• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Shroob

Sup?
The fact that both Glastrier and Spectrier are in the DLC but Calyrex seemingly isn't is a decision of all time.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
More employees =/= better product, and if they weren't skilled they wouldn't be there.

agreed

PP is the game MP, and there for balance reasons. Some Pokemon would be blatantly OP if they had generic MP pool that scales with their levels.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Struggle_(move)

???

Agreed
I'm just thinking about a single player experience. I forgot about PvP and competitive stuff. Nobody cares if the Ultima Weapon in Final Fantasy is OP, for example. Maybe if your MP pool was based on your "party level" like how flower points work in Mario RPGs? I mean, that would still be frustrating too but it would be a different kind of frustraiting... And you don't always have access to Struggle, you only can use it if you run out of other moves and it also damages you. So it's not a very good option.
Some of this (not all, there’s a few legitimate points) reads less like what Pokemon needs to really improve and more like what Pokemon needs for you to be more interested.

Which, fair enough I suppose. But this is a you problem, don’t make it out to be the franchise’s problem :nifty:
I mean, if most JRPGs do something a certain way, maybe there's a reason for that, just saying. But you do have a point. Even with Final Fantasy under my belt it wasn't until I played Digimon Cyber Sleuth for the first time that it really hit me why Pokemon's battle system just irks me. And seeing another monster battler with a traditional RPG battling system made me kind of focus in on it. But that game doesn't have a tournament scene so I guess that wouldn't be viable for them. I guess... maybe it could, I don't know...
Like, Pokemon wasn't developed in a vacuum. Other turn based JRPGs existed while it was being made, and they existed on the original cream colored brick as well. It's hard to understand why so many of the things that make those games fun (to me) are just ignored in the most profitable media franchise of all time when I think they would make the experience so much more enjoyable. Like, did they not know? Did they just want to be different? Or did they just think that battle system was fine? The first Saga game was right there, and it even had a system in place where you could transform one of your party members into a significant amount of the games enemy characters, similar to Pokemon, and it came out in 1989 in Japan on the same platform. Heck, both sequels came out, again on the same platform, well before Red and Green. It wasn't impossible. It makes me want to just shout "do better" at them and force them to go back to the drawing board... in the early 90s... which is impossible and now we have this ouraboros that can't change significantly in the battle system department aside from what Legend's Arceus did which ammounts to the turns going in a wonky order and sometimes your moves take more PP to do more damage or... go faster? I think? I swear I used both styles and it was also explained to me what they are supposed to do and I never noticed any significant differnce. I could still one shot everything. Sigh, whatever.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Ngl it is funny seeing how fast Gamefreak game up on SwSh. Like idk how to describe it but it genuinely felt like they wanted to be done with that game and move on. No spinoffs, no anime, barely any promotional material, they dumped the DLC and dipped.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ngl it is funny seeing how fast Gamefreak game up on SwSh. Like idk how to describe it but it genuinely felt like they wanted to be done with that game and move on. No spinoffs, no anime, barely any promotional material, they dumped the DLC and dipped.
It's not even in Pokemon Go. They skipped straight to Paldea.

That's kinda ****ed up, but also kinda funny :4wario2:

Shroob

Sup?
Hey now.

Lavivngton is from Galar.

Idk why the Brits are in ancient Japan but :nifty:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What shorter generations in a time when games need more time to make does to a franchise.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Even they know no one wants to stick around in Br*tain

Noipoi

Howdy!
Be me
Witness your sister getting engaged at 23
Glad she's happy, but think it's a bit early
Go in Instagram
Childhood friemd getting engaged at 22
Two more people that I know around my sisters age getting engaged and married
I'm turning 22 in less than 4 months
View attachment 381631
We're at that weird stage in life where half the people we know are getting married and having children and the other half (us included) still feel like we're basically kids.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
We're at that weird stage in life where half the people we know are getting married and having children and the other half (us included) still feel like we're basically kids.
It is weird. Like the day before my sisters wedding my Dad was talking about how marriage should be a top 10 priority for me, meanwhile I'm too busy thinking of the next anime poster I'm gonna get.

Like you talking about marriage? When I never dated anyone in my life? Marriage? Like deadass?
nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It is weird. Like the day before my sisters wedding my Dad was talking about how marriage should be a top 10 priority for me, meanwhile I'm too busy thinking of the next anime poster I'm gonna get.

