• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The So Called Nerd Is Ready To Play - Reese Worthington Support Thread

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Reese_2003.png

Reese in Backyard Baseball 2003

Reese Worthington is one of the 30 playable kids in Backyard Baseball. He is known for his surprising athletic abilities despite having asthma and grass allergies. Also, he is not a nerd. Stop stereotyping.

Why Reese, out of all the kids?
Reese is one of the more prevalent kids in the marketing of the series, remaining on as many kids were dropped and appearing in a whole bunch of supplementary material for the series. He also appears in Backyard Skateboarding and was actually moved from a regular character to a boss in the GOTY edition. He is also a fairly expressive character and one who would logically translate well to Smash.

What can Reese do?
Reese can play in a whole bunch of various sports, including baseball, football, hockey, soccer, basketball, and even skateboarding. His moveset is sports-based and will be posted later.

Reveal Trailer Concept
The trailer starts with a normal game of baseball, featuring many of the beloved characters from the series, while a mysterious figure with a hoodie on is watching the game from a distance. Eventually, a Smash invitation falls into the stadium, and everyone starts beating each other up for the invitation. Eventually, Pablo Sanchez comes out on top, and as he is about to be announced as the final Smash Ultimate DLC character he is suddenly struck in the face by a baseball and falls to the ground where he passes out. When he finally wakes up he sees the figure in the hoodie, who was also responsible for hitting him in the head with a baseball. The figure then rips off the hoodie, revealing himself as none other than Reese Worthington. Reese then grabs the invite off the ground, gets his bat in an action pose as the tagline "Reese Batters Up!" appears on screen.

Reese's Cool Kid Buddies
SneakyLink SneakyLink

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I’m surprised we don’t have a proper sports move outside maybe one or two.

Plus one “Cool Kid Buddy”
Yeah. A Backyard Sports character would fill that niche. And besides, Reese is cool. In fact, he's my personal favorite out of all the Backyard Kids. I do have some ideas for Reese's special moves and Final Smash. This goes true for all the Backyard Kids, as they play almost identically in the games.

Neutral Special: Baseball Toss
Reese tosses a baseball using his bat. The baseball is a solid projectile so it cannot be absorbed by Mr. Game & Watch and the PSI boys, but Villager and Isabelle can pocket it.

Up Special: Slam Dunk
Reese jumps up with a basketball in hand and slams down onto the ground. This move is somewhat similar to King Dedede's Up Special.

Side Special: Soccer Kick
Reese places a soccer ball onto the field, which he kicks at the target. Not only does this move deal a decent amount of damage, it summons a Soccer Ball item onto the field. This move summons a Soccer Ball item even if items are turned off.

Down Special: Grind
Reese pulls out his skateboard and grinds against the target. Reese is completely stationary as long as he uses it, but it can rack up a lot of damage.

Final Smash: Aluminum Bat
Reese uses his bat to knock the unfortunate target onto a baseball field, and Reese himself is up to bat. The pitcher serves Reese a pitch, which he hits using the Aluminum Bat powerup from the actual games. The target is hit with the ball and sent flying. This is a cutscene Final Smash that can does a lot of damage, but it can only hit one target at a time.

I am also confused about his shirt in the later games. Are the black vertical lines meant to be suspenders, or are they part of his shirt? If they are suspenders, then that is weird because Reese hates being seen as a nerd.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I am also confused about his shirt in the later games. Are the black vertical lines meant to be suspenders, or are they part of his shirt? If they are suspenders, then that is weird because Reese hates being seen as a nerd.
I think they're part of his shirt since as you mention, Reese hates being seen as a nerd.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Reese could translate well to Smash, especially considering he's one of the more expressive characters on the roster. Reese would also have a lot of unique animations, such as with his grabs. Reese grabs opponents in a unique fashion, as he actually tackles them to the ground, like you would do in American Football.
I think they're part of his shirt since as you mention, Reese hates being seen as a nerd.
You're probably right, but it's still weird to think about.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
My idea for Reese's Classic Mode route is called Drafting a Team. You fight against a variety of characters, most of which relate to sports or competitions. In the Final Round, Reese teams up with all the characters he fought along the route to fight the boss at the end. This references Backyard Sports: Sandlot Sluggers and Rookie Rush, with those games focusing on you battling a variety of opponents and recruiting the leaders of the teams you fought along the way to help you defeat a boss team at the end. Neither game features Reese.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As for Reese, I do have more ideas coming up for him, including an entrance animation, taunt ideas, and even his home stage.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Another question for all you Cool Kid Buddies: Why do you think Sakurai would pick Reese out of all 30 OG Backyard Sports characters?

