• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The sexy Link disscussion thread

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
The sexy Link spam discussion thread

Havokk Edit - Read the rules
Havokk's Rules:
1. Discussion must be about Link.

2. All spam will be infracted - this is a Link discussion thread. Not a spam thread.

3. With this thread, comes even stricter rules on any Link discussion outside of this thread. If you start going off-topic in another thread, I will be stricter - you should know it goes here.

4. Read rules 1-3 a few times; make sure you understand.

this is the thread for discussing anything that has to do with Link to avoid spamming.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I'm personally against discussion threads. I'll be editing your post with a few rules for this thread.

If anyone breaks those rules, they will be infracted for spam.

EDIT:

So I heard Link has arrows and stuff.

Has anyone read my LoZ: Saga blog? I can provide a link to it if wanted. It has a ton of random information on the Link games that most people don't know.

EDIT2:

super RAWR LoZ Saga Blog - Click Here

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
well it's better to spam in a discussion thread than to spam on other serius threads or to make own spam threads right...?
lolz rules are to strict at SWF...

SuSa

It's better to have a social group to be social in then to spam in the boards at all.

If you want to spam, keep it off the boards entirely. I let the minor thing here and there go - I don't want to be a jerk. But there is only so much I will deal with.

And discussion threads have a habit of turning REALLY spammy, REALLY fast. - Hence my blog (ages ago btw) about how GD's shouldn't be stickied, and I was even for the idea of CLOSING them all.

So be happy I'm letting this stay open, I had half the mind to close it - but it hasn't done anything yet and it's trying to promote discussion - not spam, so that would be unjust.

Incurable_Necrophile

Smash Apprentice
Knulla din Soffa, the mod powers have already gone to your head. Everyone with skill that mains Link is gone anyway.

Why does the Linkboard mod main Snake? {and MK in tournaments..?}, way to slap bottom tier in the face. Glad you're not the Sheik mod.

SuSa

Knulla din Soffa, the mod powers have already gone to your head. Everyone with skill that mains Link is gone anyway.

Why does the Linkboard mod main Snake? {and MK in tournaments..?}, way to slap bottom tier in the face. Glad you're not the Sheik mod.
1. I main Link/Snake, secondary Bowser/Falcon

2. I use Meta Knight in tournaments when unable to think of a better counter on the spot - I suffer from tournament anxiety my brain shuts down. (who counters ROB? *chooses MK* I at least know this is neutral or better)

3. What does it matter who's gone away? People can still come back, look around you a bit more - look who is in the Link BBroom. Look who's actually helping rather then complaining and moaning over every little thing that happens. How about stop *****ing and help? Don't want to do that? Leave.

Let's see...*goes to check your posts* anything useful at all since you've been here?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I really did have fun playing as Link...
I guess I might as well hang out around here more, contribute to actual conversation. And actually, I think Havokk's doing a great job. Don't bring tiers into this, because Link just can't cut it alone when you have good opponents.

Just be thankful they're finally doing something by adding these new mods.

Incurable_Necrophile

Smash Apprentice
It's not my character, but I play him and friendlies and have huge respect for people who play him and no one else, like Legan and Deva.

Havokk will self destruct, you can't run a forum that tightly when there's a better one with fewer rules.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
With fewer rules, nothing will actually get accomplished. You can go to AiB if you'd like, but we're trying to make this work out here.

When you look at how bad of a character Link actually is, there's not a lot to joke about.

Incurable_Necrophile

Smash Apprentice
I've checked AiB, the forums there are 100% livelier and have alot more info, really. These boards are months behind, lol. So who's wrong?

SuSa

I really did have fun playing as Link...
I guess I might as well hang out around here more, contribute to actual conversation. And actually, I think Havokk's doing a great job. Don't bring tiers into this, because Link just can't cut it alone when you have good opponents.

Just be thankful they're finally doing something by adding these new mods.
Glad to have you aboard and helping the conversations. :)

Link can cut it alone, it just takes unnecessary work, and no matter how good you are - you are limited by your character choice.

It's not my character, but I play him and friendlies and have huge respect for people who play him and no one else, like Legan and Deva.

Havokk will self destruct, you can't run a forum that tightly when there's a better one with fewer rules.
I don't have huge respect for them. Playing any "bad" character without any counterpicks is a neglect of an important part to competitive gaming. - Counterpicking and mixing things up.

With one character, there is only so much you can actually do to your opponent. If you're opponent knows your character, or even worse - you, you're pretty screwed.

