• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Post-Ultimate Mega Smash Poll - Results for 500 votes are here!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That's... not exactly true. You're overstating the case for Toad quite significantly. The biggest problem in your argument is that nobody in their right mind is asking for Toad as a clone character. Who would he be a clone of? Peach? Mario? It wouldn't work one to one nearly as neatly as you are thinking.
I am in my right mind and cannot imagine Toad not falling somewhere on the clone spectrum. The question is where on the spectrum?

Why would Toad not have similar physics to Mario but be a faster faller? Not saying Toad cannot be on the end of the spectrum of clones Isabelle is, but Toad would probably very heavily rely on the mainline 2D Mario game design. Because that is where Toad is most recognizable as a playable character.

Thus I think Toad as a clone on the spectrum of clones works just from a baseline (2D platform games translate easy to 2D platform fighters) and from a recognizability standpoint.
Most of what Geno has in his arsenal is distinctly his -- being a high risk/high reward zoner with some sort of timed hits mechanic which boosts the strength of attacks. A fighter with guns, cannons, laser beams, OHKO hits, timed hits, maybe tinkering with the fact that he's possessed by a star spirit playing into rounding out his kit, etc.
Smash already has plenty of zoners, ones with lots of gadgets... that is basically Mega Man, and to a slightly lesser degree Samus / Dark Samus. And if we wanted new unique gun weapon-centric characters... I mean we can add Jonesy from Fortnite, Master Chief and Tracer to name a few.

Geno's moveset was designed for a secondary character in an RPG on the Super Nintendo, so you have to really fill in the holes. Having all guns and weaponry like that takes a lot to work. PMEX and numerous fan games have tried to add Geno, but they all come across as unorganized messes. All the work required to fix that... why not just work on another, far more popular original moveset character?

Lastly a one hit KO projectile outside of a Final Smash would be mortifying.
And then Toad who would probably be some sort of fast-paced brawler/grappler who also uses a plethora of gizmos from the mainline Super Mario series. Both offer some very interesting potential but it really comes down to personal preference and the fast-paced brawler archetype is already showcased with Capt. Falcon and Sonic -- not to say Toad would play the same as those two at all but the distinctive factor is lesser.
Grapplers in Smash all have command grabs, and that does not fit Toad like it does Donkey Kong, Bowser or Incineroar... unless there is something from a Mario spin-off I am not thinking of.

Toad would probably be more of a super speedy Mario with lots of power moves, likely with a central gimmick of pulling out a mushroom block (neutral B) that makes Toad move more quickly and can be a weapon. While not super unique, that is clones. The great clones have a twist. This is one potential twist. Drawing Mario spin-offs is another. But I do think using Super Mario Bros. 2 as a base (where Toad is a clone of Mario in a way) makes a lot of sense.

And also again, if we want Toad to not be a clone at all... we always have Captain Toad or Toadsworth.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't think this thread should get too off track hung up on this specific topic, but I think the idea of Toad as a Mario clone hinges on something that isn't actually there. It'd be one thing if Mario used a bunch of power-ups that Toad already has access to, but Cape and FLUDD are already unfitting of Toad and his body type / animations would be completely different. He's also got his big mushroom head which, knowing Smash's general design philosophy, would become a central part of many attacks in contrast to his generally stubby little hands and feet. Mario does a lot of punching and kicking that would just look a bit odd translated over to Toad. His main source of inspiration is Mario 64 in which Toad has never been playable.

The most he could realistically share, IMO, is this - Mario's Fireball, Mario Tornado, Up Smash, Back Air (?)... but maybe we have different perspectives on what "clone" entails here. I can see Toad using Mario as a baseline to build off of, but the end result would need to be completely different. If Isabelle had to be animated from the ground up because her proportions didn't suit Villager, then I don't see Toad being dealt any favors.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
From my perspective of the Toad placements in comparison to Geno(I am a Geno fan, so I guess bias might be a factor, but I did also vote for Captain Toad), I figured Toad and Captain Toad did better because of the nature of the poll. It's been brought up before how this poll leans more into characters that are more generally liked than those who have really diehard support bases, and I agree with that. I also imagine the way the poll was formatted avoided the scenario of Toad fans not have to choose one or the other, as I am guessing that sort of thing wounds the characters placing in polls that have limited options. I could be wrong on all this since I am not super familiar with Toad and Captain Toad speculation, but that's just the take I have on the results.

