• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The REAL reason why the PAL-version was delayed

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
If that is the reason it is an extremely depressing one. Sigh. Less lag is a bonus I guess but not one that makes up for the delay. All hopes I had for a release in the near future has dissapeared.

I know nothing about game designing, so can someone explain why translating into four languages takes up so much space?

Major lols if they ship the version with French and Spanish to Germany and Italy lol.

& Tofu Beast that is the 100th post I've seen with you asking if Shippou is PAL.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
First of all, stop bashing Germany! Germany is great! And the language is not stupid. Tell me one Language in which you can just sum up 10 words to create one spectacular new word to describe things you have no clues about, what it is really called? (Example: Luftbläschenknallfolie) What's wrong with you. At least we have manners (well of course complete Europe has manners) I look at you USA... And to be honest I even know that people from Germany CANNOT drive to USA by train... -.- This hurt the part of my brain where geography is saved when I heard it
I'm sometimes very ashamed of my family in Chicago...

But back to the topic^^
I pray to god that the german Version has french with it... I want my herbizarre and ronduedue
And no lag!!!! HAHAHAHA--> going mad... need sleep

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Let's not start racial fighting lol it's not all our faults we speak the languages we do.

& let's all agree my first language, Aramaic, is the best language on Earth lol

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Considering some words in other languages are seventeen times longer than some english words, I understand why there will be a need for multiple disks. If they change character voices like Ike's, (since they changed it from Japanese to English for us) that could take a bit longer. We have 5 playable pokemon that may need voice overs, certain space animals, and maybe Snake and Zero Suit Samus.

If they get improved online speed, I will be preeetty jealous. NINTENDO! Make a satellite or something so we can get better connectivitiy!!

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
if the characters get german/french voices, then it will only be pokemon trainer, jigglypuff, charizard, ivisaur and squirtle

in melee only jiggs got new voices

all other voices remained english

i can't even remember if the subtitles of peppy slippy and falco/fox on corneria were german...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
First of all, stop bashing Germany! Germany is great! And the language is not stupid. Tell me one Language in which you can just sum up 10 words to create one spectacular new word to describe things you have no clues about, what it is really called? (Example: Luftbläschenknallfolie) What's wrong with you. At least we have manners (well of course complete Europe has manners) I look at you USA... And to be honest I even know that people from Germany CANNOT drive to USA by train... -.- This hurt the part of my brain where geography is saved when I heard it
I'm sometimes very ashamed of my family in Chicago...
Did you totally miss the fact that that post was in jest? Also, no one's bashed Germany (the country) or called the language stupid. We said it's ugly (and one of "us" is German).

Luigi player

Smash Master
Please stop bashing languages guys >_>
German really sucks though, at least at school. English is much easier and more fun, but I still like German because it's my first language and everyone here speaks it, and it's the language I grew up with... it hurts a little if people always say it sucks so much and is useless or whatever.

Just think about how it would be for you if someone bashes your language before you say something bad about others.

So basically, Nintendo's giving us even moreicentive to hate the Germans (ugly language), French (patriotic SOBs who think French is the most important language in the world), Spanish (umm... er... originator of the Latina maid stereotype) and Italians (Silvio Belusconi, what's not to hate?)?

And god**** that forum! I haven't been able to log in for months. Every time, it says "You're logged in" but then once the next page loads, I'm magically logged out.
lol, the forum thing happened to me too some weeks ago, but only for three days I think.
I tried to create a new account and then I had the same problem with it. I even tried to contact the admins and such but it always said that it doesn't work -_- then I turned off the box for "remember me" at both accounts and close the ie window (laptop was on for some days at that time >_>) and then it worked ^^

Btw, is there any clue on when it might come out in Europe?

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
I thought the lag was due to the crappy American servers that they're using.. not the game itself.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I say we just bring Latin back.
Have that as the main language all over the world.
No more language change issues with games anymore ;D

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Then what about us trilinguals (and quite possibly pentalingual since I can understand 5 languages).

