• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Project64k Thread

Skrlx

Smash Champion

since i haven't seen anything explaining this.. step by step i made this
EDIT: i saw mystek's guide now.. BUT this a thread for it and not a website. this also can replace Project64kVE

Project64k is a special version of Project64.

Project64k is basically Project64 but with Online capability! utilizing the Kaillera client it can connect to a server where people can host a game and other people can join and you can enjoy online gameplay

I have included my pj64k for added convenience as you wouldn't need to rename plugins. the good thing is i have lots of good plugins and it 100% works on windows vista. (you don't need Projec64kVE) (no ROMS are included) I have sent this to vista users and it worked 100% for them.

Download:
http://www.filesavr.com/project64k013

Setting it up:
1. Extract the WinRar file on a location so that it makes a folder with the name of the file.
2. Open up Project64k.exe
3. You will be greeted by a empty ROM list. To fix that go to File and Choose Rom Directory -> click that and select the folder that your roms are in(i suggest putting your roms in the same folder that pj64k is in) now select Refresh Rom Directory in the File tab your roms should show up on the list.
4. Now it's time to verify you have the correct default plugins go to Options > Settings. Make sure you have these selected:
Video (Graphics) Plugin:
Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6
Audio(sound) Plugin:
Azimer's Audio v0.30 (Old Driver)
Input (controller) Plugin:
N-Rage's Direct-Input8 V2 1.83

If you made any changes like selecting the right one click Ok.

5. Now it's time to set up your Controls. go to Options > Configure Controller Plugin
1. Keyboard
2. Controller

1. If you are gonna use a Keyboard as the control Set up your buttons by clicking the move button and select the key you want to assign it to. No changes needed as it recognizes the keyboard strokes. If the Range and Deadzone settings are preset don't move them they should be good for keyboard use (to access the deadzone setting select the Devices tab)

2. If you are gonna use a Controller (Nintendo 64, PS3, Xbox 360, etc) you're gonna have to tell the plugin that you have a device connected and that you want to use it. If your device needs drivers in order to be recognized by Windows or other programs install them first. After all of that you will notice that you can't set controls with your controller. To fix this click the Devices Tab. On the right there's a box that says "GamePad" select the scrollbox and your controller SHOULD show up there. if it doesn't make sure you have the rights drivers installed. Select your deadzone and Range and set your controls as normal

Great they work offline now.. but in playing online there would be a instant Desynch(you receive packets that are different from other players which causes each player seeing different things in their screen). To fix that make sure in the Controls tab the "Real N64 Rage" checkbox is unchecked. now select the Controller Pak tab and uncheck "Raw Data"

6. You are all set now with setting up the emulator for playing games offline!

7. Setting up kaillera: Go to File > Start Netplay you should see a little box open up.
Nick: In this area you type in the name/username you want to be seen as for example Bob. people will see "* joins: Bob" when you login and "<Bob> hi guys" when you type in the mainchat/gamechat

Quit Message: in this area you can type a message that will display when you leave for example * Parts: Bob (this is my exit message)

Connection setting: in this place you choose the connection type. Good is used the most but people will choose Exellent and LAN sometimes for the lowest Delay possible(some connections can't support these so be aware).
Change Mode: 1. P2P 2. Client 3. Playback

1. P2P means Peer2Peer choose this setting to directly connect to a friends computer for the lowest delay/lag possible. This gets rid of the need of a server to play. In order for this to work the host needs to forward their ports if they are behind a router. The person connecting would need their friend's ISP IP(not the IP that your router gives. www.whatismyip). If you are connecting to your friend click the connect tab and add the IP in the field next to the Connect button(you can also store your friends IP by clicking the Add button). If you are gonna host a game click the host tab and select the game you are hosting and then click host. Wait for your friend to connect and the p2p client will receive the incoming connection, it'll accept it and he is connected. You can also record games by clicking Record Game(this is where playback comes in place) after your friend successfully connected check the box that says ready.

