• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Tornado (B-Down), Down-Air and Taunt Thread

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
Holy crap, I have seen way to many threads solely about these three moves. You would think that someone would use the search button or just look for 5 seconds for another thread with exactly the same thread title. It is just laziness. This has happened so much the mods have given up on the Luigi forums. I don't know about you but I count 8 threads that just have one of these moves in the title. However, there are tons of other threads that go into these moves. Use the search button people! I will explain, for the last time; to end all of these threads, how to do these moves and what their purposes are.

Version 1.1: Corrected some typos and made it grammatically correct. Improved the Dair section and worded stuff better.

Version 1.2: Added Misfire just incase they don't read Mic_128's thread because no one cares about Mic's threads.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tornado (B-Down)
Damage: two hits 18% (10%, 8%)

Despite what this move might look like or what Marios B-Down may do Luigi's B-Down, basically, consist of two hits. The first hit is when he spins around this hit will knock the opponent in the air (10%); the second hit is when Luigi comes out of the spin with his fist out (8%). However, what people seem to not get/know is that this move (in the air) can give you height after a series of button presses. To see someone do this look at Thunder's Luigi or Yagi's Luigi they do this often when returning to the stage. There is a catch to this advantage though; you must first do this move on the ground to be able to do a rising tornado. If Luigi was able to do a rising tornado every time then he would be able to have an infinite return that is why every OTHER tornado is a rising tornado. To do the rising tornado you must press B-Down to start the animation; during the start up animation you then press the button B rapidly. This is what you should be pressing: B-Down, (during start up animation) B, B, B, B, B, B...rapidly. There is a scale of how high you will go depending on how many times you press B during the start up animation.

If you press B (#)....Height gained
14+ times per second...Highest amount of height will be gained
12-13 times per second...2/3 the maximum height
8-10 times per second...1/2 the maximum height
5-7 times per second...0 height gained (maintains height; stalls)
Less than 5... Loss

Down-Air
Damage: 15%

Another popular thread topic posted in the Luigi forums. How in the world are you suppose to meteor smash with this dang attack. Well, let me first explain when you attack with this Luigi sticks his feet down and twirls, usually, knocking the opponent upwards. However, if done correctly, can cause a meteor smash. To do this, with the highest success rate, you will want to do a backwards ledge hop. This is because of the odd angle that Luigi is when he does the attack. When, the opponent is touching Luigi's hips is when you will occur the most. The reason for this is because it is, please someone verify, that the hit box goes from the tip of the shoe to all the way up to Luigi's butt. The angle at which Luigi is at makes this hit box face downwards making the opponent sent towards the abyss. However, this is very hard to practice by yourself and even professionals can't do this every time. Not to mention it can be meteor cancelled. It isn't that bad of a consolation prize if the opponent is sent upwards as this leads to another aerial which will for sure finish them.

Taunt
Damage: 1%

I'm going to keep this simple because this is pretty much the dumbest thing ever. Yes, Luigi's taunt is the only taunt in the game that causes damage, a severe 1% of damage that holds no KO properties off the side or top of the screen. The only way you are going to kill anyone with this is to meteor smash them with this ridiculous 'move'. When you opponent is hanging from the ledge you can taunt them after their invincibility have subsided and when the kick goes over them they will be sent straight down. There are three drawbacks to this: 1) No one is going to hang from the ledge long enough for you to do this to them. 2) The start up lag is ridiculous and is easily able to avoid; there are always better options. 3) If your even lucky enough to get past the first two drawbacks then you are faced with the fact that they can still meteor cancel this. This is ******** how much this gets brought up. Stop making threads about it because we already know and this is completely useless.

Misfire

Very, short. Misfire can only be done 12% of the time.
Mic_128 said:
You can't. It's random. Completely, can't be timed ever.
Stop, making these threads ("M1sF1r3 c4N b3 DON3 100% uF Teh T1mE!!!111)...they will die by the hand of hulk himself. *See the other stickied thread by Mic_128*

If you do have something to say about these moves don't be afraid to ask, in fact by all means please ask any questions as long as it is in this thread and it hasn't already been asked. Please people use your heads. (Mic~ And search. We have it for a reason) <----- I say that at the top...but I'm diggin' the green so...it stays.

cmart

Smash Lord
Please sticky this. The second most useful thread made for Luigi forum(the first being the misfire sticky).

Duke

Don't worry young ones it will be stickied in due time if it is worthy. If you ask it will only make the moderators even more angry and potentional threatening to our very existance....best to keep away.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

Mod angry! Mic Smash!

Aww, it's not broken, just stuck. Oh well.

But seriously, I'm a bit iffy about combining 3 diferent moves into one topic, but we'll give it a test run. If it works, yay, if not, me and Omni'll discus doing something else.

Duke

Don't think of it as three moves it is just like a quick Luigi faq so that n00bs know the basics so they don't spam. Seriously mic, look how many of these threads there are; I think this can only help. If it sends a resoundment of calmness through you then I will change the title to something more broad and general. Because I plan to add more answers to 'frequently asked questions' if more come up. Thats all it is a 'frequently asked questions' thread. I bet mic is one of those hulks that when he transorms into mean green he always ends up with no clothing on.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
My clothing stays on, trust me. Like I said, we'll see how it goes. I don't see any huge problems.

WeedLuigi

Smash Apprentice
Oh Boy more stuff that I already know...how many Luigi noobs r there...when this dis game come out?
Geez!!! :chuckle:

Duke

Ok, weedluigi you know it but not everyone else:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=63164
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=60761
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=64126
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=59735
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=64121
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=63955
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=58723
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=62687
you get the point. All of these threads are of just these three moves...and this is just in recent time let alone in the history of the Luigi threads. Wow, I didn't even realize it but there are way too many threads on misfire I will say something very short.

mac holland

Smash Cadet
Duke, Luigi's D-air does not spike. It's a meteor smash. I'm tired of everyone thinking it spikes. Go d-air a computer off the edge and WATCH how fast they meteor cancel it.

Duke

I'm glad you pointed that out mac just because I am going to stop you from looking like an idiot in the future. A spike is any move that sends the opponent straight down (or atleast at a very low trajectery). A meteor smash is a specific spike that can be meteor cancelled. All meteor smashes are spikes; not all spikes are meteor smashes.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
About the taunt: I believe it's it spikes as long as they are in the air, and the ledge counts as the air (since you can spike people holding on the ledge normally). So basically if someone goes above the sweetspot of the ledge you can hit them with the taunt. It still doesn't really make it very usefull, but at least you don't have to wait for someone to hold on the ledge for 2 seconds for thier invincibility to wear out.
Duke said:
Another popular thread topic posted in the Luigi forums. How in the world are you suppose to spike with this dang attack. Well, let me first explain when you attack with this Luigi sticks his feet down and twirls, usually, knocking the opponent upwards. However, if done correctly, can cause a non-meteor spike.
Mac said:
Duke, Luigi's D-air does not spike. It's a meteor smash.
Lol you made a slip up here.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
Quite. Thus, the tauntspike, which nobody effing calls the "tauntmeteorsmash." And on that note, it's not a smash at all, so that term is less accurate >.>

Duke

Oh wow these changes need to be made. That is really odd I seriously remember me changing that non-meteor spike on the Dair. I always thought that a meteor was a spike but a spike wasn't always a meteor. However, I was wrong after reading the vocab thread, which has been an all time low for me, I discovered that spike and meteor are two different things. I will not, however, change the taunt being a meteor smash because it is designated by the game as a meteor because it can be meteor cancelled.

Nigzel

Smash Ace
good, i was about ask about the tornado <.<'
well, the missfire percent is actually 12.5% or 1/8.
once again, good. and thank you.

Jabbacco

Smash Rookie
I understand the rest of Luigi's tornado, but how do you tap it 14 times in a second?
I can tap the B button about 8-10 fast with my left hand, but in the time I get my hand to the other side of the controller, I've lost a lot of height. Is the any way you guys practiced tapping with your right thumb?

Duke

I wouldn't be too dissapointed with getting 10 that is still gaining height. The only way to get better is to just practice tapping with your right thumb. I am fastest with my right pointer finger and I can usually swing my hand around and press with my pointer finger 13-14 times but with my thumb I only get like 8. I know of a glove that is ment to train your hand to press buttons faster. It weighs a lot so it slows the moment of your fingers and then when you take of the glove you will be much faster. Personally, I don't know where to get one of these gloves so I find myself during class to just be tapping the desk as fast as I can with my thumb and to just be practices moving my thumb in that motion by tapping things. I have a lot of paintballing friends who practice their trigger presses by tapping a pencil as fast as they can so I find myself doing similar things. Just keep doing it, 14 is a lot of times though.

D1

Banned via Administration
GREAT POST DUKE!

