• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The perfect Falco counter-pick stage...it's not what you think....

Linguini

Smash Master
Recently ive come to realize that final destination is the best counter-pick stage vs. falco.
Yes, it might sound crazy, I bet you were expecting rainbow cruise or brinstar, but no final d.
Ive disscused this with several experienced players and they agree,(Tipman also started picking this stage against falco before he quit).
By playing very good falco's(lambchops for example) ive come to release the untapped potential of this stage as a counter-pick.The space in this stage makes it perfect for tech-chasing unlimitedly and early ko's
Opinions? What do fellow ganon players think?

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
My problem with Final D lies in this against Falco's.

While there is lots of space, there are no platforms to "hide" on from those **** laser blasts.

But I do agree. You get Falco off early enough, he has a rough time coming back.

It's a good flat stage, that's nice and big to do your techs, and wavelands, etc.

Linguini

Smash Master
Alright, what you want to do is become at least 30% accurate with your timing in powersheilding. Powersheilding intimidates the falco, thereofre he lasers less. Secondly you want to be able to get over the lasers, such as attacks like the dair.

takieddine

Smash Master
I agree..

Lasers arent gonna kill you, and at 2% a piece, theyre not that bad. plus, killing ganon (or at least knocking him off the stage) for falco isnt the easiest thing.

Ganon can play the chase game after falco, and outspace his aerials, with a couple hits for a KO...

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
umm, try rolling through the first laser or two, then do a full jump over the other laser, and then dj to bair, or ffuair. this generally works. also, if he approahes with lasers, try and get a ftilt off when he lands in front of you. ganon's uthrow has a bunch of uses too against falco.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Thanks for the tips guys. :) I'll give that a try. My one friend plays a vicious Falco, and spams the lasers like it's his freaking job.
That's because it is Falco's job. that and also get you off the stage and then Gannon has trouble. I think FD can be a good counter pick stage but if I were playing against a Falco I'd just play Jiggs. Nothing that Gannon can't kill Falco in about four hits if you get a stop but it still isn't that safe.

Madlobster

Smash Apprentice
wouldn't dreamland 64 be better? it't a spacy stage with platform to hide on, and ganon cant die at that stage :p almost not die at least :D

alcheato

Smash Ace
Powershielding a single laser is enough to f*** up the SHL approach if you act fast enough, but I still definitely wouldn't counter-pick Final D unless I'm planning some major chain-grabbing since Falco can combo you easier than on any other stage. Besides, the counter-pick is largely dependent on what character you use. I saw Rainbow Cruise up there as counter and all I can say is are you serious, man? I'd actually counter-pick Rainbow Cruise and Poke Floats as Falco. Falco ***** on those stages with both his low % shine and vertical kills. Dreamland or Brinstar are the way to go.

CaptainAwesome

Smash Ace
In truth, I never though Falco was that bad of a match for Ganon. I mean, yeah, he can get ***** by the lasers and dair/shine combo, but killing Falco is easy as hell.

FD isn't too bad, though. Without platforms, you can rock a nice double u-air at like 30%. But, I don't think I'd trade platforms for anything with Ganon...

Giggidax

Smash Ace
id have to agree FD is a counterpick stage for some ganon players out there, u just have to know wat to do. against a falco, powershielding is definitely a must as well as alot of other things mentioned above.
i like to just double jump over the lasers and aerial an incoming shl falco. but a camping falco i powershielding and approach.
falcos recovery is easy to knock away with ganon. just jump out reverse uair. and if they like to sweetspot then edgehog edgehop uairs. lol! or dair the ledge if u think that ur opponent cant ledgetech, but always expect ur opponent to ledgetech. keep urself on ur toes

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
In truth, I never though Falco was that bad of a match for Ganon. I mean, yeah, he can get ***** by the lasers and dair/shine combo, but killing Falco is easy as hell.

FD isn't too bad, though. Without platforms, you can rock a nice double u-air at like 30%. But, I don't think I'd trade platforms for anything with Ganon...
I think the advantage you have is that you play Falco a lot, no? Doesn't Mendoza play Falco?

The only (decent) Falco I play against, I've only beaten the guy twice, and that was against his Capn and Marth. On top of the fact being a fluke.

I dunno, maybe you and I will just have to play some more smash C.A. Point out what I'm doing wrong. Maybe next SG, or something else. I dunno.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
i agree with it, i play against some falcos and they have a hard time against me on fd. i think that the best stage for ganon is dl64 just so much room for crazy ganon action

ancientevil11

Smash Apprentice
Ganon vs Falco on FD

i dont know about perfect counterpick stage, but to tell you the truth, i agree that FD is a great place to play against Falco. as already stated, it is really easy to tech chase him thereand there are no platforms to interrupt Ganon's attacks.

as a matter of fact, this may sound a bit od but i would actrually rather fight Falco more on FD than most other stages...

chaddd

Smash Lord
The best Falco counter with Ganondorf, in my opinion, is Mushroom Kingdom 2. It's how I was able to beat DaShiz(1 out of 3) in pools at Insomnia 5. I've found I have a huge advantage against him on that stage because most spikes with Falco can be wall-teched, and his lasers are pointless if you stay in the center of the stage.

alcheato

Smash Ace
The best Falco counter with Ganondorf, in my opinion, is Mushroom Kingdom 2. It's how I was able to beat DaShiz(1 out of 3) in pools at Insomnia 5. I've found I have a huge advantage against him on that stage because most spikes with Falco can be wall-teched, and his lasers are pointless if you stay in the center of the stage.
Isn't MK2 banned in most singles tournaments though? I've never seen anyone use it around here at least.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Isn't MK2 banned in most singles tournaments though? I've never seen anyone use it around here at least.

I concur. Both are really good points, and I could see how that could work to Ganondorf's advantage.

The only problem I see here is that I hate MK2. :(

Linguini

Smash Master
Final D defenitley works wonders with ganondorf, Ive played shiz many times, and final d seems to help because of its plenty of space for techasing, and for falco to camp you.
Campy falco's are the most fun, powersheilding FTW. Camping against ganon doesn't really work, most falco' s dont know this but if they play aggresive and dont let you breath its actually alot harder for the ganon player. Falco's usually go to final d themselves to camp so their pretty much are counter-picking for me.
It's kind of hard to explain, but hopefully soon ill put up some matches of me vs. Lambchops on FD.

Top Bottom