• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nitpick Thread

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
This looks fine

(pic of DK)

However, this does not

(pic of DK)

He just looks really bad
I think also that DK looks more... marketable?... in his own games. In the DKCR series he has some very key subtle differences in design that make him look much better. I even daresay that he looks rather adorable.

In Smash, he's just a big lumbering idiot - Which I guess is a niche that does need filling. So I can sorta see why he still looks like that, even though I might not like it.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Yeah, that's probably the 3rd best trailer. But still, too many trailers are lacking the same level of hype.

Hopefully the Mewtwo/Ridley/K. Rool trailer will make up for it.
Ech. Those guys are overrated. #nitpicks

FalconOwnage

Smash Apprentice
Ech. Those guys are overrated. #nitpicks
Regardless of whether or not they are overrated, they are the top 3 most requested characters. So even though you might not be hyped for them, the vast majority of smashboardians will be mega-hyped. :estatic:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Regardless of whether or not they are overrated, they are the top 3 most requested characters. So even though you might not be hyped for them, the vast majority of smashboardians will be mega-hyped. :estatic:
I'm hyped for anyone. I'm like that. K Rool? Yes please! Bowser Jr.? Sign me up! Krystal? Heck yeah, Smash needs staff wielders! Ridley? Well obviously the biggest recurring villain of the Metroid series deserves a shot. I could go on.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
Only 2 truly hype moments out of all the trailers so far:

View attachment 21851 View attachment 21852

All the other trailers pale in comparison to the masterful way these were designed. I probably watched each scene at least 15 times. Smash deserves trailers like these; it's a missed opportunity for hype in all the other trailers...

After watching those 2 trailers, go back and watch WFT's reveal. Not even close.
not all the trailers have to include fighting scenes imo... they should just fit the character they are revealing. Rosalina's trailer is my favorite one, that might just be because of the mario galaxy music though.

FalconOwnage

Smash Apprentice
not all the trailers have to include fighting scenes
It was a big missed opportunity with Little Mac's reveal. The anti-climatic way in which he was shown wasn't exactly ideal. Considering how he is a fighting character, why not show a CGI fight scene vs. Mr. Sandman? A star punch finisher would have been great. I'm pretty sure everyone would rather watch that than him working out for half the trailer....

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Interesting...
Y'know I never understood that fans of Smash Bros, which is basically the biggest Nintendo fanservice fest, aren't fans of any other games. I mean it's the characters from so many franchises that make the games so great aside from it's fast paced gameplay. Though I doubt that if Smash was still that Dragon King fighters thing like it originally was, that it would be as popular. It's the Nintendo franchises that sell the game.
Sure, you're not forced to like EVERY game, but Wii U has quite the list of quality 1st party games. I never understood how people say they love Smash but have no interest in any other Nintendo games when Smash is a celebration of all the Nintendo games.
I said i didn't like any wii u games. But I like several 3ds games.

laces

Smash Cadet
I think Palutena and Lucina's facial features are sort of bland and pasty. A little bit more personality wouldn't hurt.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
4. Also the Wii U version being limited in some ways because of the 3DS version.
When I posted that in a thread about the worst part of smash,I got a ton of crap for it about it not being true because the size of the 3ds cartridges can easily hold whatever they are putting in the wii u version.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I really don't like that they're reusing Marth's 10+ year old voice clips.
This. Same with Captain Falcon. I love both of their Melee voices, and I'm definitely the type to believe there's no reason to fix what isn't broken, but it does come off as slightly annoying when the game has this level of scale and budget.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
This. Same with Captain Falcon. I love both of their Melee voices, and I'm definitely the type to believe there's no reason to fix what isn't broken, but it does come off as slightly annoying when the game has this level of scale and budget.
Quite a few characters still have old voices actually, suggesting that this is actually a product of the game being early in development.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Quite a few characters still have old voices actually, suggesting that this is actually a product of the game being early in development.
I definitely think a good number of them will be changed. I don't expect Falcon to be changed, though, considering they used his Melee voice clips in the Fire Emblem trailer.

Dairantō Smash Brothers

Smash Historian
NNID
UltraMariio
3DS FC
2638-0093-3000
I definitely think a good number of them will be changed. I don't expect Falcon to be changed, though, considering they used his Melee voice clips in the Fire Emblem trailer.
Didn't they use his Melee clips in Brawl, except the only new quotes were the weird YESSSS! and Blue Falcon?

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
True that. Perhaps is just me tired of seeing them everywhere. I can't help but roll my eyes now whenever they're mentioned.
I like Mewtwo but I pretty much got over him not being in Brawl so I don't care. Even though Project M brought him back, I still never use him.
Ridley I'm just purely neutral about since everyone from both sides of the argument won't shut up about him. I swear it's a minefield getting into the Ridley debates.
K.Rool I just don't care for.

