• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
His old model had less detailed textures, which made him a bit more awkward to look at.

There's like an old post in this thread that should help explain it.

Granfalloon

Smash Cadet
Really glad you guys went and touched up Ganon, he was the most glaring among your retextures. I remember Fox being a bit too saturated as well but besides that I'm pretty happy with everything.

If I had a suggestion to contribute it would be to use SJS' Zero Suit Samus. It's so much better than Brawl's default model and it's texture work could be even more brilliant with the Smash3 team working on it.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Looking at the files, his face, hand, and eyewhite textures aren't CMPR. Might be able to fix it just by changing those. Looks like his cape can be optimized a little bit, too, in BrawlBox 0.71. Not much, but every bit should help.

Edit: Nope - it reduced it quite a bit, but not enough.

Last edited:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Looking at the files, his face, hand, and eyewhite textures aren't CMPR. Might be able to fix it just by changing those. Looks like his cape can be optimized a little bit, too, in BrawlBox 0.71. Not much, but every bit should help.

Edit: Nope - it reduced it quite a bit, but not enough.
You have to cut his texture sizes in half to get him working properly with Sword Ganon

Taiko

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I have a sudden announcement to make.

As you all know, Smash 4 is coming. You all probably know we're fuelled by our motivations, so I hope you can understand that at this point with the game just 4 days away, our motivation is dwindling right now. I've had the opportunity to play the demo, and I can say that this game is just too good. So good, in fact, that I can't see myself returning to older Smash titles. The same is true for the rest of the team, we just can't see ourselves having the motivation to finish the alt costumes now that the game is so close.

In addition, our team is not as large as you guys might imagine. At this point in time, we only have 2-3 active texturers, and two active modellers. Shun was already planning to leave Brawl modding when October 3rd hit, making us feel like we had a deadline to hit already. As you might imagine, retexturing Brawl is already a huge task in itself, so doing the alt costumes would just take too much time on top of the remaining cast we have to finish.

Here's where you guys' opinions are important to us, as we have two options:
1) Replace the alt costumes with recolours which are MUCH less time-consuming to do, and you guys would get a "completed" build much faster.
2) Don't do the alt costumes or replace them at all, leaving the cool stuff the PMBR does, but an overall inconsistent build.

Again, I hope you all understand. Thanks for sticking with us all this time, it's been great seeing all the feedback we've gotten from our users. But in the end, we just want to play games too.

Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
1) Replace the alt costumes with recolours which are MUCH less time-consuming to do, and you guys would get a "completed" build much faster.
2) Don't do the alt costumes or replace them at all, leaving the cool stuff the PMBR does, but an overall inconsistent build.
While the chance to see you guys redesign Dr. Mario, OoT Link and SNES Falcon would have been so awesome, at least Option 1 will allow the all the characters to remain consistent, so I vote for that one. If I really have a problem with the PM alts needing to mesh with the rest of the roster later on when 3.5 is released, then I can just play the vanilla Wi-Fi build (that is, unless Smash 4 really is that good that I'd even feel compelled to drop Project M entirely).

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
You guys may have said so a few times in this thread, but how about a tutorial on how to apply the Smash 3 style edge maps and materials? Even if there's few people who will willingly finish up all the alts and release them publicly, there are some who will happily finish off their custom builds (myself being interested in doing this) for the sake of consistency.

Taiko

Smash Ace
You guys may have said so a few times in this thread, but how about a tutorial on how to apply the Smash 3 style edge maps and materials? Even if there's few people who will willingly finish up all the alts and release them publicly, there are some who will happily finish off their custom builds (myself being interested in doing this) for the sake of consistency.
This tutorial by Mewtwo2000 will get it working, you just need to use the Edge texture from our releases instead of his. Though I'd recommend using his first to check if it's actually working.
If you guys can do Project M alts, we may just take the well done ones from you guys and add them to the pack. So, if you've done an alt, let us know via personal message!

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I say you should finish what you started much quicker, so I vote you guys fill the rest of the slots with recolors.

As for the alt costumes, maybe you guys can all release some kind of tutorial for other Brawl modders to mimic the Smash 3 style. A few of us still kinda wanna see those PM alt costumes, but since you might not do them then it's best to spread the knowledge around for others to do them if they're so inclined.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Option 1 definitely as consistency was the main issue when you switched project goals. And awwww there is going to probably be a considerable drop in brawl modding. But hopefully that just goes towards smash 4 modding.

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
Really? Smash 3DS is too good? Oh god i wish to live in japan now, or even have a Japanese 3DS.
Well i choose the first option i just want to see all characters Smash 3 styled.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Perhaps I'll make a tutorial on how to make rimlight models like I do for smash 3.