My rules are set in here for a purpose. If I did what I wanted to do, and really did let the power go to my head, this thread would be closed already.

EDIT:

Keep thinking we're behind. I have things working behind closed doors. In fact, soon you'll think we're ahead. ^_^

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I've checked AiB, the forums there are 100% livelier and have alot more info, really. These boards are months behind, lol. So who's wrong?
Super cool, doode. :bee:
Go to AiB, no advertising.

Glad to have you aboard and helping the conversations. :)

Link can cut it alone, it just takes unnecessary work, and no matter how good you are - you are limited by your character choice.
Thanks, I really would hate to see this place die. I'm not liking how some of the new Links behave, seems like it could be frustrating to manage. If you ever need any help, just ask.

The same could be said for nearly any character, you just have to be the better player. It's really difficult when one of the many Meta Knights can gimp you with ease.

SuSa

Many people choose Meta Knight or Snake (most people choose Snake because they feel he's the best, not MK) because that way - they aren't limited by their character.

Choosing a character like Link and Falcon may be funner for you, but don't actually EXPECT to win often - your character is limiting YOU.

Also I'm sending you an invite to the Link BBRoom, accept if you like and read. Let me know if theres anything you're willing to do.

@incurable

One more post against the rules, you will be infracted. Watch your words and choose them wisely.

EDIT:

You posted at the same time. That's meaning he's telling you to "GTFO. Stop advertising", not that you are right. If you feel you are right, shut up and leave. That's the gist of it.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
The 'no advertising' thing was more or less a joke. We already know AiB's a cool site and all, but that doesn't mean we need to give up here.

If you're only here to talk down about the SWF Links, you can always leave, you know. The Sheiks desperately need your valuable input.

@Havokk - Sure, I can pretty much test anything you might need me to. I recall you saying you don't have a Wii at the moment, right?

Incurable_Necrophile

Smash Apprentice
I am right though, and leave? No way, I'm trying to help out smashers.

Edit: Havokk said himself he doesn't respect Legan or Deva for playing straight Link, lol. Lol, I say.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Straked, I swear you're everywhere.

Anyway, I should learn some stuff about Link, since I honestly have no idea how to play as him. I'm going to check some of these threads out, and maybe ask some questions. These boards need to be better, just because everyone left doesn't mean the people who are left should just give up on these boards. If you ever need some help with something I'll be glad to help.

As for most of the info being on AiB, we could just go there once a week or so and collect info, then discuss it here.

Ah, and Mr. Incurable, if you are truly helping smashers, then actually show some respect and post some advice etc. with substance. You aren't helping anybody by trolling and setting flame bait.

Incurable_Necrophile

Smash Apprentice

Anyway, I should learn some stuff about Link, since I honestly have no idea how to play as him. I'm going to check some of these threads out, and maybe ask some questions. These boards need to be better, just because everyone left doesn't mean the people who are left should just give up on these boards. If you ever need some help with something I'll be glad to help.

As for most of the info being on AiB, we could just go there once a week or so and collect info, then discuss it here.

Which would be inefficient AND shaft both communities. The best method is to discuss it with the community as a whole, not the smaller inexerienced half.

It'd also probably incite rage among the Link community who'd feel ripped off for their hard work.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Of course I'm everywhere. o:
I use nearly every low tier character, with the exception of Ganon. I can fluently use about 22 total, and I actually go random for tournament matches. No joke, I attend a monthly and placed 5th out of 35 in October, then 1st in November.

But I only used Mario and Ness in November...
This place might need my help, since Havokk can't do everything alone.

SuSa

I am right though, and leave? No way, I'm trying to help out smashers.

Edit: Havokk said himself he doesn't respect Legan or Deva for playing straight Link, lol. Lol, I say.
I don't respect them for their character choice.

Would you respect me if I started going straight Falcon? - I wouldn't. I'd call myself an idiot who's choosing a limiting character just because I enjoy playing as him.

I don't respect players for purposefully making a matchup harder on themselves. I respect those with the knowledge, and ability to use it, to turn matchups IN THEIR FAVOR. If you main MK or Snake, you don't really need any secondaries and you could straight main them.

Ah, and Mr. Incurable could be infracted for so many things...disrespecting forum leaders, censor dodging...
Yes, I know I could infract him a ton. He's actually getting one right now, I've warned him enough times.