2. Client is the client window where you connect to a server and you have a chat window with a list of the players and the games currently being hosted.

3. Playback is used to playback the recordings made by pj64k(please note that it leaves them in a KREC format and are not for videos they are mainly recordings of the key presses and then plays back all the presses made which in results makes it in a way a recording. you can playback the file and then go and record with a recording program).

Master Server's List: click the button to show ALL the servers that are currently online. (usually down)

Custom IP: click this button to add a custom IP to connect to.

Connect: Click this to connect to a server that is highlighted or you can double click the name of the server

Add/Edit/Delete: With this you can store server IP's the name of the server, you can delete or edit the info with these buttons. When you click Add in the Name field assign a name(preferrably use the name of the server) and in the IP field put in the IP of the server with the port number example: "27888"

Servers
there are 2 main servers for playing nintendo games(conveniently they are located in opposite sides of the USA) to connect to a server:

West Coast Server: IP: 69.90.189.10:27888 Name: Emularena Grounds - {Unit laX} (located in Los Angeles) If you are west coast or central add this server!

East Coast Server: IP: 69.90.34.14:27888 Name: Emularena Grounds - {Unit X} (Located in New York) If you are east coast or central add this server!

Canadians can also use the east or west measure..

Popular Online Games:
Games that are most played are:

1. Super Smash Bros. (U) [!]
2. Mario Kart (U) [!]
3. Mario Party (U) [!] (1, 2 and 3)
And other various N64 games.

Kaillera is available on MANY emulators like MAME32k(arcade games like Street fighter) or Snes9k to play Super Nintendo Entertainment System games.. and other various emulators.

connect to one of these servers and right click on a white area on the game list box and hover over a letter from the alphabet and choose a game to host. have your friends connect and you are done. there's also a * section hover over to get an option to load a * Chat (not game) and a * Away (leave messages)

This is not recommended for those on a slow connection. Because it is online you will experience DELAY. Your ping is measured by how many ms it takes for you to ping the server and back. The higher the ping you have the more delay you will get. Choosing different connections can lower delay(refer to the netplay box) The lower you have the better.

High ping DOES NOT cause Lag. Lag can be caused by a slow connection your computer, programs like MSN, AIM Torrents etc.

(if you are a online gamer you should know all about this by now... it's common gamer knowledge )

IF you have any questions you can add me on MSN: boot.wearing.dino.yoshi@hotmail.com
or post it right here.

Note to MODS: this is not advertising this is a thread for project64k for online play. it's pj64

This also doesn't have ANY links to download ROMS(no roms are in the RAR file as well)

craiigg

Smash Lord
Don't worry this isn't considered advertising and no ROMS is fine.
I'm discussing with some Mods about hosting the link to the emulator here because it's kind of a grey area
I think it should be ok, however if not.. maybe host a video or a webpage with the link so it isn't a direct link?

Other than that, awesome thread once i've cleared it up i'll place it in the index

Superstar

Smash Champion
Most important tip ever.

Uncenter it. It hurts my eyes.

Some left side consistency would be nice. For organization bold and size bbcode is nice.

Xelgand

Smash Apprentice
I think it has too much information, it could be divided in lest's say
Installation
Configuration
Online playing
Extra info

Some colors can come in handy too. (This is to make it a really good official thread)

Champio30

Smash Cadet
You should also put really active users in the Servers, so you could look them up one day and verse

Skrlx

Smash Champion
When trying to get people to P2P, a lot of them don't know how...so I've created a quick tutorial on how to P2P.
It's here;

http://ssb64.com/how-to-p2p-with-project64k-play-n64-online/

If you'd like to include it to this tutorial, feel free. If not, that's cool too ;)
(I'm referring to: "1. P2P means Peer2Peer...")
i saw your post.. and that doesn't really give a tutorial on p2p.

that just basically what i said but with pictures and less text and a bit less imformative.