I also plan to call it quits when the team finishes their goals... but not before I shared everything I learned involving modding first.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Go for the recolors dudes, at least then we'll have some idea of how to texture some of the alts ourselves. I've really enjoyed following this project you guys.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
As of now, here's our gameplan with your guys' comments taken into consideration:

Characters who are not released as of yet will get priority over simple updates. This does not include Sonic, Bowser, or Ike, their updates will proceed normally. Any characters after that will get their updates released when they're finished, if we feel like finishing them. At the moment these include characters like Marth, Fox, and Falco. They are slight though, so don't expect drastic changes.

For Project M users, you guys will get extra recolours instead of costumes for more consistency. The extra costumes won't be team-friendly, however (some of Project M's costumes have team colouring). This can be fixed with cBliss, but we don't want to mess with the P:M codeset to avoid any issues. In Ike's case, he will get his current costume as his alternate, while his new model takes his main set. We will release an additional DLC pack for those who want the extra recolours as well. We were planning on adding Awakening Marth as Marth's costume, but after looking around, it seems Shun has lost the PSDs, so Awakning Marth will most likely not happen.

Seeing as there are people willing to try texturing the P:M alts themselves though, we'll upload our assets (where permission permits, some people might not want their stuff shared). Keep in mind that these will be released as-is, so some files may be messier and harder to navigate than others. I'll also create a tutorial for texturing in the Smash 3 style using the same techniques we've been using.

Thanks for understanding guys, this is why we love you all.

Last edited:

blerb

Smash Journeyman
It's bitter sweet to see you guys moving on. I suppose it was inevitable, though, as with the rest of the community.

I hope you guys eventually decide to come back. The Brawl modding scene will be terribly empty without you :(

I look forward to your tutorial, though. Perhaps I will fill in some of the gaps left over when you depart.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
As of now, here's our gameplan with your guys' comments taken into consideration:
Characters who are not released as of yet will get priority over simple updates. This does not include Sonic, Bowser, or Ike, their updates will proceed normally. Any characters after that will get their updates released when they're finished, if we feel like finishing them. At the moment these include characters like Marth, Fox, and Falco. They are slight though, so don't expect drastic changes.

For Project M users, you guys will get extra recolours instead of costumes for more consistency. The extra costumes won't be team-friendly, however (some of Project M's costumes have team colouring). This can be fixed with cBliss, but we don't want to mess with the P:M codeset to avoid any issues. In Ike's case, he will get his current costume as his alternate, while his new model takes his main set. We will release an additional DLC pack for those who want the extra recolours as well. We were planning on adding Awakening Marth as Marth's costume, but after looking around, it seems Shun has lost the PSDs, so Awakning Marth will most likely not happen.

Seeing as there are people willing to try texturing the P:M alts themselves though, we'll upload our assets (where permission permits, some people might not want their stuff shared). Keep in mind that these will be released as-is, so some files may be messier and harder to navigate than others. I'll also create a tutorial for texturing in the Smash 3 style using the same techniques we've been using.

Thanks for understanding guys, this is why we love you all.
And then when we take over, we'll put dio's face on everyone and call it Super Smash Dios!

But honestly yea. Its been pretty awesome seeing you guys here and enjoying the hard amount of work you put in for us. I hope all goes well for you and you thoroughly enjoy the game and your life.

Edit: Curious question, if or when SSB4 is able to be modded, will we see y'all again?

Last edited:

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
It was a great journey but is not over yet. I take option 1 for consistency (and we can use cBliss anyway), hoping to see pronto my Hero of Blue Flames.

Monado of Time

Smash Rookie
Hi, I just wanted to know if Smash 3 can work with a hackless Project M? because I was able to put other mods to different characters and it was awesome to do. I really like this mod and would very much like to play it before the Wii u version comes out.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Hi, I just wanted to know if Smash 3 can work with a hackless Project M? because I was able to put other mods to different characters and it was awesome to do. I really like this mod and would very much like to play it before the Wii u version comes out.
Yes it does work!

Monado of Time

Smash Rookie
Well, I was asking because my game froze when I installed it in my sd card. I did see the models for five seconds and then...poof... it froze, and by the way thank you for responding!

Last edited:

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
You should do option 1 but have a download option for number 2 (for just the recolors without messing with the alts.)

Thanks for all your work guys. But I really don't think this project is long run dead ;)

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
So Sonic gets his new model? :D
Check the progress chart. It looks like he's been revived?!

Well, I was asking because my game froze when I installed it in my sd card. I did see the models for five seconds and then...poof... it froze, and by the way thank you for responding!
That's...weird. Try defragging? I can't say I've seen that before, it should work.

You should do option 1 but have a download option for number 2 (for just the recolors without messing with the alts.)

Thanks for all your work guys. But I really don't think this project is long run dead ;)
I don't think we'd make a second download for a version with the P:M alts, those can just be dragged in again to replace our files. Plus then we don't need to worry about P:M making updates to their costumes while we're away.