Also thanks for coming aboard, might give you a ticket to the Link BBRoom if you stick around and help as well. :) (or if you want to test things, either small or large, etc.)

Also, I'm not going to be doing that entirely. Major/new things will leak here, and they can go their own way with the metagame. Discussing over major subjects over, and over, and over, and never really finding anything new.

EDIT:
Which would be inefficient AND shaft both communities. The best method is to discuss it with the community as a whole, not the smaller inexerienced half.

It'd also probably incite rage among the Link community who'd feel ripped off for their hard work.
So, we all move to one spot and we can share. Because thats efficient? But you know... sharing and being in two spots is inefficient and will piss you off....

Nice logic.

Incurable_Necrophile

Smash Apprentice
I'd respect it, playing the character you like instead of the one who's easy to play is proof of skill. Deva does it, Legan does it. And they're two very well respected smashers.

Edit: Naked DeDeDe; I'm trying to help them realise cutting the metagame in half will only put them farther behind.

SuSa

I'd respect it, playing the character you like instead of the one who's easy to play is proof of skill. Deva does it, Legan does it. And they're two very well respected smashers.

Edit: Naked DeDeDe; I'm trying to help them realise cutting the metagame in half will only put them farther behind.
What if you like a character who is top tier? Those people exist as well.

What if you're like me, you just enjoy playing as many characters? (I often go Random for friendlies, and have gone Random a few times in tournament). I'd say playing Random deserves more respect then just playing one character.

Also Top Tier or higher tier doesn't make them EASIER to play... Link is HARD to play well, so is Snake, Diddy Kong, Ice Climbers, almost every character has SOMETHING about them that make them hard to play.

EDIT:

We're starting to get off topic....

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
There's not a lot we can do. You said yourself that the AiB Links would get butthurt if we "ripped off" their hard work. The metagame is split because they left. We can't exactly fix this overnight, they won't come back, especially with a strict mod that does their job.

Incurable_Necrophile

Smash Apprentice
Lol, Snake takes a little strategy and tech skill, IC's take tech skill to maintain the infinite, which isn't too hard, and Diddy is relatively simple, you just gotta be smart with your nanners.

And I find it hard to believe that many more people are fans of MK than someone like Link.

ndayday

BRoomer

So you're telling us to go to AiB? No one will listen, as long as players still play as Link, there will be people on the SWF Link Boards.

Of course I'm everywhere. o:
I use nearly every low tier character, with the exception of Ganon. I can fluently use about 22 total, and I actually go random for tournament matches. No joke, I attend a monthly and placed 5th out of 35 in October, then 1st in November.

But I only used Mario and Ness in November...
This place might need my help, since Havokk can't do everything alone.
That's pretty cool. I use mostly lower tiers too, I'd say my main three characters are Jiggly, Peach, and Dedede. I always was curious about Link, I look forward to learning about him.

I'll attempt to get this thread on course by asking what Link's options for edgegaurding are. So basically, what are Link's options for edgegaurding?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
They're not fans of MK, they're fans of being able to win. :laugh:

That's pretty cool. I use a mostly lower tiers too, I'd say my main three characters are Jiggly, Peach, and Dedede. I always was curious about Link, I look forward to learning about him.
Really? Cool, Jigglypuff's one of my best. I've been helping out in the Jiggs Back Room for a few weeks now. We've actually made a lot of progress.

Oh yeah... this is getting slightly off-topic.

SuSa

There's not a lot we can do. You said yourself that the AiB Links would get butthurt if we "ripped off" their hard work. The metagame is split because they left. We can't exactly fix this overnight, they won't come back, especially with a strict mod that does their job.
He wants us to go there, to do nothing here (and probably nothing there) to conjoin metagames. Yet "stealing" would make them mad?

They can borrow from us to.. hope they know that.. but wait... they all hate us for enforcing rules that they were aware of, told of, ignored, and got pissy when someone finally decided to enforce the rules.

Lol, Snake takes a little strategy and tech skill, IC's take tech skill to maintain the infinite, which isn't too hard, and Diddy is relatively simple, you just gotta be smart with your nanners.

And I find it hard to believe that many more people are fans of MK than someone like Link.
Snake takes a TON of strategy to play well, I'm sorry, I think you may be biased towards your lower tiers being "harder" to play. Ice Climbers - you have to memorize how to chaingrab 39 different characters, and how to play when your chaingrabs just aren't working. That grab is pretty hard to get often enough.

How about when your opponent is in control of your nannerz? It takes no skill to be able to play against someone of your level who knows the matchup?

