• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Stick Kickstarter is Live!

the-smash-stick-kickstarter-is-live.png

Over the last few years, the Smash community has seen the rise and fall of both the SmashBox and Boxx controllers, but recently a new type of controller has entered the fray - the Smash Stick.

The Smash Stick is an arcade stick designed for both platform fighters and traditional fighting games. The arcade stick is designed to solve the issue of its predecessors through the inclusion of an analog joystick and ergonomic button layout. It also has a wide variety of features that cater to different smash games.

What makes the analog joystick unique?
  • The smash stick features a 100% analog joystick. It can perform all the angles and values that a traditional Gamecube controller can.
  • Its octagon gate gives players easy access to commonly used angles, working similarly to notches. In fact, the bottom-corner “notches” of the joystick are aligned to perform shield drops straight out of the box.
  • The Smash Stick uses non-contacting analog sensor for inputs. This will prevent performance degradation over time.

A closer look at the Smash Stick’s buttons
  • The button layout on the Smash Stick is a “home-row” layout, meaning that players won’t have to move their hands to reach all the buttons on the controller, minimizing the stress put on their hands.
  • The Smash Stick uses modified Sanwa Denshi buttons that absorb impact, speed up your inputs, and are almost silent while playing.
  • Each button on the Smash Stick is raised. This reduces finger movement considerably compared to Gamecube controllers and lower quality arcade sticks.

The Smash Stick comes complete with 3 detachable cables for Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and PC, and features two separate button layout settings - one for platform fighters, and another for traditional fighting games.

Their Kickstarter has pledge options ranging from $225 to $475, and features rewards like early access to the controller. You can visit their Kickstarter today to learn more and pledge!

Author’s Note: I’m genuinely a pretty big fan of this type of controller, largely because I played a lot of Street Fighter on arcade sticks before coming to the Smash community. What's your opinion on the Smash Stick? Is it better, worse, or about the same as the other Gamecube controller alternatives?

Michael "SuperCres" Ashby

Comments

Says the suicidal muffin. Also, don't forget that most Smashers (including myself) don't play competitively.
You asked the question. I gave you an informed answer. The pricing is fine. If you guys don't like it that is fine too, but quality sticks are not easy nor cheap to make.

Last edited:
I don't think I'll be making the switch. Honestly, I doubt I'll even get around to purchasing a switch and smash ultimate within the next year even so I'm definitely not someone who is looking to spend an extra 200 bucks on a specialized controller. Times are tough right now so I'll just stick to watching all the videos I can and hopefully I'll find someone in the OSU area that would be willing to let me in on their system. lol

With all that said. I welcome anything like this because I know how much the hardcore fighting game players like these things. I imagine if anything is going to really appeal to them about the game, something like this would.
OSU better not stand for Ohio State...

I think 200 dollars is a fair price. Unless it gets banned then its useless. you have to understand that arcade sticks aren't cheap and this one has cords for outdated consoles so the price is gonna be a little higher. Color me impressed for them even including cords for gamecube and n64

I can buy an Xbox One for less than that stick.
Yes, I can buy a current-gen console for less than a freaking controller.
You can buy an outdated version of a current gen console for that price. My original statement still stands. You have to keep in mind that this is a project being made by two people. On top of that they have to create custom parts to make this stick. Before this there was no stick with Analog input which is why this stick is a big deal. Microsoft has much easier access to what they need and are able to mass produce parts. That isn't the case with the Smash Stick. Not yet.

Last edited:
This looks awesome and I am extremely interested in backing this. I have a few questions.

Is this a tournament legal controller?

Last edited:
Top Bottom