• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The poker face is gone!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It'd be cool if Mario did his victory pose from Mario 64. Y'know, the one with the Peace sign? I liked that one. He could say one of his catchphrases too I guess.

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
Mario's smile should take precedence when budget concerns are raised. It is vital to my enjoyment of this game that Mario smiles.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Here and now, here and now, you can no longer read his POOOKER FAAACE.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I like him like he is now in Smash Bros 4.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Strange, him doing all those crazy high-pitched woohoos and yahoos (with most MK8-cast following) makes him look even more "kiddy" to me. Even if I could it for "keetness" but since everyone in MK8 or in some other Mario-spinoffs it is common...

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
Yeah, it makes no sense. The pose is charming and iconic to the character. I don't get how this is kiddie:

But this is okay:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well that's certainly a bit.... odd.....

But oh wow, I..... never actually noticed his peace sign has disappeared until now....

Can Mario at least still do a thumbs up though?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Yeah, it makes no sense. The pose is charming and iconic to the character. I don't get how this is kiddie:

But this is okay:
It's a Japanese thing. I think the peace sign may also be an offensive gesture in some countries...? I know having the back of your hand when performing the peace sign is.

In any case, that's kind of a blow to the childhood. Seeing a V-sign Mario would be amazing as a taunt or victory pose. But on the bright side, at least he's becoming more expressive in this game. I don't think even his SSBB texture had a smile.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
It's a Japanese thing. I think the peace sign may also be an offensive gesture in some countries...? I know having the back of your hand when performing the peace sign is.
Performing the v sign with the palm facing the person doing it, is offensive here in the UK, but I don't think it's offensive anywhere else. Mario never did that though, he always did a classic peace sign which if I'm not mistaken, is a popular pose many people in Japan do when taking casual photos. That being said, I really hope that part of the reason they took it out wasn't because they thought it was too "Japanese".

In any case, that's kind of a blow to the childhood. Seeing a V-sign Mario would be amazing as a taunt or victory pose. But on the bright side, at least he's becoming more expressive in this game. I don't think even his SSBB texture had a smile.
Agreed. Especially since, Sakurai still lets Luigi do it:

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Miyamoto said that Mario's V-sign was too "childish", so he wanted to have Mario not do the V-sign once the GameCube released.

Top Bottom