• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The path to Short Hop Blastering: a guide (sticky me!)

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
EDIT 12/07/2005: Added Reverse SHB buisness and wake-up SHB dealie.

Aight, I've been getting a lotta questions on how to Short Hop Blaster effectively, or what a 'SHB' is. This guide is here to stop those questions, and hopefully for everyone to get the hang of Falco's projectile. Feeling that this is one of the most important aspects to Falco's game, I think it deserves it's very own GUIDE, being that I am, by nature, a Falco player. I hate seeing peeps start to tunuva blaster, so this is for them! No spam required, just added for flavor and satisfaction! Tell me what to add/take out, and feedback is hot... :D

-------------------

DEFINITIONS

SHB: Acronym for 'Short Hop Blaster'. It's what this guide is based on.

Tunuva Blaster: It's this guy who's in my crew who just doesn't care to SHB. He doesn't play Falco as a main, but just to fool around in 4 player dittos, ect. Well, whenever we just decided to old fashion B on the ground, we call it the Tunuva Blaster. It's so... akward and uninviting when I do it, that it hurts. Tunuva blaster only on occasion. This honor of getting a 'technique' named after you, is not so honorable in this situation :D.

Gayzer: Fox and his little blaster, just running around a level, shooting the **** out of you and making sure he stays away. A very Gay laser.

-------------------

Why?

Why would anyone want to go through all the hassle of doing this 'infamous' technique, when they could just tunuva blaster? Does it really improve Falco's blaster that much?! It does, and it's a trademark of a worthy Falco. The fact behind the matter, is that the blaster doesn't recover instataneously on the ground -- you have a lotta lotta lag time before you can fire off another bolt of that Zeus Lightnin', but when you Blaster from the air, you have nothing after the blaster. The gun dissapears, Falco's mind is back in the game, and most importantly, you're NOT vulnrable to any attack some idiot-with-a-sword would like to forcibly impose upon you.

To sum it up -- it allows you to do things you'd never be able to do against many peeps, like smell better than them; you can also use cool sentence additives to make a run-on sentence into a COOL sentence.

-------------------

How-to

This section is relatively simple. How do you perform the SHB? Well, you have to be well accquainted with short hopping, first. In order to short hop, simply press X or Y lightly, and you should notice that Falco doesn't try to KO himself via the ceiling. He'll jump about as high as his height. Then you gotta gotta know how to fast fall. To fast fall, press down at the apex of your jump, which should be a short hop. Now practice short hopping and fast falling until you're relatively comforatable doing so.

Next you have to include the blaster shot into that. Pressing B is easy -- knowing when to press it is the challenge. You need to press the B button before you fast fall. if you press it anytime after you fast fall, the beam will not get off before you hit the ground, and subsequently put away your blaster. At this point, as long as you can get off a shot from your SHB, regarding it's height, it's good. Now get relaxed with that, but make sure you don't get set into a pattern quite yet -- a lot of things could be wrong with your SHB still. You just have the vague jist of it. It's like your first Wavedash. How long does it take to use it effectively in battle? Go team! Smell good!

-------------------

How to practice your SHB -- the BEEF OF THE STEW

... or the substance of the guide.

Introduction
The practice of becoming a proper SHBer is divided up into four basic sections and experience. First is the Height. Second, moving across the platform/stage. Third, speeding it up. Fourth, following up after the SHB, and as previously noted, getting real experience using the SHB. Sometimes you'll have to merge some of these sections in practice, to make your SHB more flexible(experience and following up?). Just be aware that these are the basic principals of the SHB, and are the most important aspects of the beam. I've tried to put them in chronological learning order, the way I learned it, the way I think it should be learned, and which ones are the most important.

I. Height of the blaster beam

Height of your SHB is something that will change with the circumstance, but for practicing sake, we should try to aim for a point that is as low as possible. If you can't hit a crouching Jigglypuff, or pretty much any crouching character, you're not able to SHB low enough. Aim for as low as you can, getting the blaster shot and fast fall as close together as possible without not getting a beam. For this practice, not getting a beam is just fine. Just make sure you're consistent with whatever height you're trying to hit. Once you're comfortable at the really low level, try shooting medium, and then try as high as the short hop will allow. You won't be able to fast fall the blaster if you're shooting as high as you can, but it's better than not hitting someone that IS that high :).

NEW
Something I discovered recently, is that if you hit your opponent while he/she is on the ground w/the SHB, you force them into a slow get-up process. It's guarenteed to force them to get up right where they are, and sets you up nicely for a forward smash or spike. It's important to get the SHB as low as possible for this purpose. if you can hit people every time with this, you'll be forcing them to attempt to tech every time. If they don't tech they'll just get hit!

