• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Overlooked Report Button

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Did you know you can actually report troublesome players online? After a match online, if you tap any player's panel on the results screen, you can bring up their profile. There's also a handy report button if you need it!

I just accidentally discovered this, as the game makes no mention of this feature. Figured I should at least spread the word so that any bothersome opponents can face justice.

Spirst

Out of curiosity, what, according to you, necessitates reporting someone? I've never seen a need myself.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
People griefing, not playing, poor sportsmanship... Just being a nuisance, really.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I saw somebody transform into warioman twice in a match, first time was with smash ball, second time was without anything.I assume somebody reported him because he was gone after that match. Not sure how he did it, are there hacking devices for the 3ds now?

Last edited:

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
LOL, no I did not know about this. Not that I have needed such a feature yet, but hey, at least they have the option. Now if only I had an option to change the item spawn frequency of the feature instead being used as one of the many "perks" of buying a Wii U and Smash U (which I had already planned on doing long ago, dern it Nintendo)

Last edited:

Wyverian

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-6896-8093
Time to ban some trolls!! i found out about this last week actually. The downside is you may have trolls who will report you if you reck them.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
No idea. But now you know to deal with it, because cheating breaks online conduct.

Spirst

Does anyone know how reporting is facilitated? For example, as said above, if I get reported for wrecking someone, what actions are taken, if any?

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
This is actually extremely helpful. Didn't know about this. It's pretty rare to actually find a legit reason to report someone, but today I came across someone and I'm pretty convinced they were using a gc control mod on their 3ds.

Does reporting someone have a reason for reporting, or can you report people freely. If it's the latter, people will be abusing it like crazy.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
They said back in the April Direct that baseless reporting would be punishable. So, there's probably someone or something that looks into a report. But relentless targeting is a reportable offense. No idea what constitutes "relentless".

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
I too wonder how the report system works. I mean...if someone reports you only because you beat the **** out of them, what actions are taken against it if anything if enough people do it? Is it ignored, does someone view the report or is it just stored in a system or something. It'll be very easy to abuse the report system if someone doesn't look into it. I wonder what the punishment would be for abusing the report system.

This is actually extremely helpful. Didn't know about this. It's pretty rare to actually find a legit reason to report someone, but today I came across someone and I'm pretty convinced they were using a gc control mod on their 3ds.

Does reporting someone have a reason for reporting, or can you report people freely. If it's the latter, people will be abusing it like crazy.
When you hit report, I think they give you a short explanation of what it's for: inappropriate playing. As in, repeatedly SDing, not really playing, etc. You don't get to put a reason for it though.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
They must have a huge staff checking the reports, because I'm sure they get them all the time.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I too wonder how the report system works. I mean...if someone reports you only because you beat the **** out of them, what actions are taken against it if anything if enough people do it? Is it ignored, does someone view the report or is it just stored in a system or something. It'll be very easy to abuse the report system if someone doesn't look into it. I wonder what the punishment would be for abusing the report system.

When you hit report, I think they give you a short explanation of what it's for: inappropriate playing. As in, repeatedly SDing, not really playing, etc. You don't get to put a reason for it though.
This is good enough, let's you express yourself at least. Thanks for the info.

What comes up in the profile info? I didn't know you could look at people's profiles.
I don't know why I'm asking, I should just go check for myself.

Last edited:

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
Does anyone know how reporting is facilitated? For example, as said above, if I get reported for wrecking someone, what actions are taken, if any?
"Report this player? They will be banned from furyer online matches" I'm not sure if they check to see if the report is legit, or what. But that's all it says.

Spirst

This is good enough, let's you express yourself at least. Thanks for the info.

What comes up in the profile info? I didn't know you could look at people's profiles.
I don't know why I'm asking, I should just go check for myself.
The message they set in the internet options profile thing as well as where they're from. For example, if anyone tries looking at mine, it'll say "smashboards.com" which I'm hoping will direct them here if they're interested in communicating with me.

"Report this player? They will be banned from furyer online matches" I'm not sure if they check to see if the report is legit, or what. But that's all it says.
Wow, if that's really all it takes, it's an awful and completely unfair system.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Just their message, avatar, and location.

Oh, and you can block players, too! So if someone really is irritating, you can say good bye to them!

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
The message they set in the internet options profile thing as well as where they're from. For example, if anyone tries looking at mine, it'll say "smashboards.com" which I'm hoping will direct them here if they're interested in communicating with me.

Wow, if that's really all it takes, it's an awful and completely unfair system.
That smashboards thing is a really good idea.
Just their message, avatar, and location.

Oh, and you can block players, too! So if someone really is irritating, you can say good bye to them!
The block players thing is very useful too. You may have just saved my future online experience. Thanks for this thread.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Of course. It's no fun fighting trouble makers over again.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Did you know you can actually report troublesome players online? After a match online, if you tap any player's panel on the results screen, you can bring up their profile. There's also a handy report button if you need it!

I just accidentally discovered this, as the game makes no mention of this feature. Figured I should at least spread the word so that any bothersome opponents can face justice.
Well it's not like you can report spammy players in for Glory Mode. If that's not the case, then what is there to report?

