• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Short Hop Fireball -- A Guide

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
This will be short and simple. Feel free to expand upon it with your own knowledge and ideas.

With any luck, the collective advice might actually be useful to someone. Maybe.

(So, it turns out this was my 100th post as well, making this guide slightly more significant.)
(AND it was posted at 4:20. >_< Happy accidents, eh?)

Here goes:

The Short Hop Fireball FAQ, version 0.99, Alpha Edition

Introduction:

Hello, everyone! My name is Kenjiblade (well not really), or Kenji for short. You may know me from...well, you most likely don't know me at all. I haven't exactly been an active member of Smashboards (despite being here for quite some time), but I'm trying to change that now. I also frequent GameFAQs' SSBM forum, although I doubt anyone knows me from there, either.

Anyway, the following is a short guide to the Short Hop Fireball, which I have written in the span of about twenty minutes -- if that.

Enjoy! (Or hate me forever, whatever you feel is right... ;) )

WHAT IS THE SHORT HOP FIREBALL?

The Short Hop Fireball (referred to as SHF from now on) is one of Luigi's various techniques. It is merely the act of performing a shorthop, and then pressing B to launch a Fireball while in the air. Note that this does not reduce lag, increase damage, or do anything special when compared to the normal, grounded Fireball. In other words, there is no inherent advantage to using a SHF.

THEN WHAT'S THE POINT?

Mindgames, my friend, mindgames. As any serious SSBM player knows, it's that mindgames are the game. If you can make your opponent do something they wouldn't have done otherwise, you've succeeded.

Now, it's important to note that the SHF should be used very sparingly, as the cooldown time (or "lag") of the attack is fairly large. If you try to spam it (not that it's even possible, given how slow the move is), you will pay for it.

OKAY, I'LL BUY IT...FOR NOW. HOW DOES THIS HELP LUIGI'S COMPETITIVE GAME?

Ah, a good question. Truthfully, it will rarely (if ever) help a tournament-level Luigi player. However, it does much in the way of humiliation/gratification to actually make contact with a SHF.

For example:

Suppose you're approaching an opponent by wavedashing. Naturally, your opponent is expecting you to perform an aerial -- nair, dair, bair, whatever. In any case, they'll probably either shield, or back away. Instead, you launch your assault with the SHF. Your opponent probably will not be hit by it, and probably will counterattack successfully.

There's also a strong possibility that your opponent is thinking "WTF!" and becomes lulled into a false sense of security by your seemingly n00btacular move.

Of course, that's when you blow the opponent away by employing your originally intended strategy; that's the plan, anyway.

-----

That's just one example. You could also simply WD backwards and SHF as they come near you. Also unlikely to hit, and also probably a bad choice.

The possibilities are endless! ...Sorta.

IS THIS A SERIOUS FAQ? DO YOU THINK ANYONE IS REALLY BUYING THIS?

I think you can answer those questions yourself. Chiefly, this was done because I wanted to be "helpful" to the Smashboards community by writing a guide for my favorite and main SSBM character, Luigi.

Secondly, I wanted to make a slight satire of existing FAQs, while maintaining some level of seriousness.

Thirdly? Well, I was really bored/tired, and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Credits:

First off, thanks to TobiasXK for the idea of SHFing in the first place. Prior to his references, I was merely using WD'd Fire! XD

Also, if you want a very good Luigi FAQ, I recommend TobiasXK's. It's a work-in-progress, but it contains some of the best Luigi advice I've seen. The "prequel" to TXK's work can also be found at GameFAQs; it's the Luigi FAQ written by Magus17/Windu.

Thanks also to anyone with enough time patience to have actually read all of this; you rock!

Thanks to all Luigi players, everywhere, for simply using the big L to great results. Make me proud and show off your SHFs!

And of course, thanks to Smashboards itself, as this post would not have been possible without it -- and the great community that dwells within.

