• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheikah Shrine; Impa's Spiritual home of Support & Speculation. Hear our voice Echo for a Echo Fighters Pass!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think they should cut Sheik and give some of her moves to Impa.

As far as her appearance I would’ve liked skyward sword or hyrule warriors Impa but since we know Link is going to be breath of the wild inspired I think a young version of breath of the wild Impa with elements from skyward sword/hyrule warriors Impa would be the best choice

Something like this fan art would be cool

However I also think old Impa would be an interesting choice as well!
nah she looks to much like paya, they should use one of her pre existing looks

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hard to see Impa in smash when the more popular Sheik and well-known competitively is already a lock in the smash series and a staple. 2 Sheikahs migt just be OD
To be fair it depends on what they do with her. Hyrule Warriors' Biggron Knife samurai Impa is different enough I'd say to the speedy ninja that two Sheikah could appear.

The Naginata would make her a LITTLE similar to Shiek in that she leaps around like a lunatic, but in a fairly different way to Sheik.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
To be fair it depends on what they do with her. Hyrule Warriors' Biggron Knife samurai Impa is different enough I'd say to the speedy ninja that two Sheikah could appear.

The Naginata would make her a LITTLE similar to Shiek in that she leaps around like a lunatic, but in a fairly different way to Sheik.

Plus considering how many games Impa has been in I think she could make a good replacement. Even if it means just taking Sheik’s moveset.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Which artist made that Young Impa with a BOTW design? It looks amazing! Shame we didn't see Impa like that in the game, great missed opportunity. Why didn't the Sheikah have a Champion? Urbosa also took over the role of being Zelda's protector instead of Impa, which also slightly bothered me.

But yeah, Impa taking Sheik's spot on the roster WOULD make a lot of sense. Yet am not seeing it happening anymore after Smash 4. Sheik got her own roster spot, and well it is likely it stays that way. Besides, people where already saying that Sheik is one of those characters standing in the shadows in tgt trailer. So she might already be confirmed in a way...

Am holding my breath for Impa this time. This seems the most reasonable time for a Zelda newcomer, but none really standout much outside of Impa. She's had a lot of support during Smash 4 speculation. Hopefully she did good in the ballot as well therefore. Cause Hyrule Warriors had created a lot of new support for Impa and was hugely relevant at that given moment. So to me, it still seems the most likely thing to have Impa in the game inspired on HW.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
I would love to have Impa, but I want the Hyrule Warriors version with the naginata and fire techniques. Or sword + water tech if there's too many fire users.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I would love to have Impa, but I want the Hyrule Warriors version with the naginata and fire techniques. Or sword + water tech if there's too many fire users.
I, personally, prefer the sword and water; however, with Greninja already playing quite a bit like Sheik, perhaps the fire idea is slightly better. If I had to choose between the two.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I personally vote to skip both the water and fire elements, and use the blue magic stuff from BOTW as a inspiration instead. No reason for that not to happen. Lucario also uses similar elemental attacks, so they can easily draw from that.

Speaking of Lucario, if he'd get his "sword" , as how he's often displayed in official media and the anime, Impa could be based on Lucario partly, say as a semi-clone. It fits rather easily. No Aura, a bit faster, taller and lighter and we have a great concept of a character.

Also, yes I do also think Greninja's inclusion sort of hindered Impa getting in. Not as a character, but more as a archetype of a fighter. It's quite easy to picture Impa playing much like Greninja in a way. Vanishing attacks, combining stealth, agility and "magic" / elementary attacks. I felt quite the same way with Shulk and Isaac even if the two wouldn't play alike at all.

How many of you guys also voted for Impa in the ballot?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yeah, I voted Impa. This was during my hardcore Hyrule Warriors playing days where I'd be spending a good 10 hours a week playing the game and given the choice; playing Impa.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think the timing of when the plans for smash 5 were made, being close to hyrule warriors, help her chances as she’s one of the central characters in that game.

How would you guys feel if Sakurai went the old Impa route?
I’d be excited either way but using old Impa seems like a Sakurai thing to do.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think the timing of when the plans for smash 5 were made, being close to hyrule warriors, help her chances as she’s one of the central characters in that game.

Less than thrilled if she's a slow magic user, but if she's a badass grandma with surprising speed I'd still be pretty excited. Would prefer the more youthful version but it's all dependent on execution.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Less than thrilled if she's a slow magic user, but if she's a badass grandma with surprising speed I'd still be pretty excited. Would prefer the more youthful version but it's all dependent on execution.
A Yoda type elderly badass would be interesting, or having moves from the final dlc boss from breath of the wild.

But yes I agree i’d prefer the youthful version.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

im up for that idea itd be hilarious

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Just wanted to say Impa would be a dope character, I haven't been on smashboards in years and I had to make a new account but hi lol

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'd love if they pulled a brawl sheik and just had the BOTW team come up with new designs for her sheik and ganondorf. Then have her use the sheikah weapons and technology that are all over BOTW. Although since BOTW seems to be the focus here, I'd say someone like mipha or daruk could beat her out in that case

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mipha and Daruk huh? Yeah they seem the most popular and unique as a concept for a Smash character if we'd have to pick from the BOTW Champions. Yet, I don't think they will have lasting influence on the Zelda franchise. Then again, neither did Sheik have a single role in a mainline Zelda game after Ocarina of Time and Ganondorf also hasn't appeared since the Twilight Princess remake. But they can somehow be excused as being veterans, and versions of Zelda and Ganon- who WILL reappear in some way or form.

And that's where Impa shines, cause Impa is also almost always guranteed to reappear. She appears as much as Ganon does himself as of late, which makes either Impa or a workable Ganon as the most steady 'core' characters to add as Zelda newcomers. Ganon being workable is highly debatable however. But Impa indeed lost a lot of base as a Smash newcomer because of her role in Breath of the Wild.

Oh man I remember how DISSAPOINTED I was when I saw BOTW Impa first. I spoiled myself just to see her, looking through all the early spoilers and stuff just because I needed to know how Impa was implemented. I was so dissapointed that I innitually didn't even wanna support Impa anymore, but am over that now.

If Sheik, Toon Link and Ganondorf return, the designs of the Zelda characters will be all over the place. In which case I think there will be a lot of alternative costumes, in order to gain some "lore canon" in the roster. I predict OOT, TP and maybe Hyrule Warriors designs for most of the cast of Zelda. And in that case, Impa would fit in fine with the rest.

Am still not sure if they would add in just ONE of the Champions in favor over 3 others, but I could see it happening with Daruk as he would provide a nice heavy weight concept of a newcomer, plus his personal ability would translate over very well and Gorons are a huge steady staple of the Zelda franchise, moreso than Zoras, Gerudos and Rito. That being said, if Impa is a semi-clone or downright last minute clone of Sheik, there's room for both her and Daruk, or another Champion (I say Urbosa).

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Mipha and Daruk huh? Yeah they seem the most popular and unique as a concept for a Smash character if we'd have to pick from the BOTW Champions. Yet, I don't think they will have lasting influence on the Zelda franchise. Then again, neither did Sheik have a single role in a mainline Zelda game after Ocarina of Time and Ganondorf also hasn't appeared since the Twilight Princess remake. But they can somehow be excused as being veterans, and versions of Zelda and Ganon- who WILL reappear in some way or form.

And that's where Impa shines, cause Impa is also almost always guranteed to reappear. She appears as much as Ganon does himself as of late, which makes either Impa or a workable Ganon as the most steady 'core' characters to add as Zelda newcomers. Ganon being workable is highly debatable however. But Impa indeed lost a lot of base as a Smash newcomer because of her role in Breath of the Wild.

Oh man I remember how DISSAPOINTED I was when I saw BOTW Impa first. I spoiled myself just to see her, looking through all the early spoilers and stuff just because I needed to know how Impa was implemented. I was so dissapointed that I innitually didn't even wanna support Impa anymore, but am over that now.

If Sheik, Toon Link and Ganondorf return, the designs of the Zelda characters will be all over the place. In which case I think there will be a lot of alternative costumes, in order to gain some "lore canon" in the roster. I predict OOT, TP and maybe Hyrule Warriors designs for most of the cast of Zelda. And in that case, Impa would fit in fine with the rest.

Am still not sure if they would add in just ONE of the Champions in favor over 3 others, but I could see it happening with Daruk as he would provide a nice heavy weight concept of a newcomer, plus his personal ability would translate over very well and Gorons are a huge steady staple of the Zelda franchise, moreso than Zoras, Gerudos and Rito. That being said, if Impa is a semi-clone or downright last minute clone of Sheik, there's room for both her and Daruk, or another Champion (I say Urbosa).
I still think the champions are better suited for abilities for Link or Zelda, but maybe prince Sidon or riju would fit as fighters

And I can relate to that Impa reaction but I don’t think that will hurt her chances. Like I’ve said before they can base it on botw Impa but younger, looking like paya/her skyward sword design. or Sakurai might just make old Impa playable with a mystical monk play style.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
BOTW Impa is simply not a fighter, not in the form that we saw her as. But yes indeed, I suppose a young Impa based on BOTW could still work if they base her of Paya and maybe with hints of the other Impas in the franchise. I suspect mostly HW and OOT Impa as they both also have white hair. But who knows?

