• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smashboards Super Smash Bros. for 3DS Roundtable!

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
The wait is almost over! Approximately four more hours at the time of this article being published until Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is released in North America and Europe. The road was filled with anticipation, debate, frustration, and more hype than should be endured by any one man or woman. With the countdown to the new Smash reaching its final hours, we, the writers for Smashboards, decided to have a roundtable of sorts where we discuss the parts of this game that we feel deserve more attention than they've received. Without further ado, we'll begin with the Editor-in-Chief.

The Derrit

The Challenge Board in Smash 4 allows you to unlock custom moves, items, and other goodies by achieving certain tasks.

As some of you may know, I've gotten to spend a considerable amount of time with the final project, both on the Japanese and English versions of the game. I've even written a review of it for Gamesided.com. One thing I didn't cover in my review, however, was the challenge board. The pink trophy icon brings you to a board where trophies, custom moves and items can be unlocked by fulfilling certain requirements. Because it's so easy to access, I found myself racing around the game, going through all different modes to unlock as many goodies as I could - I felt it gave me the full experience of the game, and I recommend you do the same! There's a lot to enjoy in Smash Bros. for 3DS and the challenge board gives you a good reason to enjoy every bit of it.

thethirdkoopa

Just eating some Yoshi and Donkey Kong.

I played Super Smash Bros. for 3DS both at Best Buy and on the demo and I've got to say that I really enjoyed it! I was a bit concerned when I heard "Smash on a handheld," but besides the grip, it still feels fantastic. I managed to mingle up three other friends and stream the demo in pseudo-doubles; I think Smash 4 will have a deep doubles game because of the mechanics - The ledge mechanics, targeting system (only available on 3DS), and more lead me to this conclusion along with the pure closeness of the matches. While the matches were close because of the equal player skill among the four of us, the matches also felt close in terms of not knowing who would win until near the end - Most doubles matches by experienced players in other Smash games are a blowout.

Possibly one of the best songs in video game history.

I'm pretty hyped for Greninja and Shulk and I can't wait to try out the Paper Mario stage. Listened to the soundtrack and it's fantastic! I look forward to the release soon in a few days and can't wait to Smash with all of you. Here's hoping too many 3DS Analog sticks don't break! :)

Warchamp7

Robin.
Robin.

ITALIAN N1NJA

The new ledge mechanic in action. If one player is on the ledge and another player is attempting to grab it, they will be trumped and lose the ledge to the other player. Also, re-grabbing ledge offstage no longer grants invincibility after the first ledge grab.
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is an ambitious title. The game introduces brand new mechanics far different from the mechanics that have been in the series for years. The new ledge mechanics in Smash 4 no longer allow ledge stalling or ledge hogging, and the way players edgeguard will morph dramatically as a result.

From experiences playing the Best Buy demo build and the current 3DS demo build, one can clearly tell that there have been significant changes in between. Much of the landing lag that was present in the earlier build seems to be significantly reduced other than the landing lag from air dodging near the ground. The entire cast of veterans seem to have received changes. An example of a change I'm personally very excited for is Link's brand new meteor.

In this installment of Super Smash Bros., Link's Down Aerial has meteor properties if it is hit within the first few frames of activation at the tip of the sword. Due to meteor canceling being non-existent from what we've seen so far, meteor smashes are stronger now than ever before.
Custom movesets will change the competitive nature of Smash 4 drastically if they are integrated into tournament rulesets in the future. Here's an example of a custom move that may cause your jaw to drop.

What?! Bombs? Meteor?! It's not possible!

By changing Link's Down Special, he can select Meteor Bomb as one of his custom moves. The Meteor Bomb has a short fuse, but if it hits an aerial opponent, it will cause a meteor smash effect to occur. Be warned that the negative consequence to this custom move is that Link cannot Bomb Jump with the Metoer Bomb equipped as it will have the same effect on Link as if it hit an aerial opponent.

What should you do? Allow this installment to have a fair shot. This title is brand new and we cannot be so quick to judge without ample time to explore the game. Eventually, the community will reach somewhat of a general consensus. The amount of depth the new installment will have is unknown to us in its' current state. A ruleset will surface once this general consensus has been reached. Do not go into this brand new iteration with a negative mindset, allow the metagame to develop over time, and most importantly, enjoy yourself. If there is no passion to play, then why play?

KhanYe

King DedeDESTRUCTION.
I've never mained Dedede in a game before, but that might change this time around. I generally like characters that look silly in playstyle and design (you'll make it one day Waluigi), and Dedede certainly looks the part. There's plenty of amazing clips of new characters in Smash 4 doing outrageous things, but Dedede looks to be more janky and hilarious than ever before. It's been relatively commonplace to dismiss this game as competitively unviable recently, but one has to remember that for every Melee tech that no longer exists in this game, there's a new tech that has yet to be discovered. Even now, people are posting brand new techs that they've found already.

How is this even possible?!

