• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The online is not bad.

MC=3

Smash Cadet
I really don't see how 1/4 a second of button lag is going to make people "worse." If they had any competitive future in the first place, they'd know that real play is slightly faster. "Oh noes my snake's grenade exploded 1/4 a second earlier then I thought it would! Now my whole playstyle is screwed!" Find someone who's ever been in that situation, and I'll ask to have this thread locked. Unless you are playing on With Anyone (which makes people worse because the majority of with anyone frequenters suck) or playing someone in Australia or something when you live in California, the lag is thanks to YOUR Wi-Fi, not Nintendo's.

aaron123

Smash Cadet
I was going to make a comparison of SSBB online to a 90's online shooter, when I realized even those ran better back then than SSBB does on Wi-fi now.

To have SSBB run the way it does in 2008 is an extraordinary joke.

Septuagint

Smash Cadet
My problem is, they think that were playing without lag. You adjust, that's what a good gamer does. That's what someone who's good at anything does. Good Teacher's adjust to their class. Outdoor good b-ball players can compensate for the wind. Football players compensate for the wind. It's all about adjusting, if you can't adjust, then maybe you're not as good as you think. I would say you suck, but you may be good offline, but that's no reason to whine.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i agree...so there can be a few flaws but all in all i think it works fine...i think the lack of more options is more of a problem than connection hiccups

SummerObsession

Smash Apprentice
For some it does matter, try countering with Marth, where if it were in person you know the counter would work correctly but instead online the Counter gets buffered to after your flying away from a Smash. Your spacing and timing can be off online, if you play a character that dosen't mindlessly attacks. Half a second may not seem like alot to you, but to those player who can use that Half a second to dominate it is important.

Duckys

Smash Apprentice
Actually I found that playing online does pretty much reduce your quality of the play. You also can get those lag spikes in games which does effect everybody in the game room. The button lag actually does cause proberly it sometimes doesn't allow me to do quick smashes using the analog and the A button which is frustrating because I personally don't use the yellow analog stick, but its true I guess online isn't that bad but it is annoying that your unable to play to your best of your abilities.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
I really don't see how 1/4 a second of button lag is going to make people "worse." If they had any competitive future in the first place, they'd know that real play is slightly faster. "Oh noes my snake's grenade exploded 1/4 a second earlier then I thought it would! Now my whole playstyle is screwed!" Find someone who's ever been in that situation, and I'll ask to have this thread locked. Unless you are playing on With Anyone (which makes people worse because the majority of with anyone frequenters suck) or playing someone in Australia or something when you live in California, the lag is thanks to YOUR Wi-Fi, not Nintendo's.
Well said. You are a wise man.

"the lag is thanks to YOUR Wi-Fi, not Nintendo's." < that was a good slap in the face to anyone blaming the servers.

Timbers

check me out
Teching, counters, powershielding

I can go on but I don't really feel like arguing why 20-30 frames of input lag is severely annoying.

MxGm

Smash Cadet
I agree with this, but I guess that Nintendo MUST make their servers better. They have been like this a lot. I understand that most of the problems are with your own Wi-Fi, but I find it really hard just to find an opponent in the ''With Anyone'' function, and if it finds opponents, the lag is horrible because some guy is from Australia or Japan or whatever.

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
A 1/4 second of lag? That's 15 frames of animation! I don't know what game you're playing, but if you can stand 250 ms of lag, you're not playing SSBB. Heck, you're not even playing an FPS at that point, and you'd be lucky to be playing a MMORPG successfully.

I guess you could adjust to the lag and become good at online play, but do you really want to? It's a totally different game, which is more about guessing when lag will strike than mastering your reflexes.

Pai

Smash Cadet
NNID
Paestries
3DS FC
2036-7921-7608
I know. :<
People have no tolerance in SSB community. At. All. Geez. (Yes, I'm serious.)

Dubloh

Smash Rookie
I was going to make a comparison of SSBB online to a 90's online shooter, when I realized even those ran better back then than SSBB does on Wi-fi now.

To have SSBB run the way it does in 2008 is an extraordinary joke.

sounds like you need a ISP that doesn't suck ****. and if thats not it, get good friends who don't lag, problem solved, now stop whining

god ****, if you don't like it, don't play it, and sure as hell don't bug the people who enjoy it

Dark Nemesis

Smash Apprentice
Well, I can honestly saythat I've played many matches WITHOUT DELAY.

Yes, I'm aware of the buttonlags existence, but when I play aginst people who lives in the same city as me, I hardly excperience any form for lag/delay. BLUE CONNECTION FTW.

Master Raven

Smash Master
The online doesn't bother me except when I'm playing people from the west coast (I live in Florida). Hell, I actually play better when I play offline games (which may have to do with that I like to screw around in training mode a lot). I can easily adjust to the lag, even if I don't really get much for the most part.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
but I find it really hard just to find an opponent in the ''With Anyone'' function
Then your internet must be messed up, cause I don't have any trouble finding people to play. I mean really, it isn't that hard.

Top Bottom