• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Prima Strat Guide

studly

Smash Ace
i have no idea if there has been another post about this any where but
what did yu guys think oif Prima's Strategy Guide For Brawl

I own it (someone got it to me for my birthday)

just wanted to know what u guys think about it

...i thing i personaly like is how it directs beginner players to go competative...

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
lol that guide has nothing of value in it, other than getting 100% in single player, i like strat guides for the art, and flashy pictures, but don't be fooled, most of the things they tell you in there, won't be good for versus matches against other humans with a lil' experience under their belts.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention that it is laden with errors regarding character specials.

Check out the Ike forums and look how many threads there are regarding cancelling Quickdraw because of that **** guide.

brawltastic

Smash Rookie
I know a lot of people talk trash about that strategy guide but imo its more of a collectors thing. Coffee table material (if not on top of the toilet material)...

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
More like, IN the toilet material!

Joking aside though, I really only didn't like the guide because the information was often incomplete or misleading, and the "rating" that it gave characters seemed inaccurate at all levels of play.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Oh and the fact that it describes a lot of moves incorrectly. Half of its description of Toon Link is actually describing moves of Link.

"USmash is dangerous to use because if it misses it commits you to three attacks before it ends"

Ummm, no that's Link's Usmash. Not to mention they list Ike's Final Smash as virtually useless and fails to KO. I've only seen it fail to KO when the opponent is at low percents.

Raustblackdragon

Smash Apprentice
That guide sucks it has the stupidest character rankings. It says sonic is one of the best and like thewiredknight said they act like theres no difference between clones.
Yeah. Furthermore, since so many clones are higher alphabetically than the originals, they compare the originals to the clones frequently. Also, the character rankings fail because they don't give a number ranking for recovery, and don't mention stage builder once.

It was a VERY good read though, since it was all I had with me after I went into the city to get brawl and my train got delayed 2 hours.

Any why make a ranking system if nobody gets an overall 10? Makes all characters sound like they suck.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
It looks like most of they lurked Smashboards and grabbed Melee terms to get crediblity, then wrote just another crappy Brawl guide. The character rankings are just awful. LINK of all people got an 8? Kirby a 5? Olimar was rated like a 6 I think?

M.K

Level 55
They didn't even mention that the Pirate Ship can can sucked up by a hurricane....or was it the stranding on the island? Gah, stupid memory.

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
Did they have the names of the A moves? That's still my favorite part of NP's old Melee guide.

diabetic_yoshi

Smash Apprentice
Lol. I flipped through that thing at work. I think the guy even said something like DDD can not only throw but -smash- Waddle Dee into people. I also noticed the lack of a music list on that thing.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
OK, the guide sucks, but I really don't blame them for it. Prima guides are notoriously weak for any multiplayer game with depth. First, their audience really isn't anywhere close to the people who know about these boards. They're aiming for people who haven't played the game yet or are bare beginners at best. They're going to give the strategies that can beat CPUs and newbies and nothing else. Second, they only have a few months to test the game. When they can't test it for long with a limited variety of testers, they probably won't advance that far into the meta aspects of Brawl. I would never trust it with a fighter unless for some reason there were too many characters and I forgot moves. Prima guides are good as walkthroughs when you want to be lazy in adventure games, that's about it.

studly

Smash Ace
OK, the guide sucks, but I really don't blame them for it. Prima guides are notoriously weak for any multiplayer game with depth. First, their audience really isn't anywhere close to the people who know about these boards. They're aiming for people who haven't played the game yet or are bare beginners at best. They're going to give the strategies that can beat CPUs and newbies and nothing else. Second, they only have a few months to test the game. When they can't test it for long with a limited variety of testers, they probably won't advance that far into the meta aspects of Brawl. I would never trust it with a fighter unless for some reason there were too many characters and I forgot moves. Prima guides are good as walkthroughs when you want to be lazy in adventure games, that's about it.

It was written for the smash noobs

Top Bottom