Your logic is really flawed, get over it.

EDIT:

Thanks Naked... now lets get back on subject...

Link wants to avoid staying off stage, simply put - his recovery is horrible. If your opponent is able to defend themselves or play smartly, you put yourself in a horrible position to be in. You can jump off and use nair (preferably the weak hit of nair to gimp) but you have to know which recoveries and characters would have an issue fighting that off.

I prefer to use the boomerang to gale guard, or even to hit the opponent in mid air (they go in a small tumble animation if you're close enough) then you can normally get a weak arrow shot in. - works on the "Falco" like recoveries... (bad vertical good horizontal)

You can also throw bombs off, or attempt to zair edgeguard. Zair only really works well on characters like Mario, if you know they are going for the ledge.

If you don't feel safe doing any of that, simply waiting for them to recover while shooting arrows and bombs at them is always a good thing. Once they on the ledge, just read them.

If they jump - Dair them.

If they roll, turn around and fsmash. Or SH dair them, etc.

If they do a getup attack, either shield it, grab them, and throw them off-stage again or SH to avoid it and use an aerial to hit them off.

If they do the normal getup, you probably didn't see it coming but you should be able to jab in time.

If they try to ledge hop, throwing a bomb down CAN sometimes stage spike them.. but its all about READING your opponent first.

Incurable_Necrophile

Smash Apprentice
Lol, I said play smart, that means not letting that happen =P And I think you are biased in the defense of Snake, but whatever. If low tiers werten't harder to play well they wouldn't be low tiers. It's harder to win with them, they're flawed, playing well means covering those bases. So yeah, you're the one with flawed logic.

ndayday

BRoomer
I'll ask again, in an attempt to put the topic of the thread in effect. All of these are not including edgegaurding applications, Havvok's post answered a lot.

-Bombs. When and how should they be used? Not looking for a guide, just basics. [I'll be reading guides soon enough]
-Boomerang. When/how should it be used?
-Arrows. How should they be used?
-What are effective ways to space with Link? Bombs? Boomerang?
-Every character has commonly used moves to rack up damage. What are Link's?
-Hardest matchup?
-Easiest matchup?

That's all I got right now.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Lol, I said play smart, that means not letting that happen =P And I think you are biased in the defense of Snake, but whatever. If low tiers werten't harder to play well they wouldn't be low tiers. It's harder to win with them, they're flawed, playing well means covering those bases. So yeah, you're the one with flawed logic.
No. Low tiers are only so low because they're not BAD characters. It's because the high tiers were designed with some groundbreaking tactic that helps them win. Without chaingrabs, Falco, Dedede, and the Ice Climbers wouldn't be nearly as high as characters like Kirby and Luigi.

I play as Mario. Now, despite having good aerials, great smashes, decent tilts, and a satisfying recovery, I'm doomed to middle tier or below because Meta Knight's dsmash/shuttle loop/'nado will win every time.

-What are Link's options to edgegaurd?
-Bombs. When and how should they be used? Not looking for a guide, just basics. [I'll be reading guides soon enough]
-Hardest matchup?
-Easiest matchup?
Edgeguard - Galeguarding, z-dropped Bombs, dair.
Bombs - I only use for edgeguarding, or to combo with an uthrow. Occasionally as an actual attack.
Gale Boom - Always use it, if I'm not right in front of my opponent.
Arrows - Arrow Cancel, mostly. Occasionally as an edgeguard to diminish someone's jump.
Space with Link - Bair, Bombs, Boomerang, Nair. Maybe Fair.
Moves to rack up damage - Uptilt, every projectile, zair.
Hardest - MK/Game and Watch
Easiest - Ness/Ganon.

SuSa

They can be easy to play - but lacking.

(To be honest as a Falcon secondary...) Falcon is pretty easy to play, theres not to much to him. But he's extremely lacking. He's an offensive character in a defensive game, doesn't really have any "good and quick" finishers, his recovery is sub-par, his ground and air game are "eh" with only a good move or two a piece, Falcon punch is basically useless the majority of the time, etc.

He has a pretty small learning curve, but he's the lowest on the tier list because hes lacking.

The tier list isn't a "whos easy to play, and whos not" list, its a tier list. How good the character does against the rest of the cast.

You can play smart, but if the opponent knows the matchup - its inevitable. Not even Ninjalink can keep his nanners away from the opponent the entire match, and M2K has used them against him. Both players are smart, and both know the matchup.

