• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Theater - King Dedede Video Thread

Reverbo

Smash Rookie
I haven't watched the videos, but I've found FF nair to be a bit...bad.

It doesn't have enough pushback to stop a shield grab from a grounded opponent, so I've found opponents with good reactions can punish it almost every time. It's also not a disjointed hitbox, so it can be very dangerous and tricky to go for it against an aerial opponent.

I've found DDD's only real option when he's above the opponent to be "get away from the opponent". If you can get far enough away, drop a safe-ish up gordo and prepare to shield it if the opponent knocks it back at you.

Occasionally the opponent will mess up chasing you in the air, at which point I wholly endorse punishing them with a nair( just never against yoshi, it's nearly impossible to thread that needle against uair spam. Best to just try and get to the ground )
This is true, it is punishable, though I still think it is a good option when you mix it up. Another option you can use while falling is neutral b (inhale). It's great for catching opponents who like to charge at you to punish your landing, and it does a decent 10 percent which is never bad. You can even look for fair/bair out of it depending on how they react.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
I'd honestly have more to say to this Megaman. :V

Anyway you did well :

-Pretty good usage of midrange/midair Gordos to minimize punishes, although I feel he could've reflected a lot of them. I'd be carfeul with that.

-You roll a lot. You roll to simply move, when you could just walk. This will most definitely get you punished hard if you keep this habit. You also DTilt to move around, which is creative, and can have its uses, but I feel you shouldn't use it profusely.

-Careful with landing aerials near Megaman. This one kept using USmash, which is decent when building %, but at kill %, he had a couple occasions where he could've used UTilt to KO you outright.
Landing with aerials is good as long as you can safely bait a reaction out of your opponent. Against Megaman, this can turn ugly really quick.

Also good use of sharking with UAirs.

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Thanks for all that feedback. I really appreciate it.

I didn't do too many of those, yeah. I manage to pull a few off sometimes, but I'm just a lot more used to the fair juggle, and I'm not really amazing at getting the second jump and then flipping my joypad to the right so fast. Tears of the 3DS.
But I'm working on it.

Honestly, I had no idea about that! I've been working on incorporating them into my game more, and although like @ K Karthage said, I find them to be decent usually. I either get badly punished, or I get a great Upair combo. It's definitely a gamble, but I like it.

Now for mo' matches!

VS. :4villager: ( WB 1st round... Only used in the first match, used Roy Koopa in the other one.)

( My LB 1st round match against a Charizard was not filmed, but I won 2-0.)
( My LB 2nd round match against a Fox and Cpt. Falcon WAS filmed, but I didn't play The Dedes.)

VS. :4marth: n' :4luigi: (LB 3rd round... The one match I don't really have much to say on...)

VS. :4tlink: (LB 4th round... Played Roy Koopa the first match and lost... but I played The Dedes the next two matches.)

VS. :4rob: (LB 5th round... Got really lucky in this match in my opinion. I really hate Battlefield.)

VS. :4gaw: (Semi-finals... My nerves were pretty fried in the first match, so I didn't do that well as I usually would...)

VS. :4villager: (Finals... Really looking forward to the rematch next week. @ captain clutch captain clutch plays a really great Villager.)

One thing I've noticed is that I use a few more Gordos than I should, and I dash attack and Up-B too often. Do you notice this too?

Any feedback is immensely appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

Karthage

Smash Cadet
I watched the first villager match of finals:
1: You fall on him and try to land dair. Never use dair outside of spike situations. Alongside fair, they both have the most horrendous, punishable landing lag. If you are going to fall on them, you have to use nair for it's low landing lag or try to "tipper" a bair to push them to far to punish.
2: You threw gordos at villager. This is a huge mistake that gave him a near free stock, as a pocketed gordo has absurd knockback and damage every time. It can only be used in very rare punish situations in this matchup.
3: Your edgeguard game is lacking. Most of the time you just sit there and charge smashes that any competent opponent will avoid at best, punish heavily at worst. DDD needs to run off the stage and chase people, try to land atleast 1 extra aerial hit every time your opponent is knocked of the stage. Your recovery is better than most, make use of it.
4: Dash attack is a hard read move, try to use it to catch rolls and wake ups, not against an opponent just standing there. I bet it's easily shielded + smash punished.
5: Don't use neutral B at longish range. It doesn't give you any advantages in the neutral game. I think it's mainly used to beat shield from the air.
6: Way, way to many fsmashes. It's just not a good move. You throw them out against things like opponents charging smash attacks. If you want to kill, go for down smash. If they aren't at down smash kill percent, you should go for moves to rack up more damage( combo/juggle starters like utilt or throw )
7: Try to get above villager, and lame out when he gets a tree. If you get above villager( not turnip range above, but high enough that you can't be hit by sling shot ) a lot of villagers tools become unsafe. If he gets a tree up, just stay away from it.

