• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Opposition of FD as the "Go to competitive stage"

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I see alot of hate for it and im just curious why?

I always see it this way.

Its easier to balance ever character for one stage than it is for 20 different.
I personally think a FD only meta could work wonders since counter stages was way to messy a system.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
My understanding I believe it comes from two places, first the fact that FD is not the only competitive netural stage and that it is being pushed as such. The second seems to be that some people feel it's pushing unfair stereotypes of the Competitive based aka the no items/fox only/final destination.

That's probably hte main thing I've been getting out of it.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
My understanding I believe it comes from two places, first the fact that FD is not the only competitive netural stage and that it is being pushed as such. The second seems to be that some people feel it's pushing unfair stereotypes of the Competitive based aka the no items/fox only/final destination.

That's probably hte main thing I've been getting out of it.
Yeah i see those often to.

Im noticing now that sakurai is building certain character with better ground games as well.
So if FD ends up the most balanced stage i can see BF actually ruining those characters that want to keep there feet firmly on the ground.

BiscuitTricks

Smash Rookie
To add to Dragini's comment, there's also the fact that, historically, FD is not entirely neutral for the whole roster. If chaingrabbing makes its way back, which is very possible, it skews the stage in favor of a select group of characters vs other characters, which limits which characters people will want to play as on FD. Platforms add options and don't really take anything away, which is why a Battlefield mode would have been cooler than an FD mode, in my opinion.

Plus, besides CGs, no platforms skews the style of play for some characters.

Last edited:

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
A completely flat stage is a major benefit for some characters, while it makes things more difficult for other characters. It's not fair or balanced at all.

For Glory Mode should really have a variety of stages. But if it can only have 1, then it should be Battlefield, not FD.

SnappyJ

Smash Cadet
NNID
SnappyJ
I think a lot of people are averse to FD only because it seems to condone a more campy style of play since there are no platforms to break up and escape more campy characters. But I think that the slight variances each FD style stage seem to have will good enough for online play. I'm just happy they are making a competitive option for online multiplayer!

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I agree that it probably should have been Battlefield,
but I agree with Sakurai's decision, because this is the easiest way to appease the majority of people.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Another thing to consider is if we try meshing all of these "Final Destination" stages into the tournament ruleset, its going to give a huge advantage to players who want to go to FD.

Perhaps when it comes to the stage list, all versions of FD can be categorized under the same stage, so if somebody bans one of them during stage picking, they ban all of them. And if a person counterpicks FD, they can go to the specific FD version of their choice? Thats how I think it should work imo

Also I think, Sakurai decided on FD being the For Glory mode standard, because if you add platforms, where exactly do you draw the line? So he just drew a firm line into completely no distractions at all. Just you and the opponent.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Because the game isn't actually being balanced around FD anyway? Sakurai already stated how he balances the games.

He Starts out with FD and then slowly moves up to other stages and elements.

FD is also historically known for being in favor of characters with projectiles, CGs, and good ground games. FD isn't good enough to be the only allowed stage for tournaments.

It works for For Glory mode because it is probably targets more towards the casual-competitive player and is meant to be more of a bone throw to the competitive community then to be a actual standard.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
What I don't understand about this is that there are complaints about it being featured in For Glory mode, a mode where you can play with anyone around the world, not with friends. It's not like you can directly communicate with someone from far away and choose if you want a Battlefield or a Final Destination form and make a counterpick like you typically do with friends or local, or is there something I'm missing here?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I won't oppose a FD only metagame until we see more of the game. It really depends on how well it's balanced and if it's really being balanced for FD only or not.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
A completely flat stage is a major benefit for some characters, while it makes things more difficult for other characters. It's not fair or balanced at all.

For Glory Mode should really have a variety of stages. But if it can only have 1, then it should be Battlefield, not FD.
your speaking from a historical stand point im speaking from a new perspective until we play the game.

Stueyman2099

Smash Cadet

It is balanced though. It just results in a different metagame and tier list than what we have with BF etc. in rotation. It's a matter of perspective.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I support a bf and fd based metagame. I think it's feasable and substantially more interesting than fd only. Remember, this is the premier, original, 'platform fighter'. Needs more platforms.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
Tournaments would normally be played in person and if it's online it would be via friends list so modes and stages can be altered so I don't think the competitive scene is really affected by this. It's just an online mode to play randoms, it's not really a big deal if you can only play FD. For this reason I think FD was a good choice, and still is good enough for a competitive match.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I don't think this thread has any value. The OP took a stand with this idea elsewhere and now wants to discuss here, so I see this as really a "Come at me bro" thread. Road Death Wheel isn't curious why most people are against a Final Destination only meta. He already knows why; We've already told him why in other threads. He just wants more attention and to argue.

We'll never have an actual FD-only meta. You can't reject precedent, experience, and a little bit of common sense just because it's a new game. We're only looking at a meta where tournament players might have more experience on Final Destination than average.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I don't think this thread has any value. The OP took a stand with this idea elsewhere and now wants to discuss here, so I see this as really a "Come at me bro" thread. Road Death Wheel isn't curious why most people are against a Final Destination only meta. He already knows why; We've already told him why in other threads. He just wants more attention and to argue.

We'll never have an actual FD-only meta. You can't reject precedent, experience, and a little bit of common sense just because it's a new game. We're only looking at a meta where tournament players might have more experience on Final Destination than average.
Iv seen many reason why and iv talked about it yes but my motives arent nearly as brutish as your think. i just want to explore this to its fullest.
But i also did it so i could talk about other things when i actually go to those threads. This is just a focused point of issue for discussion im sorry to have came off that way. Xd

Top Bottom