But hey, you're right. If any of them get in, congrats to you guys. It won't matter to me either way.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I have with Smash 4 frustrations but. But this one I choose down, are the most frustaring.

But Luicna in Smash piss me off, too much.
All veterans and cartoony characters are very expressive, but Why Palutena is not that big personality, She so Expressive in KI:U but not Smash... C'mon even Robin I find him more expressive. and freaking Pac-Man!
Give My lady Palutena some expresions!
And Rosalina Reveal back then, I still piss though.

Last edited:

Don Patch

Smash Rookie
Lucina is only playable because Sakurai's playing favourites. There is absolutely no reason for her to be switched from alt to playable when she is still looking like that. Sakurai himself can't come up with a valid reason.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Lucina is only playable because Sakurai's playing favourites. There is absolutely no reason for her to be switched from alt to playable when she is still looking like that. Sakurai himself can't come up with a valid reason.
What about Palutena? Nothing against Palutena, before people start.

Pokefan203

Smash Apprentice
Charizard mostly uses physical moves, when he is a a special attacker, and Pikachu has skull bash.

And Mii swordsman doesn't have find mii magic in his moveset.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
When I posted that in a thread about the worst part of smash,I got a ton of crap for it about it not being true because the size of the 3ds cartridges can easily hold whatever they are putting in the wii u version.
Hmm I thought Sakurai said that himself.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Charizard mostly uses physical moves, when he is a a special attacker, and Pikachu has skull bash.

And Mii swordsman doesn't have find mii magic in his moveset.
Though to be fair this particular Charizard mega evolves into its X form, which focus more on physical attacks.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
He isn't though, Lucina's incredible popularity is undeniable, she's one of the most popular awakening characters and fire emblem characters in general, having her in is creating a lot of hype for a lot of people, clone or not

Don Patch

Smash Rookie
He isn't though, Lucina's incredible popularity is undeniable, she's one of the most popular awakening characters and fire emblem characters in general, having her in is creating a lot of hype for a lot of people, clone or not
If popularity is all that mattered then daisy would have been made a seperate character. My problem with Lucina is that even with her promotion from alt to her own character she looks functionally identical marth and would have been just fine as a costume. Really, I don't see how in her current state she could generate a lot of hype. Her fans are gifted with her being a seperate character and she doesn't have anything that made her unique and popular in the first place, not even her own idle animation.

Sakurai said that he didn't want chrom because he looks visually too similar to the others. Yet he adds Lucina who is not only aesthetically, but also functionally identical to Marth. She's also taking away some of the diversty that Robin adds to the Fire Emblem line up simply by being on that character select screen.
I mean, to a casual that never touched a fire emblem game what is more appealling? three blue haired sword wielders with two marths and a magic guy, or two blue haired swordsmen who play completely different and a magic guy.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said that he didn't want chrom because he looks visually too similar to the others. Yet he adds Lucina who is not only aesthetically, but also functionally identical to Marth. She's also taking away some of the diversty that Robin adds to the Fire Emblem line up simply by being on that character select screen.
I mean, to a casual that never touched a fire emblem game what is more appealling? three blue haired sword wielders with two marths and a magic guy, or two blue haired swordsmen who play completely different and a magic guy.
Three blue haired sword wielders because if they promoted Lucina it was likely because of extra development time meaning we got a free extra character. Clone or not.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
It almost bothers me more that Mario doesn't have new lines. I've said it before, but this is Nintendo's BIGGEST game of the year and they can't even record MARIO any new lines? MARIO?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It almost bothers me more that Mario doesn't have new lines. I've said it before, but this is Nintendo's BIGGEST game of the year and they can't even record MARIO any new lines? MARIO?
Although it takes more time and resources to do that especially when mario's lines are perfectly fine, Bowser and DK on the other hand...

I see why they don't do it but I wish they did

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Greninja is a nice change from this, but it kind of bugs me a little that Pokémon characters take so much from the anime instead of from the game.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
My main Nitpick:
The Vetrans will never feel as unique as the Newcomers because they are afraid of changing them up to much leaving them feeling stale or not representing their current games. I was almost hoping the customizeable moves would give you their old moveset versus new movesets but oh well.

I also think just how many contradictions appear in this thread alone shows why its a hard balancing act to please as many people as they can. Clones aren't even that bad because they offer you variations that might fit your play style better and they are quicker to make (Sakurai has stated that in Melee Dedede was scrapped for the 6 clones to help buff the roster.) The work on Lucina's model was already done, all they did was giver her a few differences and her own slot. Whats the difference if she is visible on the character select screen or not?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
A bit disappointed that all the returning Melee stages so far were also in Brawl. Also starting to doubt that any Melee-only stages will be returning as a result.

Top Bottom