• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheikah Shrine; Impa's Spiritual home of Support & Speculation. Hear our voice Echo for a Echo Fighters Pass!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
itd be amazing if we got a hyrule warriors style impa that had her older versions from skyward sword and breath of the wild as alts

the image of that little old lady with that massive sword

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
itd be amazing if we got a hyrule warriors style impa that had her older versions from skyward sword and breath of the wild as alts

the image of that little old lady with that massive sword
It's funny yeah, can't deny that. Shamefully Old Impa has never showed combat prowess, otherwise I could get behind it.

hAKLE

Smash Cadet
NNID
mariomush115
Count me in, I support Impa a l l t h e w a y . One reason, is that she is one of the most reoccurring characters in the The Legend of Zelda, and she has great moveset potential. (might make one for you in my spare time, who knows)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Great to see new supporters coming from everywhere! Good thing I bumped this thread I see. Seems supporting Impa is far more widespread at the moment, I feel sort of proud, coming from one of the single guys who supported Impa during Smash 4's speculation and when Skyward Sword was still "relevant". We've come a long way!

Personally, I still hope of a chance that we could get Skyward Sword's Impa, as she is my definite favorite Impa design and personality across the series and she got me supporting Impa in the first place. However I don't think she's likely unless they come with a Skyward Sword HD remake for Switch, which might be totally skipped over due to the control gimmicks of the game... Hyrule Warriors Impa is my second choice, and not a bad one altogheter. Probably a better choice for moveset potential, but I do like the design of SS Impa better. Hopefully she'll return to the franchise in a similar manner as in Skyward Sword. Her role in that game was simply amazing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa based off of Hyrule Warriors I imagine would be a lot fun to play. So count me in for her support as well.
Great to have you here as well! And awesome to see how widespread Impa support is, considering you're new here and all. Hope you and all new members will be active in these parts.

Speaking of HW Impa, check this out:

It's a Smash 4 mod of HW Impa over Cloud. It works extremely well. In my ideal world, I would replace Cloud with Impa in a heartbeat. Then again, I am not a fan of 3rd part content in Smash in the first place.

Anyway, if Cloud doesn't make it back it could be a nice way to keep his moveset around in a way. Not an exact copy paste, but more subtle like Villager / Snake (if that's a comparision even).

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Great to have you here as well! And awesome to see how widespread Impa support is, considering you're new here and all. Hope you and all new members will be active in these parts.

Speaking of HW Impa, check this out:

It's a Smash 4 mod of HW Impa over Cloud. It works extremely well. In my ideal world, I would replace Cloud with Impa in a heartbeat. Then again, I am not a fan of 3rd part content in Smash in the first place.

Anyway, if Cloud doesn't make it back it could be a nice way to keep his moveset around in a way. Not an exact copy paste, but more subtle like Villager / Snake (if that's a comparision even).
Cloud's my main in Smash 4 and I am a big Final Fantasy fan; but if Cloud ends up like Snake I wouldn't mind seeing some of his moves pass down to Impa.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Cloud's my main in Smash 4 and I am a big Final Fantasy fan; but if Cloud ends up like Snake I wouldn't mind seeing some of his moves pass down to Impa.
Eh yeah with a second thought, your name DOES imply as a Cloud main... My fault. But glad you seem to agree half here. I wouldn't want Impa as overpowered as Cloud however, but some of the Smash moves, Cloud's AAA, aerials and general movement really seems much like how I always envisioned Hyrule Warriors Impa. The Special Moves can be all different however.

Wonder what the next Zelda game will be like however... You guys thinking they will continue down the path of Breath of the Wild? Or will they take a more classic approach?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Eh yeah with a second thought, your name DOES imply as a Cloud main... My fault. But glad you seem to agree half here. I wouldn't want Impa as overpowered as Cloud however, but some of the Smash moves, Cloud's AAA, aerials and general movement really seems much like how I always envisioned Hyrule Warriors Impa. The Special Moves can be all different however.

