• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Poker Thread. Next Available Time to Play: 8/21/09 NLL?

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
So, I love poker. I came to this conclusion a couple of years ago, when I was getting better at Melee. Texas Hold'Em was our other hobby, seeing as me and my friends would try to play it as much as we could. Recently I've started playing for money (nothing too big!) with some buddies down the street.

I can tell that, like Smash, I learn more with each round. Bluffing, giveaways, attitude, strategies; new things come to me every night. I beat out 6 other people two nights ago in a pretty intense game, and I made $30 off of it.

I played S0FT, PB&J, Vro, and other MW smashers at APEX2010, which was also a very fun game. I learned the process and costs of playing aggressive versus playing defensively, as I do. I noticed that I play VERY defensively, like Jigglypuff!

But for the record, S0FT is BY FAR the best Poker Player in the smash community.

So, this thread is for Poker! Post your favorite hands, experiences, strategies, stories, money you've won, places you play, what kinds of poker you play, etc etc.

Let's have a family game, eh?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

NEXT POKER GAME:
Next Level Lan Brawl Tournament - August 21st
$5 buy in?

BBQ°

Smash Champion
cool thread. I played poker for fun in middle school and never understood it outside of the luck factor, but I played it again a few weeks ago and I'm starting to really understand all the thought behind it (thanks to smash bros rofl). It's something that I would really like to get better at... I love games in general.

I don't have enough experience for me to understand the different play styles and all of that, but I think I'm pretty good at picking up when someone else is bluffing or not.

Absolut Zero

Smash Rookie
I played for 6 months in Vegas... uped around 200,000$...ive played with alot of poker pros...and plan to play it professionally....

XoFF

Smash Journeyman
I found it ironic that as soon as I finished this tournament, I see this thread.
I'm down to play but I wont be at a Brawl Tourney unless it's close.
Is it obvious i cant wait for D3, and possibly football season? lol

Also, we should schedule a big poker game at the next big melee tourney :)

Equi

Smash Ace
w00t for poker thread.

i love the game. i've been doing cash games and online tourneys all the time since i quit smash. i love the mindgames, betting patterns, table image manipulation, bet sizes, tilt, i love it all. poker at first glance looks like a simple game because of the luck factor, but it's definitely more skill than luck IMO. bad beats happen but if you play the game right you bank in the long run.

i'll heads up money match anyone at NL Hold 'Em. bringz it.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Nah, I don't, not online anyway.

My family has addictive personalities historically so I try to avoid gambling/drinking/smoking/etc for the most part.

My roommates my senior year of college were degenerate poker addicts though. Just reminds me of them, and how they'd be signed up for this in 2 seconds if they were on the boards at all.

KeeLime

Smash Rookie
Hungrybox you should really play online. I play on Stars and FT; I started on stars at $2nl and now I'm at $10nl. Nothing major but hopefully I'll keep moving up...

I just got done with a 400 hand session; I'm up about $11, here is the most interesting hand or the session:

Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em $0.02 Ante - 5 players - http://www.thehandconverter.com/hands/878189
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

SB: $9.48
Hero (BB): $12.00
UTG: $17.45
CO: $12.22
BTN: $28.25

Pre Flop: ($0.25) Hero is BB with Kh Kc
1 fold, CO raises to $0.30, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1, CO raises to $2.25, Hero calls $1.25
Standard 3bet from me, if I were in position I'd prob just call; once he 4bets I elected to just call because I thought I'd fold out weaker with a 5bet.

Flop: ($4.65) Kd Th Qs (2 players)
Hero bets $2, CO calls $2
Now I feel that he is pretty much staying in with all weaker hands: AK AQ KQ TT QQ and AA, the only hands that have me beat are JT and AJ which would mean that he was 4bet bluffing me preflop which is so far from standard at this level it's not even worth a second thought

Turn: ($8.65) As (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks
If he has 2 pair + all the money is going in on the river anyway since the only hand he should be worried about is JJ which is a really small part of my range, so I checked, with hindsight a bet might be better here but im not sure.

River: ($8.65) 2d (2 players)
Hero bets $4.20, CO raises to $7.95 all in, Hero calls $3.53 all in
Bet for value, when he shoves there are still hands that he does this with that I beat: QQ TT.

He Had AJo and he thought I was 3betting him light pf. Not really standard at $10nl but there is no way either of us are getting away from that flop so meh :ohwell:

Equi

Smash Ace
Well played. You not reraising an extra time preflop is what disguised your hand. Had you raised him again he could at least put you on AK or AQ, to which he would fold since he'd be decent underdog going into the flop with AJ.

Was that the first time you played back at him at the table? If so warning signs should have went off in his head, though you smooth calling preflop was the deception, you could have went on the top of him and he would have folded.

Top Bottom