Monado of Time

Smash Rookie
Check the progress chart. It looks like he's been revived?!

That's...weird. Try defragging? I can't say I've seen that before, it should work.

I don't think we'd make a second download for a version with the P:M alts, those can just be dragged in again to replace our files. Plus then we don't need to worry about P:M making updates to their costumes while we're away.[/quote
If you don't mind I wanted to list how I installed the mod onto my sd card just to hear any suggestions if I missed a step etc.
1. Downloading the mod. (simple enough)
2. Grabbing the PM file from the folder.
3. Drag and drop the PM file onto my sd card and a Window will appear if I want to replace.
4. put the sd card on the wii and load up the game.
Also, on the instructions what do you mean to put the file in the root of the sd card? that is the one thing that I would like more info on. Thank you![/quote]

Last edited:

Wing Zero

Smash Apprentice
I'll also create a tutorial for texturing in the Smash 3 style using the same techniques we've been using.
neat, now i can make this brick wall texture with absolutely no person in front of it at all in the smash 3 style

Last edited:

SomeSmashBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JayTheTrainerGuy
3DS FC
2234-7163-8539
I don't really post to often but this deserves anyone and everyones thanks. This is a beautiful work of art that I know I'll still be using even after Smash U comes out. Thank you Smash 3 team for your incredible work and devotion.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
If you don't mind I wanted to list how I installed the mod onto my sd card just to hear any suggestions if I missed a step etc.
1. Downloading the mod. (simple enough)
2. Grabbing the PM file from the folder.
3. Drag and drop the PM file onto my sd card and a Window will appear if I want to replace.
4. put the sd card on the wii and load up the game.
Also, on the instructions what do you mean to put the file in the root of the sd card? that is the one thing that I would like more info on. Thank you!
[/quote]The root of the SD card would be right when you open it. The fact that you got the "Would you like to replace?" dialogue means you dropped it into the right area. If you saw the models ingame for a few seconds before it crashing though, that sounds like a problem with the SD card somewhere, so either try reinstalling ProjectM and Smash 3, or try defragging.

Monado of Time

Smash Rookie
The root of the SD card would be right when you open it. The fact that you got the "Would you like to replace?" dialogue means you dropped it into the right area. If you saw the models ingame for a few seconds before it crashing though, that sounds like a problem with the SD card somewhere, so either try reinstalling ProjectM and Smash 3, or try defragging.[/quote]

Ok, I will try to reinstall project m and then put smash 3. Also Thank you for taking the time to explaining the root of a folder!

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
Hope you guys like Fox! Note that the four at the end will replace the Melee costume, however, we've kept teams in mind here and put the colours in slots where they'll fit team battles well!

He'll be released when he's fully ready.

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!

As you all know, Smash 4 is coming. You all probably know we're fuelled by our motivations, so I hope you can understand that at this point with the game just 4 days away, our motivation is dwindling right now. I've had the opportunity to play the demo, and I can say that this game is just too good. So good, in fact, that I can't see myself returning to older Smash titles. The same is true for the rest of the team, we just can't see ourselves having the motivation to finish the alt costumes now that the game is so close.

In addition, our team is not as large as you guys might imagine. At this point in time, we only have 2-3 active texturers, and two active modellers. Shun was already planning to leave Brawl modding when October 3rd hit, making us feel like we had a deadline to hit already. As you might imagine, retexturing Brawl is already a huge task in itself, so doing the alt costumes would just take too much time on top of the remaining cast we have to finish.

Again, I hope you all understand. Thanks for sticking with us all this time, it's been great seeing all the feedback we've gotten from our users. But in the end, we just want to play games too.
Only just saw this and I just want to say thank you guys so much for being such an inspiration! The reason I started modding was from Shun's Shadow Dragon, Taiko's amazing work and then over time the whole team! It's the reason I'm working on my build everyday! I wouldn't be where I am if not for you guys so I'm extremely grateful and happy no matter what decision you guys make! I'll continue to support you guys! Thank you so much!

Hope you guys like Fox! Note that the four at the end will replace the Melee costume, however, we've kept teams in mind here and put the colours in slots where they'll fit team battles well!

I think my Mind imploded seeing that, those recolors! (RIP Wolf ;-;)

Last edited:

ShiroiKen

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot for all the hard work. It's been a great ride, finish up and move on! :)

Thanks thanks thanks for making Brawl so much prettier. This is my favourite mod.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026

So much mixed feelings on that, I really like Masked Man Lucas, Fire Peach, Mr. L, etc. but I can forgo alts like Melee Fox / Falco but I have no control over this development team.

All I can say is, do what's efficient for you.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman

I want the Project:M Melee Fox model with these recolor themes. So good. Really love the orange and gold with green scarf. New blue looks chill too.

Top Bottom