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I made a really bad habit of doing this even though it rarely ever pays off. I'm trying to replace it with that fastfall nair everyone seems to be going on about... Even though I recollect you don't really approve of that.
(I still wasn't really aware of the true use of the nair until after the most recent tournament, anyway. But you'll probably see more of it this week.)

Usually, I make use of our offstage shenanigans whenever I get a chance, I do. But Villager made me pretty scared to go offstage, what with his turnips and his slingshot (oh God the slingshot). Most times I pursued him offstage, my efforts were either fruitless or I was punished for it. His recovery is ridiculous, but since it's so easy to just wreck if Villager goes above the stage with it, and he has to ledgegrab to avoid punishing, I thought it more strategic to just wait at the edge and time a smash attack right.

Yeah... Like the dair, I made a really bad habit of just doing this all the time, too.

I'm going to assume you're talking about when I use it on the ground and not when I'm recovering...
I used it a little more than usual, as just to try and avoid the Lloid rockets. It got punished a bit but during the match I felt it was the best choice at the moment, although it clearly wasn't. I've been working on avoiding them with rolls and jabs and such.

That's a pretty hard thing to do... His Up-A's range is pretty nuts... Unless you mean offstage or in the air? Yeah, that's a good idea. I've been doing that a lot against the CPUs now, and it's a lot more useful than what I tried to do when responding to your third comment. Even though they're just CPUs, I have noticed the difference.

2 and 6 I don't really have a response to.

Thank you for all that feedback. It really is much appreciated, and I will try and put some of it in my game.

captain clutch

Smash Cadet
NNID
Clutch_Captain
3DS FC
4167-5308-5514
Yo JTC GGs again. Hopefully I can make it to another CIU tourney soon. I could tell you adapting more and more each game, but you did use the Gordos a little too much. And yeah the tree's hitboxes are ridiculous

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I made a really bad habit of doing this even though it rarely ever pays off. I'm trying to replace it with that fastfall nair everyone seems to be going on about... Even though I recollect you don't really approve of that.
(I still wasn't really aware of the true use of the nair until after the most recent tournament, anyway. But you'll probably see more of it this week.)
Fast fall nair is fine if you don't get predictable with it.
Don't always use it to get back down to the ground. But don't never use it. It has it's uses, but, really, if you're opponent is a step ahead of you, you'll get shielded and now you're in an even worse position.
Just don't fall back on it when you can't think of something else. It's not a safety net.

Last edited:

Substitute

Smash Apprentice
I'd honestly have more to say to this Megaman. :V

Anyway you did well :

-Pretty good usage of midrange/midair Gordos to minimize punishes, although I feel he could've reflected a lot of them. I'd be carfeul with that.

-You roll a lot. You roll to simply move, when you could just walk. This will most definitely get you punished hard if you keep this habit. You also DTilt to move around, which is creative, and can have its uses, but I feel you shouldn't use it profusely.

-Careful with landing aerials near Megaman. This one kept using USmash, which is decent when building %, but at kill %, he had a couple occasions where he could've used UTilt to KO you outright.
Landing with aerials is good as long as you can safely bait a reaction out of your opponent. Against Megaman, this can turn ugly really quick.

Also good use of sharking with UAirs.
Thanks for the feedback Jabe! I'll try and be more conscious on my excessive rolling.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Above villager is a bad idea.

I mean, as a villager main, in the few DDD matchups I had, I did worst at long range. So hard to pressure from across the map.

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Hope you enjoy my DeDeDe! all the way from Tokyo!
I like your style. :4falcon:
You've got the general philosophy; that's good! Patience is key!

Some big things I noticed, though.
Too much rolling. There was a point where you just started rolling across the stage with little purpose. It basically surrendered stage control to your opponent.
Course, I don't really blame you since your opponent didn't seem to know how to punish rolling. :4dedede: But, still, it's best not to give into the habit. Don't even do it against players it actually works against.

You also didn't really use upward-angled Gordo. That's my personal favorite of the three.
On the ledge is offers great pressure. Especially since this Pikachu recovered straight onto the stage a lot. It could've been useful to force him into a really good (for you) situation.

And, again, patience is key! You said it yourself.
Remember to not force your landings with dair or nair. Play it cool and work your way down at a reasonable pace. Head for the ledge if you must. Especially dair. It's really not that good a landing option.

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
I like your style. :4falcon:
You've got the general philosophy; that's good! Patience is key!

Some big things I noticed, though.
Too much rolling. There was a point where you just started rolling across the stage with little purpose. It basically surrendered stage control to your opponent.
Course, I don't really blame you since your opponent didn't seem to know how to punish rolling. :4dedede: But, still, it's best not to give into the habit. Don't even do it against players it actually works against.