Wonder what the next Zelda game will be like however... You guys thinking they will continue down the path of Breath of the Wild? Or will they take a more classic approach?
i kind of hope they try out some of the other ideas they had during the development of BotW

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
i kind of hope they try out some of the other ideas they had during the development of BotW
Which where..? Am not quite familiar with it, except for the Final DLC stuff. Which I guess I must remain silent about? Kind of a shame cause Impa did get SOMETHING out of the DLC, except not what I wanted exactly.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Which where..? Am not quite familiar with it, except for the Final DLC stuff. Which I guess I must remain silent about? Kind of a shame cause Impa did get SOMETHING out of the DLC, except not what I wanted exactly.
well the one idea called loz: invasion i liked the look of where hyrule was invaded by aliens

and there was hyrule wars which showed link moving through a battle field and they considered using the shrinking concept again there was even a weird modern version

they also made an open world game in the style of the original zelda

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Bumping this thread since Smash for Switch is officially a thing.

Impa is one of my most wanted characters. I'd love for more Zelda content and Impa is the best choice for a new Zelda character. I'd love it her Hyrule Warriors incarnation was used. HW just got a Switch port so she's definitely still gonna be in the public eye. With Link having his BOTW design, I'm curious if Impa would get in with an original design that takes inspiration from BOTW's aesthetic and art stytle.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Bumping this thread since Smash for Switch is officially a thing.

Impa is one of my most wanted characters. I'd love for more Zelda content and Impa is the best choice for a new Zelda character. I'd love it her Hyrule Warriors incarnation was used. HW just got a Switch port so she's definitely still gonna be in the public eye. With Link having his BOTW design, I'm curious if Impa would get in with an original design that takes inspiration from BOTW's aesthetic and art stytle.
perhaps if shes in, she and ganondorf will use their HW designs

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Y'know, that actuall DOES work in a lot of ways. A Young Impa with a BOTW-inspired look can definitely be a thing, considering they could use Paya as a base and then give her the facial structure of OOT / Hyrule Warriors' Impa with the big olde hat of hers in BOTW, and I think that's a golden design.

Seeing as Link is gonna be BOTW-based, I think most of the cast is gonna be. Or at least Zelda. Toon Link stands as a strong design on his own throughout the franchise, so he's out of the question. I still am not 100% sure of the return of Sheik and Ganondorf at this point. If Zelda or a Newcomer in the form of a Champion isn't gonna use Sheikah Slate abilities, then Impa could really make for a great newcomer cause of her actual abilities.

Then again, Hyrule Warriors does give Ganondorf and Sheik a new design. So that, plus a 3 time release since Wii U's Smash has been in development and released DOES make Hyrule Warriors a noticable game to consider. It's definitely the Wii U's more succesful gaming title, as well as DKC Tropical Freeze, Smash itself and of course Splatoon (which already has a character).

Am not sure what's gonna happen with the Zelda roster, but am excited for it nonetheless! Finally we're moving from the Twilight Princess designs, and that alone is a reason to celebrate. BOTW Young Impa doesn't make sense at it currently is right now, but I think there's a good chance that BOTW's map is gonna be used for a new game, or a prequel to BOTW, and if that happens, Impa becomes all the more likely.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I always think she has a good chance of making it based on the fact that she is such a staple to the Legend of Zelda series. I hope I am not let down this time tbh. I don't even care if she replaces Sheik.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Impa SHOULD replace Shiek. It makes too much sense, and she's a much more relevant character.

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
Impa is probably my most wanted new Zelda rep, unlessyou count a reworked Ganondorf/Ganon. I'd love for her to be at least somewhat referential of her Warriors incarnation--she'd be pretty representative of a popular game that made its way to three systems, and she'd have a huge awesome sword. Of course I'd want her to have nods to her other appearances too...I must admit though, I don't want her to completely replace Sheik. Even if she does "replace" her I don't want her to just take her moveset; maybe only have her take a few moves from her.

andimidna

Smash Master
I used to want her to replace Sheik, but honestly, the idea of a representative just for OoT feels kinda right just based off how iconic it was. I might be in the minority here, but I’d want Impa to be have an BotW-inspired updated version of her Skyward Sword design as her base, and pull her moves mostly from what she does in SS, but also have her moveset represent BotW, since Link realistically can’t have everything BotW had to offer.
For my Midna moveset, I mainly tried pulling from Hyrule Warriors sparingly, even though I personally loved it. It just seems like what they’d do imo, idk, does that make any sense?

