• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Search Engine Topic

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
For some reason, people decide that we are their search engine. Over the past couple of days, we have had quite a few posts of people asking for something that could be done with a very simple Google search. Those days are over.

Effective with this post, any new threads that request some type of information, website, help, anything that can be found with a simple Google search will warrant closing and 1 point warning.

This topic will serve as the ONLY topic allowed for such practices because some people can simply not use a search engine properly. The topic will work as follows:

1. You need something, but cannot find it.
2. You post the following form filled out:
Search Item:
Description:
Deadline:

For Search Item, try to make it as short a phrase as possible, but also, as descriptive as possible. Aim for around 10 words max. For description, go into what you are looking for, what purpose you want to use it for, and anything else to help the searcher. Deadline is just used if you need it by a certain time limit.
3. A searcher (for now this is opened to anyone on the boards, but if I see that people are exploiting this by double posting links, linking to inappropiate stuff, or just doing an unproductive job, I'll appoint searchers) will post a reply with the information you wanted, links, and a short description of the link (50 words max). The title of the reply should be "RE:(search requester)".

Sample:

I am looking for a book on early British Literature covering Cromwell. I add a reply to this topic filling out the form:

Search Item: British Literature covering Cromwell.
Description:I need as many books as possible covering Oliver Cromwell and his role in Early British Literature for a class assignment. Internet articles are ok.
Deadline: My paper is due 2 weeks from tomorrow, so I'd like the sources by Friday.

A search would return with the links he found and a description and reply in a post titled either "RE: Crimson King" or "RE:Oliver Cromwell" or something descriptive enough for me to know that that is my post.

Rules of this Topic:
  • No discussion posts. This topic is to curb the unnecessary creation of topics that can be resolved in a single post. It is not meant for discussing the links or anything like that.
  • No joke links. Nothing that links to a video, picture, or anything unrelated to the description you post, if you are a search.
  • No double posting. This is common sense.
  • No forum requests. This falls under the category of advertising. Since a lot of people have their own message boards, they will be quick to post theirs in hopes of gaining new members.
  • No referral links. This is pretty much enough to get you banned from posting searches and from being a searcher. If you look at my signature, that is a referral link because I get credit if you visit that link and sign up under me. The signature is the only place for it! (Signatures are allowed in the topic, btw, hint hint)

Let's keep this productive and hopefully it proves useful. I will keep this unstickied for a while to ensure interest. Thanks for any cooperation.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
No limit. As long as it something actually useful and not just you making searches for post counts.

Jammer

Smash Lord
topic: linux
description: general information about it... i just want to learn a bit more about it
deadline: nonexistant

did i do it correctly?
Try the Wikipedia article first.

I don't think any other sources are really necessary.

This topic is probably for more obscure things, like "What poem has been turned into a song by the greatest number of musicians?"

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Finally someone said it :)

all right, i'll be the guinea pig:

topic: linux
description: general information about it... i just want to learn a bit more about it
deadline: nonexistant

did i do it correctly?
(lol at the guinea pig, I guess being first helps to understand the thread at least)

What CK meant, is to request things that aren't easy to find on a search engine. Look at the example...

I am looking for a book on early British Literature covering Cromwell. I add a reply to this topic filling out the form:

Search Item: British Literature covering Cromwell.
Description:I need as many books as possible covering Oliver Cromwell and his role in Early British Literature for a class assignment. Internet articles are ok.
Deadline: My paper is due 2 weeks from tomorrow, so I'd like the sources by Friday.
Now THAT's a request hard to find on a simple Google search.

And hey, Linux is more for the Computer Café room than here :ohwell:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
No no, I meant it as more of anything YOU have trouble finding. For instance, today we had a thread about game sprites. I clicked once on google search and found exactly what he meant. Waste of a post, spam, and pointless.

Hence for the topic. This is to avoid all those stupid topics, spam, etc. But I do want to keep chatter to a bare minimum.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
Search Item: Sheet Music of Brat Pack.
Description: Sinz would be very happy (I'll put this 'cause I'm not asking it).
Deadline: It seems to be none.

There, I fixed it for you ;)

But I prefer the ones that request something are the ones posting here.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Search Item: Song Title
Description: I need to know the title/artist of a song I found in a remix, I cut it out and made a video of it so I could put it on youtube, here's the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yybw6dZcELU
Deadline: none

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Something that's been driving me nuts (not a wheel in my pants) is trying to find a drive in movie theater.

topic: Drive In Theater in Perth, Western Australia
description: If any exist, and perferably a name or adress of said drive in.
deadline: Whenever.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh dude, that's BRILLIANT!