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
You can pretty much report anyone. I'd only report people that don't play, or exploit the game like the infinite combo with ZSS
Infinite combos with ZZS, and on FD? That's possible? Wut?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I saw somebody transform into warioman twice in a match, first time was with smash ball, second time was without anything.I assume somebody reported him because he was gone after that match. Not sure how he did it, are there hacking devices for the 3ds now?
If a player is falling behind they just spawn with their final smash ready to go. This was a feature in Brawl as well.

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunate that one can't give a reason, really. Personally, I sometimes report people who are AFK for the entire game (I do often wait a second at the start for lag to settle and to be sure I have an opponent at the controller), those who SD twice without playing at all multiple matches in a row, who only roll or otherwise run without attacking at all... or who are annoying with taunts, to be honest. By all means, taunt that falcon punch you edgeguard with in midair, but taunting a KO punch in a lagspike when you're down a stock and 100%? Or who taunt lag-based SDs, for that matter... None are any 'always' thing, but disrespectful play in general's a great way to get an occasional report-- though I'm much more likely to simply block if their main grievance is 'being annoying'.

I'll certainly admit to one or two reports being entirely the result of rage at an unplayable amount of lag or some truly stupid tactic (rolling Samuses if I happen to lack a quick roll punish is the only that comes to mind), I honestly can't say I've used it even a dozen times in the few hundred 'For Glory' games I've played. Though, I don't understand the point of it even existing in 'For Fun'-- if you didn't want item-y stage-decided chaos, you're in the wrong mode. Also, if someone's sufficiently behind, they get a free smash ball if items are on-- that's a known mechanic rather than any cheating.

That said, I've certainly blocked people before for no greater offense than 'only used a single move no matter how many games in a row I punished it in exactly the same way...' That just gets to be dreadfully boring, and I don't see a point to playing with someone who can neither help me improve nor make for a fun match.

Though, I will admit to panic-reporting the first Little Mac who pulled of the Nair gimp before I knew it was a thing-- though I've never been so unlucky as to encounter the ZSS infinite as Robin.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
Well it's not like you can report spammy players in for Glory Mode. If that's not the case, then what is there to report?
Well...you get those people who constantly SD in team battle, that's something to report. You can also report the person not actively playing and the likes. It's used for all modes and it's for whatever you would consider "inappropriately playing".

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Well...you get those people who constantly SD in team battle, that's something to report. You can also report the person not actively playing and the likes. It's used for all modes and it's for whatever you would consider "inappropriately playing".
Well I don't ever do team battles, only did that twice and that was it since this post, so I guess I haven't experienced what you might have.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
I would mail nintendo $$$ if they could develop a viable "spam/scrub/salt/lame" reporting feature that resulted in players not running to their keyboard fresh off of another defeat, eyes full of tears, to cry whine and complain about their woes on smash boards because *insert player complaint here* lol

/sarcastic wish

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I was not aware of this. Although I don't see myself needing to use this much at all, unless someone is obviously cheating (which I have yet to see or expect to see anytime soon)

1v1 the worst someone can do is very meaningless.
I guess it has a place for 2v2s though. As it is a bit more of a buzz kill when you see someone else get dragged down.

Ty for sharing though, put that in the old vigilante batman belt for troll justice.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Reporting someone earlier: Successful.

Who in the heck is gonna figure out to do that? I'm not sure the majority knows about it. Plus, it probably takes multiple reports on the same person for it to take in effect. And how many people who know about that feature will successfully get that person banned?

Ah well.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Just curuious, but how did you figure this out?
Well, I don't know for a fact that they were modded. But I've convinced myself that they were.
They were doing things like perfect dashdancing and retreating bairs. My two options are that they had complete and perfect control over their game and their hands work like gods, or they were using an apparatus that isn't the norm. I might just be overly salting here, but I really think that they were using a gc controller. I don't have any replays, but the user's name was UGC S2H.

TheGingerRussian

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGingerRussian
3DS FC
1504-5955-1641
Well, I don't know for a fact that they were modded. But I've convinced myself that they were.
They were doing things like perfect dashdancing and retreating bairs. My two options are that they had complete and perfect control over their game and their hands work like gods, or they were using an apparatus that isn't the norm. I might just be overly salting here, but I really think that they were using a gc controller. I don't have any replays, but the user's name was UGC S2H.
A quick Google search for that name led to this:

As well as that, this Twitch channel was at the top of the results:
http://www.twitch.tv/datzantho/c/4939992

The related videos also show Brawl and/or Project M matches with this player. Do with that what you will.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Can't watch the video because the network's safety mode is on.

the8thark

Smash Lord
This seems like someone lost a few matches in a row to someone and as revenge for losing, reports the person.
Time for people to accept loses and use them to become a better player and not act all childish and race to report anyone better than they are.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
This seems like someone lost a few matches in a row to someone and as revenge for losing, reports the person.
Time for people to accept loses and use them to become a better player and not act all childish and race to report anyone better than they are.
Are you referring to a specific person or are you saying that this is what people are making the report button's purpose.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Are you referring to a specific person or are you saying that this is what people are making the report button's purpose.
I am just talking in general here. I am saying that this is what people are making the report button's purpose.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
tbh i wish you never revealed this.
Now i fear people doing false reports because they lost. With Nintendo's already proven flawed "banning" system, i imagine they will ban people from a report without even looking at said report/game.

Though it will be nice when you meet someone that just dodges you all game and doesnt even try to fight. So annoying.

Top Bottom