Am still secretly hoping for a chance that a Skyward Sword HD is now in production and almost ready for release. That would really help Impa's chances of playability, especially if they are gonna make the game with a more open world, a sort of remake of the game to help it withstand some of the critics of before (no exploring was a huge one here).

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
BOTW Impa is simply not a fighter, not in the form that we saw her as. But yes indeed, I suppose a young Impa based on BOTW could still work if they base her of Paya and maybe with hints of the other Impas in the franchise. I suspect mostly HW and OOT Impa as they both also have white hair. But who knows?

Am still secretly hoping for a chance that a Skyward Sword HD is now in production and almost ready for release. That would really help Impa's chances of playability, especially if they are gonna make the game with a more open world, a sort of remake of the game to help it withstand some of the critics of before (no exploring was a huge one here).
Remember that final boss of the champions ballad dlc? I was thinking something along the lines of that, along with other basic old wise monk fighter tropes.

But yes I agree skyward sword Impa is best and I love that game so I hope it’s being remade for switch

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I also considered those attacks of the Sheikah Monk in the Champion Ballad DLC, but somehow I still doubt they would go with such a approach. Because after all, a character should be based more around their own actual abilities than others. Still, it's not a bad approach as a lot could be used still.

Skyward Sword HD also really needs to happen. Anyone know what sort of changes Twilight Princess and Wind Waker have gotten from their HD remakes? Cause am actually hoping Skyward Sword HD will change out significantly because the game would be THAT much better with a overworld much like Breath of the Wild, mostly cause combat in Skyward Sword is a lot of fun.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I also considered those attacks of the Sheikah Monk in the Champion Ballad DLC, but somehow I still doubt they would go with such a approach. Because after all, a character should be based more around their own actual abilities than others. Still, it's not a bad approach as a lot could be used still.

Skyward Sword HD also really needs to happen. Anyone know what sort of changes Twilight Princess and Wind Waker have gotten from their HD remakes? Cause am actually hoping Skyward Sword HD will change out significantly because the game would be THAT much better with a overworld much like Breath of the Wild, mostly cause combat in Skyward Sword is a lot of fun.
I mean they should but that doesn’t always happen, Zelda, Ness, Lucas, Ganondorf, etc

I’m playing through them with my girlfriend right now and Wind Waker HD has a lot of quality of life changes, faster sail, improved triforce quest, crisp visuals
Twilight Princess HD has less changes from what I recall other than amiibo stuff and of course the HD resolution
I hope both get ported to switch

And yes I agree I hope they have the same team that did wind waker HD do skyward sword because there’s a lot they can do to improve the game, I wonder if they’d go as far as to add a traditional control scheme option for those babies who hate motional control

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so i drew a newcomer poster for impa

its meant to be based of her entrance from hyrule warriors

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's nicely drawn, great you used the Skyward Sword design as well! Hopefully we'll see that design return one day, because honestly I was hoping for it to become Impa's main design in the franchise, both for her old and young appearances. Still am baffled on how they reduced Impa's role to such a huge degree in Breath of the Wild. A major appearance in that game would've easily sealed the deal for her into Smash.

Anyone else still hoping for a Skyward Sword HD?

Am also secretly hoping for more Impa playstyles in the next Hyrule Warriors. Can't just be a definite edition without some new content.. Or at least I hope. Would be a huge shame if it was.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's nicely drawn, great you used the Skyward Sword design as well! Hopefully we'll see that design return one day, because honestly I was hoping for it to become Impa's main design in the franchise, both for her old and young appearances. Still am baffled on how they reduced Impa's role to such a huge degree in Breath of the Wild. A major appearance in that game would've easily sealed the deal for her into Smash.

Anyone else still hoping for a Skyward Sword HD?

Am also secretly hoping for more Impa playstyles in the next Hyrule Warriors. Can't just be a definite edition without some new content.. Or at least I hope. Would be a huge shame if it was.
thank you skyward sword is my favourite look for her too

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seriously nice! You made them yourself? The BOTW Impa still makes me cringe however... But especially the 2nd of the SS Impa is great. I think I'll use that one, and the Hyrule Warriors one.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So today I just had a sort of envisioning dream, like a dream but being awake still, about Impa being a reworked Sheik in this next Smash. I am double posting because I don't wanna forget it.

