• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

People thought Square was cheap about handing out content? That's nothing; Tetris is currently owned by Henk Rogers, a man who has such a greedy stranglehold on the license that, for a time, only Ubisoft was allowed to publish new entries, and Puyo Puyo Tetris being exported was seen as nothing short of a goddamn miracle.

I bet that Nintendo deliberately waited until DLC to work out negotiations for those Tetrimino spirits, so that the asking price could be cheaper. At least the music's public domain outside of Tetris.
amageish amageish there you go thatll be why we never got a stage

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah that's Nintendo for you, good thing the Switch is region free so if there is a cheaper alternative elsewhere, then go for it I suppose. (unless you mind a couple different puzzles and dialogue lines I suppose, depending on what version you're going for)

Yeah we don't even have a Dr.Mario stage at that, Smash is kind of weird when it comes to puzzle games...
Yeah, it's the same price with import fees at least. The main thing is that indie games always end up more expensive on Switch versus Steam due to them handling exchange rates with American dollars differently, so I constantly have to decide if it's worth getting something on Switch if it costs 5-10 dollars more... I'm still unsure about Tangle Tower, which is a new indie game people have called Laytonesque.

Well, at least we have a Dr Mario character I suppose!

People thought Square was cheap about handing out content? That's nothing; Tetris is currently owned by Henk Rogers, a man who has such a greedy stranglehold on the license that, for a time, only Ubisoft was allowed to publish new entries, and Puyo Puyo Tetris being exported was seen as nothing short of a goddamn miracle.

I bet that Nintendo deliberately waited until DLC to work out negotiations for those Tetrimino spirits, so that the asking price could be cheaper. At least the music's public domain outside of Tetris.
Ahhhhhhh, valid. I just thought that his hold on the license was not consistently strong? The music all being public domain definitely does help and would explain the music getting in before any actual visual content.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

That's odd, I could have sworn that Nintendo has collabed with the Tetris guys for many years, such as the crossover with Dr.Mario on the SNES as well as Nintendo character cameo's on the NES and DS games I think. Then there is Tetris 99 of course.

I suppose they might have used the latter as a way to get the IP into Smash in a more cost efficient manner, especially for DLC and the spirits promoting that.

Yeah, it's the same price with import fees at least. The main thing is that indie games always end up more expensive on Switch versus Steam due to them handling exchange rates with American dollars differently, so I constantly have to decide if it's worth getting something on Switch if it costs 5-10 dollars more... I'm still unsure about Tangle Tower, which is a new indie game people have called Laytonesque.

Well, at least we have a Dr Mario character I suppose!
Just looked up Tangle Tower, heh reminds me of Detective Grimoire, is it a sequel to that? I believe that one was also inspired by the Layton and Ace Attorney series as well as had a reference or two towards them too.

Pretty cool that one of SFB's games (Snipperclips) managed to get a spirit in Smash as well as a new remix for it too.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
lets just be glad that level-5 are usually on board with a crossover
Yeah its a good thing their more like Capcom when it comes to crossovers and less like certain other third party companies or something I guess....

Anyway, seems like where back in the dark as far as fighter 5 goes.
Layton would make such a great choice for fighter 5 y'know. Level-5?

Would also bring things full circle as far as this fighters pass goes with Persona and their top hat icon since Layton would most likely use his signature top hat seal as his series icon too.

I guess we can only dream for now eh?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah its a good thing their more like Capcom when it comes to crossovers and less like certain other third party companies or something I guess....

Would also bring things full circle as far as this fighters pass goes with Persona and their top hat icon since Layton would most likely use his signature top hat seal as his series icon too.

I guess we can only dream for now eh?
ill just take a character i like at this point

well one out of four isnt bad i guess but im bit worried were gonna end up with someone dull

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
ill just take a character i like at this point

well one out of four isnt bad i guess but im bit worried were gonna end up with someone dull
Consider yourself blessed buddy.

All I really want is Layton and Phoenix so I can finally close my book on Smash as well...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

Yeah, I liked the daily trend of leaks coming out and instantly being debunked we had going for a few days...

If Layton gets in as fighter 5, then we do need a Level-5 joke somewhere in the promotional material for sure.

True about the top hat, I suppose, and hey: Layton has fought Phantom Thieves before...

In all seriousness, my vague hope is for something surprising.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, I liked the daily trend of leaks coming out and instantly being debunked we had going for a few days...

If Layton gets in as fighter 5, then we do need a Level-5 joke somewhere in the promotional material for sure.

True about the top hat, I suppose, and hey: Layton has fought Phantom Thieves before...

In all seriousness, my vague hope is for something surprising.
I guess that means where getting closer to the next reveal if leak season is starting up again (either that or the community is just that bored again) Reminds me of the Tracer, Ryu and SNK leak thing that happened back to back prior to Terry's reveal.

Certainly, or at least have him fight some Level 5 CPU's...

Oh that's right, the Prof has dealt with Phantom Thieves before didn't he? A shame it was never released overseas. I think it was also discontinued as well. I hope someone out there still preserved the game's files somewhere...

Same, we probably will be getting something surprising again though as like I said, where back in the dark again as far as the next character goes...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Consider yourself blessed buddy.

All I really want is Layton and Phoenix so I can finally close my book on Smash as well...
well i suppose i should i have gotten my second most wanted newcomer for the last couple games

are these ones, whats the polite way of putting it, like the other ones?

amageish

Smash Master
I guess that means where getting closer to the next reveal if leak season is starting up again (either that or the community is just that bored again) Reminds me of the Tracer, Ryu and SNK leak thing that happened back to back prior to Terry's reveal.
That is very fair! The Ryu leak even is getting a constant stream of reprises right now... We haven't had anything as bad as when Tracer became the #1 trending topic on Twitter due to a 4chan post that didn't even mention her by name though!

Certainly, or at least have him fight some Level 5 CPU's...
That feels like a joke fit for one of Sakurai's showcases. He sets a CPU to Level 5 and comments that "You don't have to do this all the time, but it seems right."

Oh that's right, the Prof has dealt with Phantom Thieves before didn't he? A shame it was never released overseas. I think it was also discontinued as well. I hope someone out there still preserved the game's files somewhere...
Yeah, definitely... The original iOS games hopefully aren't lost forever, as I'd like to see what they were like at some point.

Same, we probably will be getting something surprising again though as like I said, where back in the dark again as far as the next character goes...
True! Now, watch as Nintendo accidentally leaks it themselves via YouTube thumbnail or something else stupid...

well i suppose i should i have gotten my second most wanted newcomer for the last couple games
Nice! Who was that?

are these ones, whats the polite way of putting it, like the other ones?
I don't know what you mean by this? If you mean like the other Layton smartphone games, yes it was Japan-only and we don't know much about it. If you mean are the thieves like the ones from Persona 5, then I assume they are not fighting societial norms by summoning figures from classical literature, no. That seems a bit out-there by Layton standards haha.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So a reoccurring thing I’m finding with Layton fans online is that they would love the idea of Layton in smash a lot of them don’t feel confident in his chances so they don’t really feel like supporting him. I guess it doesn’t affect who gets picked for DLC at the end of the day, but it would feel nice to rally other Layton fans if we can.

Also do y’all know of other Professor Layton communities or sub-communities, besides here on Smashboards? There is a small subreddit for the series, and I occasionally have chatted with other Layton fans on YouTube videos comment sections, but do you know of anyy other sites were people might talk about Layton?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So a reoccurring thing I’m finding with Layton fans online is that they would love the idea of Layton in smash a lot of them don’t feel confident in his chances so they don’t really feel like supporting him. I guess it doesn’t affect who gets picked for DLC at the end of the day, but it would feel nice to rally other Layton fans if we can.

Also do y’all know of other Professor Layton communities or sub-communities, besides here on Smashboards? There is a small subreddit for the series, and I occasionally have chatted with other Layton fans on YouTube videos comment sections, but do you know of anyy other sites were people might talk about Layton?
No clue, but that's a really good idea. Grow the active community, become a force to be reckoned with.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nice! Who was that?

I don't know what you mean by this? If you mean like the other Layton smartphone games, yes it was Japan-only and we don't know much about it. If you mean are the thieves like the ones from Persona 5, then I assume they are not fighting societial norms by summoning figures from classical literature, no. That seems a bit out-there by Layton standards haha.
villager for smash 4 and inklings this time around, if this keeps up we should get layton eventually

oh that was me trying not to take a dig at joker and his gang, i imagine the phantom thieves layton encountered were much more compelling

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Yeah that's really the main thing when it comes to Layton support. a lot of fans do want him in, they just aren't confident enough to support him, a number even feel that Level-5 would rather push Jibanyan over the prof instead.

Which is pretty faulty logic because 1. Level-5 themselves have expressed desire time and again to see the Prof joining the roster so there is little reason for them to try and get Sakurai to include a different character over him if they where asked for him.
2. Its Sakurai and Nintendo who really have the final say as to who gets in, all Level-5 can do is agree or decline their requests, which again, they don't have much reason to do so as they have openly shown that they are very open to the idea of collaborations with other companies down to even letting their characters cameo in some golf game..
and 3. If you want a character in, go out there and support them, being quiet does nothing but give the impression that there is no interest for the character, which in turn makes them seem more "unlikely", so Its pretty much one of the worst things you could do when it comes to wanting a character in Smash.

I think we really do need to go out there and support the Prof some more outside of this thread, especially within Layton communities and encourage them to do the same.

It will do us no good constantly waiting for a rumour or leak to pop up to invigorate demand for the character as whatever is legit most likely won't come up until the last minute again eitherway.

The most active places I could find where a lot of Layton fans reside is probably Twitter and Tumblr. The Layton reddit is also fairly active and there is also the Professor Layton series Discord pages as well. The fandom would probably become a lot more active again whenever Level-5 announces the next entry though....

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I found this insight on a discord and I think it is an interesting thought.

"SNK was big enough, important enough, and has enough legacy and good will in the game industry as a company that they could get their mascot in despite his individual game by itself not being super big as a franchise. Adol would have to get in based on the same deal but the issue is that Falcom is a nobody these days compared to Japanese dev studios like Level 5, Koei Tecmo, and Arc System Works who could ALSO be the next SNK situation"

While this was talking about Adol (Ys protag?) they do make a good point about Level 5, Koei Tecmo, and Arc System Works. Layton could be a sleeper pick no one really expects cuz he's a """smash 4 pick"""

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I found this insight on a discord and I think it is an interesting thought.

"SNK was big enough, important enough, and has enough legacy and good will in the game industry as a company that they could get their mascot in despite his individual game by itself not being super big as a franchise. Adol would have to get in based on the same deal but the issue is that Falcom is a nobody these days compared to Japanese dev studios like Level 5, Koei Tecmo, and Arc System Works who could ALSO be the next SNK situation"

While this was talking about Adol (Ys protag?) they do make a good point about Level 5, Koei Tecmo, and Arc System Works. Layton could be a sleeper pick no one really expects cuz he's a """smash 4 pick"""
Yeah those are probably the three most prominent Japanese companies that don't have any playable characters yet. If Vergeben is anything to go by, then there might have potentially been negotiations fairly recently for Ryu Hayabusa so we could very possibly be seeing a Koei Tecmo character showing up sometime down the line.

Also some people are speculating in regards to Arle because of Jon from Gamexplain randomly pushing her for some reason and he has foreshadowed a number of things, including characters in the past.
If she does make it in, then that's great that they really are delving further into new gaming genre's. I think she was also a fairly popular request during the ballot period so it might mean good things if they are still looking back at that for some character inclusions.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm not so sure about Arle frankly, given that Puyo Puyo is owned by Sega lock stock and barrel these days. Plus, The Fighter Pass has largely focused on either new companies that haven't had representation in Smash yet with Atlus, Microsoft/Rare, and SNK, or at least franchises with major histories behind them like Dragon Quest. Since Ryu Hayabusa and Crash apparently aren't Fighter 5, people should really be paying more attention to Level 5 since apart from Koei Tecmo, is the last major Japanese gaming company with noteworthy ties to Nintendo. If anything, the news gives Layton a greater chance of being the last character in the pass.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not so sure about Arle frankly, given that Puyo Puyo is owned by Sega lock stock and barrel these days. Plus, The Fighter Pass has largely focused on either new companies that haven't had representation in Smash yet with Atlus, Microsoft/Rare, and SNK, or at least franchises with major histories behind them like Dragon Quest. Since Ryu Hayabusa and Crash apparently aren't Fighter 5, people should really be paying more attention to Level 5 since apart from Koei Tecmo, is the last major Japanese gaming company with noteworthy ties to Nintendo. If anything, the news gives Layton a greater chance of being the last character in the pass.
So wait, which characters are supposedly out of the running for fighter 5, or at least considered not very likely?
Quite a few characters seem to have been shot down over the past week or so by insiders if I recall...

MattX20

Smash Hero
So wait, which characters are supposedly out of the running for fighter 5, or at least considered not very likely?
Quite a few characters seem to have been shot down over the past week or so by insiders if I recall...
According to Sabi, one of her biggest sources has made it clear that Crash Bandicoot and Ryu Hayabusa aren't that the last character of the Fighter Pass. With Koei Tecmo being one of the last two major Japanese gaming companies with noteworthy ties to Nintendo left out of this wave of DLC, the chances of Level 5 being in has shot up dramatically.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Follow me here
  • Layton has fought "phantom thieves" before
  • Joker was revealed a year ago at the VGAs
  • Layton's trailer could prove how Joker stole his invite since Sakurai has stated Joker stole someone's invitation. The trailer could involve Layton prosecuting/outsmarting Joker.
  • Katrielle's game is coming up soon and the VGAs could be the perfect spot to reveal what appears to be an new Layton game trailer, that turns out to be Smash...like Joker's everyone thought was for some new Persona spinoff or port.
This on top of the Level 5 relationship with Nintendo means the Professor's chances aren't totally down the dumps! Ik we've mentioned some of the more "thematic" elements here before, and those are always kind of iffy to try and predict. Doomslayer could totally fit for a VGA reveal too on that basis.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
According to Sabi, one of her biggest sources has made it clear that Crash Bandicoot and Ryu Hayabusa aren't that the last character of the Fighter Pass. With Koei Tecmo being one of the last two major Japanese gaming companies with noteworthy ties to Nintendo left out of this wave of DLC, the chances of Level 5 being in has shot up dramatically.
Hmm that does seem to narrow things down a bit, though there is always the possibility that an existing third party might be double dipping or Arc System Works or something gets prioritized. Lets wait and see what happens. Good thing November is around the corner so hopefully we won't be having to wait long until we finally find out who fighter 5 is...

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm that does seem to narrow things down a bit, though there is always the possibility that an existing third party might be double dipping or Arc System Works or something gets prioritized. Lets wait and see what happens. Good thing November is around the corner so hopefully we won't be having to wait long until we finally find out who fighter 5 is...
Unlikely that Capcom or Konami would get any content in the Fighter Pass given what they recieved in the base game, and Arc System Works isn't tied with Nintendo as strongly so I'm not too sure on them. The only company that could be given a second character is Bandai Namco with Kos-Mos, Lloyd, or even Klonoa. I'm leaning a bit more towards Layton though since the company probably needs the boost with how its not going well for Yokai Watch right now

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Pre-purchase just went live for LMJ. I knew a couple people in here were asking why that wasn't up yet, well now it is. :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Pre-purchase just went live for LMJ. I knew a couple people in here were asking why that wasn't up yet, well now it is. :p
Heh, was just about to say that myself. But yeah LMJ Deluxe is now available for pre purchase for those who where interested.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Follow me here
  • Layton has fought "phantom thieves" before
  • Joker was revealed a year ago at the VGAs
  • Layton's trailer could prove how Joker stole his invite since Sakurai has stated Joker stole someone's invitation. The trailer could involve Layton prosecuting/outsmarting Joker.
  • Katrielle's game is coming up soon and the VGAs could be the perfect spot to reveal what appears to be an new Layton game trailer, that turns out to be Smash...like Joker's everyone thought was for some new Persona spinoff or port.
This on top of the Level 5 relationship with Nintendo means the Professor's chances aren't totally down the dumps! Ik we've mentioned some of the more "thematic" elements here before, and those are always kind of iffy to try and predict. Doomslayer could totally fit for a VGA reveal too on that basis.
If they do another reveal for one of my most-wanted at the VGAs, then I think my friends my refuse to watch it with me. I had a slight breakdown after Joker's reveal haha.