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I support. I am glad you finally made a moveset; it is more engaging that way! As far as nerd-hood is concerned, what if he is? Let him consider it a compliment! There is an interesting history about the word 'nerd,' including one tradition which states that it is derived from 'knurd,' which is 'drunk' in reverse!

P.S.: RileyXY1 RileyXY1 , it is not advisable, if you do not want moderators to have anything to say, that you post multiple times in succession, but rather edit posts to include more information. This post-script message was inserted in that fashion.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
P.S.: RileyXY1 RileyXY1 RileyXY1 RileyXY1 , it is not advisable, if you do not want moderators to have anything to say, that you post multiple times in succession, but rather edit posts to include more information. This post-script message was inserted in that fashion.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think double-posts are fine if they're in between long periods of time.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think double-posts are fine if they're in between long periods of time.
I shall check, but I would not know for certain what constitutes "long" periods of time. I just prefer to play it safe until I find further information, and recommend the same for others. If a moderator does have something against the post, the poster would have nothing to say. I would like to spare them that if I can help it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I support. I am glad you finally made a moveset; it is more engaging that way! As far as nerd-hood is concerned, what if he is? Let him consider it a compliment! There is an interesting history about the word 'nerd,' including one tradition which states that it is derived from 'knurd,' which is 'drunk' in reverse!

P.S.: RileyXY1 RileyXY1 , it is not advisable, if you do not want moderators to have anything to say, that you post multiple times in succession, but rather edit posts to include more information. This post-script message was inserted in that fashion.
If you've ever played the games, you would know that Reese hates being called a nerd. But, it's cool. I always wanted to see a sports-based character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Here's some more Reese stuff: Victory Screens!

Screen 1: Reese jumps up and down twice before striking a v pose.
Screen 2: Reese swings his bat twice and then poses with it.
Screen 3: Reese does a small dance.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Yeah. A Backyard Sports character would fill that niche. And besides, Reese is cool. In fact, he's my personal favorite out of all the Backyard Kids. I do have some ideas for Reese's special moves and Final Smash. This goes true for all the Backyard Kids, as they play almost identically in the games.

Neutral Special: Baseball Toss
Reese tosses a baseball using his bat. The baseball is a solid projectile so it cannot be absorbed.

Up Special: Slam Dunk
Reese jumps up with a basketball in hand and slams down onto the ground. This move is somewhat similar to King Dedede's Up Special.

Side Special: Soccer Kick
Reese places a soccer ball onto the field, which he kicks at the target. Not only does this move deal a decent amount of damage, it summons a Soccer Ball item onto the field. This move doesn't summon a Soccer Ball item if items are turned off.

Down Special: Grind
Reese pulls out his skateboard and grinds against the target. Reese is completely stationary as long as he uses it, but it can rack up a lot of damage.

Final Smash: Aluminum Bat
Reese uses his bat to knock the unfortunate target onto a baseball field, and Reese himself is up to bat. The pitcher serves Reese a pitch, which he hits using the Aluminum Bat powerup from the actual games. The target is hit with the ball and sent flying. This is a cutscene Final Smash that can does a lot of damage, but it can only hit one target at a time.