Basically, Impa would use almost all the same animations as Sheik would, except she uses a sword quite similar to the Eightfold Blade of BOTW for her attacks. Moves that where reworked but still looked similar to Sheik where:

Dash attack, Impa would do a similar move but slashes with her blade whilst doing a similar attack.
U Smash, same animation but Impa does a crossing slash with her Eightfold Blade instead, still has a weaker hitbox which reflects the use of Sheik's attack
F Air, similar to what Sheik does, but Impa does a slash whilst holding her weapon back handed, greatly increasing it's range and utility
Side B becomes the Bomb Rune attack and has the 'blue fire' effect similar to Lucario's Aura attacks. Can finish opponents as well
Jab is the same for the first two attacks, the fury attack becomes a very similar attack like Sheik's but is now a rapid stabbing attack

Virtually almost all the moves are the same otherwise. Impa looked most like she did in Skyward Sword as well, but I think it was a brand new design, dunno if it's from a new game or not.

I wouldn't mind Impa getting in like this in the slightest by the way.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Seriously nice! You made them yourself? The BOTW Impa still makes me cringe however... But especially the 2nd of the SS Impa is great. I think I'll use that one, and the Hyrule Warriors one.
I know right, they're awesome.

They've all been done by MonlitIllusion with exception to the second Hyrule Warriors Impa which was done by SamJam.

There is a whole directory here

https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-switchs-signature-icons-thread.453386/

If you get time maybe add the Impa sigs to the OP

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just found this video.. Had to share it here.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Drew a thing, feel free to use it to spread your love of the Sheikah bodyguard!

Had to leave out Breath of the Wild Impa out due to not knowing where to put her and also I don't think she's shown any kind of skill that could be transferable to Smash? Not actually played the game yet but couldn't find anything on her.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yo that looks amazing! Especially like how you drew Skyward Sword Impa, who's my favorite! <3

I think I'll include that in the front page post.

No big deal you didn't include BOTW Impa, she's my least favorite anyway and probably the least workable as well.

Am still thinking that BOTW Impa probably has a young design lying around somewhere... Maybe they could use that for Smash as well, similar to TP Sheik?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yo that looks amazing! Especially like how you drew Skyward Sword Impa, who's my favorite! <3

I think I'll include that in the front page post.

No big deal you didn't include BOTW Impa, she's my least favorite anyway and probably the least workable as well.

Am still thinking that BOTW Impa probably has a young design lying around somewhere... Maybe they could use that for Smash as well, similar to TP Sheik?
Feel free Diddy!

It's kind of a shame. Breath of the Wild Impa may be the most difficult Impa to work out what she can do. Does she ever actually move? I've still not managed to get the game to get to know this version.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I'm not sure if I've ever expressed this sentiment before but I'm definitely a big Impa supporter. I've liked this idea since Skyward Sword and her continued reappearances (in various forms) has been something that should be represented in Smash proper. Of course, I'm the biggest fan of her Hyrule Warrior's appearance.

I passed by this tweet with concept art for her in game look and it just reminded me how much I love this character's design.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What coincidence! Been playing Hyrule Warriors for 3DS a lot since a few days. It's second hand, mind you, but luckily Impa was a rather low level still. So having lots of fun playing with her at the moment!

Not even sure what style I would prefer HW Impa to have in Smash however! I love both the Giant Blade and Naginata movesets. Couldn't possibly choose.

And it's great we're getting Hyrule Warriors for Switch yet again. Having Hyrule Warriors on the same platform as Smash Bros. since it's existance is a good thing! Also because Impa has a strong and significant role in the game!

Am still having hope! And I'd like to make a HW Impa moveset in the upcoming month or so.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What coincidence! Been playing Hyrule Warriors for 3DS a lot since a few days. It's second hand, mind you, but luckily Impa was a rather low level still. So having lots of fun playing with her at the moment!

Not even sure what style I would prefer HW Impa to have in Smash however! I love both the Giant Blade and Naginata movesets. Couldn't possibly choose.

And it's great we're getting Hyrule Warriors for Switch yet again. Having Hyrule Warriors on the same platform as Smash Bros. since it's existance is a good thing! Also because Impa has a strong and significant role in the game!

Am still having hope! And I'd like to make a HW Impa moveset in the upcoming month or so.
the answer is obvious, both

ive been playing a lot of hyrule warriors the last week too there always plenty to do

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm a Ghirahim guy but I need to admit, Impa IS! the next scheduled Zelda newcomer. There's no getting around it.

Top Bottom