In all seriousness, if they do another "sequel" trailer like Banjo and K Rool, then Layton would definitely make sense as a sequel for Joker's story-wise. The question in my mind would be how they would do the art-styles, as both Persona and Layton have very unique aesthetics... I guess they could make it seem like a general theft case in the Layton art style, then have like a wanted poster of Joker or something? Maybe use the Persona Q version of him, as that may blend in a bit better? Idk.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
If they do another reveal for one of my most-wanted at the VGAs, then I think my friends my refuse to watch it with me. I had a slight breakdown after Joker's reveal haha.

In all seriousness, if they do another "sequel" trailer like Banjo and K Rool, then Layton would definitely make sense as a sequel for Joker's story-wise. The question in my mind would be how they would do the art-styles, as both Persona and Layton have very unique aesthetics... I guess they could make it seem like a general theft case in the Layton art style, then have like a wanted poster of Joker or something? Maybe use the Persona Q version of him, as that may blend in a bit better? Idk.
Haha I can only imagine your emotion if they do that, and having it be a sequel to Joker's to boot. :p

You do present a good point. I mean, Phoenix and Layton coexisted in the same game and they have pretty different art styles. I can totally see chibi Joker melding better with Layton, maybe with fixed proportions so he doesn't appear super short compared to the Prof.

1572034808332.png
1572034833928.png
1572034867379.png

Or you could just make Layton a little more anime-esque. Idk if the below is the art I'm thinking of, but there's art out there of if Phoenix and Wright swapped art styles. They could take a little liberty with that as long as Layton is recognizable and not too drastically different from the source material.

https://external-content.duckduckgo...umblr_mf8t1k3g541rm5fceo2_1280.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

amageish

Smash Master
Haha I can only imagine your emotion if they do that, and having it be a sequel to Joker's to boot. :p

You do present a good point. I mean, Phoenix and Layton coexisted in the same game and they have pretty different art styles. I can totally see chibi Joker melding better with Layton, maybe with fixed proportions so he doesn't appear super short compared to the Prof.

Or you could just make Layton a little more anime-esque. Idk if the below is the art I'm thinking of, but there's art out there of if Phoenix and Wright swapped art styles. They could take a little liberty with that as long as Layton is recognizable and not too drastically different from the source material.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http://25.media.tumblr.com/244a6901537ead968a47f6a1921d85eb/tumblr_mf8t1k3g541rm5fceo2_1280.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
Hopefully I wouldn't have anything else to do that night, as I'd probably be rendered incapacitated for the evening haha.

True! Phoenix and Layton worked well by putting them both into a setting that looks like a melding of the two. I think a PQ2 Joker would work very well though, as it does look kind of Layton-y in cutscenes?

Layton looking like AA would be very cool and could also work, but I think it'd be instantly more suspicious if we want to misdirect the viewer into thinking its a Layton trailer...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
When talking about things like these I always remember the concept art for Layton vs. Ace Attorney which had Layton looking like this super cool anime villain.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd imagine that whoever appears in Layton's trailer would be adapted to his series art style, since its his trailer and all. Much like how they adapted Link to the art style of the Palutena's Revolting Dinner shorts for Palutena's trailer and all.

Yeah there were scrapped "Dark Layton" and "Dark Phoenix" in the art book
If Layton where to make it in, and Smash Ultimate modding comes as far as Brawl modding did one day, I'd love to see someone make a "Dark Layton" alt based off those scrapped designs, likewise for Phoenix.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd imagine that whoever appears in Layton's trailer would be adapted to his series art style, since its his trailer and all. Much like how they adapted Link to the art style of the Palutena's Revolting Dinner shorts for Palutena's trailer and all.
im sure we all cant wait to see that

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Last edited:
Top Bottom