If they're gonna fix glitches, I don't think so (short of a patch for NTSC). What if the glitch occurs in the NTSC-version but not on the PAL-version? Can someone say "crazy desynching"?

And no tripping.
Scrub.

Why would you want wave-flipping removed?!

It's the best tech IN Brawl. >:]

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
So basically, Nintendo's giving us even moreicentive to hate the Germans (ugly language), French (patriotic SOBs who think French is the most important language in the world), Spanish (umm... er... originator of the Latina maid stereotype) and Italians (Silvio Belusconi, what's not to hate?)?

And god**** that forum! I haven't been able to log in for months. Every time, it says "You're logged in" but then once the next page loads, I'm magically logged out.
If you fu*cking want to start that kind of debate get the **** out of here. Thats a lot of people you insulted in one post and talk like that about different language certainly doesn't have anything to do with this. Yes, you got me pissed about that.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
hey, I'm a competetive gamer who's top of the scene at ****loads of street fighter games and likes smash competetively but never posts here because of the bold police (yuna), and I approve of your post, SFJ. I swear the ammount of rage and patronization emitting from his posts is awful these days, and his sig too.

boooooooooold policeeee. ololz

don't worry, I'll not post here much again. Not here to troll. Its not worth that. I'm just passing by and likely won't reply to any posts to this one.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Less lag online would be awesome. Of course I would rather be playing the game already I guess. It is only fair they give those who have to wait so long some extra perks.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
Actually, in Europe, the recommended age for Melee was 3+. I don't think that's gonna change significantly for Brawl.
Um, excuse me. WHAT?!??

Im sat here holding my PAL version of Melee right now, and on the front cover it says 11+.

On the Nintendo UK website, for Brawl it states the age as 12+

You sir, are very wrong.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Um, excuse me. WHAT?!??

Im sat here holding my PAL version of Melee right now, and on the front cover it says 11+.

You sir, are very wrong.
Lol, I could easily confirm that at least in Sweden the game was rated 3+ with a picture on the game-box, but I don't have my camera at home right now. Yuna isn't lying.

Gill

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo will also fix the terrible lag that the Japanese and Americans had when playing online.
GODFORSAKEN RAGE.

If they don't ****ing patch it for us, I'm going to shoot somebody. WHATS THE POINT OF A WII UPDATE SYSTEM IF YOU DON'T USE IT?!

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
People, people. Don't blame the language, BLAME THE TROPHIES AND STICKERS.

If there weren't a bajillion trophies or stickers in the first place, there'd be little to no text at all in the game. Each trophy has a lot of text to describe the trophy or character, etc.

Trophies and stickers are neat and all, but I seriously would have preferred if they WORK ON THE GAME INSTEAD OF ADDING ONE MILLION DIFFERENT TROPHIES AND STICKERS.

What if they could have added 4-5 more characters if they cut back a little on the trophies.

From the time and effort it takes to create models for each of the 500ish trophies and add text descriptions to each of them, they could have added more characters or more stages or worked on the "actual" game longer.

Triforce_Chauzu

Smash Apprentice
But... Trophies pwnz... o.o

Stickers I don't see the point in though. I liked it when I saw Ashley from Another Code though. Aww, I just love that game. She's so sweet too.

ZäP

Smash Apprentice
Oh, once more some oddball reasons why brawl's delayed? It's delayed, and has no release date so far, I don't care anumore even if Sakurai himself said the real reason for delay, though I've been playing NTSC brawl couple of weeks at my friends place, but I'd still want PAL version of brawl.

About this somewhat funny language debate, let them translate the to their own language, though I've never really understanted the reason why in Germany, France, Spain and Italy they have to translate almost everything? Do note I meant no offence.