Shame the current movie selection isn't so hot, but me and my lady of choice haven't seen The Game Plan, so it sounds like a good movie to test the cinema out on. Thanks a bunch!!!!!

Yes, I used multiple exclamation marks. That's just how pleased I am.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I only ever found that list of drive throughs, but could never actually find anything ABOUT them, like if they still existed, as that list was rather old.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Search Item: Sheet Music of Brat Pack.
Description: Sinz would be very happy (I'll put this 'cause I'm not asking it).
Deadline: It seems to be none.

There, I fixed it for you ;)

But I prefer the ones that request something are the ones posting here.
Thank you Sage.

Search Item: Sheet Music of Brat Pack by the Rocket Summer
Description: I am trying to get the music as early as possible to learn to play this song on the piano, and to also put it to lyrics.
Deadline: As soon as possible please.

Thank you!

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
Topic: Ipods
Specifically: How would i go about getting a video on an ipod without using itunes? Or is it even possible? I already have it in mp4 format.

Deadline: Next year.

EDIT: nevermind, found a solution. If youre bored you can still try to find if its possible, though.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Topic: Sheet music
Specifics: I need guitar sheet music for "Classical Gas."

Deadline: whenever.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That's not sheet music; it's tab. Tab is for people who can't read music and pretend they can play. I detest tablature except when transcribing myself.

I want sheet music.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
No, it doesn't. To guitarist, maybe. To musicians, sheet music = notes, staff, keys, etc.

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.
Topic: Kirby Super Star MIDI's
Description: I'm looking for MIDI's of EVERY SONG in that game, for a project in my music class.
Deadline: The beginning of February

Topic: Drawn To Life COMPLETE OST
Description: The soundtrack to the DS game 'Drawn To Life'. There are multiple soundtracks that only have some of the songs. The complete OST has around 40.
Deadline: Whenever.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
RE: Goopygoo

Topic: Kirby Super Star MIDI's
Description: I'm looking for MIDI's of EVERY SONG in that game, for a project in my music class.
Deadline: The beginning of February

Topic: Drawn To Life COMPLETE OST
Description: The soundtrack to the DS game 'Drawn To Life'. There are multiple soundtracks that only have some of the songs. The complete OST has around 40.
Deadline: Whenever.
Here's what I found for the Kirby Super Star Midi's
http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/index-gr.html

I didn't download it, but hopefully it is what you were looking for.

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.
The Kirby Super Star link actually only has about half the songs, but it'll do. Thanks!

The DtL torrent is actually a ROM, which technically isn't what I'm looking for. Thanks anyways, though. Speaking of which, you may want to remove the DtL link, as I'm pretty sure ROMs are illegal, and we don't want you to get in trouble over a mistake.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
The Kirby Super Star link actually only has about half the songs, but it'll do. Thanks!

The DtL torrent is actually a ROM, which technically isn't what I'm looking for. Thanks anyways, though. Speaking of which, you may want to remove the DtL link, as I'm pretty sure ROMs are illegal, and we don't want you to get in trouble over a mistake.
Yikes, sorry about that. Maybe I should have checked it before sending the link to you. As for the Kirby Superstar one, that site had the most out of any others that I could find, but I'll try to see if I can maybe find some more for you.

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
Topic: SHEET MUSIC FOR VIOLIN: LoZ OoT, SMGalaxy, Classic Super Mario (just various well known themes)
Parameters: must contain no music for piano at all. must be violin only part. can be part of an orchestration.
Description: i am going to play these pieces and impress my classmates
Deadline: 1/5 (i need it as soon as possible)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Topic: Telescope with Camera.
Specifics: I am looking for a telescope under $100 that has a pretty decent magnification (at least 200x). I'd like to avoid eBay because I had a REALLY bad experience with it last time. There was a nice one at Wal-Mart that had a camera attachment, but it's no longer in store.
Deadline: January 15th.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
You know what...im starting to think Crimson King put this thread together so he can get you mindless droids answering his questions!!!

lol jk

oh just remembered

That's not sheet music; it's tab. Tab is for people who can't read music and pretend they can play. I detest tablature except when transcribing myself.

I want sheet music.
OH MY GOD YOU'RE ONE OF THEM!!! Thats pretty stupid of you. For a moderator, thats really low. Its fine to say you detest it, but to say its for people who can't read music and pretend to play is absolutely...well...stupid.

It is true that many who know nothing of music theory use it, but that doesnt make it useless; in fact, the ideal guitar music sheet would contain both tablature and proper notation. Why?

because unlike instruments like piano, guitar has multiple places to play the same note, and sheet music does not specify where to play the note on the fretboard.

So im just here to say that you probably shouldnt go around saying that, because it makes you sound like a snooty classical musician.

Top Bottom