• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Shoulds" and "Should Nots" of Your First Tournament

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
The first mistake I made going to my first tournament was using a Wiichuk combo. I quickly saved money as fast as possible and got a Wii, CRT(I had one lying around), and a GameCube controller. I have the adapter to use on the Wii U that allows you to use the GameCube controller as a classic controller, but it's not amazing. It works, but not when your transitioning between Wii U with the adapter and Wii setups without the adapter. The triggers are digital through the adapter which is a massive problem when your switching between Wii U practice and playing on Wii setups because on the Wii, the triggers are analog. Just a hint of advice if anyone happens to be in the same boat I was. Now it's so great. The GameCube controller is amazing, comfortable, and sturdy. Inputs are more natural and with the CRT especially having no lag, I feel like I'm in complete control of my character.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
One bad habit I see from new Smashers at their first tournament: watching matches instead of playing matches. While grand finals is sure to be hype, this isn't twitch.tv. Don't sit and watch every round of brackets when you could be getting valuable friendlies with players you aren't going to see tomorrow.

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
I attended my first real tourney a little over a month ago and will attend another soon. This article looks professionally written and seems to be a great strategy for improving and having fun.

Walshay

Smash Rookie
My first tournament will most likely be evo but I'll only be spectating matches or play some friendlies to learn about this environment. Hopefully I'll meet some awesome people there. Can't wait.

P0pz

Smash Rookie
Speaking as someone who's planning on attending their first tournament pretty soon, I found this post to be really useful and informative. I was kind of worried about how I'm going to do and whether or not I should be discouraged by losing or whatever, but this changed my perspective a bit and I feel a bit more confident now. Great work!

mawnji

Smash Rookie
My school has alot of brawl tournaments. But there always random stages, all items on. Lol guess where all noobs.

X X X

Smash Rookie
Im actually going to a tournament for the first time...but ive been really anxious to go to one for a while....i cant wait to play and crack under pressure ha

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
@ Metmetm3t Metmetm3t : Both you and this article speak truth. If I follow all this advice, I think I would actually stand a chance!

P0pz

Smash Rookie
Im actually going to a tournament for the first time...but ive been really anxious to go to one for a while....i cant wait to play and crack under pressure ha
Lol I know how you feel, it's like no matter how much you train for it, you just never feel like you're ready. I'd say just go for it and have fun no matter what happens. It is more about the experience than the glory at first, after all.

Fidooblius

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xDirtface
3DS FC
2036-8028-4791
Switch FC
SW-1888-7943-9184
Naw son. You should come with the intent to win no matter how bleak or impossible you might think it is.

The only way to win is to think you can win. If you don't do that the first day and you just come to "learn" you're delaying your own success :]
but if you lose with the expectation of winning every match, you'll just get angry or feel bad about yourself afterwards.

Last edited:

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
but if you lose with the expectation of winning every match, you'll just get angry or feel bad about yourself afterwards.
Not necessarily. I always think I can win as long as I play smart. If I lose, I accept it and think about what I did wrong during the match. If you're the type of person to beat yourself up if you have a winning attitude, don't have it. For me it works since I'm able to accept my losses, know I did something wrong and try to change it. If I was outplayed, I'll try and see what I can do to stop that person from outplaying me next time.

Jayhawker

Smash Apprentice
I hope to go to tournaments in the future. Smash 4 is gonna be my game.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Not necessarily. I always think I can win as long as I play smart. If I lose, I accept it and think about what I did wrong during the match. If you're the type of person to beat yourself up if you have a winning attitude, don't have it. For me it works since I'm able to accept my losses, know I did something wrong and try to change it. If I was outplayed, I'll try and see what I can do to stop that person from outplaying me next time.
@ Fidooblius Fidooblius : Pretty much what he said.

indyrenegade

Smash Cadet
So much of this is true. I went to my first just a month ago and got wrecked really hard. But I would say that the tournament I attended is eye opening to me because my learning curve has gotten better since playing it. Now I'm wondering how much I would have wrecked my opponents today in comparison to then.

ToastyDaMosty

Smash Rookie
NNID
ToastyDaMosty
This is probably the most legitimate way to look at tourneys as a whole

I was just getting back into the scene of things recently (Gotham Games was a blast) but I still have a lot to catch up on now, I'll be going to as many tourneys as possible because well dang man every match I fought in that GG tourney felt like I was fighting someone who was way more deserving to be in top 8 more so than myself, I still got into top 8 mind you but I was worn man

If anything I'd say more about coming prepared and how important these guidelines are.

Top Bottom