else is coming. Suggesting we're getting 10 additional DLC characters is generous, but I think the safer bet, at least until we get more information, is a 2nd Season of DLC.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't necessarily equate missing Spirit events to "Ermagherd they're playable" just yet.

Right now it's literally just games that didn't get spirit events.

Otherwise, Gooigi is just as eligible as Edelgard right now.
The absence is intriguing ngl, unless Nintendo didn't want them for some reason but still they added FE3H to a Tetris event.

The fact that we keep on getting spirit events, makes me more confident in the idea that pretty much like AT, Spirits disconfirm until they don't.
Sakurai's commented on Smash Bros. being nominated for the Game Awards - going by the translation, he seems a little confused, though I'm not sure if he's joking or not.

Going by Google translate, the Tweet says "Why is the Smash Bros. SP last year's game nominated? When I thought, The Game Awards last year was one day before the release date. This is where Joker stole the invitation. I was also impressed by the performance of the orchestra. " ...Obviously not the most accurate translation, but it gets the idea across.
I do wonder if Nintendo plans to reveal a newcomer without Sakurai's knowledge. Or... its being revealed somewhere else.

Shroob

Sup?
implying thats a bad thing

shroob can you tell me what the **** this means
You said Porky's your son

I choose to ignore the metaphorical sense and imply that Larda Minch is your wife.

It's funnier and a lot more ****ed up that way.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I will say, if they make a new Crash game, a more Linear focused one would make sense. The remakes sold really well, and the first 3 games were pretty linear outside of split paths and skips.

Spyro on the other hand should be more open ended. Hell, since both are made by the same dudes now, both of those platformer styles can get more titles in with Crash and Spyro getting games back to back.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I will say, if they make a new Crash game, a more Linear focused one would make sense. The remakes sold really well, and the first 3 games were pretty linear outside of split paths and skips.

Spyro on the other hand should be more open ended. Hell, since both are made by the same dudes now, both of those platformer styles can get more titles in with Crash and Spyro getting games back to back.
What about a game that crosses over the two?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, I do find the absences intriguing. It's as I said before, that Nintendo based newcomers would be only added if they weren't spirits.

However, I don't think it's a sure enough bet to consider it "Happening" at this point. That's really all I'm saying.

Shroob

Sup?
I...didn't rule them out? Saying I expect more 3rd parties or more of the same doesn't mean I'm ruling out the idea of 1st party characters. It's simply that the model of adding 3rd parties has spanned 7/8 DLC newcomers across two games, to me, is telling.

Then there's the fact that the current 3rd party model has also added entirely new series to Smash, which many 1st party choices fly directly in the face of. But that doesn't mean we couldn't get a first party. I just feel that if it's "We're getting 10 characters, ONE OF THEM would be 1st party", I don't see the logic when there are still several 3rd parties that would be excellent additions.

Also, we have no confirmation of what else is coming. Suggesting we're getting 10 additional DLC characters is generous, but I think the safer bet, at least until we get more information, is a 2nd Season of DLC.
I mean, do we really not?

Sure, we can sit here and pretend to not know 100% for sure, but we have very good reason to say we're getting at the very least a 2nd pass, considering that the DLC was a "Huge financial success" or something to that line.

And that's not even to say the World of Light DLC slots that were added which were 16 slots, which lines up to 15+Piranha Plant.

Does that mean exactly 2 more passes are set in stone? Not necessarily, but at the same time, it pretty much confirms that they were thinking far, FAR ahead as early on a Feb.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Push translated it which makes the grammar here make more sense:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
What about a game that crosses over the two?
Tough choice. I would say Mega Man it(some random amount of levels, and you choose which ones you want to play), but Crash kind of does that on a world by world basis, as does Spyro. Spyro's abilities are more acclimated to larger open levels. Mario 3D world has big ass levels, but are linear in nature. That would be a good middle ground between the two, along with a Mega Man-ish level select. And Crash could be given stuff like Double Jump in place of Gliding for traversal purposes. Not to mention the Hyper Spin thing from Crash 3.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, do we really not?

Sure, we can sit here and pretend to not know 100% for sure, but we have very good reason to say we're getting at the very least a 2nd pass, considering that the DLC was a "Huge financial success" or something to that line.

And that's not even to say the World of Light DLC slots that were added which were 16 slots, which lines up to 15+Piranha Plant.

Does that mean exactly 2 more passes are set in stone? Not necessarily, but at the same time, it pretty much confirms that they were thinking far, FAR ahead as early on a Feb.
Let's be honest here, I'd be thrilled with 10 more DLC picks because odds are that I wouldn't have a single request left if that were to happen.

At the same time, I don't think it's a good idea to get ahead of ourselves when we haven't even gotten through the first set of DLC characters. I think it's totally possible that we get more than a 2nd season, but to start considering that now is...I think, a bit too far ahead. That, though, is mainly because of how this fanbase gets with never preparing itself for the end, and then getting buried with salt.

The #1 way this fanbase is going to get completely ass-blasted is if we get 10 additional DLC characters and none are 1st party. To assume, suddenly, that all the missing spirits are getting in down the line is, potentially, setting folks up for disappointment.

I mean, hey, I think Astral Chain and Three Houses both have great candidates. But I still get the feeling we're going to get more 3rd party crossovers.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I swear to god Death Stranding better not win over Resident Evil 2 or, to a lesser extent, Smash especially since it, for some reason, was nominated over Devil May Cry 5. I'd be annoyed.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Zinith Zinith I’m also thinking of doing some concepts art of the areas down the line, thoughts on what I could do to give the villages some personality? So far I have in mind that they’d be two story buildings that use the wheels from the Reznor bosses as elevators.

D

Deleted member

Yo, that green stuff? That's Gooigi.
While never seen in his humanoid form, Gooigi is technically present in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as he is stored inside Luigi's Poltergust G-00, which he uses for his grabs and Final Smash. (From Mario wiki)
tbh I don't think "Gooigi is technically in the game already" is a good reason for why there are no LM3 spirits, especially when, like you already said, he sees no active use.

Shroob

Sup?
Let's be honest here, I'd be thrilled with 10 more DLC picks because odds are that I wouldn't have a single request left if that were to happen.

At the same time, I don't think it's a good idea to get ahead of ourselves when we haven't even gotten through the first set of DLC characters. I think it's totally possible that we get more than a 2nd season, but to start considering that now is...I think, a bit too far ahead. That, though, is mainly because of how this fanbase gets with never preparing itself for the end, and then getting buried with salt.

The #1 way this fanbase is going to get completely ass-blasted is if we get 10 additional DLC characters and none are 1st party. To assume, suddenly, that all the missing spirits are getting in down the line is, potentially, setting folks up for disappointment.

I mean, hey, I think Astral Chain and Three Houses both have great candidates. But I still get the feeling we're going to get more 3rd party crossovers.
I think this comes down to a Bayonetta in Smash 4 situation, and what I mean is that the majority of the pass sales came pretty much very close to when it was released, much like how Bayonetta's votes apparently came very close to the poll launching.

The fact that they were willing to add an additional 10 slots before we even got our first pass character, to me at least, tells me that they're rather confident that they'll be able to fill them.

Sure, they 'could' just be there to look pretty and be 'just in case' things, but if we're in this same situation a year from now, we're gonna need to dig up the ancient shocked Pikachu memes methinks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom