• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
Another ra- wait... this isn't a random render. This looks like a near complete render!:

This is an example of one of the Marth recolors we were going to use. I based it off Neku from The World Ends With You and meant it to replace the Project M purple. The real one has been modified to fit Marth's color scheme better. Personally I like how the new purple looks; what does it look like? You'll just have to wait for the update!

Last edited:

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Other M version looks a lot better. Dem HD textures. Looks like something out of SSB4 for WiiU. 10/10. Brawl version looks more fitting for Wii, but overall could have been better i guess. 7.5/10.
I believe that's because unlike me, where I just edited and remade the Brawl textures as they were by myself (like we do with the majority of characters), Taiko and GBC were able to take the already clean textures directly from the Other M model, upscale them to a larger size to put more intricate detail into it like the spec maps, perforated metal and highlights, and then reduce the size back to normal while maintaining the quality from when it was larger. Brawl Samus was also intended to just be a side project by me since day 1, Other M Samus was the primary focus from the beginning, but there was no work on it at that time yet, similar to how we used Smash 4 Marth as our focus instead of Brawl Marth.

But yeah with all being said, even I find myself liking our Other M model more and more because of how damn sleek it looks, and this is coming from somebody that hates Other M with a burning passion. Oh well, hopefully my plethora of recolors will make up for the long time I spent on and off working on it haha.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
Other M version looks a lot better. Dem HD textures. Looks like something out of SSB4 for WiiU. 10/10. Brawl version looks more fitting for Wii, but overall could have been better i guess. 7.5/10. Also, i think it would be better to color Other M Gravity Suit to be like this:

Looks nicer and is accurate to the source (excluding the colors of course) compared to if only lights and orange parts would be recolored. Colors here most likely are too dark, but thats not exactly what im talking about.

Needs purple aura around character itself.
With the arm glows and all that? That'd be...a lot of work to get done.

omg taiko your new avatar .-.
@ MagicManNo9 MagicManNo9 made it, and...it was glorious. Glorious enough to replace Dark Pit.

Will the Other M version be Wi-Fi safe?
Of course. Everything we make is (or should be).

You believed it was Smash 3 Retro Pit, but it is actually Dio.
You'll fit in just fine here!

I can't wait for this next update. My build doesn't feel right without Smash 3 textures.
With school done, overdrive mode has begun! Again.

Another ra- wait... this isn't a random render. This looks like a near complete render!:

This is an example of one of the Marth recolors we were going to use. I based it off Neku from The World Ends With You and meant it to replace the Project M purple. The real one has been modified to fit Marth color scheme better. Personally I like the new one; what does it look like? You'll just have to wait for the update!
Leaks?! This is an unedited, raw render, so you guys can see just how much changes in the editing process when we release him!

I believe that's because unlike me, where I just edited and remade the Brawl textures as they were by myself (like we do with the majority of characters), Taiko and GBC were able to take the already clean textures directly from the Other M model, upscale them to a larger size to put more intricate detail into it like the spec maps, perforated metal and highlights, and then reduce the size back to normal while maintaining the quality from when it was larger. Brawl Samus was also intended to just be a side project by me since day 1, Other M Samus was the primary focus from the beginning, but there was no work on it at that time yet, similar to how we used Smash 4 Marth as our focus instead of Brawl Marth.

But yeah with all being said, even I find myself liking our Other M model more and more because of how damn sleek it looks, and this is coming from somebody that hates Other M with a burning passion. Oh well, hopefully my plethora of recolors will make up for the long time I spent on and off working on it haha.
Almost, most (if not all) of the characters are actually redone entirely from scratch, not edited from Brawl. (I actually started Smash 3 Mario because I had no idea where to start to edit it...so I made a new texture from scratch. Yeah, I don't know how I thought that'd be easier either. But here we are.)

Other M Samus' textures were entirely redone for Smash 3, and at a higher resolution than the Other M ones as well. Simply upscaling, then downscaling would just cause a loss of quality, which doesn't help when the textures are already compressed for the game. Of course, Brawl can't handle anything above 1024x1024, so the high quality textures will only be seen...on the render.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
With the arm glows and all that? That'd be...a lot of work to get done.
Not that much actually. Just recolor those black parts on shoulderpads, hips, etc. to be blue or, to make them glow, make new polygons that would cover them and make them glow. Filesize is the only issue there, but you can fix that easily.

Last edited:

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Wow. That render is so ba-nope. can't even joke about it. That is render is absolutely amazing. I cannot wait to see its final product. Super hype for Project Smash 3.5.

Last edited:

Crixler

Smash Journeyman

This is an example of one of the Marth recolors we were going to use. I based it off Neku from The World Ends With You and meant it to replace the Project M purple. The real one has been modified to fit Marth color scheme better. Personally I like the new one; what does it look like? You'll just have to wait for the update!
I love it. Why must you make such an awesome render?
Now I'm going to be filled with disappointment and regret when I remake my Lord Marth texture using this as a base, as I'll have to make my own vastly inferior CSP...
That's probably the coolest Marth pose I've seen.

Question: Will we be getting updated PSDs with the big update, or will those be coming at a later time?

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
Better call a doctor.
You all thought this meant nothing? Wrong! Doctor Mario Smashes in! ...to Smash 3!
I tried.

But wait...! That Mario looks a bit different too!

Is this the fabled Mario update? Yes it is. You might be wondering, "but Taiko! He doesn't look too different!" So here's a small comparison between old and New Mario:

Not quite as drastic as Marth, but it's the small things that all add up. I hope you're all looking forward to the update!

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Oh, yes, a question about the upcoming Dr. Mario stuff!

Since you've been doing additional colors for characters based on their new confirmed colors in Smash 4, is Dr. Mario going to have that slick real as hell purple suit? I imagine his other colors are going to be matched accordingly (including his gloves, please lord I do not like the P:M Dr. Mario glove colors haha)

Other than that....it's so beautiful ;_;. You even captured the small details of his Smash 4 appearance, I see those rolled up pants at the bottom there! I will embrace the Doctor immediately upon release. Hold me to it.

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
You all thought this meant nothing? Wrong! Doctor Mario Smashes in! ...to Smash 3!
I tried.

Is this the fabled Mario update? Yes it is. You might be wondering, "but Taiko! He doesn't look too different!" So here's a small comparison between old and New Mario:

Not quite as drastic as Marth, but it's the small things that all add up. I hope you're all looking forward to the update!
*Doctor Mario is in the house!

These textures are wonderful. I'm gonna have to update my Smash 3 pack for sure.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Oh, yes, a question about the upcoming Dr. Mario stuff!

Since you've been doing additional colors for characters based on their new confirmed colors in Smash 4, is Dr. Mario going to have that slick real as hell purple suit? I imagine his other colors are going to be matched accordingly (including his gloves, please lord I do not like the P:M Dr. Mario glove colors haha)

Other than that....it's so beautiful ;_;. You even captured the small details of his Smash 4 appearance, I see those rolled up pants at the bottom there! I will embrace the Doctor immediately upon release. Hold me to it.
Yes we will. We'll use the WiiU color pallet just like we did for WiiU Bowser and WiiU everyone else.

kazan

Smash Apprentice
I tried.

omg ive been waiting for months just to see marios update! keep up the good work smash3 team! ;D

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
I tried.

And it's those small things that I love about these redesigns; now my favorite main and favorite alt. costume got the treatment they deserve. Not even a nerfed wall-jump cancel can kill my hype for this Mario update, because Mario is love, Mario is life :D

Taiko

Smash Ace

For those wondering which costumes we'll be doing. Yup, all of them! Even those two cBliss ones from way back. I wonder if anyone remembers those?

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
And this is only the tip of it. Soon we'll get the full dosage of this update.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Yes we will. We'll use the WiiU color pallet just like we did for WiiU Bowser and WiiU everyone else.
So does that mean if someone made Doc a separate Character Slot, He can have more than 4 costumes?

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Yes. He'll have all of the colors.
Goes and secretly prepares a custom PM build...

Looks like this update is going to... clean house.
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

YYYEEEAAHHH....

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
Since a lot of people seem to have completely missed it, remember this image?

I didn't post it to tease stocks. Where do stocks go, again?

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice

We results screen now?
EDIT: Maybe the menues?

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Just know that I am definitely rocking that beautiful purple Doc color Smash 4 introduced. God it's so beautiful.

Also Taiko I bet even if you didn't have to, you would've eventually made Dr. Mario...

Everybody loves him, after all :3....fufufufu

Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike

For those wondering which costumes we'll be doing. Yup, all of them! Even those two cBliss ones from way back. I wonder if anyone remembers those?
Darn it! If only there was some to make an additional Mario slot on the character roster so I don't have to split up the recolors between five for each costume! I want all of them, especially America Mario!

Last edited:

McMilla1228

Smash Cadet

Doc and 'Merico? Decisions, decisions... Is there any chance of a Dr. Merico skin?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Darn it! If only there was some to make an additional Mario slot on the character roster so I don't have to split up the recolors between five for each costume! I want all of them, especially America Mario!
Welll... dun know if ya hurd... Buuuut M22K is suppoooooooosed to be working on a version of his cBliss tool that allows for up to... wait for it.... wait for iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

FOURTEEN COSTUMES PER CHARACTER!!!

^ Yes... that is correct. So... your ultimate Mario dreams will be made reality once he releases this updated thing... which I hope is soon... Reeeeeeeaaal soon. I have a build in the works that would be perfect with 12 costumes per...

and all of them having alt team colors...

Shiro_Neku

Smash Cadet

System/common5.pac in MiscData[90], stage/melee/STGResult.pac in MiscData[120] and menu/common/StockFaceTex.brres although I don't know where the last one is used the others are in single player modes and when a battle end

Taiko

Smash Ace
Having a Brawl modder part of the Smash 3 Team not know what they're doing is a hard pill to swallow. :4drmario:
Oh boy, you don't want to see our dev chat then. It's mostly composed of "okay, I tried this, and everything exploded" and sometimes "it worked perfectly guys!"

That and Dio faces.

Last edited:
Top Bottom