• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The power of Nair

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Don't care if it's old.

Sonic's Nair has two different types of dmg and knockback. When the animation first executes and if you do hit your opponent at this point, the knock back will be great and the dmg will be 11. Now if do the Nair and hit your opponent after the initiated animation, the dmg will be 8 and knockback will not be as great. With this, you can execute some pretty stylish combos. For instance this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay2NEM2lub0

At the beginning of that match I do perform a very cool (at least I think =0) that involves using the low dmg Nair into a dtilt and AAA combo. Now it does do 16 dmg. But it usally does 21 dmg.

Nair also has a very low landing lag (yes it still does have some lag) but it one of the best moves IMO that Sonic has. And I don't see many Sonic players use it. =[

So hopefully you do start using it =]

ps: 11 dmg nair can ko

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I don't know that the knock-back is "great." I'm fairly certain it has less knock-back than a cleanly landed fair. But I agree with you for the most part. Nair is so under-utilized by Sonic mains it's baffling.

Tenki

Smash Hero
it has a 3rd damage- 6 (or 5?) with knockback low enough to combo into ground moves at the end of it;;

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Nair reminds me of the Sonic 3 Insta-Shield. I use it here and there, mainly for the mixup, but I find fair and bair soooo much more useful.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
The only thing I find Nair useful for is as a combo finisher and that it auto cancels. IMO sonic has one of the worst Nairs in the game compared to all the other characters. Too bad its not a multi- hit attack, then I can see it being more useable.

Truce

Smash Cadet
For everybody saying that Sonic's fair and bair are way more useful, keep in mind how quick his nair really is. You can throw one down with a minimal chance for punishment, and it can easily set up combos afterwards.

Glad some other people realized nair's power as well. I was just realizing how underused it is myself.

Tenki

Smash Hero
No, it just destroys them, as does d-air, homing attack, and a couple of other moves that he has.

Top Bottom