• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR Online Rating Project

clubbadubba

Smash Master
About rating my league's play, I just asked everyone in the league if they would be okay with having the results rated. I think if it is unanimous then the results should count. The idea that people who don't want to be rated just won't have there games counted has been thrown out there, but I don't know about that one so much. Anyway I don't see any reason why if all players agree the results can't retroactively be used, do you?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
No, I don't want my matches to count sorry.

It's not really fair that half way through an event someone tells you your matches will be rated. The rating system should only count when the event notifies everyone beforehand.

If I do this whole rating system I'll play my hardest, as in whatever matchup gives me the best chance to win and I'm not doing that in the ssbl. So don't include my matches please.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
clubba, I agree that results can be retroactively rated if all participants agree. However, the league won't be rated since we already have a participant who opposes it.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
@Nintendude, Just saw this thread in the melee section about swiss style seeding, worth a read.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=307819

I think Winnar said he is writing some excel software for it. Might be interesting if the next event for the ratings uses this style. There are definitely cons for it for online play because an entire round of sets must be played before the next can start, but it also ends up giving more close sets. Setting hard deadlines on matches would be necessary to speed things along (it works pretty well in my league). You could use the style to seed a tourney or as the tourney itself. Thought it was a cool idea and just wanted to let you know about it. Talk to Winnar for more info if your interested I suppose.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
This took a little longer than anticipated to get off the ground but the first SBR tourney has concluded and the ratings have been processed. They are viewable in the first post. Again, all TOs are encouraged to submit their tournaments for rating.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
would you accept a tio file for an real-life doubles elim tournament?

had about 16 entrants iirc, not all would care to be ranked

i just want to be above dean in some sort of ranking, mainly for funsies

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Right now this is only for online play, since online ratings and console ratings should not be mixed. If a console ratings database ever gets underway I can retroactively use the results from your tournament.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
yeah, that was what i was wondering about

doubt console play will ever be meshed with this quite as well as online play will

i might host an private online tournament sometime in the near future - that'd be fine to submit, right? (you can trust me to use the ruleset i helped write, correct?)

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Okay so I'm about to make another season of the Super Smash Brothers League (SSBL), and I want this season to be rated. I can meet all the requirements except the seeding one, because it isn't a tournament. I suppose I could use the rankings to make my divisions "balanced" based on the ratings, would that suffice?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Tryin my very best to give this rating thing life. Gonna start doing small 2 hour tournaments to ensure that they finish. Here is the first one that is scheduled for this Friday. I'll seed according to current ratings. All good to be rated?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Nintendude, I hosted a 4 person round robin tonight, gonna email you the results in tio format so be on the lookout.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
If anyone hasn't seen the ssbpd yet, check it out! My vision for the future of ratings in Smash is coming to life. Melee is the current focus as development continues but once the project is completed, I'll be pushing for the SSB64 online extension. When that eventually happens, all rated tournaments will be uploaded to the new system and ratings will update automatically.

fMaster

Smash Cadet
I have a better method of ranking the users. I simply need access to all recorded games (ie winning user, winning character, losing user, losing character, and level). I only want data for matches that were played and won (no forfeits/missed games). The ranking system I propose should be a player's overall statistics with all characters and not an average of total games played. Anyone interested in the math of calculating the ranks, please feel free to message me directly! Looking forward to help analyzed the data!

fMaster

Smash Cadet
Also, I am sponsoring an SSB 64 tournament in Normal, Il on April 13th and was wondering if I could make the tournament officially rated?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
bumping because this could be useful.

whatever happened to the ssbpd nintendude?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Well, the main programmer kind of decided to run away with the project and just disappear altogether. Then we had another programmer who was working on smashboards integration, but then smashboards was bought out by AZ and it's still in a skeleton state making it hard for us to actually progress on that. The original SSBPD programmer came back to release the source code though so maybe that'll revitalize things.

Shadowfeast

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5343-9133-0920
Hey all,

I'm a noob to SmashBoards, but a longtime 64 Smasher. I'd like to get more involved on here, and play some online matches. Could anyone give me some advice to get started. I have a newer iMac, and I probably wouldn't have any trouble running an N64 emulator...but will I be able to find a USB extension for my N64 controller that works on Mac?

Thanks,
Shadowfeast

Top Bottom