Laniv

Smash Champion
There are a lot of factors in Toad vs. Geno that I think uplift Toad and bury Geno

1. Toad can be a clone, Geno cannot

Clones used to be a hateddddddd concept in these discussions. Now, Smash fans realize they are more frugal to add in terms of time, money and resources. They are not competing for other spots, they are more cool bonus characters.

A lot of clone-ish characters fall this way, which again, I think is working in the favor of Toad, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, ETC. And if any of these characters were added, that would soften the blow of people wanting another character because these characters fall somewhere on the clone spectrum, and thus required less to create.

2. Geno's moveset is hard to conceptualize, Toad is not.

Geno is hard to conceptualize a moveset and skillset in a way that is interesting and cohesive in Smash. Geno also only has one game to be drawn from.

I think the PMEX Geno is one of the weakest additions in that mod for instance. I think the people who made Geno for PMEX did a good job, but it is easy to see why said characters' moveset felt cluttered.

Other newly made characters in PMEX were very easy to understand and probably fundamentally very easy to add.

While that is one example, in contrast Toad we can all picture.
Toad could be Mario but with the Mario 2 high speed / high power / low jump. Toad could have a variety of moves from his dozens of spin-off appearances or few Mario 2D appearances. All of that is easy to imagine.

And if you want more out of Toad that is unique... Captain Toad exists... and is his own character!

3. Geno's design is not visually apparent.

This is something more and more I can see being so important in not only Smash, but videos. A character visibly being easy to understand what they are just by looking at them for the first time... that is super important for a main character.

And I do not think Geno has that. Geno is a wooden doll yes, probably with magical powers. But does Geno's design highlight that Geno is largely a weapon? Not really. Meanwhile if you show someone Palutena, Shulk, ROB, all the Fire Emblem folks... they can get more of the archetype after one look, and be reasonably right.

If you want to go general gaming, we all know what Master Chief, Kratos or Trevor from GTA V were largely about just looking at their character art.

Toad is similarly visually easy to understand what Toad is about. But also probably half the population on Earth would know who / what Toad is already. And that makes a world of difference.
As one of Toad's strongest defenders (I think)... you're downplaying Geno super hard.

For starters, Geno's moveset being "hard to conceptualize" doesn't hold a lot of water when we have Duck Hunt and the EarthBound boys, the former of which did two or three things in his game, and the latter two each having one game to draw from, neither of which had any attack animations. Geno has the "living toy/benevolent possessed puppet" angle to work with, and a general wishing star motif to spruce up his aesthetics. There is material to work with here.

Plus, he can use Mega Man as a base.

And while I agree Toad has an easier moveset plan than people think, he cannot work as a Mario clone. That's like making K. Rool a Bowser clone.

why do people always have to rain on toad's parade
No raining here! I'm just saying Toad can't be a Mario clone

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't think this thread should get too off track hung up on this specific topic, but I think the idea of Toad as a Mario clone hinges on something that isn't actually there. It'd be one thing if Mario used a bunch of power-ups that Toad already has access to, but Cape and FLUDD are already unfitting of Toad and his body type / animations would be completely different. He's also got his big mushroom head which, knowing Smash's general design philosophy, would become a central part of many attacks in contrast to his generally stubby little hands and feet. Mario does a lot of punching and kicking that would just look a bit odd translated over to Toad. His main source of inspiration is Mario 64 in which Toad has never been playable.
Probably should have clarified I meant moreso 64 and Melee Mario. Mario nowadays is like Mario 64 Mario, but Mario in Smash 64 felt more like 2D Mario, and played like an entirely different character.

I can see why people have struggle seeing that, but I guess just saying "play Toad in Mario Bros. 2 and then Mario in Smash 64 there is 90% of what I imagine" is the visual / player feel visualization I have. I understand why people have other views, and they definitely make sense though since Toad has been in probably over a hundred video games.

I think that is probably the best point for me to end my viewpoint of the subject though.
maybe we have different perspectives on what "clone" entails here.
Clones are a spectrum. It is not just "they have this many similar moves," "they have similar animations," it is some semblance of shared or borrowed DNA as to what makes a character a character. The problem with this is that it can be hard to figure out where the spectrum of the shared DNA ends and where unique DNA begins. There are definitely gray areas. And quite frankly, I am entirely unsure of what I consider the line is for clones, semi-clones, ETC. And I think that is where the contention I was stating is coming from. But I guess I did not divulge enough into the matter beforehand.

My takes is all of these are examples of clones:
Ganondorf in Melee having one different move from Captain Falcon but hitting harder while moving slower.
Lucas being largely different from Ness while sharing properties from Ness as well as a handful of moves.
Ocarina of Time Link in 64 / Melee evolving into what is now BotW Link, Young Link and Toon Link, all which have diverged and become different versions of similar things.

This is not dissimilar to what has happened to more traditional 2D and 3D fighting games have seen. Ryu / Ken / Akuma / Sakura / A bunch of other characters, Siegfried and Nightmare, Ryo and Dan :laugh: .... these relationships change gradually over time and sometimes get a little murky.

I think you cannot talk about Smash speculation whatsoever without talking about clones, the spectrum of potential clones, and what characters it applies to. Because in many situations, it can impact a lot of things.

"Echo Fighters" changed everything in that regard. Now more people don't look at clones necessarily as much as "taking spots" but rather "being additions," possibly including developers even. This probably will impact the availability (and alternate characters) going forward if the Smash series continues.

To me, the talk of clones is really the interesting matter with this data. And I think future data will deliver more interest in clones, especially as the multi-game cast has diverged quite a lot by and large from where each character started. You can really use other characters to capture the essence a character lost in past games or find something new in something old. It is one reason why I find the idea of adding a Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess Link fascinating.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"Echo Fighters" changed everything in that regard. Now more people don't look at clones necessarily as much as "taking spots" but rather "being additions," possibly including developers even. This probably will impact the availability (and alternate characters) going forward if the Smash series continues.
Well if SSBU was any indication, that doesn't mean there's gonna be a whole lot of them.

Besides, as I said (and you keep ignoring), even characters that don't feel "cloney" still share DNA with previously existing fighters. WFT goes into the exact same poses as Zelda when being attacked. Little Mac, Ryu, Simon, Terry, and Min Min all have minor Captain Falcon animations left over. Piranha Plant's flowerpot is on the same "bone" as Bowser Jr.'s Clown Car. Cloud and Corrin appeared in earlier Smash 4 patches as duplicate Ikes, and Bayonetta as a duplicate ZSS.

So I just don't see how Toad can be built off Mario but not Geno off Samus/Mega Man/Mii Gunner.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
.....people are not looking at Toad or especially Bandana Dee as clones.
At best Bandana Dee would have similar stats to Kirby like run speed, and weight. Otherwise, Bandana Dee even has a move or two that not even Kirby can canonically perform in the series that'd make his moveset much more versatile.

As my favorite Mario character, Toad still is a harder sell as a character alone in my view. Whenever he's playable, the same arsenal of tools available always apply to any other playable character in the game as well. Whenever he's not playable, he goes full-on support mode. It's why I'm not convinced with some mods making him use Item Blocks, Karts, and power-ups, since none of those things are directly associated with him. I at least think a fun moveset could involve him working with other Toads, like Peach's throws but immensely expanded. I could say the same for Waluigi. Highly demanded, but with nothing that'd set him apart from other Mario characters. I think the best they could attempt while not deviating from his character would surround making a moveset out of his tennis racket and dance moves or something unique like that.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, since people are talking about Toad, something interesting has happened in the Mario section.

Waluigi and Paper Mario are still first and second, but Captain Toad has overtaken Toad. And now both Toads have a twenty point lead on Geno. It's no longer close.

Also, Anna has been knocked out of the Fire Emblem top five by Edelgard.

Mr. Sandman has currently overtaken King Hippo in the Punch Out!! section.

Pearl has been knocked out of the Splatoon top five entirely. Fifth place is now a three way tie between Callie, Marie and Big Man.

Ninjara took fifth from Max Brass in the ARMS top five.

Ayumi overtook Starfy in the new franchises top five and Euden has fallen out of the top ten.

