• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I've done my part. Dixie and K. Rool both deserve to be playable. It shouldn't be a one or the other type situation. :/

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
I've done my part. Dixie and K. Rool both deserve to be playable. It shouldn't be a one or the other type situation. :/
Honestly I would be in support of k rool being in if they put him on a diet for this game. He's so morbidly obese it's hard for me to picture him running and doing aerials and such.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Yeah, they really should both be in. It's bizarre to me that DK only has 2 reps in Smash 4.

I voted for Dixie, but I'm rooting for the K. Rool fans too. My main hope is that the DK fanbase makes a really strong showing and gets a lot of attention.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
Yeah, they really should both be in. It's bizarre to me that DK only has 2 reps in Smash 4.

I voted for Dixie, but I'm rooting for the K. Rool fans too. My main hope is that the DK fanbase makes a really strong showing and gets a lot of attention.
The 2 reps really surprised me as well, considering how popular DK's most recent games are. I really loved Returns and Tropical Freeze.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
It still baffles me that DK had no newcomers in the initial roster and no Assist Trophies. Dixie and K. Rool were definitely popular in Japan, according to ChronoBound's research circa 2012, when Sakurai was deciding the roster. Other characters on that list were Mega Man, Shulk, and Palutena, all of which made it into the initial game. The only thing that I can think of is that Sakurai considers DK to be a Mario spin-off series and thought that any DK characters in addition to Rosalina and Bowser Jr. would be too much (though, I hope this isn't the case).

xWolfiex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xWolfie55x
3DS FC
2982-1721-1850
I already voted for Dixie Kong and support this idea all the way.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I voted for Dixie.

I put in the good word for an animla buddy based moveset or at least Rambi as her Final Smash.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
It still baffles me that DK had no newcomers in the initial roster and no Assist Trophies. Dixie and K. Rool were definitely popular in Japan, according to ChronoBound's research circa 2012, when Sakurai was deciding the roster. Other characters on that list were Mega Man, Shulk, and Palutena, all of which made it into the initial game. The only thing that I can think of is that Sakurai considers DK to be a Mario spin-off series and thought that any DK characters in addition to Rosalina and Bowser Jr. would be too much (though, I hope this isn't the case).
My completely unrealistic hope is that Sakurai wanted to add both K. Rool and Dixie but couldn't finish both in time and didn't want to add only one to the game with the other being DLC, so he saved them both for DLC.

It could happen. Right?

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
My completely unrealistic hope is that Sakurai wanted to add both K. Rool and Dixie but couldn't finish both in time and didn't want to add only one to the game with the other being DLC, so he saved them both for DLC.

It could happen. Right?
Anything could happen, theoretically. Is it a likely scenario? I don't know about that, but I sure hope so. :p

cybersai

Smash Ace

It could happen. Right?
Its quite possible Dixie was originally worked on but then abandoned in the middle of development. There were a lot of rumors that Dixie had a "moving model" in the game.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I voted for Dixie Kong, I don't know why I had such high hopes for her originally but when the final roster was leaked and she wasn't there, I was devastated! Hopefully she gets her chance as dlc.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Alright, the site finally worked again and I voted for Dixie Kong. My two votes were for Inkling and Dixie. Sorry Ridley. Not gonna vote anymore, because I think that kind of goes against the purpose of the Ballot.
Especially when Fire Emblem gets four reps. I bet DK would have four reps by now as well, if the cast of the games were composed of "hot" anime characters.

Last edited:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I voted for Dixie Kong, I don't know why I had such high hopes for her originally but when the final roster was leaked and she wasn't there, I was devastated! Hopefully she gets her chance as dlc.
OMG yes welcome to my world! All of those "leaks" got my hopes sky high! I thought for sure she would be in then when she wasn't my world just fell apart HARD! Then only to see that Dr. Mario, female Marth, and dark pit were actually characters stomped all over what was left of my poor heart lol. Oh now add Lucas to the mix. Even though Dixie has good potential to NOT be a Diddy clone so what if she ends up being one it's not like Smash 4 isn't simi clones galore as is so if she ends up not getting in I'm not even going to know what to think.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
OMG yes welcome to my world! All of those "leaks" got my hopes sky high!
You know what was heart-breaking for me? They did that smash announcement right on top of Valentine's day and I was so sure it was gonna be a Diddy/Dixie kind of thing.

