• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Simpsons Movie

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well I'm about to go and watch this movie and see how it turns out, I'm thinking it will be hilarious, so is anybody else gonna go watch it?

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I saw it at midnight last night. It was amazing, very very funny. Definitely go see it. I didn't think it was perfect; in fact I found it lacking in some areas. But it's definitely one of the best movies of the summer.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I'm gonna play devils advocate here.
The new series of the Simpsons are appalling. It's just crazy antics, and the characters don't drive the story anymore.
I don't watch it anymore. I'm placing faith that the movie will be the same,
a random, pointless, unfunny ball of what used to be great comedy.
But I haven’t seen it mind, but if it's like the new series, I hardly expect much.

*Sigh*
I'm gonna get Uber flammed now, arent I?
:p

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I saw it Thursday and I thought it was a great movie, around the beginning is definitley where the movie is funniest.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
*Flames Blackadder* Just kidding.

I also think that the shows today are just terrible. I stopped watching the show after I was lied to about the 16th season being "the greatest season yet."

My major problem with the show is that it has become to satirical. They claim that they are unbiased in their political satire, but its really obvious that they're all Liberal.

However, I just watched the movie, and it wasn't to bad. I went in with a mind set of hating the film, and that I wouldn't find anything funny. I was surprised that the film did manage to get some chuckles and some intelligent, unexpected jokes in, unfortunately they also had to resort to some really bad jokes as well.

The film had a lot to live up to, and had a lot of things the fans wanted to see, and they did a good job of making sure they got as much as possible (minor characters, locations, references) in it.

The problem I had with the film is the same problem I have with the show... TO ****ING SATIRICAL... Other than that, it was pretty funny, and the animation was decent. It was better than the show's anyway...

If this is how the Simpsons legacy was going to end, I would have been satisfied with it.

Blackadder

Smash Master
*Flames Blackadder* Just kidding.

I also think that the shows today are just terrible. I stopped watching the show after I was lied to about the 16th season being "the greatest season yet."

My major problem with the show is that it has become to satirical. They claim that they are unbiased in their political satire, but its really obvious that they're all Liberal.

However, I just watched the movie, and it wasn't to bad. I went in with a mind set of hating the film, and that I wouldn't find anything funny. I was surprised that the film did manage to get some chuckles and some intelligent, unexpected jokes in, unfortunately they also had to resort to some really bad jokes as well.

The film had a lot to live up to, and had a lot of things the fans wanted to see, and they did a good job of making sure they got as much as possible (minor characters, locations, references) in it.

The problem I had with the film is the same problem I have with the show... TO ****ING SATIRICAL... Other than that, it was pretty funny, and the animation was decent. It was better than the show's anyway...

If this is how the Simpsons legacy was going to end, I would have been satisfied with it.
I agree, it's *too* satirical. And in a unfunny, "Bush said nuclear" way.
I checked reviews for the film, and there generally positive.
At least that hints it IS far better than the show, which, sadly, is STILL going for another season.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
I saw the movie,thought it was awesome.Easily the best movie this year,of course,the competition wasn't much.Some great moments.If they put the same effort into each episode as they did in the movie,it would be one of the leading shows again.I was laughing beginning to end though.:grin:

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I thought it was good, but after they
escaped the dome
I thought it started to fail. I would say it was enjoyable, though I really wish it was more like the beginning.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
yeah i gotta agree, it was a good movie but I kinda fell off during the middle, but indeed it was hilarious, and was better than some of the new episodes, good movie, I would recommend if you like to see alot of comedy

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
I saw it last night and like most people in this thread I thought it was very funny. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just make sure you watch it with someone/s who is equally as eager to laugh at the movie as you are or else you'll find a lot of excuses to not laugh at some things and dislike the movie.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
This movie was very funny. Almost all of the jokes were clever, and I don't think there was a single "groan" moment (though I might have to see it again for the final call on that).

My only complaint was that it didn't feel epic enough. I mean, come on, this is the Simpson's Movie! They have to do something amazing! A giant dome just wasn't that exciting when you consider some of the other episodes (like when Mr. Burns tries to block out the sun).

That's just a fan complaint (as you know, I hate fan complaints:)). Everything else was truly amazing. It kind of makes me feel sad. Why can't the series be as funny as this? Why can't they think of jokes this good in the show?

I hope this isn't the last movie they make. The amount of comic gold in this movie left me wanting more.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
The fact that I didn't laugh to tears bothers me.

It had a chuckle with about every other line, but nothing had me rofling all over the place.

And for that, I give this movie a thumbs down. :(

WaterTails

Smash Lord
:( still haven't seen it, but that's what friends' birthdays are for!

Hmm, not what I expected... let's leave it at that... also,

It needed more Ralph!

_kSo_

Smash Master
I saw it yesterday. I was very satisfied. Not as funny as i would have liked it to be but I liked the story

Sugoi

Smash Apprentice
This movie was ****ing awesome! Man the jokes were right on!
It is absolutely the opposite of what the TV show is now, b/c the jokes actually make crack up. I loved how Scratchy is the Prez w/ Hillary as vice prez that was hilarious. Just a ****ing good time, man the theatre I went to was Extremely full!

Pros

Jokes will have u crackin up for alongtime.

Plot was pretty good.

Characters use was almost perfect.

