• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

MattX20

Smash Hero
So the FDC remakes appear to be doing pretty well worldwide!

In NA, the games are currently #14 and #16 on the best-sellers eShop in NA.

While over in Japan, they’re #2 and #4 on the eShop, and the collector’s edition is currently sold out.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-19-2021-may-10-may-16.428651/#post-65348819
Once again, it's proof positive that FDC is very beloved in Japan. There is the potential that Ayumi might be a potential sleeper pick of the pass

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

amageish

Smash Master
Well the ghost rumour is creepier than the ghost rumour from my old school

how does it compare to the rumours from your schools?
The Girl Who Stands Behind is definitely more specific that any rumour of ghosts from within any school building I have been in... But we definitely did have a lot of those rumours.

So the FDC remakes appear to be doing pretty well worldwide!

In NA, the games are currently #14 and #16 on the best-sellers eShop in NA.

While over in Japan, they’re #2 and #4 on the eShop, and the collector’s edition is currently sold out.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-19-2021-may-10-may-16.428651/#post-65348819
Debuting with 12,269 physical units sold in Japan is pretty solid! Not amazing by any means, but seems pretty good for a game in the genre that doesn't already have an amazingly-popular anime or what-have-you to boost sales.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Debuting with 12,269 physical units sold in Japan is pretty solid! Not amazing by any means, but seems pretty good for a game in the genre that doesn't already have an amazingly-popular anime or what-have-you to boost sales.
I wish we had more of an idea of the precise digital numbers. I would guess that more people got the games digitally than physically, but it's hard to put a number to that.

amageish

Smash Master
I wish we had more of an idea of the precise digital numbers. I would guess that more people got the games digitally than physically, but it's hard to put a number to that.
Yeah, Nintendo isn't very transparent about digital sales... I imagine we'd find out if it sold a million worldwide at the next financial meeting, but, uh, the odds of it selling a million to make it onto the overall list of sales is very very very low. Maybe if they put Ayumi in Smash and give it a sale, but it still feels unlikely.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Nintendo isn't very transparent about digital sales... I imagine we'd find out if it sold a million worldwide at the next financial meeting, but, uh, the odds of it selling a million to make it onto the overall list of sales is very very very low. Maybe if they put Ayumi in Smash and give it a sale, but it still feels unlikely.
The only way this series will gain major traction outside of Japan is if it gets a character in Smash. It's not exactly a genre people in the west are chomping at the bit to play.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even if we don't know what the exact sales figures are for a while, FDC's loyal fan following is showing that it hasn't gone away. And considering her scattered appearances throughout other Nintendo titles, it's possible Nintendo of Japan and their marketing team approached Sakurai about her considering that the decision to have the games release worldwide would have to be done very early on in production. Unlike an FE character or Pokemon, they already have the original games/the first remake of the Girl Who Stands Behind to draw inspiration from for a moveset and the visual designs for Ayumi are the only thing that would be "updated"

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The only way this series will gain major traction outside of Japan is if it gets a character in Smash. It's not exactly a genre people in the west are chomping at the bit to play.
This sort of game tends to do alright in Europe

The missing Heir seemed kinda obvious to me lol
Same

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
On that note, I actually wanted to encourage people here to tell their friends about the game. Especially if you know anyone who likes Phoenix Wright, try to encourage your friends to give it a try. I've personally convinced one of my friends who isn't that big of a gamer to look into them, since she enjoys Phoenix Wright and things like mystery novels. You'd be surprised the type of people that this game might appeal to if you tell them about it. :)

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
This sort of game tends to do alright in Europe

Same
The girl who stands behind mentions that Hero is looking for his parents and it was such an obvious chekovs gun that i kept it in mind going into missing heir.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If there aren't any spirit events that occur in the next two weeks (most often, there is one spirit event one week, then a tournament event the next), it could be a sign.
Protagonist and Utsugi getting new spirits in said event, calling it.

amageish

Smash Master
Spirits would be much better then nothing! We'll see if it happens... If it doesn't happen, then that could be seen as a boon for Ayumi's chances, though some games (especially Nintendo IPs developed out-of-house) just don't get spirits for unknown reasons.

Okay but Spirit Board events are fun and we've only had like one since 2020 I miss them man 😭
We've been pretty okay with them lately though! We got Hyrule Warriors, Bravely Default 2, Monster Hunter Rise, and Bowser's Fury in 2021 (plus the Ghost n' Goblins and Persona 5 Strikers spirit rewards) all in 2021 thus far.

It's really weird it seems like spirit events with new spirits are largely contained to Q1/2 of the year? May-December 2020 just had Octopath and Paper Mario, when Jan-May 2020 had seven. Now it's back to spring and they're coming back... Idk if this is just a quirk of development or what, as it's not like there aren't things to promote in the Fall.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Spirits would be much better then nothing! We'll see if it happens... If it doesn't happen, then that could be seen as a boon for Ayumi's chances, though some games (especially Nintendo IPs developed out-of-house) just don't get spirits for unknown reasons.