Oh, and...boredom and a lack of sleep were also responsible for this. So for them, I say...thank...you????

The FAQ will be updated in the future, depending on your input.

Happy Smashing! ^_^*

Brookman

Smash Hero
shf > grounded fireball for one reason...

you can move while doing it. standing still in melee = you suck/diez

mac holland

Smash Cadet
SHF over someones head into WD f-tilt sometimes knocks the opponent back into the fireball. This will most likely surprise the opponent into sheilding.

Here are their options after you do a SHF into WD:

- Stand there and sheild (Grab)
- Stand there and dodge your attack (Charge smash)
- Move forward (f-tilt them into the fireball)
- Move backward (Good job. You've used a SHF to get your opponent away from you.)

Red_Oxygen

Smash Apprentice
The Brookman said:
shf > grounded fireball for one reason...

you can move while doing it. standing still in melee = you suck/diez
While in the air you can stomp rush in with the fireball(CFalcon)
You can also move backwards or use it to bait a ground rush(jump then dair or jump then LC)
WDF is useful
use the fireball on the ground to stuff grabs(like marths) while using a,grab and LC to save you after the lag.

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
Well, of course. This 'guide' was made to entertain fellow Luigi players, more than anything else. If it provides anyone with absolutely anything they can actually use, that's just icing on the cake.

Anyway, I'm enthralled to see some input from other Luigi players on this, as well as their own 'strategies' regarding SHF.

Slightly off-topic -- in Smash Revolution, they really should make Luigi's fireball better. You know, so the term "SHF" is actually a valid strategic term next time around. ;)

Gea

Smash Master
Meh, the only time I find it overly fun is bouncing them off of the fin on corneria so they go straight up.

tehSANDMAN

Smash Apprentice
i like to stick in a fireball when I get knocked back far to sometimes stop an aerial from coming. thats the only thing i ever use it for, besides amusement.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
I find fireballs to work for cancelling pills and for mindgames. I'd say it's used about as often as Shiek's chain or DK's ground pound though.

Gea

Smash Master
Except pills come out way faster than your straight shot fireballs. <.< Tobias subtley hinted at the fact you're only going to get one, and I would really advise against that, as the lag can be punished.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
Yes, it's quite ill-advised. I fireball pills from far away, screwing around, but a pillrush? You MIGHT take out one with a fireball, but then you just eat two more and a sex kick/fair, so... Not too good.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
It's not a terribly useful move but it has a place, albeit a tiny one.
We are trying to think of ways to make it useful though, right? =P

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
Pneuma said:
We are trying to think of ways to make it useful though, right? =P
Yes, that's certainly a goal. Of course, we still keep the full realization that SHFs (and Fireballs in general) are not Luigi's best option; they're a hilarious one at best. :laugh:

Seriously, though, I'm trying to integrate SHF into my game; incredibly sparingly though, or else I risk getting completely dominated.

It's a nice distraction every once in a while, but no one's about to win any tournaments based on its concept alone.

Oh, I also wanted to get a feel for how many serious Luigi players (or at least, people that know about Luigi) there are; I'm enthralled that quite a few of you responded to the thread at all.

mac holland

Smash Cadet
Go for some fireball combos.

LIKE POW!

SHF, WD, SH f-air. Once they get hit by this, they're going to want to air dodge_interrupt. This is good for you because you can get free damage on them because fireballs suck.

That is the best property about them. They aren't good. Make it a point to seem like you're going to get punished after them and then just... don't.

I've actually full jump fireballed then hit them with d-air on the way down and they HIT the fireball in the air.

*****ES!

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the "kind" words, sir.

You do know it's not meant to be a real guide, right? If you managed to read past the first few lines, you'd understand as much.

Besides, the mere existence of this thread doesn't affect you in any way, particularly if you, I don't know...ignore it.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but there's no need to "throw dis shiz in tha garbage", as you so eloquently stated. There have been far more useless threads than this in the past, and I'm sure this thread isn't actually hurting anyone.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Interesting guide. By the way, I noticed two of your top three characters are Luigi and Falco. Is it hard to maintain two characters that have such huge differences in falling speed?

