• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheik Counter?

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
So me and my friends are having problems countering 1 character...sheik. Does anyone have any ideas on how to counter her?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
So me and my friends are having problems countering 1 character...sheik. Does anyone have any ideas on how to counter her?
Sheik is flawless in every way, the only way to beat Sheik is with a better Sheik...

Nah, just pick someone like pac man, jigglypuff, or Lucario. None of them are hard counters but they do give Sheik a run for her money.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Lucario and Yoshi both do decently well. I know of no others at the moment.

Judo777

Smash Master
Her only tough MU's in Brawl that can have transferred to this game are Lucario, Kirby, Peach and maybe MK if hes not too nerfed. IC's and Pika aren't a thing anymore (more specifically Pikas CG).

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
dont take my word for it but i have seen it in action sheik seems to have a hard time countering luma however that may be because the person using rosalina and luma was experienced lol thats all i can offer

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
i already said this but have you tried using rosalina and luma luma seems to beable to counter her rather easily

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
Okay I guess I'm not asking the right question...what tactics have you guys found work against sheik, not just characters

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I'm gonna be honest you're probably better going to the character boards we've mentioned and just looking it up yourself. We're still documenting the fundamentals and basics of our character, so getting that kind of info at this time from us is likely premature.

Also we've only had the game for like a week so we all suck

no offense intended to this board

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I'm gonna be honest you're probably better going to the character boards we've mentioned and just looking it up yourself. We're still documenting the fundamentals and basics of our character, so getting that kind of info at this time from us is likely premature.

Also we've only had the game for like a week so we all suck

no offense intended to this board
None taken, I'm still trying to ftilt everything when I should be grabbing everything.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I still ftilt everything lol, that move is good!
Yeah Ftilt is still a good move but I'm starting to think that Sheik grab is more rewarding then ftilt at all percentages so instead of trying to do somethings like fair into ftilt/ditlt I should be going for fair into dash grab.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Yeah Ftilt is still a good move but I'm starting to think that Sheik grab is more rewarding then ftilt at all percentages so instead of trying to do somethings like fair into ftilt/ditlt I should be going for fair into dash grab.
Grab is SO good. So so good

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Grab is SO good. So so good
Undeniably. Sheik has no weaknesses. I'm semi-joking, but she has almost none. She's able to keep the pressure on almost any playstyle/strategy, and her powerful aerials are so excellent to compliment her grab.

That grab...

Which is better for starting an Uair combo, D-throw or U-throw? I generally use U-throw, but I'd like to know if D-throw is better.

As for OP's question...maybe get up in Sheik's face, don't give her time to react or attack? Like I said, Sheik doesn't really have much to go against her other than people who can predict and outspeed her I guess.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
D-throw is better, but stops comboing pretty early if they DI up and away.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
I've actually started liking fthrow more than dthrow in most situations

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
What is it about Lucario that makes him difficult? I've yet to face a good one (all of the ones I fought are Aura Sphere campers), and I've never played Brawl competitively, so yeah. Any hindsight on that so I know what to look out for?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
She's broken, she has little weaknesses. Easy to pick up and easy to abuse.

non of the answers mean much since she can destroy the whole competition so long as you're decent with her(which most people are on this board heck even me who just tested her out for 50 matches).

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I feel like anyone who can avoid her forced approach options rather easily do rather well against her, much like Melee. Looking at characters like Greninja and Jigglypuff for example.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I feel like anyone who can avoid her forced approach options rather easily do rather well against her, much like Melee. Looking at characters like Greninja and Jigglypuff for example.
Greninjas really give me hard time as Sheik. The shuriken spam and the annoying Shadow Sneak can really stop Sheik from doing much.

As for Jigglypuff, I did fight one and they can be tough. Not as bad as Greninja, bit they seem to have an advantage by floating right over and stuff. The Jigglypuff I fought stalled till Sudden Death then rolled at me and won because I neglected to stop charging my needles :(.

Last edited:

Lemonitis

Smash Rookie
The Villager is the most annoying thing to fight in Sudden Death simply for the fact that there's hardly a reason for him to return to the stage with the amazing recovery he have. Add his usual range attacks as a keep away game and he pretty much got the win.

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
The Villager is the most annoying thing to fight in Sudden Death simply for the fact that there's hardly a reason for him to return to the stage with the amazing recovery he have. Add his usual range attacks as a keep away game and he pretty much got the win.
so villagers OP?

Lemonitis

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't say that. Just a pain. I'd say just shoot needles once the match starts and throw caution in the wind.

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say that. Just a pain. I'd say just shoot needles once the match starts and throw caution in the wind.
awe i see yeah i dont have the game yet so i actually dont know alot yet just from wikipedia is all i know

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Sheik is the best character in the game, she has any option a character could want, a reliable recovery, solid off stage and onstage game, great combo ability and mix up game, solid kill moves, follow ups on grabs, amazing mobility options with the bouncing fish, great projectiles and perhaps most importantly (and partially influences my opinion on the smooth lander equipment) the best air to ground game of any character. She might even be MK broken or at the very least will be the main influence of this meta, tread carefully stage list planners... Every match up in the game will be in her favor without a doubt

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Yet Rosalina seems to be just as amazing. if not more, for the competitive scene.
Rosalina has weaknesses. She's fairly slow in movement and a lot of her attacks, and therefore can have trouble (or be evenly matched) with characters that can get up close and hit fast.