Did Yoshi... Teleport?
With these new techs being discovered before the game has even launched anywhere in Japan, it's fair to say that there's a plethora of new tech, features, and metagame-changing strategies that have yet to be discovered. Yoshi can TELEPORT. My advice? Forget about every other Smash game when you start Smash 4. If you expect Melee or Brawl when you start, you'll surely be disappointed. Take Smash 4 as it is, a new game with new mechanics, independent of the series' prior iterations. The game is clearly going to be deep and filled with new techs to discover, and if you let preconceived notions about how the game should play hold you back from enjoying the first Smash Bros. game you can play on the toilet, you're missing out.​

Thank you guys for reading, we hope you enjoyed the things we found particularly interesting and exciting about Super Smash Bros for 3DS. What parts of the game look the most exciting to you? What do you hope for in this new Smash title that has not been confirmed yet?

KhanYe is beyond bummed that he left his 3DS in the United States. Follow him on Twitter @rbdayman to send him a rental 3DS.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
THIS GAME IS GREAT; GUT IT FOLKS! Greets from Germany.(So. Many. Characters X_X)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I certainly hope after all this.. Sakurai is having one heck of a party at Namco Bandai. He deserves it for all the hard work. :)

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
In only a couple of hours, our community will rejoice! Have fun guys! :D
It's been a wild ride!

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I'm glad that this new installment is different from Melee, it'll make my coming into the competitive scene a lot easier. Super excited, even if i can't get it first thing! ^o^

Agualitos

Smash Apprentice
There has never been a game like Smash that could Hype up a community more!

This journey has been such a roller coaster and it is amazing to see everything in full effect!

I, and many other smash fans, have waited for this game for over a year. . . and now. . . well now

:) SAKURAI WE ARE READY!!!!! SSB4 HERE WE COME :)

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
We're about to reach *puts on sunglasses* the FINAL DESTINATION!:foxmelee:

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
So who else can't wait to smash *******; get play coins? :p

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to get the game, but I'm still excited to see people post about it at the moment of release.

TrevonMarrast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luigicheesecake
I am really loving Link in this game! This was my face when I saw the meteor bomb.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
You guys can party without me. I'll be sleeping soundly in my bed while the game tries to download from the laggy, overloaded servers.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
"Sigh" don't have enough money............
You guys can party without me. I'll be sleeping soundly in my bed while the game tries to download from the laggy, overloaded servers.
Oh, yeah, I'll wait .

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
This is gonna be me in about 1-3 months:
Go to school--smash bros
Go home--smash bros
Go to school--smash bros
repeat

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
SETTLE IN SMASH!

MY BOYS ARE COMING!!! AND NEW GUYS GONNA JOIN MY CLUB!!!
NEW STUFF WERE GONNA LEARN!! TOMORROW IS THE FUTURE FOR SMASH!!!

TOMORROW...
IS THE DAY... SMASH WILL SMASH THE WORLD!!!

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
This is gonna be me in about 1-3 months:
Go to school--smash bros
Go home--smash bros
Go to school--smash bros
repeat
No school for me, forever. It's gonna be Smash nonstop for me till I starve and dehydrate myself. Yep, I have my priorities straight.

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I dunno... my Japanese one downloaded in 20 minutes on a busy college campus. Mileage may vary.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
You know, it sucks when you see people in your friends list playing the full game... and you still have to wait... But somehow that makes me more hype.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Here's to new mains and new metas, everyone!

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
Well we're all excited for Smash. I'll be seeing you guys in For Glory.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Unfortunately I don't have a 3DS but this game looks amazing...I'm waiting for the Wii U one now! Hopefully next week they'll finally have a release date...they probably wanna make sure first week sales for this game are good first.

NintyTheRagekid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintyTheRageKid
3DS FC
5455-9431-1608
Switch FC
SW-2209-3322-3333
The perfect music for Smash 4 hype...
and being scared of eShop crashing... A LOT.

Last edited:

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Unfortunately I don't have a 3DS but this game looks amazing...I'm waiting for the Wii U one now! Hopefully next week they'll finally have a release date...they probably wanna make sure first week sales for this game are good first.
I admire your strength to not go out and buy a 3DS and Smash 3ds out of sheer hype.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I'm in the same boat, and PotDs like Wednesday's have pushed my hype to new heights. "Holiday 2014" can't come soon enough.

Levateinn

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lev_Zoravkov
3DS FC
0275-7009-2978
sitting here, watching parks and rec. waiting,,

got school tomorrow, dont care.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Well... To all you buyers out there sitting up on your beds watching a few tv shows or movies while you so impatiently wait for Smash 3DS, do not sleep tonight. Play the game until you hit the point where tired doesn't even feel tired anymore and continue to play even after that. Savor every moment that you have with a new addition to one of the greatest competitive video game franchises in history.

And please, don't forget to write back to us old Wii U folk still scrounging for that release date!:chuckle:

Metarai

Smash Apprentice
Its almost over.
This is my first time seeing a smash game released, its nothing that I had ever experienced before.
Maybe I'll get it again for the Wii U version.
Anyways, I enjoyed it.:substitute:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
IT'S MIDNIGHT!!!!! IT'S MIDNIGHT IT'S MIDNIGHT IT'S MIDNIGHT!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S GOD FORSAKE MIDDDD! NIGHT!!!!! AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
That moment it becomes available in the eShop, and it says your SD card isn't big enough :c

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
IT'S MIDNIGHT!!!!! IT'S MIDNIGHT IT'S MIDNIGHT IT'S MIDNIGHT!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S GOD FORSAKE MIDDDD! NIGHT!!!!! AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!
LUCKY. I gotta wait three more hours... Sometimes it sucks to live in the USA in the North West...

Top Bottom