Kenjiblade

Smash Apprentice
Yes, it does become difficult at times. When I get really focused with one of them, the other character's game suffers.

In fact, at some points, it seems as though Falco is my better character, despite the fact that Luigi is my alleged "main".

Of course, I need to update my sig now. I've since taken up some new characters, and ditched Link (I had some ditto matches with a friend for "dibs" on Link, and ended up losing the best 4 of 7 matches).

Wako

Smash Cadet
I once somehow canceled a Samus' NAir with a fireball. Strange.

Fridtjof

Smash Apprentice
I actually used a short-hopped fire ball the other day and my friend, fox, who was dashing at me stopped in his tracks and got hit by it.

He had no idea what I was going to do and took one in the face.

KevMoney

Smash Journeyman
Short hop d-air on someones shield to land WD fireball is pretty kool stuff. :)

Oh and .....PIMP TAXI 4 LIFE

Mouf

Banned via Administration
why tha mess did u waste ur time writing this? u can plan usez of tha fireballz and shniz but when ur in an actual match usually all of these planz never get used. if i got space ill throw a fireball or two and sumtimez it effz them up sumtimez it doezn't seriously jsut stop thinking so much and some day ur luigi might be az good az mine.

WeedLuigi

Smash Apprentice
Mouf said:
why tha mess did u waste ur time writing this? u can plan usez of tha fireballz and shniz but when ur in an actual match usually all of these planz never get used. if i got space ill throw a fireball or two and sumtimez it effz them up sumtimez it doezn't seriously jsut stop thinking so much and some day ur luigi might be az good az mine.
Why do u post like that? :laugh: Well I guess I am in no position to judge...
Anyway...Kev is pretty good, he jus recently put up match vids, so we actually have seen some display of his talents...
We have no evidence of yours(I am not saying that u arent good, I think I am great but it is only my opinion, I have yet to win a tourney or post a vid of my smash skills, so even if I was good, I cant tell people how good I am becuase I have no evidence of my goodness to put foward) so unless there is some evidence of your skills...like u show a vid or win a tourney...all u can do is agree or disagree wid a topic or post. Saying that your skills r so great doesnt really do much...for u or anyone.

Hat Hair

Smash Cadet
Kenjiblade said:
It's a nice distraction every once in a while, but no one's about to win any tournaments based on its concept alone.
I actually SHF'd to an fair ftw once against one of my more experienced friends. Now I don't see why this little tactic wouldn't be of any use. I second everybody who said that it must be used sparingly, though. Too many SHFs and the novelty of the concept will just wear... :p

Off-topic: I do hope that Iron Jack doesn't notice the time at which I made this post. :X

Gea

Smash Master
Desperate for response over it? Hah. What's funny is you kind of prove your point about fireballs, in a roundabout way. The one you attempt to use is worthless.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Lolz after reading this guide SHF has become a reflex for me. It has proved more useful. In fact I think it gives a slight more advantage than regular fireball. Seems to have a little less satrtup, or maybe that just the jump using it up >_>

Gea

Smash Master
I was actually mocking you. A bad projectile or not they have their use for pressure game and all, as well as edgegaurding fastfallers occasionally.

Hat Hair

Smash Cadet
So is his Luigi good, Gea, or what? I'll bet his isn't nearly as good as mine, and Luigi isn't even my main. :p

Keep the guides coming, Kenjiblade! *thumbs up*

Gea

Smash Master
Mouf's? I only saw one recorded match of it. And from there it was pretty bad. As in he was lifting up off the ground during his wavedashing, he got 80% put on him via Falcon's utilt on one stock, he slid off the edge multiple times, and he was fulljumping aerials. From that one match I saw of him he needs alot of practice.

Top Bottom