• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Platform Fighter of my Dreams

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
This has been a dream of mine since a decade ago. I have little knowledge of game development so the odds of this happening any time soon is small hence why I'm fine with showing this but if it did this would be the roster. I decided to make this proof of concept roster to not only get an idea as to what it would be like but also to get feedback from others. Obviously it would most likely be an indie game so the roster would be much smaller. Maybe it could get bigger with DLC or updates? Once again, this is all assuming that it ever comes to be lol.

The theme of the game would be the Multiverse and Distortion of Realities.. Almost every fighter is from a different universe and I'd want to take full advantage of that and have strange combinations of matches. We've got stuff like black & white rubberhose cartoons, retro game characters, old internet nostalgia, anthropomorphic animals, murderers, pasta soliders, annoying roommate objects, buff goth chicks, shortstack witches, the physical embodiment of mental health, ghosts, festive experiments, unidentified creatures and a very normal horse. So as you can see the game would mix different styles, mediums and tones. I'd especially want the stages to take advantage of this to but maybe to an even bigger extent. Stages could literally use different methods of creating them from photos, art, pixels and more. But the fighters would have to be a little consistent in how they're animated as to make sure everything is easy to follow.

I am experienced in both art and 2D animation so I'd obviously want the characters to be hand drawn much like Skullgirls. I'd also want to experiment with the gameplay to give a new experience. Perhaps using traditional health instead of percentages? Or change up moveset layouts like Nick All-Star tried to?

But still I'm not sure if this project will ever come to be but I think it's good to at least share and see what others think.

All of these characters of mine are pre-existing in their own projects (With the only exception being Bad Idea Cat). Some of them even date back to the late 2000's with the oldest dating back to 2008 and the newest being this year. Though there are 2 characters (being Wave and Elizabeth) who's projects are still in production but will most likely debut next year. Who would you play as?

(Order going from left to right)
1st row - Tug & Friends, Wave the Fennec Fox, Turbo, Cartoon Asylum, General Rigatoni
2nd Row - Classic Tug/Mr. Tuggles, Depression, Bad Idea Cat, Ultra Angular Guy, Stufher, Jetray102, Jack n' DaBox
3rd Row - Alice Darksin, Zen Vasquez, Kai Reign, Eclipse & Shade, Elizabeth Darlington, Normal Horse
4th Row - Murda, Nat & MAGI, Kuvera, Coal Monster, Screaming Soul

Character Select 4B.png

Baysha

Smash Ace
Nice. I like the variety in all of the characters here. Do you have a link to any other profiles you have so I can see more of them?

Also if you want an engine recommendation, then I'd suggest looking into Fraytools for Fraymakers when it releases. It's an editor for an upcoming platform fighter designed to be accessible and customizable. So it mainly does the heavy lifting while you make the characters. It can also be used for other engines.

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Thanks! A lot of the new character portraits haven't been fully released yet. But I do have art of a lot of these characters on sites like NewGrounds.

And my DeviantArt which is older but does have some more lower quality art because of that

As for the Farymaker engine I'll have to take a look into that one. I've known of Fraymakers since it was released but I'm not 100% sure of it's capabilities yet. I am excited to check it out when it comes!

Top Bottom