• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Smash Brothers" Documentary To Be Featured At MAGfest 13

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
National Harbor, MD- The Super Smash Brothers community could once again be in for another competitive boost. MAGfest, (standing for music and games festival), held this year on January 23rd-26th, is one of the largest gaming conventions in the country and has decided to feature "The Smash Brothers" as one of it's feature films in the "Games on Film" section.
MAGfest does not consider itself a convention but more a large party, as stated on their website: "MAGFest is a four day long party dedicated to the appreciation of video game music, gaming of all types, and the gaming community." Events to do at MAGfest feature free play arcades, console gaming, LAN parties, Video Game Concerts, Panels with gaming celebrities and developers, Indie Games, Gaming-centric Marketplace and of course their "Games on Film" Room.

MAGfest is on its thirteenth iteration and has evolved greatly over the years.

Annually, the attendance of MAGfest has grown exponentially, with MAGfest 12 being double the size of MAGfest 10 which was 2 year prior in the same venue. With the change in date timing (traditionally, MAGfest is held on the first week of January), it is hard to say if the rate it will grow will be the same, but it seems likely given the trends. Being a host to casual and competitive gamers alike, MAGfest has the ability to provide new exposure to the community to those unaware. Those planning on being in attendance that would like to view the films, they can be seen on Sunday between 11am and 3pm in the film section. Additionally, MAGfest is featuring quite the list of Smash related activities, including a Smash Opera, Super Smash Bros for Wii U Cosplay tournament, Super Smash Bros 64 tournament, a Super Smash Bros for Wii U tournament, and something called "Smash Impossible", which may be an event throwback to the previous year, where a Brawl tournament was held that had ridiculous random conditions to win. That event was won by Team Apex's Nintendude.

To see the schedule of events for MAGfest this year, click here: https://prime.uber.magfest.org/m13/schedule/

TheTantalus is very excited to be attending MAGfest for a TENTH consecutive year! If you plan on attending yourself, share your excitement with him by tweeting him @ TheTantalus TheTantalus .

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Let's see Sakurai try and deny the ever growing competitive scene now!
But....

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
The Smash Documentary was a masterpiece of gaming insight, and a look in to an often misunderstood community. I'm glad it's being featured at MAGfest

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
The documentary that me more about the scene's origins and history. I'm glad this is happening.
But....
Not this again.

Last edited:

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
But....
You do realize he's talking about if he just makes the game more competitive and less for those wanting to play, right? I mean, I don't agree with that as Smash should be the, "Easy to play, hard to master," type of games, but Sakurai has a fear/apathy for competitive fighting games. Just get over it.

Anyway, the documentary at MAGFest could be a great thing for people who want to learn more about the Smash Community.

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
This is good exposure for the documentary. The more people that watch it, the more popular Smash can become in the competitive scene... although, I wonder how many people that go to mag fest don't play Smash at all... probably not many.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
This is good exposure for the documentary. The more people that watch it, the more popular Smash can become in the competitive scene... although, I wonder how many people that go to mag fest don't play Smash at all... probably not many.
Most people have probably played Smash, but don't know about the competitive side in much depth. When most gamers think of competitive gaming they probably think of Star Craft, Counter Strike and Street Fighter, even if Melee is one of the most popular competitive games of all time.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Didn't you had a wedding to do or did it already happened, TheTantalus TheTantalus ?
But....
Usually, I'd tell you to let it go, but...someone already did!

Anyhoo, the translator simply had a poor choice of words and Sakurai was talking from a developing side of view.

Last edited:

Enchlore

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enchlore
The Protomen and Smash events? Wish I could be at this MAGfest.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Won't there be kids there. The smesh documentary has all kinds of inappropriate language :|

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Warning Received
The documentary taht me more about the scene's origins and history. I'm glad this is happening.

Not this again.

Don't start this **** again?
That was a mistranslation you dingus.
Didn't you had a wedding to do or did it already happened, TheTantalus TheTantalus ?

Usually, I'd tell you to let it go, but...someone already did!

Anyhoo, the translator simply had a poor choice of words and Sakurai was talking from a developing side of view.
The title of that changed, right?
You do realize he's talking about if he just makes the game more competitive and less for those wanting to play, right? I mean, I don't agree with that as Smash should be the, "Easy to play, hard to master," type of games, but Sakurai has a fear/apathy for competitive fighting games. Just get over it.

Anyway, the documentary at MAGFest could be a great thinsg for people who want to learn more about the Smash Community.
I knew all of that before hand. Anyway, I was prying at the fact he wants to strip things like DACUS away when people find ATs. Sure officially does want the competitive scene to thrive, but through his actions, he does want to stifle the scene. Heck, look at for glory, filled with FDs ( a stage notorious for it's clear advantage for rushdowns and campers, now lets look at who's considered top tier: rushdowns and camper in Rosaluma). I brought that pic up because I was origanally going to have this pic:

or

but I've used them before.

NiderQueen

Smash Cadet
NNID
YakiStrider2409
3DS FC
2681-0178-5926
National Harbor, MD- The Super Smash Brothers community could once again be in for another competitive boost. MAGfest, (standing for music and games festival), held this year on January 23rd-26th, is one of the largest gaming conventions in the country and has decided to feature "The Smash Brothers" as one of it's feature films in the "Games on Film" section.
MAGfest does not consider itself a convention but more a large party, as stated on their website: "MAGFest is a four day long party dedicated to the appreciation of video game music, gaming of all types, and the gaming community." Events to do at MAGfest feature free play arcades, console gaming, LAN parties, Video Game Concerts, Panels with gaming celebrities and developers, Indie Games, Gaming-centric Marketplace and of course their "Games on Film" Room.

MAGfest is on its thirteenth iteration and has evolved greatly over the years.

Annually, the attendance of MAGfest has grown exponentially, with MAGfest 12 being double the size of MAGfest 10 which was 2 year prior in the same venue. With the change in date timing (traditionally, MAGfest is held on the first week of January), it is hard to say if the rate it will grow will be the same, but it seems likely given the trends. Being a host to casual and competitive gamers alike, MAGfest has the ability to provide new exposure to the community to those unaware. Those planning on being in attendance that would like to view the films, they can be seen on Sunday between 11am and 3pm in the film section. Additionally, MAGfest is featuring quite the list of Smash related activities, including a Smash Opera, Super Smash Bros for Wii U Cosplay tournament, Super Smash Bros 64 tournament, a Super Smash Bros for Wii U tournament, and something called "Smash Impossible", which may be an event throwback to the previous year, where a Brawl tournament was held that had ridiculous random conditions to win. That event was won by Team Apex's Nintendude.

To see the schedule of events for MAGfest this year, click here: https://prime.uber.magfest.org/m13/schedule/

TheTantalus is very excited to be attending MAGfest for a TENTH consecutive year! If you plan on attending yourself, share your excitement with him by tweeting him @ TheTantalus TheTantalus .
what even is smash opera lol =o=?

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Don't you love it when people make a post that is purposefully bad just so they can get that post count up on SB? I sure don't!

This is great news btw, I absolutely love this documentary and think it needs ALL the recognition it can get!

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
But....
That was a mistranslation he said if he made smash only for the competitive community it would have no future not that competitive smash has no future

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
I knew all of that before hand. Anyway, I was prying at the fact he wants to strip things like DACUS away when people find ATs. Sure officially does want the competitive scene to thrive, but through his actions, he does want to stifle the scene. Heck, look at for glory, filled with FDs ( a stage notorious for it's clear advantage for rushdowns and campers, now lets look at who's considered top tier: rushdowns and camper in Rosaluma). I brought that pic up because I was origanally going to have this pic:

or

but I've used them before.
DACUS needed to be taken away as it was just an exploit for a very few characters though it would be nice to see it back for all characters also things like wectoring and those recovery frame cancels with bombs, turnips, and shadow sneak needed to be removed.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Stop. This has nothing to do with the article, and you're just starting a flame war for nothing. Thanks.
I'm not purposely trying to start a flame war or anything. I just want the scene to grow regardless of the developer's wishes. You gave me trolling warning, but I wasn't even close to trolling. If that was the case, then when I've used them pics, I should have been issued a warning beforehand.

That was a mistranslation he said if he made smash only for the competitive community it would have no future not that competitive smash has no future
DACUS needed to be taken away as it was just an exploit for a very few characters though it would be nice to see it back for all characters also things like wectoring and those recovery frame cancels with bombs, turnips, and shadow sneak needed to be removed.
Well then, wall jumps, and crawling should be taken away because not everyone has those techniques........Now I'm seeing what The Derrit is talking about. If anyone wants this argument to continue, take it to PMs instead.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
I'm not purposely trying to start a flame war or anything. I just want the scene to grow regardless of the developer's wishes. You gave me trolling warning, but I wasn't even close to trolling. If that was the case, then when I've used them pics, I should have been issued a warning beforehand.

Well then, wall jumps, and crawling should be taken away because not everyone has those techniques........Now I'm seeing what The Derrit is talking about. If anyone wants this argument to continue, take it to PMs instead.
Those are not exploits though I would like every character to atleast have one wall jump and to be able to crawl though that might be a little annoying with the little characters. Not sure what you mean by PM's do you mean private messaging or something about Project M?

Last edited:

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
I'm not to far away from Maryland so I might check this out and enter that Wii U tournament and it is nice to see The Smash Brothers Documentary being given more exposure it is a pretty good watch though it could use some more editing it drags on a bit on parts.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Those are not exploits though I would like every character to atleast have one wall jump and to be able to crawl though that might be a little annoying with the little characters. Not sure what you mean by PM's do you mean private messaging or something about Project M?
Private messaging. When someone says "take this to PMs" PMs= Private Messaging.

GazWithPie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gazwithpie
We need to start a kickstarter or somthing to get the smash brothers documentry on netfilx!

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
what even is smash opera lol =o=?
It starts off as an normal opera, then everyone beats the **** out of each other with their instruments. You're thinking to hard about this.

I might be attending again this year. I went last year because I wanted to go to PAX East last year and I'm all sure we know how well THAT went trying to get tickets for that one. I had a really great time, but I better attend some panels this year because I didn't go to a single one. Too busy playing Melee in the game room.

Better find someone to also teach me DnD and the Pokemon card game. I wanted to learn, but I was scared of being a noob about it. -_-

Glad the Smash Doc is being showed there. Not the biggest fan of it, but the more people getting into competitive Smash the better. Hopefully they won't be scared off though by the way the community can blow up online.......

Undefeatedable

Smash Rookie
NNID
Undefeatedable
I know I should be like, "Holy hell yo! Smash documentary's gonna be shown and shet!" But... I checked the event timetable, and all I can be excited for is the Steven Universe panel Q.Q

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
MAGFest is probably the highlight of my year every year without fail. Can't wait

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

If you actually read the actual translated version.

He said it was just for smash as just a competitive game would fail. It needs that casual aspect to work, which is entirely correct.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
If you actually read the actual translated version.

He said it was just for smash as just a competitive game would fail. It needs that casual aspect to work, which is entirely correct.
If you read my later posts, I addressed that. Not trying to be rude, but js.

Top Bottom