• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Fox discussion thread -> We support Fox's new design! (Or just me)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion

Exhibit A is a profile of Fox's head in SSBM. Exhibit B is his profile in SFC and SSBB. Let me ask you, which looks more vulpecular (fox-like) to you, A or B?
Well... I think the more recent incarnations of Fox were more or less an attempt to make him more humanoid. I personally don't have any problem with it - though I wish he would have retained his look from Adventures, which is still his best to date IMO...

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Well I hope we get to see Falco in his SF: Command form for Brawl.
I think Fox's super boots own, and that's all that matters.

takieddine

Smash Master
I GOT IT!

the gun in his hand means that he can fire and do a different attack in the same jump!

meaning he can start the jump w/ blaster, then fire one shot and then turn into a nair.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Seriously i dont htink fox got killed.......... his costume and fighting stance is pretty good.

What really looks weird in his face and that ugly design of the new fox games.

His new body with the melee head (with new touches of course) would eb my ideal fox.

And after all..he only looks weird in close ups..... from afr away he is ok IMO

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
I liked Adventures look the best and now if any other Starfox charcter gets in it probably will he/she will probably have the Command look. I hate Krystal's Command pink.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
His elongated head stil looks awkward to me but other than that, his design is fantastic. I'm sure I"ll get used to his head structure in no time though.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Since this design is obviously a topic that nobody is willing to drop, I feel it may be appropriate to take a look at Fox's various looks throughout his history, to compare the differences.

First, His original design from Star Fox:

This is how Fox originally looked, from his first ever game. We see the beginnings of the Star Fox uniform, and the basic structure of his canine-humanoid physique.

Next, Fox's next appearance, Star Fox 64:

Albeit more polygonal, this is quite obviously a direct 3D rendering of his original design with minor changes to fur and clothing color.

Fox next appeared in Super Smash Bros:

This appears to be a toned-down version of his SF64 model. Nothing has changed.

Next, we have Super Smash Bros. Melee:

Except for the outfit and the fact that he is, in fact, a fox, this model looks absolutely nothing like anything Fox had been before this game. The face and snout have been severly enlongated, and most of the proportions have been re-scaled. His face displays a much more serious, almost emotionless expression nearly 100% of the time. If you gave him a different outfit, I'm sure that many SF fans would not be able to recognize him.

Star Fox Adventures followed that:

While I personally don't approve of the sleeveless vest/shirt combo, I have to say this is not a bad design for Fox. It keeps most of the integrity of the character design intact, with a few noticeable changes. The face has been stretched slightly (not to the point that SSBM did, though), and the outfit has noticeably been altered.

Next came Star Fox Assault:

Personally, my first reaction to this model was "Ew!". This is quite possibly the least accurate version of Fox to date. His outfit has been completely destroyed and replaced with something more 'high-tech' or whatever. The proportions of certain body parts have been completely thrown off, particularly the face, ears, and tail, and his snout has been stretched out and rounded off to the point where it almost looks like he has a beak. Gotta say, I absolutely hate this Fox.

Finally, we have Star Fox Command, Fox's latest appearance:

This is a good example of taking a step forward and backward at the same time. They've reverted Fox back to what he used to look like, with his original outfit and general layout, while updating the art style used to portray him. Yes, the head has been made a little too big, with a forehead you could land a jet on, but I see this as a step in the right direction.

Which leads us to this: Fox as he appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

We can see here that this is not purely his Command model, but an amalgamation of his previous models. We have the proportions and general structure of Command, with an outfit that seems to combine the 'high-tech' look from Assault with the classic Starfox uniform. I see it as everything Fox has been, all rolled up into one model.

So there you have it. Fox McCloud through the ages. I'll let you take it for what you will.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
I was hoping for the Adventure version for all StarFox charcters that were in it, but it makes sense that they used the command they are using the most recent version of each charcter.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
I don't think so. Who do you think you are anyway? Everybody can post there opinions and you aren't the judge of who is right or wrong.

A-Laon

Smash Master
Geez, such hostility for me supporting somebody else in a facetious manner...

And quite frankly, its due to the fact that everybody can voice their opinion here that I am so supportive of HiddenTiger's post. He gave us the facts and calmly presented them as something we can judge by our own means. Smartest post in this thread thus far.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Fox was the best in SSBM. They ruined his face. its giant, and he had plastic surgery. By the way, the level is the kid Icarus level.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Geez, such hostility for me supporting somebody else in a facetious manner...