II. Moving across the platform and stage

All right, when you short hop with Falco, you can get a 'running start' and basically fly over the ground, or you can jump, and barely move. Try using the SHB with these jumps/movements. The whole point of the blaster is to keep your opponent busy while you come in for a free hit. If you can't move, all you're doing is trying to be a Fox using his GAYZER. And for that purpose, it's not NEARLY as cool. I'd rather Gayzer with fox than Gayzer with Falco.

NEW
Eventually in dealing with moving around, you'll want to be able to turn around while running away. An example of where you'd use this is when a Marth is rushing you down with Forward airs, and you need to gain some ground. A good Marth won't give you the time you need to stop, turn around, and start your SHB. You need to be able to run away and spin around on the fly!

To do this you just short hop like normal, then tap the opposite way you're jumping in the air, then B and then fast fall it. Common problems with this is to phantom across the stage or off the ledge at first.

III. Speeding up

The hardest part is speeding it up. You think you're shooting it just fine, until some Out of stater kicks your ***, or maybe even someone from your own backyard. It helps to really pay attention to your landing. I know I used to loose a lot of speed on my landing, thinking it took longer than it really did to recover. It is INSTANT when you land -- you're recovered! No more cold! Remember that. If you practice speeding it up without moving, it will be pie.

But moving and being speedy is tough. Lots of movement on your analog stick...

IV. Following up on the SHB

Since your SHB recovers instantaneously, and you can move in for the kill, what would be a good thing to tack on? Well, something powerful, combo starting, or defensive(if the need comes up). A forward smash is a first instinct for me, and against someone not used to the blaster, extremely effective. But this leaves you vulnrable. It's nice against an airborne opponent you nailed with the blaster. He has no chance to shield, and boom. It's like setting up a super combo in street figher... Anyways, you can grab out of the SHB, dodge, WD back, do anything. The sky is the limit. Find out what works well, and mix it up!

V. Experience tips

I put this at the end, because you'll always be accquiring new tactics and methods for each character. It's a neverending campaign, of sorts. Here are some tips I've learned throughout the years for your blaster pleasure...

-Against Jigglypuff, your blaster is your best friend. Make sure that you distance yourself well with it, and JP will usually try to float above your blaster shots. Against Jiggs, usually shooting high will yeild positive results, unless she starts approaching on the ground, which isn't very likely. If she crouches, make sure you can hit her with your super-low shots. And if she IS floating above, a short-hopped UpAir isn't too bad of an idea to punish her.

-When dealing with characters who have lots of frames in their initial jump animation(e.g., Gannon, Link), you can really keep them nailed to the ground by being really quick with your SHB. A Gannon will have a tough time escaping the SHB, and since he has mucho power, make sure you keep him pestered so he can't use it.

-Teaming up with Peach, you can SHB over her head, to stop any opponent from going airborne. It's a great tactic, and sometimes will end up putting them right smack dab in front of her downsmash... *shudders* e.g., Marth trying to Fair your home-slice Peach.

-In a Falco ditto, right off the bat, it will be benificial to be able to throw up your reflector right when you hit the ground from a SHB. If you do this, you can potentially throw his blaster shot and your blaster shot right back at 'em. I've seen a lot of people reflector just to reflect it, and then stop shining. GG them ^^.

-When people are in the air, just a nice little SHB will set them up for a forward smash. if someone's coming down, SHB and Fsmash. You'll get 'em every time.

-Any other good tips for anyone that I'm fo' gettin'?

-------------------

Conclusion

Aight, to wrap it up, your SHB should move you from point A to point B with as much hassle for your opponent as possible, set you up for a decent move, and has NO RECOVERY animation afterwards. It's the reason you should play Falco. That and the spike. Also because you smell good.

-------------------

FAQs

Q: When I try to get as low to the ground as possible, I get no blaster -- just the noise of the gun. What's wrong?

A: You're pressing down too early or B too late. What you need to do, is press B before your fast fall. It's like the Price is Right, if you go over, you're screwed. If you press B too late, too bad. No SHB. In a game situation, of course you're going to want the laser to come out before anything else, but you want to be able to shoot as low as possible to hit crouching yoshis, Jigglypuffs, ect.

Q: What does smell have to do with playing Falco?