You also didn't really use upward-angled Gordo. That's my personal favorite of the three.
On the ledge is offers great pressure. Especially since this Pikachu recovered straight onto the stage a lot. It could've been useful to force him into a really good (for you) situation.

And, again, patience is key! You said it yourself.
Remember to not force your landings with dair or nair. Play it cool and work your way down at a reasonable pace. Head for the ledge if you must. Especially dair. It's really not that good a landing option.
Shrooby, thanks a lot for the pointers man! It's hard sometimes to be consciously aware of the habits while in game, so its good to have another pair of fresh eyes to glance over things.

Definitely have developed that bad habit of rolling. Due to playing online too much lol. There's a Tokyo tournament coming up, so I'll need to mentally prepare for that. And to use the upward Gordo, I assume you press Up on the stick while throwing one out?

I play dedede a lot like Zangief in SF. Just wait until your opponent makes a mistake then body slam em lol.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Shrooby, thanks a lot for the pointers man! It's hard sometimes to be consciously aware of the habits while in game, so its good to have another pair of fresh eyes to glance over things.

Definitely have developed that bad habit of rolling. Due to playing online too much lol. There's a Tokyo tournament coming up, so I'll need to mentally prepare for that. And to use the upward Gordo, I assume you press Up on the stick while throwing one out?

I play dedede a lot like Zangief in SF. Just wait until your opponent makes a mistake then body slam em lol.
No problem!

And, yup, that's exactly right about the Gordo! The trejectory makes it my favorite. One thing I like doing is throing it out and then approaching as it moves. Having a bouncing hitbox and Dedede moving towards can limit your opponent's options a lot depending on the character. You can also throw it right on the ledge so that the Gordo will bounce and then bound off the stage. So then it falls straight down like Villager's f-smash. Good for catching opponents who recover low.
And good luck in your tourney!

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet

Another video from yours truly. Working to be best dedede in Tokyo right now. Not sure if this is new tech or not, but I was able to grab my own Gordo after it was countered back to me, and it did more damage.

Zygmunch

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zygmunch
3DS FC
2020-0457-0856
Not sure if this is new tech or not, but I was able to grab my own Gordo after it was countered back to me, and it did more damage.
I do this every once in a while. Honestly it's by accident, but I always feel awesome when it works :4dedede:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skClkPNHU7Y
Pls halp. I can beat most people in my region but for the life of me I can't seem to beat this guy :(
You seemed to not take advantage of punishes as much as you could. Like, when you could've gone for grabs, you went for something else like f-tilt, jab or d-tilt.

Gordo offstage is fine, but you seemed to be your go-to for gimping. Just mix-up your off-stage play as much as you can 'cause gimping is probably how we'll want to be KOing Diddy. You'll have to be mindful of side-B, but try going for some fairs for gimping.
Take more advantage of when your opponent is on the ledge. Up-angled Gordo at the ledge is one of the my favorites.~
If they roll, which is one of the few things they can do to avoid Gordo, then we've got that covered with f-tilt or d-smash.

Last edited:

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Hey, thanks for replying.
You seemed to not take advantage of punishes as much as you could. Like, when you could've gone for grabs, you went for something else like f-tilt, jab or d-tilt.
Any specific instances in mind?

Gordo offstage is fine, but you seemed to be your go-to for gimping. Just mix-up your off-stage play as much as you can 'cause gimping is probably how we'll want to be KOing Diddy. You'll have to be mindful of side-B, but try going for some fairs for gimping.
Probably a bad habit I've gotten into from playing Ganondorf's too much - lobbing a Gordo and following up with fair tends to work against them :teeth: I'll definitely keep it in mind. TBH other Diddys in my state tend to use their double jump + side-B to go over me as soon as I go off-stage which is actually quite hard to punish with our mobility.
Take more advantage of when your opponent is on the ledge. Up-angled Gordo at the ledge is one of the my favorites.~
If they roll, which is one of the few things they can do to avoid Gordo, then we've got that covered with f-tilt or d-smash.
I'm probably being too mindful of Diddy's fair (which is ridiculously broken).

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Any specific instances in mind?
Yup!
12:15
And 12:28, for examples.
Granted, I can understand if that was potentially nerves kicking in since it was your last stock of the tourney.

Hey, thanks for replying.
Probably a bad habit I've gotten into from playing Ganondorf's too much - lobbing a Gordo and following up with fair tends to work against them :teeth: I'll definitely keep it in mind. TBH other Diddys in my state tend to use their double jump + side-B to go over me as soon as I go off-stage which is actually quite hard to punish with our mobility.
If they do that, a well-placed upair should get 'em assuming they aren't going absurdly high.
Does upair beat the Monkey Flip kick?

