• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pikachu Forum Directory - New to Pika? Start Here!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
its generally banned in MOST boards, and thats what the chat is for :p
I wish we could have one, though.... the ones I've seen on other character boards have been really successful. Granted, our chat is more active than most, but it's always full of the same people. And the link to the chat isn't exactly easy for new people to find.

I dunno, I think our forum would benefit from one. I'll ask Xiivi about it.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
Why is there no Pikachu Video Thread? I played Marth before Pikachu, and the Marth Video Thread was a great resource for me.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Updated and reformatted. Hope you guys liiiike~

If I missed any threads that should be on the list, lemme know.

*Mari*

Banned via Administration
Im not new to pika, but im new to the pika world!!!!! :laugh:
Oh wow, I cant believe i haven't been in these forums before =') so organized! it all looks so pretty and in place ;_;

(i should post more...)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Updated. Took out old stuff, added new stuff, changed some titles/descriptions.

If I missed a thread that should be added, lemme know.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Updated OP. Added some newer threads, deleted some old ones..... you know the deal.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Added a section for article threads.

If there are any others you think should be added, feel free to post them!

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Updated. Took out some outdated threads, added some new ones, etc. etc. blah blah.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I added a couple threads. If I missed something that should be up here, tell me.

Next update is going to be mass format change, because I'm getting easily bored. :)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
The right way to FH tjolt thread was already under the article threads section. =X

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Once again, if I missed something, or double added it, let me know. I just looked over it, though, I don't think I broke it this time.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking about picking up Pika as an alt since I main DK and im obviously having some trouble with Falco and DDD. What would be the benefit of playing with Pikachu? I've heard that he's a difficult character due to the incredible amount of tricks and QAC stuff Pikachu has.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
@Global: Thanks! I'm on it

@Zero: I actually could have sworn I put it in on the last edit, but I guess I didn't save it. My bad. :p

EDIT: I need some help...anyone know how to make the link appear as the title? I just copypasta'd the old ones, and now formatting shows up directly and I can't do it anymore...

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
Thanks so much Leaf.! I feel pro now :laugh:
Idk how to fix your problem though. Sorry.

Edit: 777'th post. Lucky!

Edit: Wait do you mean in the post? What I do is I put the text, then I highlight it and select the add link button and then put it in and it makes it so that the link is directly on the text.

Like this?:

You lost The Game.

That is "(bracket)URL="http://www.losethegame.com"]You lost The Game.[/URL(bracket)"

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'm confused about what you were asking for, but the OP looks fine, so I guess you fixed it. ;;

RayquazaTheKip

Smash Rookie
Great job and thanks for this!! I was like terrible with Pikachu, just spamming thunder jolts. But now, I think I see what I am doing wrong. Thanks again!

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
Well, I've been playing "competitively" since September, and by the end of November I'd like to play well enough with Pika.

I got a couple of questions and hopefully someone can answer some of these...

1. If I don't know the match up, what's the safest thing pikachu can do until an opportunity to punish is available?
2. What are some good options for edge guarding? I try Tjolts, Triple Thunders(the pika-slide to a short hop, two thunders, jump third thunder and QA to return one...>.>), but I'd like more options.
3. What to avoid while using Pikachu?
4. Is there a way I could properly practice buffering? I know the chaingrabs, when they start for certain characters, and when to go from fthrow to dthrow, pummels, etc. but my main problem is learning to buffer.
5. I need more work on QA/QAC, I have a VERY bad habbit where I accidently skullbash, is it just me inputting the move too early or is there something I could do to stop accidently side-B'ing when my intention was to QAC.
6. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'll try to get videos up soon so I could get a critique, I have a handful of games saved.

Roller

Smash Legend
First of all, welcome to the pika boards! Hope we can help you out a bit here. =]

Now...

1. If I don't know the match up, what's the safest thing pikachu can do until an opportunity to punish is available?

Well, this really depends. Most of the time you could stay back a bit and jolt to see how your opponent reacts and try to pick up on some habits, however if they are a character that can outcamp you, (olimar, lucario, etc) then it is best to just get in there and start drilling them with quick, low lag attacks or well spaced F-smashes or something. However mu knowledge is HUGE, and I'd advise you to learn as many as you can. They are very important.