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
I used to want her to replace Sheik, but honestly, the idea of a representative just for OoT feels kinda right just based off how iconic it was. I might be in the minority here, but I’d want Impa to be have an BotW-inspired updated version of her Skyward Sword design as her base, and pull her moves mostly from what she does in SS, but also have her moveset represent BotW, since Link realistically can’t have everything BotW had to offer.
For my Midna moveset, I mainly tried pulling from Hyrule Warriors sparingly, even though I personally loved it. It just seems like what they’d do imo, idk, does that make any sense?
If only we could've seen young Impa's picture in Breath of the Wild. Maybe we'll see it in an art book like we saw Sheik's unused design from Twilight Princess. I kinda wish Smash would just make all their own designs of the Zelda characters, reworking them to be influenced by their move sets. I think the Hyrule Warriors rendition of Impa did a great job of combining both the Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time design, while bringing in elements to make her more badass, but the Sheikah bring so much more to the table in BOTW and Impa has entailed the Sheikah culture on her own in most games (besides the horrific shadow temple).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With all due respect, we might see a Skyward Sword HD remake for Switch before Smash is released. Or at the very least, it's probably gonna be anounced in a Direct. If they could give Skyward Sword Impa those Sheikah Rune abilities, I think that would indeed be the best version of "canon Impa". However, Hyrule Warriors Impa is also still another very sexy possibility that am definitely NOT opposed against.

Both have their merrits. I just would prefer if Impa had a more stable design and role in the Zelda franchise. Old advisor is definitely not my favorite role of her... But it worked it's charm in Skyward Sword. Just didn't expect her to derail from that in her next major appearance.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Big supporter of Impa.

Hyrule Warriors main and definitely my favourite design for her, but it'd be amazing to see her Ocarina and Skyward Sword designs as alts too.

I hope we get more young Impas in future games. The elder Impas are kind of less active which is a shame.

Morbi

Scavenger
I more or less agree with your sentiment, I wanted her to replace Sheik (despite the fact that I prefer Sheik to Impa) until I saw what she could do in Hyrule Warriors. Once you note their inherent differences, it would be such a waste to have her replace a character. That being said, without doing that, her chances are significantly lower... I guess? Who knows what Sakurai thinks of Legend of Zelda. All I know is if they do not have a Triforce on their hand (because dis motha tried to include Toon Zelda and Toon SHEIK), and if they are not human (because Ganon is still not a thing), they are out.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I agree that the chances would've been better if we could get rid of Sheik entirely. However, she's probably there to stay because of how Smash 4 separated her from Zelda's moveset and gave her a own slot. That being said, I think that now, they are willing to rework the Zelda cast finally. Cause their designs where pretty much set in stone because of Twilight Princess, and Sheik got extremely lucky with that one. Next with Smash 4, they stuck with the designs because of the remake.

BOTW didn't have a workable Impa, but at the very least, it's a entirely new game and did extremely well financially. This is probably what inspired Sakurai to rework Link, and thus Zelda will follow at the very least. Which is great, cause the Zelda cast has been mostly left for what it's worth since Melee, only switching Young Link for Toon Link in the meanwhile and separating Zelda and Sheik.

They didn't just go for the Hyrule Warrior models and could have had their way and keep all the Zelda cast under one wing. design-wise. While Hyrule Warriors is a big benefic for Impa, it could also have led to just copy pasting the age old movesets with just new models. Am glad that's not gonna be the case.