Like you talking about marriage? When I never dated anyone in my life? Marriage? Like deadass?
I felt the same way when my younger cousin got married at 23 last year. I want to put myself out there more but my introverted nature always gets the better of me. My family mostly jokes about Grandchildren, but there is definitely some eyebrows raised here and there.

Of course, I'm also remembering that my Mom was 27 and my Dad was 43 when they married, so age is definitely relative.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Arlo just posted his 2024 wishlist, so imma post mine
I hope that if we do get a new system next year the first couple games are cross generation so that I don’t have to buy it.

I hope we get something from Donkey Kong finally. (That’s not Mario vs. Donkey Kong)

I hope Wario gets a new platformer.

I wish for another 3D World esque Mario game that’s not open and not a sandbox. (Arlo proceeds to hiss like a cat)

As someone who doesn’t like open worlds and since exploration doesn’t even occur to me as something I should do when playing games, I would like some sign that Pokémon will have at least some games I’ll enjoy in the future.

I wish that Microsoft will not kill the Crash and Spyro IPs now that it owns them, and that we’ll get actual games from them in the near future that aren’t multiplayer focused experiments like rumble.

I wish Rareware’s vast catalogues of IPs would actually get used. Particularly Banjo-Kazooie, Battletoads, and Killer Instinct. And I hope the new Perfect Dark is actually good.

I wish God of War would go back to its roots and stop pursuing the current trend of over the shoulder “lock and strafe” combat.

I wish the gaming industry would just stop it with all these open world games and shooters and sci fi mech space games. Give us some variety!

I wish for Sonic levels in PowerWash Simulator.

I wish for Arlo to star in his own 3D platformer.

And I wish for the original Angry Birds games to become playable again without microtransactions since they’ve been delisted.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Oh, my 2024 gaming wishlist?

More RPGs. I love them.

As for my own gaming goals:
  • Play more Non Nintendo games. Turns out I find them to be more fun than a lot of Nintendo Games I played. Probably cause they offered a different experience where I had over a decade of being familiar with Nintendo.
  • Get games for my PlayStation. Spiderman is on the menu.
  • Get a PS5. That's not happening. But wishful thinking
  • Finish my backlog of games I started but never finished

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Watching people play modded Minecraft that adds Dweller-type mobs is entertaining.

There's several of them now including things like the Midnight Lurker and Starved Stalker, but the Cave Dweller seems to have been the first of it's kind and remains the most popular. Add in the From the Fog Herobrine mod, and Minecraft basically turns into a straight-up Survival Horror game.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Noipoi's Dreams and Desires for the Year of our Lord 2024:

. If there are remakes of B/W, please let them be more like HG/SS and ORAS. No more BDSP remakes.
. TTYD needs to sell. Like, really sell. Also I don't want it to release too late into the year. First half of 24, please.
. Announce Metroid Prime 4. I'm not even a Metroid fan, I just need to know this game still exists.
. New Donkey Kong game (cope)

. Mario Wonder dlc with more levels, preferably tougher ones.
. Super Mario Odyssey 2, baybee! Or really any new sandbox Mario. It's been almost 7 years since the last one, it is time.

And speaking of it being time for certain things...

. Reveal the next Nintendo console by the end of the year. I love the Switch with all my heart, but it's getting old. I think it's about time for a new generation to start.

. WIth the announcement of the next console, reveal that a new Super Smash Bros is in the works. Don't show it off yet, just say enough to get the juices flowing. Chaos ensues :nifty:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I wanna get a PS5 to buy the game my friend's in just to support her.

But I ain't spending that much for one game.

Also I don't even got a TV.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Finished the last October drawing.

Charlie Brown trick-or-treats at the Mario Bros' house. (also I drew Hatsune Miku as a witch girl, based on a figure's art)

I learned the "Moments" feature on Twitter apparently doesn't exist anymore, at least for most users (including me), so I guess I can't compile all of the art on there (unless I make a thread full of self-retweets or reposts, I guess). I'll figure something out tomorrow.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I don’t think I can justify getting a PS5 unless it hits $300 or so. The majority of its library comes to Steam so I’d mostly be using it as an upgraded PS4.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
My only gaming wish-list is to probably keep downsizing my collection, but then I keep remembering that I have a Sega Saturn & Dreamcast my Uncle gave to me last year that I need to tinker with. Also the Analogue Duo just came out and I've always wanted to dip my toe into the PC Engine library.

Also to finally complete the first Fire Emblem Warriors. I'm almost 200 hours in and I'm still not close to finishing each level, let alone obtaining each Support Conversation. :drsad:

Top Bottom