Especially when Fire Emblem gets four reps. I bet DK would have four reps by now as well, if the cast of the games were composed of "hot" anime characters.
Yeah, it really doesn't sit right with me that Kid Icarus even has more characters than DK. Like... what is going on there? O.o I'm not trying to hate on Kid Icarus, but when you compare those two series it's not even close.

The 2 reps really surprised me as well, considering how popular DK's most recent games are. I really loved Returns and Tropical Freeze.
Yeah. :( I was really hoping because of how great Returns was, and how promising TF looked, they were gonna give DK some really nice love.

Luckily we're getting the chance to give the DK fanbase a voice. That's the best thing about all this. :)

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
OMG yes welcome to my world! All of those "leaks" got my hopes sky high! I thought for sure she would be in then when she wasn't my world just fell apart HARD! Then only to see that Dr. Mario, female Marth, and dark pit were actually characters stomped all over what was left of my poor heart lol. Oh now add Lucas to the mix. Even though Dixie has good potential to NOT be a Diddy clone so what if she ends up being one it's not like Smash 4 isn't simi clones galore as is so if she ends up not getting in I'm not even going to know what to think.
I agree, the main reason I want her in now is because I was so sure she'd be added to the roster initially, but then it was like "oh, a bunch of characters I've never heard of, ok". Not to say the roster isn't great, but the lack of DK representation is hard to ignore.

I just really hope we can pull together and get her added as dlc, because I swear to god if shovel knight gets in I'm switching to melee

Reila

Wait, Shovel Knight?

I love his game, but I really can't see any of those indie characters (Shovel, Shantae, Patricia Wagon, etc) getting into Super Smash Bros.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Wait, Shovel Knight?

I love his game, but I really can't see any of those indie characters (Shovel, Shantae, Patricia Wagon, etc) getting into Super Smash Bros.
I personally could see it; Shovel Knight seems to fit the Smash aesthetic, at least as much as Pac-Man, Sonic, and Mega Man do, imo. Same with Shantae. If there is enough fan demand and Sakurai is up for it, I could see it happening. However, as much as I like Shantae, she could take the role of being a hair-based fighter away from Dixie, which I am not OK with. As for Shovel Knight, I don't care either way; as long as I get Dixie and possibly K. Rool first.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
3rd Parties might not be eligible if going by official Twitter and Facebook pages of Nintendo if I remember correctly (mostly from Europe).

And while I love Shovel Knight, I'm really doubting indie games could be considered, especially when compared to more popular Nintendo-character requests with longer history and more active fanbases.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
3rd Parties might not be eligible if going by official Twitter and Facebook pages of Nintendo if I remember correctly (mostly from Europe).

And while I love Shovel Knight, I'm really doubting indie games could be considered, especially when compared to more popular Nintendo-character requests with longer history and more active fanbases.
Yeah, I've seen those posts floating around. I'm hoping this is the case, because that means much less competition. If 3rd parties are not taken into account, then Dixie should have a major horse in this race. She may not get as many requests as characters like K. Rool, Isaac, Wolf, or Roy, but she still is a notable figure whenever I see this poll mentioned anywhere. Plus, I personally don't think she needs that much demand to be considered when compared to the more popular characters. She has recently been revived in the DK franchise in Tropical Freeze and all of the recent Virtual Console re-releases of Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong Land, she has been considered for Smash before, and while she may not be the most requested character in this poll, there is still notable fan demand for her. She may just need that extra push from fans for Sakurai to consider her for DLC.