I'm probably being too mindful of Diddy's fair (which is ridiculously broken).
I feel as though that would be a bit of an awkward position for Diddy since, to avoid trading with Gordo, the fair would have to be well-spaced. Meaning he'd have to go slightly backwards off-stage instead of using fair onto the stage. Could be talking out of my arse though.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Sorry for late reply, I've been OoS for a few days :/
Yup!
12:15
And 12:28, for examples.
Granted, I can understand if that was potentially nerves kicking in since it was your last stock of the tourney.
Ah yes, I can definitely see what you're talking about. Ordinarily I'd be worried about shield pushback from his fsmash but since he was spacing like an idiot I definitely could have gotten a grab.

If they do that, a well-placed upair should get 'em assuming they aren't going absurdly high.
Does upair beat the Monkey Flip kick?
I think uair is transcendent so it should beat any move with proper spacing. The main problem is that Diddy has great mobility when he's using side-B which makes catching him more or less a guessing game.

I feel as though that would be a bit of an awkward position for Diddy since, to avoid trading with Gordo, the fair would have to be well-spaced. Meaning he'd have to go slightly backwards off-stage instead of using fair onto the stage. Could be talking out of my arse though.
It depends on the spacing I guess. If you're too close he could just fair you (and fair the gordo into you at the same time; don't you love it when that happens?) If you're too far away then he just has ample time to do whatever he wants.

I guess I just need to practice the match-up more. It's not like there's a lack of Diddy Kong players out there.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
Not a Dedede main. But a friend mains him and got recorded on a tournament match. Leaving it here for you guys and your video archive, surely you know better than me if it's worthy. From my end he did a very good job bringing it back.

Knche :4luigi::4dedede: vs Fulanito :4sheik:
http://youtu.be/Ufj5LYSx0JY

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Not a Dedede main. But a friend mains him and got recorded on a tournament match. Leaving it here for you guys and your video archive, surely you know better than me if it's worthy. From my end he did a very good job bringing it back.

Knche :4luigi::4dedede: vs Fulanito :4sheik:
http://youtu.be/Ufj5LYSx0JY
Not bad, looks about where I was a couple months ago. I really like his use of up tilted gordo as an edge trap, and it seems he is able to make the right reads in the right situation (those back airs on that Zelda, I don't think that kind of abuse is appropriate to post on these forums lol). I would say he needs to work on his fast fall game and movement a little bit, and I'd like to see more jabs and f-tilts from him and less aerial fishing. That Sheik didn't know how to handle it, but Sheiks in the future will.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
(Sorry if this have been posted already)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sithdTac4Bg

Don't know if its really legit but it could be interesting
If by legit you mean does it actually work, my answer is no. Based on the damage ratio marker on the top of the screen, he's testing this out in training mode. Human opponents can easily tech away or shield in between hits. I hate clickbait videos. I really do.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
It's a reliable way of racking up 30-40% on people, but you can smash DI out of it. You can't shield or tech (unless you're a fast faller at low %).

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
It's a reliable way of racking up 30-40% on people, but you can smash DI out of it. You can't shield or tech (unless you're a fast faller at low %).
Yes you can. You literally see Mario touch the ground multiple times. The only reason this works is because he's fighting brainless AI. Mario can also escape with his up special. Like you said, this can be used to rack up about 30%, but not much else.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Yeah, but Mario touching the ground is in a state of landing lag. If you've seen the Link jab infinite it's the same thing, and that one is essentially proven true.

I would bet Mario mashing nair would be a more effective option than anything though.

Cook

Smash Master
Last edited:

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
My vid of the day, an old highlight vs a friend. Use that command grab friends!

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Just a reminder to everyone to please post links to videos and not embed them.
Thanks~

A lot of those close range gordos were supposed to be inhales, some other input errors, and I know I got way too impatient against Olimar. Any other advice?
I thought you played pretty well overall. Maybe go for more Gordos at the ledge and apply more off-stage pressure in general.
Biggest thing I noticed was dair... It's not a good move. Especially on-stage. You weren't punished for it as much as you should've been, really.
The other thing is up-airs while under the ledge. It's a great tool and mix-up, don't get me wrong, but I think you went for it a bit too often. It's really unsafe if your opponent is able to see it coming 'cause they can punish your lack of invincibility on the ledge. Which is what Freebeast and M2K both did.

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
Hey all. I usually don't post to these forums very much, but I've hit a wall with my d3. As far as I know there aren't many high ranking d3s out there, but any help would be appreciated. Here are some of my matches:

S@X - Blaze (Kirby) Vs. Jdawg (DeDeDe) SSB4 Bracket - Smash 4: http://youtu.be/OEwudYSnPsg

S@X - VGBC | Logic (Diddy Kong) Vs. Jdawg (DeDeDe, Sheik) SSB4 Winners Q...: http://youtu.be/mjc-swSq0Mc

I have a few more matches coming up in the future, thanks for your help!

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Top Bottom