• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3C Project - PM alts, recolors, and more!

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
Final Update... Left is Falco with palette swaps, Right is Falco with palette swaps and fur changes.
Blue

Dark Blue

Green

Light Blue

Black
Orange

Pink

Purple

Red

Melee:
Red

Green

Blue

Samurai Dedede
Samurai
Samurai (Green)
Samurai (Blue)
Sorry to intrude, but the shading on them is a bit pillowy (it has the lightest color smack-dab in the middle), and there isn't enough contrast.

You want to shade things as if the light source is above and slightly to the side of the icon. A good example on a larger scale can be found here. Just remember that the darkest color should stand out from your lightest without being too bright,and the darker color shouldn't be spread around the outline, but concentrated in a lower corner. I'd also suggest avoiding what's called "shading with black" or just using a darker value of the same hue. For yellows, use orange for the shadows. For reds, use more orangey shades for lighter values and purplish ones for darker values.
This is how I touched up the default Falco icon.

Notice how I have less of the darker shade towards the upper right and more towards the lower left. The beak was, aside from poor contrast, fine enough as-is. I also darkened the bit of feathers below the scouter.
And my attempt at fixing up the colors on the beak:

The contrast is a bit better, but not quite there yet, in my opinion.
I'll give the other costumes the same treatment soon. Same goes for Melee Falco and Dedede.

NFMLH2

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to intrude, but the shading on them is a bit pillowy (it has the lightest color smack-dab in the middle), and there isn't enough contrast.

You want to shade things as if the light source is above and slightly to the side of the icon. A good example on a larger scale can be found here. Just remember that the darkest color should stand out from your lightest without being too bright,and the darker color shouldn't be spread around the outline, but concentrated in a lower corner. I'd also suggest avoiding what's called "shading with black" or just using a darker value of the same hue. For yellows, use orange for the shadows. For reds, use more orangey shades for lighter values and purplish ones for darker values.
This is how I touched up the default Falco icon.

Notice how I have less of the darker shade towards the upper right and more towards the lower left. The beak was, aside from poor contrast, fine enough as-is. I also darkened the bit of feathers below the scouter.
And my attempt at fixing up the colors on the beak:

The contrast is a bit better, but not quite there yet, in my opinion.
I'll give the other costumes the same treatment soon. Same goes for Melee Falco and Dedede.
Thanks for the comment. I'm not that good at pillow shading. I shall look into this. Any more tips?

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
Thanks for the comment. I'm not that good at pillow shading. I shall look into this. Any more tips?
No, what you're doing now (Shading by just putting darker shades around the outline) is pillow shading. It's what you want to avoid.
This and this give a good primer on the core principles of shading. The latter is for a specific spriting style (but one that I think might suit the Smash 3c project well), so keep that in mind.

Juken

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Nice, I hope you consider doing some Hyrule Warriors stuff.

Question though, how does it work when it's almost half of Zelda's size? Does it use the same hitboxes as regular Zelda? Also, not too important, but the Hilda alt is lacking the upside down triforce like the Hilda costume for Zelda in your picture.
It's roughly the size of Zelda height-wise actually. I didn't put the upside-triforce because I'm lazy. No changes to hitboxes, or animations. Most of the time you'll see her arm go through her head

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Hey, you all! For any of those that do care, I edited the Smash 3C Retro Pit Recolors. The colors were a bit over-saturated so I toned them down a bit. It's especially noticeable on the pink. In addition, I changed the standanrd Red wings to be better looking, so redownload if you want. :) Here are some previews!

al_150916_2311.bin.out.jpg al_150916_2315.bin.out.jpg

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=209629
enjoy!

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Now that Toon Zelda's finished, I'll try to do Toon Sheik and/or Tetra
Do Toon Sheik. There are currently no released Tetra's released over Sheik. Pik was working on one, but he's on the PMDT now. If it is ever released, I'll be jumping on it faster than the running man with Pegasus boots

Kurodyne

where did i put my keys
NNID
KuroSensation
i dunno if i said this before (there being two topics where the same thing is being discussed is confus) but the shades are also somewhat close to each other in some of them

red does the colors fine, so does black, but in the lavender-colored one the feathers are way too closely shaded and they look like it's just a flat color.

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
Is it just me or is the Smashboards layout different?
1. Why the hell post that here?

