• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The nuetral B spike.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Ok I'm not sure if all of you know this but apparently the nuetral B spikes at the very tip. I just want to ask all you guys if this is actually true, b/c I've done my fair share of eruption edgeguarding and never have I spike anyone. Granted I probably never hit with the tip but I want to know if its even possible. I mean its even listed in the list of spikes thread in the tactical discussions as a spike but is it true?

SiShenDao

Smash Apprentice
Reed's ike combo vid shows it happening to a zero suit, but im not sure if it was because of tether or if it was a spike because the vid transitions right when she starts falling.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
I haven't personally seen it either...the only thing that I've seen that's close and be seen here...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DzjmpytpXUg
Watch the last edgeguard at the end. The tip of the sword goes through the stage and hit Mario from beneath Ike, but it obviously sends him up when looked at a second time. The only spike that happens is a wall spike from a missed tech. This is the closest thing to a spike that I've that I've found. But if I'm wrong, please reply. It would just add to the pwnage that is Ike!

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
Reed's ike combo vid shows it happening to a zero suit, but im not sure if it was because of tether or if it was a spike because the vid transitions right when she starts falling.
What part of the vid?
OOH yes, double post!

tk~

Smash Rookie
>_> eruption can't spike aside from stage spiking but that's totally rare and won't ever realistically happen unless your opp has a lapse of ******** judgment. That zamus did not get hit by the eruption. No damage was done and if you look again you will see that the zamus did a d air and fell to her death.

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
I have heard this and actually found that it is only half true.

The truth is:
Eruption technically spikes, but doesn't realistically because it only works on grounded opponents (lol).
If you hit with the very tip of it, the opponent will not be sent in flames and you will see the ground-collision effect as they pop up into the air (think down-throw), however after a good billion tries in training mode to land this on an airborne opponent, I have not had one success, even in 1/4 speed.

Conclusion: Eruption doesn''t spike. Ever.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well the opponent themselves have to be grounded for it to work. I guess it MIGHT be possible if you do it right above a space animal that just barely missed sweetspotting the edge and glitched where they regain their second jump while still in the air, since I think the game basically considers them to have been grounded, but the timing is unreliable on the part of someone actually getting the eruption to happen at the exact moment of a small bug that only occurs occasionally and isnt something that can be predicted in a match. But I doubt anyone will ever even bother to test that since its not only useless, but it would be next to impossible to pull off as well, assuming it would even work, it could end up making them bounce off of thin air as well, or just work like a nomal eruption.

metroid1117

Smash Master
There ARE two different hits for Eruption: one is the familiar fire hit which sends people up and the other is a rare (I've only gotten it once) knockback that is similar to Ike's DThrow and the opponent does not go up in flames, as noobslayer said. However, I don't think it spikes with any hit; the fire hit causes a stage spike (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IqgrKz_N5G4 @ 8:43) and the second hit sends them up.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Your sarcasm sucks.

Prove me wrong as to why it's a useful move then.

its usefull against the spacies and links recovery. plus any1 else with a horizontal recovery. maybe dk but im not sure ive only fought one and it was in a team battle so his partner never llet me edge guard him with eruption but even so id trade it for a projectile from his game! o wait thats the other thread. :bee:

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Your sarcasm sucks.

Prove me wrong as to why it's a useful move then.

Eruption is a useful move. It's not a staple spammable move, but it is useful. Juggernaut frames along with an easy kill off the top at no charge is good. When you can't land that finishing blow, you can use Eruption. I give Ike a lot of crap for being a bad character, and I'd say the move is useful. Not even close to his best move though.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
its usefull against the spacies and links recovery. plus any1 else with a horizontal recovery. maybe dk but im not sure ive only fought one and it was in a team battle so his partner never llet me edge guard him with eruption but even so id trade it for a projectile from his game! o wait thats the other thread. :bee:
You bring up a good point, but why not slam your opponents away with a Fair? It's safer and faster.

Eruption is a useful move. It's not a staple spammable move, but it is useful. Juggernaut frames along with an easy kill off the top at no charge is good. When you can't land that finishing blow, you can use Eruption. I give Ike a lot of crap for being a bad character, and I'd say the move is useful. Not even close to his best move though.
If you can land an Eruption, you could've landed an F-Tilt. And by "off the top" do you mean coming down on your opponents from the air? That isn't a good approach and opponents who fall for this trick aren't people worth playing if you want to become better. If not, then ignore.

Plus, you can get grabbed easily after Eruption.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
You bring up a good point, but why not slam your opponents away with a Fair? It's safer and faster.

If you can land an Eruption, you could've landed an F-Tilt. And by "off the top" do you mean coming down on your opponents from the air? That isn't a good approach and opponents who fall for this trick aren't people worth playing if you want to become better. If not, then ignore.

Umm, there are a couple things wrong with that statement. Ftilt only goes in front. During eruption, the whole area around ike is a hitbox. I dare say that move covers more of an area than any of Ike's others. And that's what I believe he meant by "off the top" you can easliy catch an opponent whose directly above you, because they would never expect it to go as high as it does.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Umm, there are a couple things wrong with that statement. Ftilt only goes in front. During eruption, the whole area around ike is a hitbox. I dare say that move covers more of an area than any of Ike's others. And that's what I believe he meant by "off the top" you can easliy catch an opponent whose directly above you, because they would never expect it to go as high as it does.
You cannot rely on your opponent to suck to win. ~Cort

And you are wrong. Ike's Up-Smash covers more area. F-Tilt also has more killing potential than Eruption in terms of knockback and the fact that it has less lag overall. Honestly, you are playing a pretty crappy opponent if you kill them with Eruption of all of Ike's moves. F-Tilt's hitbox can hit slightly from above as well.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master

it maybe safer and faster but i use Fair as a damage builder so the knock back gets degraded plus at the edge you can charge eruption giving it more knock back i dont use it often but it does have its uses and especially for link i always get him in his up b.

i think he ment that it can hit over ike this is good for Dair attacks or 3Ds up b atleast when he doesnt see it coming and doesnt cancel the attack. and if he does just go pwn him with an ftilt

Look veeeeeeeeeeery closely. It was actually ZSS's Dair. They must've thought they were facing the other way.
dang it.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Well 30-40 seconds wasn't the spike part it was later on around the end. Its hard to tell if its a spike or a stage spike b/c the vid quality isn't great and I believe that's where the question lies. Whether or not that specific eruption was a spike or stage spike.

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
you're either some obsessive noob/ike fanboy/idiot/whatever or you're a troll

either way gtfo

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
Well 30-40 seconds wasn't the spike part it was later on around the end. Its hard to tell if its a spike or a stage spike b/c the vid quality isn't great and I believe that's where the question lies. Whether or not that specific eruption was a spike or stage spike.
The one on Marth? Stage spike. If you pause at just the right moment, you can see the "impact circle" on FD's lip.

metroid1117

Smash Master
The one on Zamus is not a spike; Zamus takes no damage when Eruption comes out. Judging by her position and the trajectory at which she went down, I say that it was a suicide by DAir.

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
The one on Zamus is not a spike; Zamus takes no damage when Eruption comes out. Judging by her position and the trajectory at which she went down, I say that it was a suicide by DAir.
Sorry; already found that:
Look veeeeeeeeeeery closely. It was actually ZSS's Dair. They must've thought they were facing the other way.
________________________​
Yeah ok I see. Thanks. stupid video quality making me get my hopes up lol :)
LOL no problem.

Top Bottom