i thought you made a tutorial on forwarding ports so that you can HOST p2p.

mikeyfbi

Smash Cadet
i saw your post.. and that doesn't really give a tutorial on p2p.

that just basically what i said but with pictures and less text and a bit less imformative.

i thought you made a tutorial on forwarding ports so that you can HOST p2p.
That's next :)

santas3l1t3

Smash Rookie
i got problems playing. i connect and set up all that stuff. but when i go play online i get error message and when i hit OK button, there pop's up another message that says it had problems running and will shut down. but when i play same emulator whit same settings offline it works normally

Skrlx

Smash Champion
i got problems playing. i connect and set up all that stuff. but when i go play online i get error message and when i hit OK button, there pop's up another message that says it had problems running and will shut down. but when i play same emulator whit same settings offline it works normally
are you on vista?

Seala

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one who can't download this? When I open the link it says this file is not accessible at the moment (I've tried on a couple of occasions with the same result)

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who can't download this? When I open the link it says this file is not accessible at the moment (I've tried on a couple of occasions with the same result)
yeah i noticed that too.. i'll reupload it when i get home. stay put:p

Seala

Smash Apprentice
Yup. :( Giev PJ64K, tried dling it myself but whenever I open smash for it I get an error :< it worked fine at first, I think it's something to do with the Nrage plugin

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
Anyone knows if PJ64k runs well with Ubuntu/Windows 7? (Really asking for Windows 7; Wine doesn't seem to run with 1.4 very well at all)

Seala

Smash Apprentice
This works fine on my laptop but when trying to run any rom on my other comp (Vista) I get an error before it even starts (I can open pj64/pj64k, I can configure stuff etc but it hangs up when I start a rom)

Superstar

Smash Champion
Because I think there are some computer side settings.

Right click Project64k [the executable], hit properties, click the compatibility tab.

Hit the checkbox "Run this program in compatibility mode for", and select Windows 98/ME. Check "Run this Program as an Administrator" as well, if it's grayed out, UAC is off, so it's not needed.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Hit the checkbox "Run this program in compatibility mode for", and select Windows 98/ME. Check "Run this Program as an Administrator" as well, if it's grayed out, UAC is off, so it's not needed.
Compatibility for windows XP not 98/ME. I have it and it works well.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm really new to the SSB64 scene (I was "introduced" to the game this month). Just your typical scrub :laugh:

I want to use the GCN controller when I play SSB64. Apparently VC software allows GCN controllers to work on N64 games. Frankly, I never liked the feel of the N64 controller or the keyboard compared to the modern GCN controller.
Is it possible for the Project 64k emulator to read GCN controller inputs (just like the Japanese VC software for SSB64 can) through an adapter like THIS?
It would be very nice if I could use the GCN controller with Project 64k for any N64 game :lick:

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Sweet thanks so much!
which one do you use and which one(s) do you recommend?
i have windows vista T_T
Also, sorry to ask so many questions...are there any adapters that can support 4 controllers?

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Anybody have some tips for Linux users? I'm not having much luck with Project 64 on Ubuntu. It takes a looong time to start up, and the actual game window when it finally opens just shows random colours.

spicyitalian1

Smash Cadet
I need help...I have the USB adapter (sumoto) and I have a N64 Controller (yobo gameware) and I plugged it in. Project64k recognizes it but it wont let me configure it. Whenever I click the button to configure it, it automatically goes to "joypad" right or 1.....and when I get some of the controls down, when I play the game, it goes crazy

the controller and USB adapter are new

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I need help...I have the USB adapter (sumoto) and I have a N64 Controller (yobo gameware) and I plugged it in. Project64k recognizes it but it wont let me configure it. Whenever I click the button to configure it, it automatically goes to "joypad" right or 1.....and when I get some of the controls down, when I play the game, it goes crazy

the controller and USB adapter are new
sounds like a faulty adapter
or
a bad one

Top Bottom