• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Poppin' Bubble Dragons - Bub & Bob for Smash!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
There was also that time the game designers thought they should be replaced by little kids wearing dragon costumes.

I have no idea why anyone thought that was a good idea. (I suppose it would work for a Smash Mii costume though.)
I don't wanna burst your bubble or nothin' but Bub and Bob ARE little kids that are just magically transformed into dinosaurs in Bubble Bobble 1. That's why the real Bubble Bobble 2 and Bubble Bobble 3 has human kids as the main characters.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
So if Bub & Bob do get in, which version of their designs would you be most satisfied with them being based on?

I’m sure most people would probably choose the 1st one, but personally I like the style of the 2nd one better, here they don’t just simply look generically cute, they look both cute and goofy, and that’s how I always pictured them when I used to play their classic game.
I quite like the third design

Oddball

Smash Lord
I know that, but there's still a big difference between kids turned into cute little dragons and kids dressed like cute little dragons.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
It’s honestly pretty baffling how there’s no content from such a company like Taito in Smash at this point, not even as a spirit.

With that said, I actually wonder if Taito would be interested to approach Nintendo and Sakurai to add someone like Bub and Bob in Smash.
91F01C5D-F3D7-46BD-8510-11643B978E60.jpeg

Hopefully yes cuz these two are literally a perfect fit for the game.

Edit: Nevermind, I just found out that apparently Square owns Taito, so this basically means Bub and Bob’s chances are pretty damning, sadly.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It’s honestly pretty baffling how there’s no content from such a company like Taito in Smash at this point, not even as a spirit.

With that said, I actually wonder if Taito would be the kind of company to approach Nintendo and Sakurai to add someone Bub and Bob in Smash.
View attachment 291645
Hopefully yes cuz these two are literally a perfect fit for the game.

Edit: Nevermind, I just found out that apparently Square owns Taito, so this basically means Bub and Bob’s chances are pretty damning, sadly.
There's not necessarily a limit to how many characters from one company they might want to add to the game. But yeah at this point I wouldn't mind just some spirits or something. I don't think there'll be any dlc assist trophies, so that seems out of the window.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
There's not necessarily a limit to how many characters from one company they might want to add to the game.
True but considering how stingy Square really is with the rights to their IPs and characters, I wouldn’t really hold my breath. Hope I’m wrong tho.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
True but considering how stingy Square really is with the rights to their IPs and characters, I wouldn’t really hold my breath. Hope I’m wrong tho.
It's all different. Final fantasy music has always been an issue, which wasn't there for dragon quest music. In example.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Not to worry, Taito creatively operates autonomously from Square Enix. The latest Bubble Bobble entry was published by ININ Games. Taito could have used Square Enix for distribution but they didn't. Square Enix uses the Taito brand as their arcade business, their video games are an afterthought.

But going back to topic, I don't see Bubble Bobble being fighters only because Space Invaders would be prioritised as a fighter should Nintendo and Sakurai approach Taito.

It's all different. Final Fantasy music has always been an issue, which wasn't there for dragon quest music. In example.
Nope, Square Enix is just too proud of its intellectual properties. Cloud had no remixed tracks and Hero's songs were all in MIDI quality.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not to worry, Taito creatively operates autonomously from Square Enix. The latest Bubble Bobble entry was published by ININ Games. Taito could have used Square Enix for distribution but they didn't. Square Enix uses the Taito brand as their arcade business, their video games are an afterthought.

But going back to topic, I don't see Bubble Bobble being fighters only because Space Invaders would be prioritised as a fighter should Nintendo and Sakurai approach Taito.

Nope, Square Enix is just too proud of its intellectual properties. Cloud had no remixed tracks and Hero's songs were all in MIDI quality.
Space invaders would not make a good fighter. Bubble Bobble works better. But still I wouldn't expect it, just would be a super nice surprise :p

As for the final fantasy music rights, I heard something about it being complicated, but I can't find what I read before. All I know is that they were a lot more generous for everything that came with Hero than FF.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Space invaders would not make a good fighter. Bubble Bobble works better. But still I wouldn't expect it, just would be a super nice surprise :p

As for the final fantasy music rights, I heard something about it being complicated, but I can't find what I read before. All I know is that they were a lot more generous for everything that came with Hero than FF.
The same was said for Minecraft Steve and look how unique his moveset ended up becoming, if there's material to pull from then a moveset can be made.

Nobuo Uematsu is the composer for Final Fantasy VII and was the composer for the Super Smash Bros Brawl Title Theme, so it's definitely not a music rights issue. Square Enix are just stubborn with how third parties treat their intellectual properties.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The same was said for Minecraft Steve and look how unique his moveset ended up becoming, if there's material to pull from then a moveset can be made.

Nobuo Uematsu is the composer for Final Fantasy VII and was the composer for the Super Smash Bros Brawl Title Theme, so it's definitely not a music rights issue. Square Enix are just stubborn with how third parties treat their intellectual properties.
It'd just make no sense to have a spaceship as a character. I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. If you want a very quirky character you can hope for it you want I guess.

Most people talk about it being music rights issue. Yes SE can be stingy too, but it's uneven around. I think another more popular game would have priority for sure. Though that's also why I think Geno doesn't have much chance, but lots of people want to believe in it.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
It'd just make no sense to have a spaceship as a character. I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. If you want a very quirky character you can hope for it you want I guess.

Most people talk about it being music rights issue. Yes SE can be stingy too, but it's uneven around. I think another more popular game would have priority for sure. Though that's also why I think Geno doesn't have much chance, but lots of people want to believe in it.
This thread may change your mind.

Still, I respect your decision to have Bubble Bobble as playable fighters and I would be happy if they did end up making it in. I just think that the legacy of Space Invaders is too valuable to ignore.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This thread may change your mind.

Still, I respect your decision to have Bubble Bobble as playable fighters and I would be happy if they did end up making it in. I just think that the legacy of Space Invaders is too valuable to ignore.
Thread or link doesn't work.
And I love bubble bobble it's a good moment of my child hood. But really if it's only up to SE to decide, I think they'll pick something more relevant. I love many of their games, so probably wouldn't be bummed if it's another SE rep. Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default, the Mana series, and so much more...
Though bubble bobble would at least offer cute dragons that aren't human characters :p

Ornl

Smash Ace
I support all friends from Taito. Do you think Taito still has a chance in the FP2?
• Masahiro Sakurai mentioned "many Taito games" when he talks about his childhood, then: "I will never forget these games that touched me when I was just a kid!"*
• Taito appears in the Sm4sh and Ultimate credits.*
• In addition to Bandai, Taito sells Nintendo goodies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom