• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The One Chop Technique?

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
This is a very interesting tech for Villager. Once I get back home, I'll test this out myself. Even if it's really specific to pull off, this is something worth learning as a Villager main.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
This is a very interesting tech for Villager. Once I get back home, I'll test this out myself. Even if it's really specific to pull off, this is something worth learning as a Villager main.
Just like the DIRTBUS <3

cept thats easier XP

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure we can do this consistently. After a couple of minutes of chopping down trees, I managed to perform the one chop more than 5 times in a row by short hopping and hitting the center of the leaves (while slightly moving forward). And sometimes even after I grew the tree, I waited a little bit, short hop into axe and it still went down in one chop. I don't think there is a specific time frame in which it works. After that, I went online and performed a one chop edge guard for a KO (after a couple of attempts). Unfortunately, I haven't gotten it anymore. Also, I think we should back up after watering the sprout and move forward while swinging the axe to hit the center of the leaves. Even when I hit the "sweet spot" the tree didn't go down.
Side note: I think the one chop method also gives us a higher chance of obtaining the wood chip or a fruit. Whenever I pulled it off, I got a wood chip every time and a fruit once (which is pretty rare I think)
Wow, congrats! That's how I've been doing it too, back up with watering can so I have enough space to move forward as I short-hop axe.
There's definitely no time frame, you can go hurl some slingshots and come back to perform the tech. How this tech works is still a bit of a mystery, we can only guess what the sweet spot is really... I wonder if there's files in the game about this that we probably can't access...I dunno, it seems hackers have been working faster and faster as time goes on.
As for the wood and fruit - interesting! While I did get some wood chips and a pear once I think, I've had just a few more times where there was no added effect. But I dunno, maybe I just haven't done it enough.
That kind of method is really risky, but it works amazing if you connect the one-chop.
The only issue with it is that it's hard to tell where you are due to the leaves.
I dunno, I feel more comfortable because when I jump at least I'm moving so opponents kinda havta catch me, y'know? And I've tried it grounded, but this is the only way I've been able to do it so far. Kinda my fav too, cause if it doesn't kill, I've got momentum moving forward so I can try to follow up with slingshots or something.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Wow, congrats! That's how I've been doing it too, back up with watering can so I have enough space to move forward as I short-hop axe.
There's definitely no time frame, you can go hurl some slingshots and come back to perform the tech. How this tech works is still a bit of a mystery, we can only guess what the sweet spot is really... I wonder if there's files in the game about this that we probably can't access...I dunno, it seems hackers have been working faster and faster as time goes on.
As for the wood and fruit - interesting! While I did get some wood chips and a pear once I think, I've had just a few more times where there was no added effect. But I dunno, maybe I just haven't done it enough.

I dunno, I feel more comfortable because when I jump at least I'm moving so opponents kinda havta catch me, y'know? And I've tried it grounded, but this is the only way I've been able to do it so far. Kinda my fav too, cause if it doesn't kill, I've got momentum moving forward so I can try to follow up with slingshots or something.
Yeah, I also move back as I water, then I run forward and chop :D tho I guess you short hop.

Also this technique would be super useful in doubles with a reflector partner like Zelda, since you can then repocket the tree faster, due to cutting it with one chop. <3

Last edited:

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
Yeah, I also move back as I water, then I run forward and chop :D tho I guess you short hop.

Also this technique would be super useful in doubles with a reflector partner like Zelda, since you can then repocket the tree faster, due to cutting it with one chop. <3
If you don't accidentally kill yourself.

Can't wait to practice this when my Mayflash adapter gets in. If I can master this quickly, it's gonna be quite a sight at Xanadu.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
If you don't accidentally kill yourself.

Can't wait to practice this when my Mayflash adapter gets in. If I can master this quickly, it's gonna be quite a sight at Xanadu.
Make sure your performance isn't choppy.

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
Guys. I found it. I FOUND THE F*CKING WAY TO DO IT ON WILL !!