Sheik hardly has any bad match-ups. She can do well and keep the pressure on just about anyone in the cast because she has fast and hard attacks, good finishers, good projectiles, great aerials and a d-throw that can combo into them, an excellent recovery that can also kill and a good offstage edgeguarding game.

dna.noodle

Smash Rookie
I played against an excellent Sheik the other day. Seemed like I would only get frustrated trying to beat her as my main, Robin, because Robin's greatest weakness is characters who can apply pressure like Sheik can. I changed to ZSS and had a pair of even, exciting matches. ZSS is about as fast, has longer reach on her kicks and good projectiles for med. range harassment. I won one and lost one as her.

I feel like you do need a character that is well-rounded to match well against Sheik. Little Mac is good, but she can insta-gib him very easily with throws and off-stage aerials. Robin, I find, needs more space to control the board and a good Sheik really shouldn't be giving that to her. But characters that are hard to punish, that have good recovery moves, and can go toe-to-toe with her in a fist/leg/whateverthat****Jigglypuffhas fight seem to be good choices.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I played some Greninja players in tournament yesterday, I felt that we were about even in terms of how damage could be dealt except that Greninja had a much easier time landing kill moves. He could combo from nair to fair, dair to bair, u-smash and f-smash both killed much earlier than sheik's.... sheik doesn't have any combos into kill moves, really. She has combos, but they just hit yuo off stage and greninja is near impossible to edgeguard for me right now.

Gicks

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3454-1405-2619
dark pitt gives me troubles with his down b stopping me from a possible down a to knock him up, pacman with the ability he has that puts ghost on both sides

Anjo_Smash

Smash Rookie
I think Little Mac is hard for sheik personally but I could be bad at that MU. Little mac is really good in close quarters which is where sheik wants to be.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I think Little Mac is hard for sheik personally but I could be bad at that MU. Little mac is really good in close quarters which is where sheik wants to be.
More like Sheik is a really tough MU for Lil Mac.

People really underestimate needles... You can always pull back and toss out some needles and Mac will have a rough time doing anything about it. Not to mention Sheik is one of the best characters off stage, so getting Mac off stage can usually spell death for him, regardless of %.

Judo777

Smash Master
I played some Greninja players in tournament yesterday, I felt that we were about even in terms of how damage could be dealt except that Greninja had a much easier time landing kill moves. He could combo from nair to fair, dair to bair, u-smash and f-smash both killed much earlier than sheik's.... sheik doesn't have any combos into kill moves, really. She has combos, but they just hit yuo off stage and greninja is near impossible to edgeguard for me right now.
^^^ I was saying this a few days ago. She gained bouncing fish which is an attack that hits at basically the same range as DACUS does (obviously can be shortened to inside DACUS range but not much much closer) which the trade off of being able to use it in the air, with the down side of being twice as freaking punishable if dodged.

Sheik is really good at getting you offstage, but actually killing you outside of gimps you got to wait til about 150.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I honestly feel that Sheik is going to get much weaker as the game progresses just because she can't lead to any kill moves. It will takes multiple encounters before she can bring the opponent to kill %.

Anjo_Smash

Smash Rookie
I honestly feel that Sheik is going to get much weaker as the game progresses just because she can't lead to any kill moves. It will takes multiple encounters before she can bring the opponent to kill %.
I discovered she can, on some characters or with certain vectors, fthrow or sometimes bthrow into bouncing fish at kill percent (true combo) by double jumping quickly and mashing BF to get the hitbox out early. Weak nair to BF is also a true combo most of the time at kill percent. I've been landing these all a lot.

I also have an easy time getting my opponent to kill percent with sheiks amazing combo tools.

I'm not saying its easy for sheik to kill but there are setups out there.

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I discovered she can, on some characters or with certain vectors, fthrow or sometimes bthrow into bouncing fish at kill percent (true combo) by double jumping quickly and mashing BF to get the hitbox out early. Weak nair to BF is also a true combo most of the time at kill percent. I've been landing these all a lot.

I also have an easy time getting my opponent to kill percent with sheiks amazing combo tools.

I'm not saying its easy for sheik to kill but there are setups out there.
If the opponent is at kill % then honestly you can throw them off or hit them off and once they try to recover if you line up a Bouncing Fish off the edge just right, they're not coming back. The best part is that it isn't that diifcult to land, and if you miss it's still incredibly easy to recover.

If you time it just right you can also K.O with the disappearing part of Vanish.

Uair also kills at pretty high percents, I think +150% but I'm not sure.

Also like Anjo_Smash said, Sheik can rack up damage easily with her combos. You can apply pressure with needles and force them to approach, and when they do use Ftilt and grabs and Dash attacks etc and pull off combos.

Top Bottom