That being said, fan demand is still important, and we need as many people as possible to step up and vote for Dixie. The more votes we get, the better. I think that putting "Vote for Dixie" messages on the Miiverse pages of Tropical Freeze, DKC2/3, and DKL2/III would be a good idea, but I don't think we should go overboard and become obnoxious. We don't want to give Dixie fans a bad reputation.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I hope Sakurai is cool with having two dlc newcomers from the same franchise. I'm really doubting it, but man would it be cool to have both her and to King together.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Could you link where they said that, I don't see it on their twitter or anything

Reila

I personally could see it; Shovel Knight seems to fit the Smash aesthetic, at least as much as Pac-Man, Sonic, and Mega Man do, imo. Same with Shantae. If there is enough fan demand and Sakurai is up for it, I could see it happening. However, as much as I like Shantae, she could take the role of being a hair-based fighter away from Dixie, which I am not OK with. As for Shovel Knight, I don't care either way; as long as I get Dixie and possibly K. Rool first.
I don't know. Letting characters like Shovel Knight and Shantae into Smash feels weird to me, but then again... Robin, Lucina, etc... Bah, those indie characters are certainly better than freaking Bayonetta at least. But first I'd rather have Inkling and Dixie Kong as DLC...

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
I don't know. Letting characters like Shovel Knight and Shantae into Smash feels weird to me, but then again... Robin, Lucina, etc... Bah, those indie characters are certainly better than freaking Bayonetta at least. But first I'd rather have Inkling and Dixie Kong as DLC...
Seeing what people want is kinda scary, I'm really hoping nintendo doesn't cave to peoples wishes and put a bunch of awkward 3rd party indie characters in this game, but I seriously doubt they would do that.

not to talk bad about anyone, I love characters like Quote but I just don't think they're the right fit for smash.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
I don't think ANY third party characters would be considered for DLC, much less indie game characters. I think people voting for third party characters are wasting their vote. I mean they're free to vote for whoever they want and good for them, but I don't think they can realistically expect anything.

Dixie's biggest competition is King K. Rool unless Sakurai is generous enough to give two characters from the same series DLC.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I don't think ANY third party characters would be considered for DLC, much less indie game characters. I think people voting for third party characters are wasting their vote. I mean they're free to vote for whoever they want and good for them, but I don't think they can realistically expect anything.

Dixie's biggest competition is King K. Rool unless Sakurai is generous enough to give two characters from the same series DLC.

Hmmm... Did anyone else see that tweet from Microsoft?
"I think it would be cool if Banjo was in the next SSB DLC. We've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP before, no issues." — Phil Spencer

It's looking like alot of folks are switching gears and trying to get Banjo in now which would be super exciting but I wouldn't want him in before Dixie. Anyone think there's a chance that it might turn into K Rool vs Banjo and knock Dixie off the list?

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Honestly I have a feeling Dixie has been more or less done for a long time now and they are just waiting for the right moment to reveal her. I doubt this poll will have any effect on her chances as in. She's on her way and I can feel it! Feel it like its right in the back of my neck!

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
It's looking like alot of folks are switching gears and trying to get Banjo in now which would be super exciting but I wouldn't want him in before Dixie. Anyone think there's a chance that it might turn into K Rool vs Banjo and knock Dixie off the list?
That's interesting. A lot of DK fans are old Banjo fans as well (I'm one of them!), since Rare did such phenomenal job with both series back in their golden era.

I'd love Banjo to get in, honestly, but I think Microsoft and Nintendo working together on anything this important is a little trickier than his tweet implies. When they've worked on Rare IP in the past, it was stuff like licensing the DKC games on virtual console. But it's worth pointing out that you can't play BK or BT on the virtual console, and you can on Xbox.