I think it should summon a soccer ball even with items off. Diddy has his banana. That's just my opinion. It could add more excitement to a regular game. Some people might disagree with me. ( The competitive types who hate items)

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I think it should summon a soccer ball even with items off. Diddy has his banana. That's just my opinion. It could add more excitement to a regular game. Some people might disagree with me. ( The competitive types who hate items)
I certainly do not disagree. It would eliminate the problem of the obvious desire of Reese's opponent to turn items off as a situational loss of a special move.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I certainly do not disagree. It would eliminate the problem of the obvious desire of Reese's opponent to turn items off as a situational loss of a special move.
Maybe I can use Reese's own item against him like he's pacman. hahahahah.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Thanks to feedback, I changed the description of Reese's side special so that it would now summon a soccer ball item even if items are turned off. Also, I am forming some concepts, including his taunts, the stage that he comes with, and the music that he comes with as well. I also made note that the projectile produced by his neutral special can be pocketed by Villager/Isabelle.

Last edited:

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Badass. Quick question. I have a cast and am looking for games I can play until I heal. Is backyard sports a game I can play with one hand, and how do I get it?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Badass. Quick question. I have a cast and am looking for games I can play until I heal. Is backyard sports a game I can play with one hand, and how do I get it?
Given the fact that the games can be played with only a mouse, yes, and the games can be found on online retail stores like Ebay and Amazon. The original 1997 game is very difficult to set up on modern computers so people mostly go for Baseball 2001 and 2003.

Last edited:

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I really suck at this game. Is there a way to run faster? I'm playing 1997.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I really suck at this game. Is there a way to run faster? I'm playing 1997.
1997 is quite dated mechanics wise, and it doesn't even have pros. The fact that setting it up is incredibly difficult adds to your general frustration. I do see a lot of people playing 1997 effectively, so given enough time you probably won't be as frustrated. Also, Reese will generally be a fast and lightweight character. He would be able to wall jump and wall cling.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
What about his inhaler? Does he use that in his moveset?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm trying to think of reasons why Sakurai would pick Reese specifically out of all the characters in Backyard Sports.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
He chose Min min who wasn't the face of Arms. Who knows why she picked her. But if he was going with the face of backyard sports I'd say Pablo (or Maybe Mr. Clanky but that might be a stretch I just like the guy)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
He chose Min min who wasn't the face of Arms. Who knows why she picked her. But if he was going with the face of backyard sports I'd say Pablo (or Maybe Mr. Clanky but that might be a stretch I just like the guy)
Backyard Sports is in a similar situation to ARMS, as the games don't really favor any kid over the others. The "everyone is the protagonist" argument could also work here.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Backyard Sports is in a similar situation to ARMS, as the games don't really favor any kid over the others. The "everyone is the protagonist" argument could also work here.
Yeah but some characters of been in more games than others

Edit: An exception to this might be how they chose Isabelle over Tom Nook.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah but some characters of been in more games than others
That is true. Pablo, Tony, and the Webbers have been in every game, with Dmitri, Kiesha, Vicky, Jorge, Achmed, Ricky, and Dante missing one, and Pete, Reese, and Annie missing two. Angela, Ernie, Lisa, Maria, and Marky were at least kept during the retool in Baseball 2007. Jocinda at least got to be in Skateboarding, while Kimmy, Luanne, and Stephanie returned in the 2015 mobile games after long absences. The rest have been missing for a very long time and have low priority.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
In terms of Reese looks, this one is my favorite.

Reese_Worthington.png

If Reese gets in Smash, I would prefer if he looked like this. It's more distinctive and it gives him a better sense of uniqueness and identity than his other designs.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Welcome back after a bit over a month of hiatus, and now I am continuing my support for Reese. I have plenty of other ideas for him coming.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
E3 is coming. I know that they're probably not gonna showcase Reese, but if they did I would be absolutely excited to see him in Smash. Reese's reveal would break the Internet, because no one would see him coming. I have a tagline idea for his reveal trailer:

REESE BATTERS UP!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
In one hour speculation might end. This might be my last post here. I know Reese has a less than 1% chance of getting in, but if he is and the odds are defied I will absolutely be excited. He is my favorite character in the series and I will be hyped to no end if he could fight the likes of Mario, Link, Sonic, and Cloud.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And as it turns out, speculation continues for one more rep. Out of nowhere, Kazuya got in, even though everyone was saying Master Chief. Reese still has a chance, albeit a small one.

Top Bottom