Last edited:

ShotoStar

Smash Apprentice
why do people always have to rain on toad's parade
Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to rain on Toad's popularity. He's a generally well liked and relatively popular character and I think he could be fun. He has a lot to offer but as a Geno fan someone comes swinging against my boy I'll respond by talking the pros and cons of both and weigh them against each other as I see it. I just think that Toad and Captain Toad placing higher is a result of them being more generally liked than having as much of a hardcore fanbase like Geno does. If votes were restricted to a top three of each voter then I think the results would be a bit different. Toad is still a popular addition either way and worth adding eventually I'd say so no hate towards him. I've already said everything I need to and it's really off the topic of what this thread is for so I'm done comparing the two and arguing this topic

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, since people are talking about Toad, something interesting has happened in the Mario section.

Waluigi and Paper Mario are still first and second, but Captain Toad has overtaken Toad. And now both Toads have a twenty point lead on Geno. It's no longer close.

Pearl has been knocked out of the Splatoon top five entirely. Fifth place is now a three way tie between Callie, Marie and Big Man.

Ayumi overtook Starfy in the new franchises top five and Euden has fallen out of the top ten.
Some very interesting developments in the last ~100 votes.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
At best Bandana Dee would have similar stats to Kirby like run speed, and weight.
Dee already has history of reusing a few of Kirby's animations, it'd be just like how post-Brawl newcomers' tendency to reuse minor Falcon animations on anyone who's Falcon-shaped enough rather than him actually being a Kirby echo

Laniv

Smash Champion

"Anna has been knocked out of the Fire Emblem top five"

:(

"...by Edelgard."

:b:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to rain on Toad's popularity. He's a generally well liked and relatively popular character and I think he could be fun. He has a lot to offer but as a Geno fan someone comes swinging against my boy I'll respond by talking the pros and cons of both and weigh them against each other as I see it. I just think that Toad and Captain Toad placing higher is a result of them being more generally liked than having as much of a hardcore fanbase like Geno does. If votes were restricted to a top three of each voter then I think the results would be a bit different. Toad is still a popular addition either way and worth adding eventually I'd say so no hate towards him. I've already said everything I need to and it's really off the topic of what this thread is for so I'm done comparing the two and arguing this topic
I'm curious. Do you have access to the Geno discord?

I am unaware if this has been posted there.

ShotoStar

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious. Do you have access to the Geno discord?

I am unaware if this has been posted there.
I do not which is probably for the best for my own sake. I remember a lot of drama happening involving the Geno support base around Ultimate's DLC cycle and since then I've been a Geno supporter/SMRPG fan that sort of vibes outside of that core base. If I did have the Discord, I absolutely would post this poll there but unfortunately I'm just doing my own thing

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

good to see ninjara doing well and the toads going on by leaps and bounds. and ayumi doing well is also great, do feel a little bad for starfy. shame to see edlegard kill anna. but murdering people is what she does

what does having more "hardcore" fans even prove? that they're louder? that the entire concept of who's popular is inherently flawed cause it's often based on who people like the most rather than who has the most people liking them?

ShotoStar

Smash Apprentice
good to see ninjara doing well and the toads going on by leaps and bounds. and ayumi doing well is also great, do feel a little bad for starfy. shame to see edlegard kill anna. but murdering people is what she does

what does having more "hardcore" fans even prove? that they're louder? that the entire concept of who's popular is inherently flawed cause it's often based on who people like the most rather than who has the most people liking them?
No, I mean it in the way that Geno might have less supporters overall, or less people generally agreeing to his inclusion and liking the idea of him being added one way or another whereas Toad would be more generally agreed upon or more "popular" to put it simply. It's a semantics argument but if the poll was conducted to have a restriction on how many characters the voter can vote upon -- say three or so -- then Geno might slide ahead because he has less people who generally agree to his inclusion but a more dedicated fanbase who rally behind his potential. It's a very minor semantical point and I don't want to diminish Toad's ability to garner votes because I have nothing against the character so I don't want to come across as if I'm stomping my feet and saying "no, no this must be wrong!" but it's just an observation. It's a scenario worth pondering if nothing else

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, I mean it in the way that Geno might have less supporters overall, or less people generally agreeing to his inclusion and liking the idea of him being added one way or another whereas Toad would be more generally agreed upon or more "popular" to put it simply. It's a semantics argument but if the poll was conducted to have a restriction on how many characters the voter can vote upon -- say three or so -- then Geno might slide ahead because he has less people who generally agree to his inclusion but a more dedicated fanbase who rally behind his potential. It's a very minor semantical point and I don't want to diminish Toad's ability to garner votes because I have nothing against the character so I don't want to come across as if I'm stomping my feet and saying "no, no this must be wrong!" but it's just an observation. It's a scenario worth pondering if nothing else
just goes to show you asking people to pick one, and only one, is just gonna cloud the results

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay, my adventures into reddit have been somewhat fruitful.

• Super Smash Bros (not the main two)
  • Donkey Kong
  • Xenoblade
  • Star Fox
  • Kirby
  • Earthbound
  • Punch Out!!
  • Advance Wars
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Ring Fit Adventure

These subreddits have agreed to host the poll.

Most subreddits have either ignored me or just haven't seen the request back. The Legend of Zelda, Wii Fit and Golden Sun have explicitly denied the request and that's fair. Having results to show to Reddit with the nice visuals has been very helpful in getting traction.

We're only one vote away from 800 votes. I believe you all deserve a write up once it reaches 1,000.

Thank you all for your help. The poll wouldn't have been this successful without each of you. I'm incredibly grateful.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well if SSBU was any indication, that doesn't mean there's gonna be a whole lot of them.
Each Smash game changes course entirely in the character choices and how they are revealed entirely, including with how DLC is mattered.

I brought up this specific service-based model because it is an educated guess as to a model in a scenario where the next Smash game is built off what Ultimate did. Everyone has their own view of such a scenario, I am merely expressing mine so my logic can be understood better. In the end, it is all of us trying to make order out of chaos. But that is Smash speculation for you! :laugh:
Besides, as I said (and you keep ignoring), even characters that don't feel "cloney" still share DNA with previously existing fighters. WFT goes into the exact same poses as Zelda when being attacked. Little Mac, Ryu, Simon, Terry, and Min Min all have minor Captain Falcon animations left over. Piranha Plant's flowerpot is on the same "bone" as Bowser Jr.'s Clown Car.
I did not bring it up because it was not my point. Reusing assets, animations, bones, ETC is just how video games and animations work.

I bring up shared assets only for characters where this is more apparent and characters are at least arguably on the clone spectrum as I like to call it (IE: arguably Isabelle and Villager) or clearly are (IE: Falco and Fox in Melee). What we all consider "a clone" is different by definition, which is why I use the concept of a spectrum to leave it more open-ended. It is a subjective matter to some degree, and I respect most takes on the matter.

The key reason I bring all of this and the clone spectrum up is that characters that fall on the spectrum (especially the more clone-y) are cheaper to add in terms of manhours than characters with very little borrowed assets, and that the former are not taking "the spots" of the latter. Echo Fighters and other explanations by Sakurai have made more and more people realize this, which is changing the perspective of how voting is happening (in addition to us already being able to play as the 50 most wanted Nintendo characters in Smash named the Reckless Wiimote Guy).

But again, all of this is my analysis. I could be wrong or right in how I am analyzing the data. Not a big deal either way. I believe the chase is better than the catch.
Cloud and Corrin appeared in earlier Smash 4 patches as duplicate Ikes, and Bayonetta as a duplicate ZSS.
This is how character development in fighting games and video games works from pre-release to release.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Okay, my adventures into reddit have been somewhat fruitful.

• Super Smash Bros (not the main two)
  • Donkey Kong
  • Xenoblade
  • Star Fox
  • Kirby
  • Earthbound
  • Punch Out!!
  • Advance Wars
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Ring Fit Adventure

These subreddits have agreed to host the poll.

Most subreddits have either ignored me or just haven't seen the request back. The Legend of Zelda, Wii Fit and Golden Sun have explicitly denied the request and that's fair. Having results to show to Reddit with the nice visuals has been very helpful in getting traction.

We're only one vote away from 800 votes. I believe you all deserve a write up once it reaches 1,000.

Thank you all for your help. The poll wouldn't have been this successful without each of you. I'm incredibly grateful.
I'm not sure what surprises me more, that Wii Fit has a Subreddit active enough to respond, or that they responded and said no.

Top Bottom