Cons

Could've done w/o the Marge Homer cheesy love fest

Sony

Smash Apprentice
I couldnt see the movie we have some crappy theater that u have to have an i.d card on fridays-sunday i wanted it too see it so bad and now i dont have a ride to go on the weekdays so im pretty much screwed i dont have an i.d card cause im like 15

LieutenantSerg

Smash Lord
I couldnt see the movie we have some crappy theater that u have to have an i.d card on fridays-sunday i wanted it too see it so bad and now i dont have a ride to go on the weekdays so im pretty much screwed i dont have an i.d card cause im like 15
No johns

10 char

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
Im very dissapointed with this movie.

I was expecting more. Much more. Maybe like one of the best animated movies or best comedies this world has ever seen.

but i left the theatre disgusted.

I was amused by many things, such as the opening, the gag on people in the bar running to the church and the people in the church running to the bar, and of course Ned Flanders.

As a sipmsons fan fro mas long as I can remember, this movie was like saying, " hey, you've been a devoted fan all these years, and now we're gonna take your seven bucks to show you pointless dribble for less than 2 hours." or rather, a hard slap in the face.

my biggest irritation is that few people will even dare to call this movie out for what it really is: RUBBISH simply because the good Simpsons name is tied in with it.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
No **** Sherlock. You can watch any movie online for free, dude.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
lol

No **** Sherlock. You can watch any movie online for free, dude.
nothings free, it comes at someones loss. Most people learn that in grade school.

As for the movie itself my friend worked on it. I got to visit the studio to see all those animators work their ***** off. Even if the movie sucked a lot for the average viewer, you appreciate it more if u saw how it was done.

heres a list of the worst movies ever created:
brothersgrimm and bridge to terabythia, enough said.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
As much as I laughed at some parts, which were paced well through out the movie, overall it was a bit of a let down. It was essentially like three good (read mid 90's) Simpson's episodes with a coherent plot.

And I agree with Mana, when you see all the work that animators (especially cell animators, who are slowly dwindling out) do you gain new respect for them. They sit over a desk day in day out working on one scene, fixing minute details of shading or perspective. They deserve more credit than they get.

Nevertheless, it was a good movie, a decent movie, but it was still a let down.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Just for the record, I wasn't saying it's morally correct to watch an un-released movie online, but I thought everyone knew you COULD, hence the Sherlock comment.

Just for the record.

Anyways, me and my buddies are going to see it tom.

ctkxtreme

Smash Rookie
Loved it. Worth seeing. Did any of you guys stay during the whole credits? There was some extra footage, and a big surprise.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
I stayed, and no there was no real big surprises other than something like "executive manager" not being all it was cracked up to be.

Bailey

Smash Hero
That movie rocked

My favorite part was

When he said I have a Chain Saw.

Also they tried to get Spider Pig in the movie too early IMO

Weed

Smash Lord
I absolutely loved it, it definitely went against some laws.. but it didn't really matter in the end.
But afterwards, I felt it was missing something...

Maybe a fight between Flanders and Homer

Edit: One thing that bothered me, is that they didnt change any of the jokes from the commercials/advertisements...everybody saw them coming

SuperWario

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm sure a lot of people will get mad after I say this, but....

The Simpsons, IMO, are overrated. I usually have a very open-minded sense of humor (you could say), but the Simpsons is pretty much just a bunch of kiddy jokes and dull antics to me. I've never really laughed at any Simpsons jokes besides the "D'oh!" ones.

Family Guy is a different story though--hilarious...

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
True... Becaue Family Guy is just the most original show ever made. Family Guy has never stolen anything from the Simpsons...

Saying the Simpsons is overrated is okay... Saying Family Guy is on a higher level is not.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, I'm sure a lot of people will get mad after I say this, but....

The Simpsons, IMO, are overrated. I usually have a very open-minded sense of humor (you could say), but the Simpsons is pretty much just a bunch of kiddy jokes and dull antics to me. I've never really laughed at any Simpsons jokes besides the "D'oh!" ones.

Family Guy is a different story though--hilarious...
You evidently didn't see the unoriginal Family Guy movie. The show ended after 3 seasons for me, anything after is just fan-fiction ( like the Star Wars Trilogy)

The movie was REALLY great and hilarious. I went with my girlfriend who only saw a few episodes and she was laughing the whole time. Best line "This book has no answers!" with the bible.

They did their ****est to get every minor character in and I thought it was a great story overall.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Heehee.

I finally saw it.
I rather liked Ralph claiming "I like men now."

But it was...okay.
Pretty funny really. It reminded me fondly of the old days, when the show was good.
I enjoyed it very much, but it steadily went down after the Alaska part.

Also, Wario...guy thing:
Family guy is truly hilerious. I mean, WHERE did they find the inspiration for the show? The jokes? I do not know.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Family guy is truly hilerious. I mean, WHERE did they find the inspiration for the show? The jokes? I do not know.
Other than dripping with sarcasm, the show never was really original. They did exactly what South Park was doing well before it with topical humor. Unfortunately, as the show went on, instead of relying on a cohesive storyline, they just used topical flashback references to fill 30 minutes. The show took a turn for the worst once they had their long break and Seth McFarlane began working on Robot Chicken (a 15-minute show of "topical flashbacks") and the quality really went down.

Apart from flat out stealing show concepts from The Simpsons, Family Guy has devolved into a show that is not intelligent, but **** near insulting (of one's intelligence).

Top Bottom