Microsoft would certainly love to have one of their characters appear in a competitor's biggest console title - who wouldn't love that opportunity? :D But I think Nintendo's probably a little less excited about doing significant advertising for a competitor. Especially if there is a Banjo 3 in the works. (There probably isn't though, I dunno why I get my hopes up. : >)

I hope Sakurai is cool with having two dlc newcomers from the same franchise. I'm really doubting it, but man would it be cool to have both her and to King together.
Wouldn't it be awesome if they did a "DK DLC" expansion pack, kind of how Mario Kart is about to release an Animal Crossing-themed expansion, with AC stages, characters and cars?

They could do K. Rool, Dixie, and then a level from a classic DK game (maybe the pirate ships from DKC2) and a level from DK Tropical Freeze.

I'm just dreaming now, but man, that'd be awesome! And it'd totally repair the void that the DK series currently has in smash, being underrepresented n' stuff.

I should stop talking before I get my hopes up any further. <_<;

Seeing what people want is kinda scary, I'm really hoping nintendo doesn't cave to peoples wishes and put a bunch of awkward 3rd party indie characters in this game, but I seriously doubt they would do that.

not to talk bad about anyone, I love characters like Quote but I just don't think they're the right fit for smash.
Yeah, I totally agree. Indie characters are adorable and I love 'em (the captain from VVVVVV is my favorite, haha), but it'd feel really unfair to put a character like Shovel Knight into the game over Nintendo vets.

And some of the stuff people vote for is pretty unsettling!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly I have a feeling Dixie has been more or less done for a long time now and they are just waiting for the right moment to reveal her. I doubt this poll will have any effect on her chances as in. She's on her way and I can feel it! Feel it like its right in the back of my neck!
I am really hoping that she still can get in despite the overwhelming amount of votes King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie have compared to hers.

And if Banjo-Kazooie gets in, they better have their original N64-era designs, not that ugly blocky redesigns they had in that Xbox game. Kinda like how Pac-Man has his original arcade/NES/Pac-Man World design and not the Ghostly Adventures redesign.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Same here. Lucas has really given me that confidence that they'll throw in some more semi-clones. Wolf is an obvious next step, but Dixie is most likely the very first actual semi-clone newcomer. And that's why I'm hardly focussing on voting for her on the Ballot, cause K.Rool, Isaac and Impa need the votes more I think. But am really excited for her to come back to! If she doesn't come back now, there's something seriously wrong...

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Same here. Lucas has really given me that confidence that they'll throw in some more semi-clones. Wolf is an obvious next step, but Dixie is most likely the very first actual semi-clone newcomer. And that's why I'm hardly focussing on voting for her on the Ballot, cause K.Rool, Isaac and Impa need the votes more I think. But am really excited for her to come back to! If she doesn't come back now, there's something seriously wrong...
I can't link yet because my account is still premature but Dixie isn't in the game yet and in my opinion I think it's a bad move to not support based on assumption if she truly is someone you would want to see in the game. If she is not your top priority then lol disregard anything I have said.

But looking at things as a whole I think she is starting to lose votes because of that Banjo tweet according to another poll I saw with about 4,500 votes. So, I personally am definitely throwing as many votes her way by trying to spread the word just as support and to be on the safe side. Other polls I have seen around here and Reddit alike show Issac and K Rool both have more support over Dixie currently. I mean their threads on here are like twice as big 5+ times as big as this one too. I'm just trying to play it safe until I see actual hints that she will be in or actual results. Can never be too safe. :ohwell:

Last edited:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I'm just hoping to GOD that if Banjo and Kazooie get in it's not the ******** Nuts n Bolts character model.

Last edited:

Reila

I actually kinda like their models from Nuts 'n' Bolts.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Looking at Lucas and Mewtwo; I have a feeling that Sakurai is not looking to put huge amounts of effort making new and interesting movesets for the rest of the DLC candidates and will make them clonish given the chance. So, if Dixie manages a DLC spot, I expect a Diddy clone with her ponytail integrated to her upB, dash attack and tail attacks.
A. K. A. the "She-hoo-hah".

Reila

Lucas and Mewtwo are both veterans, so I am not sure what their movesets are supposed to prove. We are yet to get a newcomer as DLC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom