• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The only way Toriyama is getting a character in Smash: The Dragon Quest character support thread

zferolie

Smash Hero
800px-DQ_Series_logo.png

Geno seems like a shoe in for our second square enix rep. Popular, Sakurai wants him, and had a costume. But there is the distinct possibility SE doesn't want to have Geno in. He's from 1 game and thats it. They may want to give a rep to one of their other franchizes.. one that is more popular then Final Fantasy in japan. That series is Dragon quest. It is aboslutely HUGE in japan. 11 main title games, a MMO still going strong in japan for over 6 year, countless spin off games, and the classic art of Toriyama behind it. This series is SE's biggest by far in japan. So it only makes sense that a rep from this series joins the fight.

But who? like FF this game has no single character thats in every game (well 1 enemy but we'll get to him). Who among this whole roster should represent the series? I will list some good choices I like, but more are always welcome!

Slime(Dragon Quest Series)

Slime is the mascot of the DQ series. they are normal enemies in the DQ games, but their popularity is unmatched. They have been in every single DQ game, toys, plushies, they even got their own game in rocket slime. Slime is iconic enemy, and could be a great rep for this game.

How would they fight, well the Brawl in the family director made a great video about this subject

Also, slime itself has a thread on this board, so gonna link that here as well

Hero(Dragon Quest Series)

The titular main character of every dragon quest game. Making them like Bowser Jr and the koopalings could be a great idea. they honestly all have the same basic build, fight simuarly(mix of spells like Zap Zoom and Bang, with swords and other weapons, punches, and kicks), and this would be a great way to represent the series as a whole. Heck, with DQ 3 hero, maybe pick the female version of Erdrick as a choice as well?

They too also have a thread on this forum, so check them out for more info as well!

Bianka Whitaker(Dragon Quest 5)
250px-DQV_DS_Bianca.png

Bianka is one of the party members of Dragon Quest 5 and the cannon wife of the hero in it. She is also one of the most popular Dragon Quest characters in the whole series, appearing in multiple other games and is usally highly ranked in most popular characters from the series.

She could fight with either bows like she does in the Dragon quest warriors games, or be more traditional with either knives or staves, using her attacks from the game and spells like fizz or snooze. She could also call forth her and her husbands trusty sabercat for one of her B moves as well

Alena(Dragon Quest 4)
250px-DQIV_DS_Alena.png

Alena is one of the protags of DQ6, and could be veiwed as around the same popularity as Bianka appearing in multiple other games and crossovers. While she dresses like a mage, she really is a martial artist. As a princess she dreams of becoming the strongest fighter in the world, and she would love the chance to brawl it out in smash.

She would fight as a pure hand to hand fighter, using many skills from the game such as multifist, leg sweep, wind sickles, and Knucklesandwich. A key focus on her could be critical hits, as she in her game was special in that way. Perhaps her landing multiple punches in quick succession raises a chance for the next hit to be critical, and could be tied to a meter like Little macs. Maybe as she deals damage her base damage goes up, but she needs to keep that pass up as it will go down when not dealing damage.

Maya and Meena(Dragon quest 4)
330px-Maya.png
280px-MeenaDQIVDSArtwork.png

A pair of sisters from Dragon Quest 6. Maya is a dancer while Meena is a mage and fortune teller. Together the fight to avenge their father.

They could be an interesting play style, with Meena is in the back like Pokemon trainer. Maya attacks with her fans and dance moves for the normal A attacks. Meanwhile Meena supports Maya with the B specials.
B: has Meena starting to cast a buff spell, and pressing it again uses that spell. Maya can fight during it and the icon appears over Maya's head as the casting is going, so you know what would be cast) goes from Buff(defense to physical attacks), Accelerate(movement and jump boost), Oomph(Attack boost), Insulate(Defense against projectiles) and heal(small health recovery)
Side B: Sap Meena raises her hand and a wave of energy emanates out of Maya, if an enemy is hit they take damage and can be more easily launched for a short time.
Up B: Woosh. Meena forms a tornado around Maya sending her spinning up into the air.
Down B: Whack. Meena raises her crystal ball up, a moment later a beam of light flies down from the air in front of Maya, damage anyone hit from it.

FS: Puff! Meena chants and Maya jumps into the air, transforming into a dragon. she then pokes her head from the side of the screen and can move up and down for a bit, aiming. She can then fire a fast horizontal blast of fire out from her mouth damaging anyone hit by it.

And those are just some of the DQ characters I could think of. Who else would you guys want or think deserve to be in?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
IMO, having Koopaling style alts is way cooler than just one echo. I like this concept.

Support.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Geno seems like a shoe in for our second square enix rep. Popular, Sakurai wants him, and had a costume. But there is the distinct possibility SE doesn't want to have Geno in. He's from 1 game and thats it. They may want to give a rep to one of their other franchizes.. one that is more popular then Final Fantasy in japan. That series is Dragon quest. It is aboslutely HUGE in japan. 11 main title games, a MMO still going strong in japan for over 6 year, countless spin off games, and the classic art of Toriyama behind it. This series is SE's biggest by far in japan. So it only makes sense that a rep from this series joins the fight.

But who? like FF this game has no single character thats in every game (well 1 enemy but we'll get to him). Who among this whole roster should represent the series? I will list some good choices I like, but more are always welcome!

Slime(Dragon Quest Series)

Slime is the mascot of the DQ series. they are normal enemies in the DQ games, but their popularity is unmatched. They have been in every single DQ game, toys, plushies, they even got their own game in rocket slime. Slime is iconic enemy, and could be a great rep for this game.