Playing smart will not always cover those bases. Playing smart for a Link main would mean "Never go off stage. Ever. Don't even be hit off stage. You're recovery is horrible, and you need to cover that. So don't get hit off base" which is -impossible- on a competitive level. That's like saying "don't get hit, play smart" and saying thats not flawed logic.

EDIT:

-Hardest matchup?
-Easiest matchup?

Bombs - as much as possible, just don't pull them when under pressure takes to long. They can be used along with a DACIT to have an offensive retreat, and overall generally mindgames and damage racking.

Boomerang - Read our guides, BAC, a "get out of my face" move, pretty fast projectile, set knockback. Read my thread on BAC/BACL (it's in the compendium)

Arrows - Damage racking, edgeguarding, 'stopping' opponent momentum. SHFFAC (shorthop fastfall arrow cancel) can stop opponents onslaught. The AC is generally fast enough that I use it nearly every time I land on the stage and think the arrow will hit my opponent.

Boomerang, bombs, and zair. your best friends

Projectiles and bair and zair

IMHO Falco or Meta Knight

Ganon. If you play him well enough, much like Ganon vs Samus, he shouldn't touch you really.

Incurable_Necrophile

Smash Apprentice
.. Harder to play well does = low tier, because it takes alot more form those characters to do well. D3 can spam Dthrow and you're playing well, with Link, Ganon, Falcon, ect, there's alot more to it. Sorry to say.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Florida's 50% Dedede. We're the bairiest state you'll ever see.
Dthrow, utilt, bair, dtilt, inhale. That's the gist of playing Dedede.

Link is... beyond complicated. One of the main reasons why he's so fun to play.
Oh, and I only use Fox because he has the best pivot grab in the game.

SuSa

Prepare Yourself | Stolen from the Peach Secondary Thread without permission said:
Learning Curves

Very Large (at least a month):
:yoshi2: :shiek: :zerosuitsamus: :popo: :snake: :sonic:
Above Average (2-3 weeks):
:peach: :bowser2: :diddy: :wario: :ganondorf: :samus2: :pt: :lucario:
Average(1-2 weeks):
:mario2: :luigi2: :dk2: :link2: :kirby2: :dedede: :olimar: :falcon: :pikachu2: :jigglypuff: :ike: :ness2: :fox:
Below Average (5 days to a week):
:zelda: :toonlink: :rob: :falco: :marth: :lucas:
Very Small (2-3 days):
:pit: :metaknight: :wolf: :gw:

That doesn't look like a tier list to me....and to me, it represents pretty accurately the learning curves.

Incurable_Necrophile

Smash Apprentice
I'm a Sheik main and I'll still call that list crap. Link's learning curve is one of the most hellish.

Lol, you've confused learning curve with 'hard to play well', in this case, well enough to win. Well failed. o_O That list is still crap.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
That is fairly accurate. Although, Dedede and Falco should both switch spots.
They're both blue birds, after all.

Incurable_Necrophile

Smash Apprentice
Link and D3 have the same learning curve? Yeah right. Apparently A Sheik main knows Link better than the people on the Link boards..?

SuSa

*facepalms*

1. Link's learning curve is roughly a medium. I agree with that because I picked him up in a matter of days, and was good enough to win with him in roughly a week.

2. Learning curve > How hard it is to learn a character

How hard it is to learn a character > How well you can play

How well you can play > Can you win?

Can you win? > Yes

Yes < You can play well enough

You can play well enough < You have learned the character

You have learned the character < No longer "learning" but just "getting better"

hmm.....................

EDIT:

No, you know him less and think you know him. :)

EDIT 2:

Go learn how to beat MK/Falco/Sheik, or any of the NON-CHAINGRABBABLE characters with D3. Take away his chaingrab, he's LESS of a character and HARDER to learn.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
The list was made by someone that mains both Peach and Toon Link.

Link and Toon Link just don't mix.
Almost like Ness and Mario. Which are my two best.

But... I've gotten progressively worse in Brawl. I've placed lower and lower in tournaments lately. I blame Melee, lol. I main Doc.

SuSa

And he/she wasn't biased in where they put TL or Peach.

To be honest, I said the list is pretty accurate. I'd change a few things, but for the most part I agree with what is stated.

I get better at Brawl the more I play Melee :p lol

Now then, I'm getting sick of this.

Naked, got any more questions? Let's keep this on subject.

Top Bottom