Honestly, if they are gonna rework the whole cast, probably minus Toon Link (as we need a 'classic Link', plus Toon Link was always far better balanced than the rest of the Triforce Gang) then Sheik can become a low priority. Sakurai has stated relevance is a huge factor, plus Ice Climbers where also a 2 time veteran when they got the axe. Impa would maybe also be a low priority, but if they can fix a newcomer with assets used from Sheik's moveset in the form of Impa, I think THAT would be a huge chance for her to actually take over.

Or, if they decide to USE Hyrule Warriors and rework Ganondorf, there's a good chance they might want to work on HW Impa as well just for the sake of having a newcomer. Zelda is probably one of the biggest contenders of getting a newcomer for the sake of having a newcomer, much like I suspect was the same for Mario last time (which resulted in Rosalina and Bowser Jr.).

At the very least, Impa could make a lot of sense as a full clone of Sheik or a semi-clone of her if Skyward Sword HD comes to realisation. Sheik is mostly popular cause of her playstyle anyway, and having a clone of a popular moveset has often proofed to be a great idea, hence the popularity of characters as :falcomelee::drmario::roymelee::ganondorfmelee::4lucina:.

BOTW Link at first might be a discouraging thing, because of Impa's role in it... But in the long run, I think we can be far more optimistic.

As I also just cannot picture Sakurai just choosing ONE of the Champions and make them playable over the rest. If so, I think Daruk has the most sensible choice because of what he overall offers (think of :4robinm:'s situation compared to Chrom). With that said, Impa becomes all the more likely. Definitely NOT Midna, as they would probably keep the Twilight Princess designs if they did. Plus I think Midna was the most sensible Zelda One-Off if they'd ever include one after Sheik.

Most likely, Toon Link, Sheik and Ganondorf are staying. Most confident about Toon Link and Ganondorf. With them in the game, that would mean the whole of the Zelda cast is gonna be of mixed designs and not drawn from one game. BOTW Link and Zelda (maybe Sheik as well cause of the costume), with Wind Waker Toon Link and a separate design of Ganondorf... This leaves FAR MORE ROOM FOR IMPA! Why? Cause I think Skyward Sword Impa missed the boat last time because she couldn't really fit in with :4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4sheik: with her cel shaded design and NOT BE from the same game as :4tlink: to mesh with his design. She'd stick out too much, and people would question her addition.

Am suspecting a major overhaul of the Zelda cast, and one of these changes might actually be switching Sheik with Impa.

andimidna

Smash Master
The concept of Toon Sheik makes me sick ngl
I would’ve been so mad, even if it was just a last-minute clone that took next to no time, just bc of how poorly it represents the franchise and how misleading it’d be

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The concept of Toon Sheik makes me sick ngl
I would’ve been so mad, even if it was just a last-minute clone that took next to no time, just bc of how poorly it represents the franchise and how misleading it’d be
Well, don't be. Am pretty sure that idea has been tossed outside the window the moment it was thought up. But honestly, yeah it's a terrible idea still </3. But am 10000% confident we won't get 4 seperate Zelda entities on the character select screen / roster. Cause pushing Sheik as her own character is already quite pushing it honestly.

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
I thought Toon Sheik was supposed to be Tetra. She would definitely been cool to see in smash.

andimidna

Smash Master
I get why people would think that, but considering Toon Link’s late development (see SSE), there’s no way they’d have made “Toon Sheik” more than a last-minute clone alongside the Toon Zelda clone. This doesn’t rule out the idea of Tetra with Sheik’s moveset, but that sounds really weird lmao.
I don’t know, like, why not call it Tetra if it was Tetra?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I love Impa, was crushed that Sheik returned when they were separated.
But now I cannot support Impa as much as I'd like, as I still need to finish the DLC for BotW.
Until that point, I have to post blindly, fearing spoilers.

This is torture. Maybe I should just go game instead of posting.
SOLUTION!!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Having not played BOTW, the spoilers of the DLC didn't really get to me. Regarding Impa, that final DLC is somewhat relevant to her but not fully. You'll notice why.