We've been pretty okay with them lately though! We got Hyrule Warriors, Bravely Default 2, Monster Hunter Rise, and Bowser's Fury in 2021 (plus the Ghost n' Goblins and Persona 5 Strikers spirit rewards) all in 2021 thus far.
just about every major switch game got one

amageish

Smash Master
just about every major switch game got one
They haven't been super consistent. They hit a lot of the main first-parties, but still skipped stuff like Super Mario Maker 2 and Luigi's Mansion 3. We got Peachette for New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, but most ports haven't gotten them, with stuff like Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore, and Pikmin 3 Deluxe all missing out. Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity got one, but other concept crossovers like Cadence of Hyrule and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon didn't.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Oh wow Hyrule Warriors and Bravely Default really don't feel like they happened that recently huh. Well I blame the pandemic time dilation again.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I think an event’s possible, but I also think that a Character is just as likely. We’re just going to have to wait and see. Remember, Three Houses didn’t get an Event and it got a character. So if we don’t get an event within the next month, I will take that as a HUGE Point in Ayumi’s Favor alongside the current argument I have for Ayumi being a very likely character for Smash Ultimate.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Well the ghost rumour is creepier than the ghost rumour from my old school

how does it compare to the rumours from your schools?
Not at my school. But at my current job. I work at a building that is well over 100 years old. Such old buildings tend to be prone to ghost stories. There was even a 17 year old kid who died there in 1926. I know several people who claim to have witnessed strange things. I myself have not despite working there for 11 years, 7 of which was during the evening shift.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
My ideas for an Ayumi Tachibana challenger pack:

Fighter: Ayumi Tachibana

The default look is her Missing Heir 2021 outfit, with the school uniform getting two alts. Personally, I think the Missing Heir outfit looks great and feels more unique than a school uniform tbh. Both outfits get fighter spirits, though. Other colors could reference other characters, such as an orange dress as a nod to Azusa Ayashiro, or a rose-colored dress to reference Ms. Hayama.

Stage: Ushimitsu High School
A walkoff on the left and on the right a three-story school building. You can see some teachers in the building during the day, but after the sun sets you may see something else...

Featured music:
bold indicates a new arrangement, if not bold assume it's from the Switch

Famicom Detective Club Medley
Utsugi Detective Agency
Investigation
Ending (The Missing Heir)
Title (The Girl Who Stands Behind)

Scramble
Interviews
Police Station
Madness

Classic Mode route:
I was going to say characters that originated on the Famicom, but that may be too similar to Pac-Man's. Maybe something where you "investigate"seven other fighters and eliminate one each round until the final suspect (Bowser or Ganondorf) is left, and they're the boss of the route? Otherwise, a "Back to the 80's" route where only characters introduced in the 1980's are fought:

Round 1: :ultgnw::ultpacman::ultmario::ultdk: on 75m
Round 2: :ultrob::ultduckhunt::ultlittlemac::ulticeclimbers: on Duck Hunt
Round 3: :ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser: on Mushroom Kingdom
Round 4: :ultsamus::ultridley::ultpit::ultpalutena:on Skyworld
Round 5: :ultlink::ultzelda::ultsimon:Ayumi on Temple
Round 6: :ultsnake::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken: on Suzaku Castle
BOSS: Dracula

Spirit Board:
I mostly made spirits for characters that you meet very early on and could have easy to make battles, to avoid spoilers. I saw the art book and I'm unsure if the 4-star spirit has actual artwork they could use that's isolated but who knows. I have ideas for some, some are incomplete lol

Protagonist (Famicom Detective Club)(***) (Famicom Detective Club Medley plays)
Shunsuke Utsugi (***) (Vs. Robin on Fourside, Utsugi Detective Agency plays)
Zenzou Tanabe (*) (Vs. Luigi on a foggy Luigi's Mansion, Investigation plays)
Amachi (**) (Fight on Tomodachi Life Omega, coffee food item spawns very frequently, Investigation plays)
Dr. Kumada (**) (Vs. Dr. Mario, Investigation plays)
Mr. Komada (**) (Vs. Mii Brawler on Ushimitsu High School, Vince AT spawns, Interviews plays)
Ms. Hayama (*) (Vs. Daisy on Ushimitsu High School, Timed stamina battle where the enemy avoids combat, Scramble plays)
The Girl Who Stands Behind (****) (Vs. Ayumi on Ushimitsu High School, The enemy is invisible and has a sudden FS, Madness plays)

That's all I've got for now, though

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
What if they only include Ayumi's existing spirit as part of a Spirit event? Would that count as deconfirmation or would there have to be New Spirits with the New FDC artwork?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
What if they only include Ayumi's existing spirit as part of a Spirit event? Would that count as deconfirmation or would there have to be New Spirits with the New FDC artwork?
I mean, what would the spirit event be? If they do a spirit event themed around, like, characters who wear skirts and Ayumi is one of those characters, then I guess it would probably be fine. If they said "Hey, we're putting Ayumi's spirit in the bonus corner of the Spirit Board all weekend to promote the FDC remakes," then that feels pretty deconfirmation-y to me.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They haven't been super consistent. They hit a lot of the main first-parties, but still skipped stuff like Super Mario Maker 2 and Luigi's Mansion 3. We got Peachette for New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, but most ports haven't gotten them, with stuff like Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore, and Pikmin 3 Deluxe all missing out. Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity got one, but other concept crossovers like Cadence of Hyrule and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon didn't.
i meant to say excluding ports

Not at my school. But at my current job. I work at a building that is well over 100 years old. Such old buildings tend to be prone to ghost stories. There was even a 17 year old kid who died there in 1926. I know several people who claim to have witnessed strange things. I myself have not despite working there for 11 years, 7 of which was during the evening shift.
now thats eerie

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I mean, what would the spirit event be? If they do a spirit event themed around, like, characters who wear skirts and Ayumi is one of those characters, then I guess it would probably be fine. If they said "Hey, we're putting Ayumi's spirit in the bonus corner of the Spirit Board all weekend to promote the FDC remakes," then that feels pretty deconfirmation-y to me.
I feel the event would have to be based around the series personally, but that’s just me.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
and finished both now just in time cause miitopia arrived the credits theme remix sounded great, still think itd be a great theme for a reveal trailer

this one was kinda sad. although that personality thing at the end seemed random

Top Bottom