I for one just picked up Luigi and I know back then I would skip this forum cuz I knew it was like the junkyard since it was filled w/ threads that reeked like the melee discussion forum. anyways someone should come up w/ a Luigi guide cuz I feel this *** needs to be bumped up in the tiers na'mean?

Fair and Dair are so **** strong Lu needs to be proven that he's a good char amongst the Marios plumber and ph d brotha.

Duke

Tobiask is working on getting his g-faq guide here. It is actually a really good guide; if it wasn't for his guide I would have never found smashboards.com because he advertised for smashboards in his guide. Tobiask I <3 you in an oh so homosexual way :).

Yoshinii

Smash Rookie
Awesome

This is truly awesome...i never learned about the rising tornado spn thing....thank you so much

Duke

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am very surprised at the amount of people that actually don't know about some of this stuff. I can see the spam has gone down trastically in the luigi threads.

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
Yeah, I already knew this stuff, but it's still really helpful (actually, I didn't know the actual amount of B taps for the Down+B... ;) ). I guess my Luigi will never be mastered because I just can't tap that freaking fast for the Tornado, but oh well, he's still an awesome character.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
I was messing around with the Tornado in training mode and I found that my biggest problem with pressing the button as fast as possible is that it takes me a small bit of time to get "in the groove," so to speak. When I begin slamming at the B-button, I start off slower but then work up to speed towards the end of the move.

I found that mashing B towards the end of the Green Missile animation allows me to get my thumb working quickly before the tornado actually begins, so once it starts I've got a good "rythm" in my thumb. By doing this I got what I'm pretty sure is my first 2/3 height Tornado.

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
Does this mean that any discussion at all related to these three moves must be limited to this thread? Because I was wondering if I'm correct in thinking that the down-b is an acceptable choice for getting away from an attack quickly. It zips across the ground like nobody's business, far faster than running or wavedashing, and it's very manueverable.

Duke

The point of this thread was just to reduce duplicated topics. Use the search button, like we say on smashbaords "its your best friend!" Once you use the search button and you don't find a topic about what you want to discuss then you may make the thread. However, if you do see a thread that has already been made then do not create another one; if the thread you found is active then you may discuss your thoughts there but if it is a dead thread then just talk about it here.

Magic

Smash Apprentice
In regards to the spike aspect of the dair: Is it really necessary? Well, it's nice (and shocks my friends when I launch them down) but I find simply doing a normal dair or chop is a great ledgeguarding tool. It doesn't launch them down, but right back from where they came, usually double-jumpless. Though..I may be missing something, because I only have one friend that jumps the gap from n00b to..well, not n00b. You know, doesn't roll everywhere and since he's Link, doesn't only rely on B-Up and his dair.

Duke

No it absolutely isn't necessary. Like I said in the paragraph even if you don't hit them down it is a good consolation prize if they are knocked up becuase it generally leads to another one of luigi's aerials. Dair spiking is just kinda like a perk; most of the time it will not spike but when it does it will almost gaurantee good results because your opponent will not be expecting it. The only problem I have with the Dair is the hitbox; the hitbox is right next to his body (if you wanna spike) and therefor the range isn't very good so I personally use Bair which I think is infinitely better to edgeguard with.

Wardsar IV

Smash Rookie
I have something to add about the Luigi tornado. IT HAS INSANE PRIORITY! It stops many projectiles (very useful against Doc's pills), and can stop many close attacks. I even stopped another Luigi's misfire with a down-b!!! Crazy.

Eternal Smasher

Smash Ace
That's actually true. When I was doing my LC priority list, I was surprised by the amount of attacks it can match. Doesn't fare too well against Zelda, Ness, Marth, Roy, Peach, and Falco though.

ꓰspeon

Sun Pokemon
Downb doesn't have insane priority, in that case it would pass over everyting. Downb works differently, as it clanks with pretty much every move possible. That's really a strange way of working.

Oh, Duke, you didn't say anything about downb to be recharged by staying on the ground for a definite amount of time/downbing on the ground/dying/whatever.

Duke

yeah I techincally did, I said that the rising b-down only works every other time. So that kind of infers that you have to do one on the ground first.

MorbTheLuigi

Smash Ace
Well I like that down-B move because when Fox or Falco do their crazy launch (i dont know what its called) Luigi dominates it. So when they get you in a combo and try to finish you off with that launch you just press down-b and you'll counter it. that's bad ***.
The raisin tornado is bad *** too but pretty hard to do, i guess you have to practice pressing that button 14 times in 3 seconds

Top Bottom