How would they fight, well the Brawl in the family director made a great video about this subject

Also, slime itself has a thread on this board, so gonna link that here as well

Hero(Dragon Quest Series)

The titular main character of every dragon quest game. Making them like Bowser Jr and the koopalings could be a great idea. they honestly all have the same basic build, fight simuarly(mix of spells like Zap Zoom and Bang, with swords and other weapons, punches, and kicks), and this would be a great way to represent the series as a whole. Heck, with DQ 3 hero, maybe pick the female version of Erdrick as a choice as well?

They too also have a thread on this forum, so check them out for more info as well!

Bianka Whitaker(Dragon Quest 5)
View attachment 163374

Bianka is one of the party members of Dragon Quest 5 and the cannon wife of the hero in it. She is also one of the most popular Dragon Quest characters in the whole series, appearing in multiple other games and is usally highly ranked in most popular characters from the series.

She could fight with either bows like she does in the Dragon quest warriors games, or be more traditional with either knives or staves, using her attacks from the game and spells like fizz or snooze. She could also call forth her and her husbands trusty sabercat for one of her B moves as well

Alena(Dragon Quest 6)
View attachment 163373

Alena is one of the protags of DQ6, and could be veiwed as around the same popularity as Bianka appearing in multiple other games and crossovers. While she dresses like a mage, she really is a martial artist. As a princess she dreams of becoming the strongest fighter in the world, and she would love the chance to brawl it out in smash.

She would fight as a pure hand to hand fighter, using many skills from the game such as multifist, leg sweep, wind sickles, and Knucklesandwich. A key focus on her could be critical hits, as she in her game was special in that way. Perhaps her landing multiple punches in quick succession raises a chance for the next hit to be critical, and could be tied to a meter like Little macs. Maybe as she deals damage her base damage goes up, but she needs to keep that pass up as it will go down when not dealing damage.

Maya and Meena(Dragon quest 6)
View attachment 163371View attachment 163372

A pair of sisters from Dragon Quest 6. Maya is a dancer while Meena is a mage and fortune teller. Together the fight to avenge their father.

They could be an interesting play style, with Meena is in the back like Pokemon trainer. Maya attacks with her fans and dance moves for the normal A attacks. Meanwhile Meena supports Maya with the B specials.
B: has Meena starting to cast a buff spell, and pressing it again uses that spell. Maya can fight during it and the icon appears over Maya's head as the casting is going, so you know what would be cast) goes from Buff(defense to physical attacks), Accelerate(movement and jump boost), Oomph(Attack boost), Insulate(Defense against projectiles) and heal(small health recovery)
Side B: Sap Meena raises her hand and a wave of energy emanates out of Maya, if an enemy is hit they take damage and can be more easily launched for a short time.
Up B: Woosh. Meena forms a tornado around Maya sending her spinning up into the air.
Down B: Whack. Meena raises her crystal ball up, a moment later a beam of light flies down from the air in front of Maya, damage anyone hit from it.

FS: Puff! Meena chants and Maya jumps into the air, transforming into a dragon. she then pokes her head from the side of the screen and can move up and down for a bit, aiming. She can then fire a fast horizontal blast of fire out from her mouth damaging anyone hit by it.

And those are just some of the DQ characters I could think of. Who else would you guys want or think deserve to be in?
Jessica, for reasons obvious to most people, and Solo's female alt. Aside from them, I think you got the basics all covered.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Jessica, for reasons obvious to most people, and Solo's female alt. Aside from them, I think you got the basics all covered.
Yeah I meant to add Jessica. Just didn't think I had time to write her up before I had to leave work. I'll most likely edit her in.

Any other males people would want? don't want all ladies up there(though I don't mind) other then the hero

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah I meant to add Jessica. Just didn't think I had time to write her up before I had to leave work. I'll most likely edit her in.

Any other males people would want? don't want all ladies up there(though I don't mind) other then the hero
Oh yeah, there's Torneko, who managed to get his own game.

Also, Terry, who even starred in DQ Monsters, the totally-not-a-Pokémon-ripoff spin-off.

Oddball

Smash Lord
The only way Toriyama is getting a character in Smash?

Why do you hate Crono?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think if there were to be a single character picked, it would be Slime or Erdrick.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Huh, this is a very intriguing concept...

I support. :)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think if there were to be a single character picked, it would be Slime or Erdrick.
Sure enough, signs are pointing towards Erdrick, unless a completely different kind of Hero/Brave/Yuusha shows up.

I heard that Sakurai like Dragon Quest III a whole lot, so if confirmed, this is once again a choice of his own volition. If Eddy can get in, it might make asking for other DQ characters easier in the future, depending on whether he comes with more stuff than Cloud or not.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
IMO, having Koopaling style alts is way cooler than just one echo. I like this concept.

Support.
That’s what I want too. My choices would be:

Default - Erdrick (DQ3)
Alt 1 - DQ1 Hero
Alt 2 - DQ2 Hero
Alt 3 - DQ4 Hero
Alt 4 - DQ6 Hero
Alt 5 - DQ8 Hero
Alt 6 - DQ11 Hero
Alt 7 - DQ Builders Hero

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So we've officially got a Dragon Quest character in Smash now, specifically the Heroes from III, IV, VIII, and XI as one of the DLC characters.

I don't know if the DLC characters will ever be getting Echo Fighters, but if Hero were to get one, here's my take...
There's probably plenty of characters who would be good Echo Fighters for the Hero, but I think Erik from Dragon Quest XI would be a really good one.

Top Bottom