2. What are some good options for edge guarding? I try Tjolts, Triple Thunders(the pika-slide to a short hop, two thunders, jump third thunder and QA to return one...>.>), but I'd like more options.
Triple thunder is gimmicky, and often wont work very well, it is often better to jump off further and try to read their DI if you want to hit with thunder, I also use a good amount of nair. (then just QA back to the ledge). B reversed thunders from offstage back onto it are a safe and solid option, however they don't hit as frequently. Avoiding punishment is always good though.

For the love of god do NOT just go for the cg's. If your opponent knows what you will be trying to do every time you approach, things will not end well for you. Also, be careful with QAC, if you use it often/predictably, a good player will punish it severely. And trust me, that isn't hard to do.

4. Is there a way I could properly practice buffering? I know the chaingrabs, when they start for certain characters, and when to go from fthrow to dthrow, pummels, etc. but my main problem is learning to buffer.
All I can say is practice. It can take people a good amount of time to first learn buffering. I just memorized where pika's feet should be when I hit the button (just before they hit the ground again after throw). K_Prime has an image somewhere that shows when you should buffer, in a frame by frame depiction. I'd recommend checking it out.

5. I need more work on QA/QAC, I have a VERY bad habbit where I accidently skullbash, is it just me inputting the move too early or is there something I could do to stop accidently side-B'ing when my intention was to QAC.

Make sure you hit ^B before inputting another direction. This happens to everyone at first, you just need to keep practicing. I remember when it seemed a daunting task, now I can do it back and forth in my sleep.

Make sure to learn the match ups!!! They mean more than you know. You'd be surprised how big of a difference knowing one thing your character should do specifically against another can make. Also, practice practice practice. You should be practicing a LOT at first. Good luck,, and don't get discouraged!

I'll try to get videos up soon so I could get a critique, I have a handful of games saved.
Good idea, having videos critiqued is a great way to improve.

See ya on the boards!

cao

Smash Rookie
i have some questions:

what if a GAW comes like an animal towards you with his acuarium army (Bairs, Nairs)? should i space and then f smash him or just use shield and them punish him with a grab?

what do you consider is better for guarding the edge, Nairs or Thunders?

I HATE the chars. that absorb my t jolts, what can i do against them?

my english is not very good...and i fell like lost in this boards... so were can i get advices against GAW or Lucas?

thats all, Thanks

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
First of all, welcome to the pika boards! Hope we can help you out a bit here. =]

Now...

Well, this really depends. Most of the time you could stay back a bit and jolt to see how your opponent reacts and try to pick up on some habits, however if they are a character that can outcamp you, (olimar, lucario, etc) then it is best to just get in there and start drilling them with quick, low lag attacks or well spaced F-smashes or something. However mu knowledge is HUGE, and I'd advise you to learn as many as you can. They are very important.

Triple thunder is gimmicky, and often wont work very well, it is often better to jump off further and try to read their DI if you want to hit with thunder, I also use a good amount of nair. (then just QA back to the ledge). B reversed thunders from offstage back onto it are a safe and solid option, however they don't hit as frequently. Avoiding punishment is always good though.

For the love of god do NOT just go for the cg's. If your opponent knows what you will be trying to do every time you approach, things will not end well for you. Also, be careful with QAC, if you use it often/predictably, a good player will punish it severely. And trust me, that isn't hard to do.

All I can say is practice. It can take people a good amount of time to first learn buffering. I just memorized where pika's feet should be when I hit the button (just before they hit the ground again after throw). K_Prime has an image somewhere that shows when you should buffer, in a frame by frame depiction. I'd recommend checking it out.

Make sure you hit ^B before inputting another direction. This happens to everyone at first, you just need to keep practicing. I remember when it seemed a daunting task, now I can do it back and forth in my sleep.

Make sure to learn the match ups!!! They mean more than you know. You'd be surprised how big of a difference knowing one thing your character should do specifically against another can make. Also, practice practice practice. You should be practicing a LOT at first. Good luck,, and don't get discouraged!

Good idea, having videos critiqued is a great way to improve.

See ya on the boards!
Thank you very much!
Turns out one of my friends is going to Viridian City this Saturday and plans on taking me so I could learn a thing or two. So hopefully some of this and a mix of being there will give me the exp I need. C=

Top Bottom