2. Did you even look at the home page?

EDIT: There is absolutely no need to post something like that here. This is a thread about Smash 3C. This is not a general chat thread. If you wanna chit chat with people, keep in in private conversations.

I'm tired of getting notifications of this thread, and coming here to only see meaningless chatter and no work.

Last edited:

Kurodyne

where did i put my keys
NNID
KuroSensation
1. Why the hell post that here?

2. Did you even look at the home page?

EDIT: There is absolutely no need to post something like that here. This is a thread about Smash 3C. This is not a general chat thread. If you wanna chit chat with people, keep in in private conversations.

I'm tired of getting notifications of this thread, and coming here to only see meaningless chatter and no work.
damn dude, relax. you could have said something like "It changed, they said so on the home page. This isn't the place for that discussion." but instead it was all "what the hell are you doing did you even look stop talking get back to work"

i know this is smashboards where literally everybody is serious but we're dealing with a forum based around a children's video game, not missles here, governor.

anyways, in regards to that Mario model, something is weird about the 3C 64 Mario. it feels like it's trying to do too many things at once. "Brawl-esque 64-styled 3-colored Mario." also the eyes are pretty creepy.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
danyways, in regards to that Mario model, something is weird about the 3C 64 Mario. it feels like it's trying to do too many things at once. "Brawl-esque 64-styled 3-colored Mario." also the eyes are pretty creepy.
I like the concept a lot, but I think a little more needs done with it (though the eyes are fine IMO). For example, the overall's buttons could be bigger, and the nose could be more spherical. For comparision:

EDIT: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CRUDELY RIG THIS

Last edited:

zaiman12345

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theawesome4567

First off, go check out the Smash 3 Project, if you haven't already! It's an amazing visual overhaul for Brawl!

This project is a continuation of the Smash 3 style, as the Smash 3 team will not be working on the Project M alts themselves, nor will they be re-texturing the many mods found on Brawl Vault. The C in Smash 3C does not have one meaning, but stands for ideas of community, cooperation, continuation, coprophagia - the possibilities are limitless! With that said, it should be apparent then that this is a community project - there is no such thing as a set Smash 3C team - everyone who posts here is part of this project, so please contribute and post all of your Smash 3C hacks for everyone to enjoy! Anything is welcomed to be posted, and if it fits the current Smash 3 standards and style, it may be added to the OP. Don't know how to texture? Check out @Edel's rimlighting tutorial, and @Taiko's texturing tutorial to learn how!

An important note about requests: Please refrain from making any requests in this thread for a character you want to see retextured. We do not need a thread where every other post is a request, which has occurred in the past. Instead, why not try it out yourself? The main focus for many members right now is to finish the Project M alts, and they are working at their own individual paces to do so.

If you're interested in even higher quality textures, check out @ Layell Layell 's Dolphin-exclusive Smash 3 HD Remix project, which uses full-sized, uncompressed textures on the characters (up to 2048x2048 for some characters).

- Downloads -
Updated 9/17/2015 - Toon Zelda added.

CHARACTERS OUTSIDE THE SMASH UNIVERSE OR WITHOUT A PROJECT M MOVESET
how do i download
if i can download then is there a 3.6 version

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
The model's meant to represent Mario's Smash 64 sketch, which has a somewhat different look than N64 Mario's renders do.
Oh, I see. Personally I don't think it's something that will translate over well to 3D space, so if you wanted to redeem the model, I'd prefer it'd be more like SM64. That's up to Sylveon, though.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Does anyone know how I can get my Mario-Make Mario in the exact same render pose as Smash 3 Mario? I have an alt pose ready, if you want that instead of Matching CSPs.

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Yeah guys, when sometimes I think a few people here have more posts in this thread than I do, and have contributed 0 actual textures/models/renders/etc there might be a problem.

But I hope this makes Nano happy!!! Or perhaps very sad...

That's because Beta Knight is dropping in soon™, and with visible boot straps! Forget those wrist straps on your wiimote, Beta Knight V2 will have the real deal!

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Yeah guys, when sometimes I think a few people here have more posts in this thread than I do, and have contributed 0 actual textures/models/renders/etc there might be a problem.
There is so much sass on this thread. Sass 3C.

Beta Metaknight looks gorgeous though and the boot strap detail is small yet adds a lot to the costume. Good Work!

Last edited:
Top Bottom