As long as they're not gonna translate it in Finnish(which knowing Nintendo will never happen), I'll be fine, it's just so horrible to listen when translated horribly wrong, which would eventually happen(it's the Pit's voice I don't know horrible it could be).

lismore

Smash Cadet
Well, I have no idea exactly how online lag is going to be 'minimised' for the PAL version, but if it actually happens and it makes a noticeable difference AND there's no patch released for the NTSC version I already imported (which doesn't also block the freeloader) *takes gasped breath* THEN I'd happily sell my NTSC copy and buy the PAL version, even if I had to unlock all the characters, stages, challenges, etc again because of the almost certainly incompatible save data from the different versions.
Question is, does all of this happening sound very likely? Hmmm...

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
Lol, I could easily confirm that at least in Sweden the game was rated 3+ with a picture on the game-box, but I don't have my camera at home right now. Yuna isn't lying.
Seriously? Thats weird. I wonder why it differentiates so much between Sweden and the UK?

I thought the age rating would be the same (or very nearly the same) all across Europe. 8 years is a big difference for two countries which, in terms of a global scale, are so close to eachother.

Opfer

Smash Cadet
On the box of the German version it says 3+ (PEGI) and 6 (USK).

RWB

Smash Ace
Actually, Melee's rating has shifted a lot in europe.

It was 3+ in the beginning then went 7+, then 11+, then back to 3+.

<_<

Electivired!

Smash Rookie
Seriously? Thats weird. I wonder why it differentiates so much between Sweden and the UK?

I thought the age rating would be the same (or very nearly the same) all across Europe. 8 years is a big difference for two countries which, in terms of a global scale, are so close to eachother.
I've got the Player's Choice version of Melee and it's 3+

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you fu*cking want to start that kind of debate get the **** out of here. Thats a lot of people you insulted in one post and talk like that about different language certainly doesn't have anything to do with this. Yes, you got me pissed about that.
Apparently people can't identify an obvious joke when they see one.

Incidentally, I can speak French and Spanish.

Um, excuse me. WHAT?!??

You sir, are very wrong.
Oh yeah, maybe the EU doesn't have a common single entity for determining age reccommendations (that or the recommendations fluctuate based on country). I'm sitting here holding my what appears to be a Nordic copy. The box is in English but the manual is in Danish and Swedish.

The front clearly says: 3+
Along with a link to www.pegi.info, which is apparently an organization called PAn European Game Information (so it should apply to more than just the Nordic countries).

I guess what qualifies for 3+ differs depending on country even when the rating is made by the same organization.

Actually, Melee's rating has shifted a lot in europe.

It was 3+ in the beginning then went 7+, then 11+, then back to 3+.

<_<
Ouh, that could explain it.

I've got the Player's Choice version of Melee and it's 3+
Same here. But the final rating is the most relevant. So Melee is 3+ in Europe :D.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
While I hate the fact that we (Australians) have to wait for languages we don't even speak (gah) at least we'll hopefully get the version of Smash with Pummeluff. Rondadoo, I'm eh with, was too high pitched.

ZäP

Smash Apprentice
They killed it in the US one, no telling what it could be like in other ones -_-
Yep, and I certaintly wouldn't want to find out. *shivers*

While I hate the fact that we (Australians) have to wait for languages we don't even speak (gah) at least we'll hopefully get the version of Smash with Pummeluff. Rondadoo, I'm eh with, was too high pitched.
Same here and most of every other PAL area country there is have to wait for vesions with languages they don't necescerely(sp?) need. Aside those specific countries I'd guess rest will get random amount of both versions, given that there are going to be to different version...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can't for the life of me understand why they just don't make a special version for those specific four countries and delay that one. The rest of Europe (and Oceania) can get on just fine without the extra languages. Why make two entire continents suffer just so 4 countries won't have to watch in envy as the rest of the world enjoys a game they're still waiting for?

It's their own **** fault for practically demanding 4 extra langauge options. Why piss off two continents when you can piss off only four countries?