We were all wrong. It's not about a frame perfect stuff or a sweetspot. It's about FREAKING TIME.
You all know that the Tree stay alive exactly 10 seconds before vanishing away if it is not cut down.
Well THE ONE CHOP TECHNIQUE ALWAYS WORKS EXACTLY WHEN YOU CUT THE TREE AT 5.00 SECONDS OF LIFETIME !!! (I used a chronometter at different time mark and the 5.00sec time mark is the only moment when the OCT works)

This is it. Bang. Now gimme some hard read video with One chop tree punish.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion

We were all wrong. It's not about a frame perfect stuff or a sweetspot. It's about FREAKING TIME.
You all know that the Tree stay alive exactly 10 seconds before vanishing away if it is not cut down.
Well THE ONE CHOP TECHNIQUE ALWAYS WORKS EXACTLY WHEN YOU CUT THE TREE AT 5.00 SECONDS OF LIFETIME !!! (I used a chronometter at different time mark and the 5.00sec time mark is the only moment when the OCT works)

...April Fools? Cause Ive seen people get it almost as soon as the tree grows and also after running around a bit and coming back to the tree. I've even done both. Time seemed to be sorta ruled out as a factor.
...April Fools, right? :o

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
...April Fools? Cause Ive seen people get it almost as soon as the tree grows and also after running around a bit and coming back to the tree. I've even done both. Time seemed to be sorta ruled out as a factor.
...April Fools, right? :o
It has to be xD We have hard proof otherwise

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358

Doubt this would work since usually the villager would have to be slightly away from tree center to pocket in time.

AlphaAustin

Smash Rookie
Sounds interesting I might have to give it a try and surprise people if I get any luck with consistency.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
This is something I put off for awhile.
I think I'm going to wait until after the update to learn, just to see if Nintendo patches it or not.

Xabulba

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2466-3468-3607
Oh man. I discovered this thread only last night and got it to work twice. Both while grounded. We're almost 160 posts in, but still without a semi-consistent way to do it.

It seems almost random to me. I got it by walking back, walking up to it then axing. I'm not exactly convinced that its a technique. But I've never seen it before in my tens of hours playing as Villager

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea

April fool. I'm sorry.

If only... :'(
tumblr_inline_mh3yzd8VCH1rpuj1d.gif

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Has anyone actually been able to do the one-chop trick since the new patch? I can't test right now, but when I tried last weekend, I got nothing. We better find out before patch notes are...well, done, pretty much.

Nintendoge_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bwooper
3DS FC
1306-6166-5014
Has anyone actually been able to do the one-chop trick since the new patch? I can't test right now, but when I tried last weekend, I got nothing. We better find out before patch notes are...well, done, pretty much.
It's under "unconfirmed changes" in the patch notes right now since no one has been able to test it successfully.

Someone (AnchorTea, I believe) even said they hit the sweetspot twice but it didn't one chop... :/

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
If it's gone, that'll be a shame. It wasn't amazingly useful, but it was a nice surprise that caught people off-guard... :S

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Me either.

Not that its that worrysome, since in the end, we couldn't even do it consistently, but it was sure neat to have regardless...

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Gasp! We...we never even got to do it in tourney... that's a shame...

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Guess it WASN'T meant to be in after all. I'll keep trying different methods of getting it to work, regardless.

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
I was checking my YT channel and found the video of the One Chop Tech. I'm happy to see you guys made progress n_n Have anyone perfected it yet?

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
I was checking my YT channel and found the video of the One Chop Tech. I'm happy to see you guys made progress n_n Have anyone perfected it yet?
Nevermind, just read the post about it being removed...

trevskeet

Smash Cadet
NNID
trevskeet

More of a "double-chop" than a one-chop, as you can see by the notch in the tree as it falls, but I'll share it none-the-less in case someone finds proper application in friendly fire doubles. How I wish FG doubles had it turned on...and stock-based....

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea

More of a "double-chop" than a one-chop, as you can see by the notch in the tree as it falls, but I'll share it none-the-less in case someone finds proper application in friendly fire doubles. How I wish FG doubles had it turned on...and stock-based....
Samus cancelled your first chop, but it still chopped. Then you chopped again. No new crazy tech sadly.

For a second I thought I had to chop another 2,000 trees to solve one tech
x-x

Last edited:
Top Bottom