• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

When do you expect a Switch Successor announcement?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Correct me if I'm wrong. But is Legends Arceus the first example of regional evolutions not coming from regional variants. Like. Regional Evolutions were introduced in Galar but they all came from regional variants first. You couldn't get Mr. Rhyme from a non Galarian Mr. Mime. Unless I'm missing an example. So then, if that's true, what makes Kleavor and Ursaluna different from say, Magnezone, who needed to be leveled up in a specific place in Sinnoh when first introduced to evolve. Or Misdreavous needing the Dusk Stone which wasn't introduced till it was. Call me crazy and grasping at straws, I know the answer is likely that "they're regional evolutions because GameFreak says they are", but like, if you look at everything honestly and frankly, I think Ursaluna and Kleavor might be the first true cross gen evos we've had in a while.
Ez, the difference is that some evos come from straight up incomplete lines while others don't.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Ez, the difference is that some evos come from straight up incomplete lines while others don't.
Well that doesn't really apply to Kleavor. It's an Alternate. It's just like Politoad. Or the Eevees. And as for Ursaluna... i know "complete lines" has something to do with it's stats, but does that mean regular Ursaring's stats are different in Legends Arceus? Or was it just an incomplete line before?
They are. Along with Wyrdeer.
I forgot about Wyrdeer.

Last edited:

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
LBT VIII is the best one and I won't hear otherwise. /hj

Alright so as of right now, I have access to the following Kirby games:
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • Kirby's Dream Land 3
  • Kirby 64
I've also tried Avalanche for myself. I am not good at Puyo Puyo. :4pacman:

Which game should I play first?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Little sister is still obsessed with Sonic.

Gonna get Origins, so she can play.

I have brought another into the void that is Sonic fandom :sonic:

What is your definition of content? cause like... to me it feels like the same amount just stretched out and able to be done non-linearly.
Dragons, of course.

Preferably ones you can ride.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Fun Fact.

Coincidentally enough given both films involve around prehistoric animal characters but in different time periods. Ice Age was going to be a traditionally 2D animated film by Don Bluth.

Rather curious how that could have turned out. Seems Brother Bear (Which is set in post-Ice Age Alaska) will ever be the closest we'll get to that.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
feels like we know even less then we knew about SwSh at this point in it's release cycle.
So out of curiosity, I went to check when was unvieled at this time for SwSh.

• The reveal
  • Dynamax
  • Dex Cut
  • The very first town in Galar
  • Wild Area
  • Competitive Trailer
  • The following characters: Leon, Hop, Sonia, Mangolia, Bede, Marnie, Team Yell, Nessa
  • The following mon: The starters, G-ZigZagGoon, Dreadnaw, Wooloo, the legendaries, G-Weezing, Morpeko, Duraludon, Alcreme, Rolycolly Impidimp (not official revealed), Yamper, Glossifuer and Eldegloss

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
You've read enough of my rants, i'd reciprocate
Well in that case-

And remember that I'm talking about MY subjective opinions here. (And yes, I know my post was rather objective. It's called comedy.)

In this particular instance, when I'm referring to content I specifically mean the adventure aspect of a Pokémon game. Cuz that's what they're supposed to be, adventures.

If we're talking competitive SwSh was a goddamn godsend. The way they streamlined the whole process of making a viable Pokémon was nearly immaculate. But...I'm not a competitive player. I'm a player who wants to immerse myself in this world. I want to imagine that I truly live in an expansive region, caught between lush forests and bustling cities. Populated by magical creatures who I can befriend.

And while SwSh did have the friendship aspect, but so does every other Pokemon game. What the games didn't have was an immersive world.

With the exception of one field in the middle, the entire region is a bunch of hallways. How am I supposed to envision myself on an epic quest through the wild, when "the wild" is the length and width of an aisle at the grocery store? Not only is it dull, it also just looks very artificial.

I love it when a game can give me a unique story. Like playing BOTW and running somewhere with enemies who could destroy me, and finding a way to persevere. Or playing Mario Odyssey and finding a moon in a way you weren't quite supposed to. Or playing Legends Arceus and managing to catch a Pokemon that you'd think you wouldn't be able to.

I love having these stories. I love sharing them with other players. It's special to me, and it helps me feel like my experience was uniquely mine.

SwSh just isn't built for moments like this. Everyone's gonna play the game the same way, because they have to. Aside form which Pokémon they use, everybody's gonna go through the exact same beats. There's nothing to discover, nothing to just...get lost in.

So, from my point of view, Scarlet and Violet already has way more content than SwSh. Being able to traverse the region at your own pace makes it feel like your adventure, and not like the game is forcing you down one specific (and very linear) path. And because of the three stories, there's far more variety in how different players will experience the game as they play through it. Maybe they do each story straight through, maybe they hop from one to another at random, there are tons of possibilities!

Me and my dragon buddy are gonna travel Paldea on our terms, getting into whatever shenanigans we find while exploring. Our experience will be uniquely ours, not just in what Pokemon are on the team, but in how we explore this world. And in exactly what ways we do it.

Now obviously the game isn't out yet. Maybe it's poopy poopy butts. And I don't think it's gonna be GOTY or anything.

But, for my money, it's already looking like a better adventure than The Great British Hallway Fest (2019)

Also

Dragons :nifty:

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Cyclizar is so cute, it's like a little buddy version of Koraidon/Miraidon.

He studies Mega Evolution, so maybe something like Scizor or Kangaskhan?

They could also do Charizard Y as he gives out the Kanto Starters, but after Pikachu and Lucario I'm not sure people would like that much.
Kangaskhan would be a pretty cool mega. Giovanni could get it but I don’t know if we would ever get him with it. So this could work pretty well. Scizor will probably come with Bugsy at some point maybe.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, Mega Man X Engine adds even more cool stuff to it!

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
It seems you are easy to please.

And y'know what...

That's dope bro
It honestly depends on the franchise, because I am fully capable of nitpicking things to death and am known to be very...Harsh towards things I do not care for lol.

but Kirby is one of those games where like

I'm pretty sure it is nearly impossible to make a mainline game for that series that I wouldn't love. :dedede:

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
It honestly depends on the franchise, because I am fully capable of nitpicking things to death and am known to be very...Harsh towards things I do not care for lol.

but Kirby is one of those games where like

I'm pretty sure it is nearly impossible to make a mainline game for that series that I wouldn't love. :dedede:
Honestly Star Allies wasn't even bad. It was just a basic Kirby game, with a few minor design flaws thanks to the friend mechanic, that should've been ironed out.

I understand it was underwhelming for some, but it was still fun. And it didn't deserve all the **** it got.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Honestly Star Allies wasn't even bad. It was just a basic Kirby game, with a few minor design flaws thanks to the friend mechanic, that should've been ironed out.

I understand it was underwhelming for some, but it was still fun. And it didn't deserve all the **** it got.
It's a franchise that's probably even more dear to me than Sonic and Mario combined, and seeing them bring back Magalor, Susie, AND Adeleine and Ribbon just kinda got me like

6ki286w72zd41[56].jpg

Adeleine and Ribbon's reveal trailer got me as hyped as a Smash Bros. trailer would TBH.

The game 100% isn't perfect but the lore, music, controls, and immense amount of fan service were all some of the franchise's best and I just have a hard time not loving it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So out of curiosity, I went to check when was unvieled at this time for SwSh.

• The reveal
  • Dynamax
  • Dex Cut
  • The very first town in Galar
  • Wild Area
  • Competitive Trailer
  • The following characters: Leon, Hop, Sonia, Mangolia, Bede, Marnie, Team Yell, Nessa
  • The following mon: The starters, G-ZigZagGoon, Dreadnaw, Wooloo, the legendaries, G-Weezing, Morpeko, Duraludon, Alcreme, Rolycolly Impidimp (not official revealed), Yamper, Glossifuer and Eldegloss
Yeah. Feels like we knew more.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well in that case-

And remember that I'm talking about MY subjective opinions here. (And yes, I know my post was rather objective. It's called comedy.)

In this particular instance, when I'm referring to content I specifically mean the adventure aspect of a Pokémon game. Cuz that's what they're supposed to be, adventures.

If we're talking competitive SwSh was a goddamn godsend. The way they streamlined the whole process of making a viable Pokémon was nearly immaculate. But...I'm not a competitive player. I'm a player who wants to immerse myself in this world. I want to imagine that I truly live in an expansive region, caught between lush forests and bustling cities. Populated by magical creatures who I can befriend.

And while SwSh did have the friendship aspect, but so does every other Pokemon game. What the games didn't have was an immersive world.

With the exception of one field in the middle, the entire region is a bunch of hallways. How am I supposed to envision myself on an epic quest through the wild, when "the wild" is the length and width of an aisle at the grocery store? Not only is it dull, it also just looks very artificial.

I love it when a game can give me a unique story. Like playing BOTW and running somewhere with enemies who could destroy me, and finding a way to persevere. Or playing Mario Odyssey and finding a moon in a way you weren't quite supposed to. Or playing Legends Arceus and managing to catch a Pokemon that you'd think you wouldn't be able to.

I love having these stories. I love sharing them with other players. It's special to me, and it helps me feel like my experience was uniquely mine.

SwSh just isn't built for moments like this. Everyone's gonna play the game the same way, because they have to. Aside form which Pokémon they use, everybody's gonna go through the exact same beats. There's nothing to discover, nothing to just...get lost in.

So, from my point of view, Scarlet and Violet already has way more content than SwSh. Being able to traverse the region at your own pace makes it feel like your adventure, and not like the game is forcing you down one specific (and very linear) path. And because of the three stories, there's far more variety in how different players will experience the game as they play through it. Maybe they do each story straight through, maybe they hop from one to another at random, there are tons of possibilities!

Me and my dragon buddy are gonna travel Paldea on our terms, getting into whatever shenanigans we find while exploring. Our experience will be uniquely ours, not just in what Pokemon are on the team, but in how we explore this world. And in exactly what ways we do it.

Now obviously the game isn't out yet. Maybe it's poopy poopy butts. And I don't think it's gonna be GOTY or anything.

But, for my money, it's already looking like a better adventure than The Great British Hallway Fest (2019)

Also

Dragons :nifty:
Fair point. I can definitely understand that this method of game progression is appealing to other people. I just don’t get much from exploration I guess. To each their own.

Top Bottom