And quite frankly, its due to the fact that everybody can voice their opinion here that I am so supportive of HiddenTiger's post. He gave us the facts and calmly presented them as something we can judge by our own means. Smartest post in this thread thus far.
Opinions are never right or wrong I am hostile because you acted like everyone else was wrong and he is the sole person who is right.

A-Laon

Smash Master
I question if you even read his post. If you did, I question you're ability to comprehend it.

He simply presented everything we know about the appearances of Fox and how they've lead to what he is now, and he did not specify either side of the arguement over the new fox to be superior, and instead outwardly said it was up to everybody to conclude for themselves. The post was completely open-minded and factual, which is why I supported it, and hence when I said "everybody else shut up" (in a joking manner) I was referring to everybody bashing one another for their opinions on the matter.

This was merely a misunderstanding. Like you, I'm fully behind open-minded opinions. I believe you just misinterpreted my post.

A-Laon

Smash Master
I did this part ticks me off.
If that pissed you off, either you misunderstood who it was directed towards, or you just need to learn to ease up and take a brash joke. There was no offense intended. Sorry if it came out that way. I figured the smiley would give away the light-hearted facetiousness of the comment...

LostAddict

Smash Apprentice
"Opinions are never right or wrong I am hostile because you acted like everyone else was wrong and he is the sole person who is right."

Wow. That was a hypocritical thing to say Dweller. Considering just last page you reprimanded someone for posting their opinion on Fox's look, saying it wouldn't get them anywhere, and that there was no point in posting it.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
"Opinions are never right or wrong I am hostile because you acted like everyone else was wrong and he is the sole person who is right."

Wow. That was a hypocritical thing to say Dweller. Considering just last page you reprimanded someone for posting their opinion on Fox's look, saying it wouldn't get them anywhere, and that there was no point in posting it.
First off I never said anything against his opinion, but it won't get him anywhere that is fact he doesn't have anysay on the issue of Brawl. That rests solely on Sakurai. My opinion won't get me anywhere either and if you looked I aggreed with the person I supposedly repremanded.

LostAddict

Smash Apprentice
But by that post you acted like his opinion didn't matter, which is what you later got angry about. Maybe I'm misjudging, but it just seemed very hypocritical.

f1reice

Smash Cadet
LOL!! I'm psyched about the new design of Fox, but I have a feeling that nothing new is coming for Mr. G&W. If there was, they would have to make him 3D and give him eyes. Which, I don't really think would look too bad anyway. heh.

Think of it, a little kool figure running with 2 white eyes. heh. Sorry, went off on a small rant...

Vibratic

Smash Cadet
The new design does look kinda odd. I'll get used to it fast, though.

I absolutely love the stance, along with the very nice animation on the taunt.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
You win. Everybody else shut up. ;)
Haha... Thanks. I was just trying to show that, really, Fox isn't just based off of Command. I think they created his new design with the thought of giving everybody something they wanted in mind. Too bad this pissed so many people off. >.>

A-Laon

Smash Master
The clothing is pretty good n all, its his giant dome head that they fukced up -_-

Geez I wonder how big falco's head gonna be
Quite frankly, with all the potential of Falco getting cut at this point, I wouldn't mind if he showed up 90 lbs overweight, magenta-feathered, and clothed in women's lingerie as long as he still made it into Brawl.

StevenM

Smash Apprentice
Haha... Thanks. I was just trying to show that, really, Fox isn't just based off of Command. I think they created his new design with the thought of giving everybody something they wanted in mind. Too bad this pissed so many people off. >.>
I'm not intending to piss anyone off by saying this, but I think if they had kept the design from a GCN Fox game for Brawl (and not fused it with the NDS design), there would be far fewer people annoyed with the look.

I understand there's people here who are already annoyed with the GameCube incarnations somewhat. And the box art we saw previously showed some rather wild devations from the SNES original... which for some reason I keep thinking is a man in a suit. Oh well.

Continuing with my opinion, I find the head to be a bizarre Frankenstein of, well, things. I think it's as though they've taken the head of the NDS Fox (which in itself is a bit unappealing... plastic... simplistic...) and designed it to look more 'realistic' in lines with the graphical overhaul of Brawl.

I mean, that's what I think it is. The head is the biggest problem. And I'm fairly certain that if it was a different, already-used design that was unveiled for Fox instead of this, then we wouldn't have several threads complaining about the look. Sure, we'd probably still have "GUH! FOX IS TEH MISTREE GUY!?" topics... but not this thread and it's "wow fox looks afwul" counterpart.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
^Steven is right you know.

I mean look how much Mario has changed...none at all, whereas Fox has probably seen the most different incarnations out of any character from a Nintendo game.

Top Bottom