A: If you're a true Falco player, you'll know that you need to look good and smell good at all times. ESPECIALLY at gaming events. If a fine-*** hottie walks into the room, and she plays smash, you gotta make sure she's going home with you. Even if it is just to play smash. So smelling good is the #1 advantage you'll have on all the other smashers. People have a hard time cramming into a shower designed for a private section of society. This will win you the game. And plus, if your opponent catches a whiff of your scintillating scent, he might have his mind on how he can smell like you. Yes, your scent will flash and sparkle if you do it correctly. Just make sure you Lcancel it.

Q: How do you use semicolons and dashes so hot?

A: That's a simple question; I like to use them. Dashes are cool -- but semicolons are a lot tougher to use. Ain't grammar pimp?

Q: Who taught YOU all this?

A: A lot of it was this crazy mofo from Alaska, and a lot of it was the top Falco players in the states. Either way, it's a good idea to find a decent Falco player and take all the advice they throw your way. You'll become a LOT better a LOT quicker :). The practice tips I really wasn't given. Most people practice differently, and I have some other things I do, do with the blaster, but decided not to put in this guide.

D

Deleted member

If you're a true Falco player, you'll know that you need to look good and smell good at all times. ESPECIALLY at gaming events. If a fine-*** hottie walks into the room, and she plays smash, you gotta make sure she's going home with you.
I'm good. My Fox is mad sexy. WD so smooth, shining bling, moves like some thin unnamed liquid, struttin the legs. :D

You made a guide telling people how to press X followed by B, and it lasted a full page. You baffle me.

nezogib

Smash Apprentice
well there are some idiots who don't know what the x button is/does i guess. And there are more who think that shb is usless so i guess it is ok

Special K 554

Smash Journeyman
Good short guide on the art of SHB; I loved the semicolons and dashes, and that smell thing was... odd, but good.

You should try to include "....." into your amazing.... grammar skills.

Supernova

Smash Ace
You made a guide telling people how to press X followed by B, and it lasted a full page. You baffle me.

you OBVIOUSLY missed the FF part of pressing down.:chuckle:

so it's X->B->Down. geez mow. get it straight.:p

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
thx!

I've been talking to a lot of new players this last week on the hub, and everyone asks for a good Falco. When I'm on, I ask 'em what they need help with.

They say they want to learn how to SHB.

So this guide is more for ME than anyone else. I'll just give them this thread, and boom. They have all the info THEY need, and I save some time for just milling about the boards anyways :cry:. Hi no life!

Anything I should include in this to make it a bit better? We want noobs that can beat our asses, don't we? :D

Mow: Yeah, I'm a teacher at heart. To play an instrument, all you have to do is press a few buttons/block a few holes. But people spend their entire lives getting to know how it works :). I feel the SHB is something like that. :******:

dsd9001

Smash Rookie
<_<

I feel... oddly... enlightened. Even though I'm already great at SHB.

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
But the practice tips I really wasn't given. Most people practice differently, and I have some other things I do, do with the blaster, but decided not to put in this guide.
Yeah, I took out the 'But', and also decided to show everyone MORE badass grammar. How many people remember to put a comma between a word that repeats itself twice? I do, don't I? :D

Also, DSD, can you SHB across the gap in Yoshi Blocks? If you can't, you need to get better with your SHB.

Man, I'm so cool. And you guys are cool too. We all rule.

sevenofcoins

Smash Journeyman
This is a rather dumb question, but have mercy for I am a newb to Falco.

When you want to move around while SHBing, how do you avoid doing the phantasm? Do you just let go of the analog while you're in the air and let your momentum carry you? I thought that was it, but I've watched videos where people are definitely moving during the shorthop.

Rune

Smash Lord
Just keep pressing the direction you want to go only to let go of the ana-stick when you press be to laser.. takes fast fingers, just practise.

stilettotrap

Smash Ace
You let go of the analog stick before shooting. If you wanna move and shoot, you dash forward, short hop, let go of the control stick, shoot, and fastfall. It just takes a bit of practice :/

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
It's a momentum jump, as stated in Game 'n' Watch's infamous GaW guide. I'll write more on that. Probably right now. Once you can jump like that, you gotta make sure you're lettin' up on the stick, like Rune said, before you hit the B button for the ubar shot.

Senphet

Smash Rookie
Confused.

Sorry, I'm confused. Is the best way to advance with SHL (or SHB) dash, SHL asap and let the momentum carry you, then repeat, or is it better to run (not dash) towards, SH and hold forward, release foraward and the laser fast fall?

Also, when retreating is 'WD back SHL, WD back SHL...' the best choice?

Thanks.

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's probably best to dash forward SH while running, let go of a direction, press b, hold down to ff. That's one complete SHL, after that, it's really up to you. If you want to move forward again, do the same, you could also just SHL from standing or of course, you could do something else.

D

Deleted member

I'll try 'bling'. 'Bling-bling' has too many syllables. Besides, the slang has done what it usually does:

1. black guy makes term
2. white guy learns and uses term
3. white guy overplays it

So I think bling is just fine. Heh fox is fangsta. Shoot, run, and bling.

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
Fast SHL

I saw a video of NEO vs. MoF and a video of Wes vs. Dave and noticed that they were SHLing like crazy. Dave was spamming lasers almost as fast as Fox does. Neo could lunge across the stage with smoke coming under him and still spam lasers. Even my friends noticed that they SHL a lot faster than me and I know I'm fast falling. I hope that your suggestion in part #3 is where I need to work at- but is there anything else I'm missing? Thanks.

Rye

Smash Journeyman
"anything to add?"

How about turn around lasering? I'm finding that hard to do consistently.

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
Turn around lasering. Forgot about that ^^.

About the speeding up, it's something that is hard to break. Not until about half a year ago did I realize I was ****ing up my SHB by not reacting fast enough to it. I found my game to increase tenfold when I started jumping asap. Try jumping until you're pressing jump so fast you don't jump(still can't enter a command), and then go slower bit by bit until you find that breakpoint. Start fast, though.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I honestly hate semicolons, and go out of my way not to use them. I don't even know why, but ever since I could read I've had a bias against semicolons. If something is two sentences, then make it two sentences, no need to make them Siamese twins.

The rest of the guide was good though.

Oro

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by McFox
I honestly hate semicolons, and go out of my way not to use them. I don't even know why, but ever since I could read I've had a bias against semicolons. If something is two sentences, then make it two sentences; no need to make them Siamese twins.

The rest of the guide was good though.
fixt

Crash

Smash Journeyman
I just want to point out that when you use a semicolon, the next word is supposed to be capitalized; Kind of like when i capitalize on n00bs who don't smell nearly as fresh as they should.

Rye

Smash Journeyman
That's untrue. Semicolons do not proc capitalization. Semicolons join an independent clause with another independent OR dependent clause.

Independet = sentence by itself
dependent = cannot stand on its own as a sentence

some grammar experts think of semicolons as "more powerful commas". They can seperate stuff that commas shouldn't be able to, like this sentence for example.

Crash

Smash Journeyman
****, you're right. i wonder where i learned that it was supposed to be capitalized... it certainly isn't my fault!

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
I strongly dislike semicolons but unfortunately I have to learn them (**** SATs) - just about every other question on the writing portion has a semicolon in it. :(

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
Originally posted by -West Coast Wes-
Sad post man. Sorry, a big waste of time. Something so simple doesnt need to be made so complex.
Wes, I bet I'd school you at a SHBing compitition. Some people need to have it broke down, and in order to attain maximum ability with the SHB, you NEED to pay attention to detail. End. Of. Story. In every profession, in order to become the best you can, you must pay attention to details.

You're post is hot :D. Like cajun sauce.

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
Heck I thought it was worth it. It's especially useful to new Falco players, so no it wasn't a waste of time.

Thomaz

Smash Lord
I'll try to make good use of it, it's been a while that I played Falco. But first, let's get my game back. ;_;

Also, semicolons can be useful for the smilies too! :"

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
The reason it's not is because this thread was made before the Character Specific forums were. However, I have now moved it appropriately.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
FIRST of all, it's shl. laser, not blaster methinks
and, why do i not see the rshl+shl technique? shl torwards someone, rshl away, blah. this is incomplete :(
just update it some more. try to have shb on each character and thing's u should take note of. like, shb on cfalcon n fox- take note of the fact that it ruins there quick approaches and ground game. except, go much more in depth :)
EDIT: it should be sticked to end all of these, "should i shl?" threads

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
OMG. WTF happened.

Yeah, I made this thread back when there weren't very many good falco players. Back then it was SULTANOFSAMITUDE and Dave, Rob$ was just getting big @_@. So.... there weren't as many SHB threads, but I was on DC++ a lot then. I remember explaining the exact same thing to like... 10 people in a week so I wrote this. It didn't get moved/stickied when the forums switched into super character forums, so I was chill :)

Thanks Mic_Fox125!

goblin

Smash Journeyman
hey im the one who bumped it - i saw u link to this thread in some other thread, read thru it, and realized it was a good resource. so here it is, revisited after a year or so

Top Bottom