Am also pretty certain one of the characters in the shadows of our first glance at the game is Sheik. She seems to be standing next to Samus. So am kind of already expecting her to return... which is indeed a bummer, but a understandable one.

Still, Impa has her own merrits and in a way, it would be great to see both characters in the game. Ever since Smash 4, there's far more material than Skyward Sword that could be used to draw a moveset for Impa. So in the end, it shouldn't bother TOO much.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The DLC only confirms that certain elements in BoTW are Sheikah-related, which also allows for even more creative liberties to be taken, to the point where everything that involves tech is fair game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The DLC only confirms that certain elements in BoTW are Sheikah-related, which also allows for even more creative liberties to be taken, to the point where everything that involves tech is fair game.
So Impa could easily become a sort of Magitech Monk type of character, which is kind of unique in it's concept. Mix it with the agility that Sheik is well known for, and I think that's a far greater base for a playstyle than most other Zelda characters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So Impa could easily become a sort of Magitech Monk type of character, which is kind of unique in it's concept. Mix it with the agility that Sheik is well known for, and I think that's a far greater base for a playstyle than most other Zelda characters.
imagine if she brings the guardian laser

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
imagine if she brings the guardian laser
It's a definite possibility, yet I want Impa to draw mostly from the magical attacks. It works best with her overall style of fighting in Skyward Sword, where she was also mostly magical based.

I still want the barrier from Skyward Sword as well honestly.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It's a definite possibility, yet I want Impa to draw mostly from the magical attacks. It works best with her overall style of fighting in Skyward Sword, where she was also mostly magical based.

I still want the barrier from Skyward Sword as well honestly.
It's definitely magic if she shoots it from the back of her hand

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's definitely magic if she shoots it from the back of her hand
You mean the Guardian Laser attack? Or from the cutscenes in Skyward Sword? Because both could work.

Then again, I don't want Impa's moveset to be a BOTW-mash up / forced / cluster**** kind of deal. Just one design alone, preferably. This is why am hessitant of talking about other possibilities, as the Deku Nut which was used by both Impa AND Sheik during OOT cutscenes (honestly, I still DON'T GET IT why they didn't change up Sheik's Side B to that in Smash 4) or the barrier attack which stopped Ghirahim's assault on Zelda in Skyward Sword, see cutscene here:

As you see, the Sheikah 'Magitech' stuff already had it's roots in Skyward Sword. I also envisioned it being visually much the same as Lucario's Aura-based attacks. :4lucario:

This HELPS Impa's cause, because it shouldn't be used for Lucario's energy attacks alone. For example, Ganondorf and Mewtwo both have the same 'purple dark energy' based attacks ever since Melee. I believe even Robin has this effect on Nosferatu?

Anyway, lots of stuff to draw from. And I believe the whole Sheikah Magitech stuff took it's roots from Skyward Sword to transfer over to Breath of the Wild. So combining both would be ideal, and gives a good idea of what Impa could be capable of as a Smash character.

I wonder if they would give her a weapon though? Probably not, cause otherwise Zelda and Ganondorf would most likely have used their already, since they also both use a sword in Twilight Princess.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I think they should cut Sheik and give some of her moves to Impa.

As far as her appearance I would’ve liked skyward sword or hyrule warriors Impa but since we know Link is going to be breath of the wild inspired I think a young version of breath of the wild Impa with elements from skyward sword/hyrule warriors Impa would be the best choice

Something like this fan art would be cool

However I also think old Impa would be an interesting choice as well!

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Hard to see Impa in smash when the more popular Sheik and well-known competitively is already a lock in the smash series and a staple. 2 Sheikahs migt just be OD

Morbi

Scavenger
Hard to see Impa in smash when the more popular Sheik and well-known competitively is already a lock in the smash series and a staple. 2 Sheikahs migt just be OD
To be completely fair, if we can have two Link and two Zelda with the potential of having a third and a second Sheik during Brawl, I do not believe it would be overkill.

Top Bottom