Zek

Smash Ace
I don't believe for a second that Nintendo can fix the lag. Slight improvements, maybe.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Now that I come to think of it, how EASY wouldn't it be if we Europeans that don't need all the other languages could import a PAL-version from Australia if the game ever got released there first just because they virtually only speak English? Then we wouldn't have any problems with Freeloaders and old TV's and stuff.

I can't for the life of me understand why they just don't make a special version for those specific four countries and delay that one. The rest of Europe (and Oceania) can get on just fine without the extra languages. Why make two entire continents suffer just so 4 countries won't have to watch in envy as the rest of the world enjoys a game they're still waiting for?
That guy I quoted in the OP actually said something about why they couldn't do so a while ago. And guess what? It would be too expensive for Nintendo to do that. All they want in the end is to earn as much money as possible, just like any other company in the world.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I actually thing this is a lie. The game has been out online for a long time now and I remember that there is a version that actually fits on a 1 sided DVD. I can't imagine text taking up too much space as well as the sound (unless we get french versions of songs but I wonder if even that fills a dual layer disc). Worst thing though is that now instead of actually getting some kind of different languages us dutchies and so on don't get any benefit beside the lag :( ( no more rondoudou :(). And I seriously doubt they fix the lag to no lag at all. But I'm going to ask one of my teachers from the gamedesign school I study at if these languages can really take up that much space. Possibly the video's barely fit on the dvd but a lot of games contain a lot of cg movies so either it's bad compressing or there's something else. I hope I'm wrong though :p.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I actually thing this is a lie. The game has been out online for a long time now and I remember that there is a version that actually fits on a 1 sided DVD. I can't imagine text taking up too much space as well as the sound (unless we get french versions of songs but I wonder if even that fills a dual layer disc). Worst thing though is that now instead of actually getting some kind of different languages us dutchies and so on don't get any benefit beside the lag :( ( no more rondoudou :(). And I seriously doubt they fix the lag to no lag at all. But I'm going to ask one of my teachers from the gamedesign school I study at if these languages can really take up that much space. Possibly the video's barely fit on the dvd but a lot of games contain a lot of cg movies so either it's bad compressing or there's something else. I hope I'm wrong though :p.
The DVD-5 version lacked an entire layer of information (3+ gigs). Most of those were movies, though. Who's to say 300 megabytes on that 4.34 gig Single Layer version aren't made up of text that needs to be translated? 400 x 4 = 1,2 gig. The is 7.6 gigs or something. But it all together and the size surpasses that of a Dual Layer and therefore needs to be split up.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Well I still wonder. Crysis with it entire wordl generator fits on 1 dual layer as well as assasins creed. These games take up more space then you would expect brawl to take up but I may be mistaken. I'm asking some friends from school about this and they say it's highly unlikely brawl doesn't fit on a dual layer like this. And yes Crysis was in multiple languages. Also text can't take up that much space. Try making a word document of 100 pages full of text and pasting it 100 times. See what you get. I don't think you'll have a gig of information.

Dsparil

Smash Rookie
Why do they have to redub everything? I never complained about Marth and his Japanese voice.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
On the contrary, No voices are dubbed but the pokemons whoose name differ from country to country. I am sure Pit, Ike, Fox and all will have their english voices. So if you want to complain, the biggest dubwork is done from the transition japanese to english

the only changed text are the trophy descriptions and the menue

The only human character who will get a french/german voice will be Pokemon trainer

and marth in melee was japanese too in europe

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Pardon my ignorance, but i'm genuniely interested in the workings behind the PAL version having better lag than the NTSC version. I just really dont get how it works, anyone care to explain? I just figured it was something that Nintendo could improve universally over time :ohwell:

Edds

Smash Ace
well brawl's online is different from other online games. it isint live like mario kart as you see everything comming from you. but in brawl your just getting what everyone else receive from their end. which causes lagg. i think

Top Bottom