• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New SMASH Theme Song

FancysaurusRex

Smash Apprentice
IMO Smash4 > Melee = Brawl > 64
But they're all great
It bothers me more than it should that you had the opportunity to put them in reverse chronological order, but didn't. I might have a problem.

On topic tho, the new theme is my favorite by far. Melee's and 64's are classics as well. Brawl's theme, while excellent, started to grate on me because of how it was used EVERYWHERE.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Smash 4 / Melee > Brawl > 64

Both Melee and the new song have that epic feel combined with that playfulness that fits Smash so well.

Brawl went all-out epic. Though it really was epic, it just started to get more on my nerves over time.

If we count the credits song as main theme for 64, then meh. That song just didn't seem to fit in well. It misses the cool craziness that other original songs had in that game, like the 'How to Play', 'Training Mode', 'Character Introduction Stage' and even the CSS.
whaaaaat. the main theme from 64 has been on final destination forever!
how can you NOT love it? also this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbumZHgSJ5w

I am happy Sakurai loves the original this much. At least he's trying to make a true sequel

Killabyte

Smash Rookie
Smash Brothers is at its artistic peak right now, with Smash 4.
Not just this glorious music, but have you seen the wondrous new stages? Final Destination and Battlefield, people.. make my eyes water, Smash has come so far, and now, it's about to go all the way into HD. No more input lag issues, just beauty.
The Melee intro is the best, ever.

The E3 2001 Smash Bros Melee reveal video will really cement that previous opinion in all of your minds, the crowd reaction made me so perfectly happy with the world. Nostalgia, for something I didn't see initially.
Brawl was a step in the wrong direction with the main theme, giving it the big stoic chior and trying to be epic and big and all, for a game meant to be played casually.

Smash 4, though? This theme has suspense, awe, adversity being overcome and, it provides motivation to overcome the forthcoming challenges given through the game, from the matches with your opponents and friends. It has everything that a great match of Smash Brothers should also have, but it expresses those emotions musically. The theme does everything right.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Melee = Sm4sh > Brawl

64's placement depends on the theme we choose. If it's the menu theme it's dead last, if it's the credits theme it equals with Melee and Smash 4.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I like Smash 4's theme the best, but Brawl's theme will always be special to me. Not because it's fantastic really, because it's alright, but because I'll be the Marth, e.g. noob. This is Yoshi's B. This monkey want to hug him!

Last edited:

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
Brawl's will always be my favourite. It was just too epic, thanks to the opera. Smash 4's is really good too, but seems more fun and .. generic in a way.

Still love them all though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Brawl's theme is the one I like the most. Nothing beats full on opera, and the meaning behind it is really great. It'll take something truly amazing to top it.
It's not opera. If anything, it's classical.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I love it.

Ranking:

1. Smash 4: Perfect for a fighting game, and very catchy. A perfect mix of peppy, exciting, and intense. That is exactly what Smash is.
2. Melee: Really catchy, quick, attention grabbing. A bit bland but overall exciting.
3. 64: Pretty catchy, classic, nothing bad about it, but isn't amazing.
4. Brawl: Pretty catchy, but a bit over dramatic.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
SSB64's theme I've always considered to be it's opening theme, same with Melee. Brawl has a bunch of themes, but they all follow the same musical pattern.

Melee> SSB64> Brawl> Smash For

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Really? I couldn't get smash 4's theme out of my head. I think Brawl's theme is the least catchiest out of them all.
Maybe it's because I always have that parody stuck in my head. "All-e-baba, e-g-noob, Yoshi's Up+B, there will be a tsunami"

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
Maybe it's because I always have that parody stuck in my head. "All-e-baba, e-g-noob, Yoshi's Up+B, there will be a tsunami"
I STILL REMEMBER IT BY HEART!!!

"Call me papa! Me be who!? So was it even me?!? And I flee a tsunami!!! Call me mama?!? me be who!? You leak red hair! And you eat a spoon fair!!! Old love was whinney poo!!!! Only 5 million! You scared me! Watch he slippy meat, there are some people speeding OMLET! Prevale! There's a big scrum net... NAAAAAIL!..... they are relieved, we forget we won't rest without.... A little Tom Flup! Burnt upppp more than said than bread SHEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!"

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Smash 4's theme is definitely my favorite out of them all. It's so catchy and it fits smash bros perfectly.

Vital Tundra

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vital Tundra
3DS FC
1848-2159-5405
I like 4's more than Brawls because I felt while Brawls sounds fantastic, its not very "Smash Bros.'e". 4 sounds more like it belongs in Smash Bros.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I actually don't like Smash 4's main theme... as it is in the trailers. And yet the menu/CCS theme is absolutely amazing. I believe instrument choice and melody emphasis go a long way in taking a mediocre theme and making it sound truly good.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
This theme gets me pumped. It really lets you know "Hey, this is Smash Bros. Now go fight!"

Smash 4 > Melee > Brawl > 64 imo

Niala

Smash Ace
Smash4's theme is the best concept yet, however the worst execution of the concept, in my humble opinion. The first time I heard it, it was incredible. It's energetic, so it's easy to see why you'd like it right off the bat. Especially the way it starts, those powerful drums building to a pretty epic moment before the main melody starts. Then the lively, "adventurous" section starts and the orchestra sounds so full, it's truly vivid the first time around. Even the second, and third, and so-on.

But eventually, you reach a point where I'm at now. The point in which you realize the music has no flavour. There's no growth, nor decay. No ebb and flow. It's incredibly one-dimensional, everything happens on the same level. I don't mean dropping the energy/"bounce" the music has, that's all well and good, it's just the mixing and general lack of dynamics the music offers that I find irksome. It's all so blasé.

Now, I did say I think it's the best concept, and I truly do believe that. I think the arrangement of the music and instruments is incredible, only the execution of the song as a whole is somewhat underwhelming. Nothing stands out.

If you had asked me this a couple of months ago, I wouldn't have said that. I would have said "Smash 4's is the best, hands down!" Now, however, I'd rank Brawl's theme at the top. It's lovely, and the orchestration actually has feeling to it. It's dynamic. Am I biased? Certainly, as a singer I'm more likely to appreciate operatic styles than the average person. But it is what it is.

Smash 64's theme is incredibly erratic, although an actual theme for that game is somewhat... unclassifiable. I'm talking about the opening cinematic in this case, and I just find it strange. It really just pops around all over the place, and sounds really harsh. I can't say I care for it.

Conversely, Melee's theme (Menu 1) is incredibly stale, and, frankly, boring. I think I don't care for it simply because it's all just recycling the same one theme. Sure, it's played differently in different sections, but none of it even feels very different to me. Menu 2 would have been a far more suitable theme for that game, at least it was interesting. Unless you want it's theme judged by the music used for it's opening cinematic, in which case Melee's is very, very good. It also lacks dynamics in certain places, but I suspect that's more intentional than the case for Smash4, given this music was composed with the intention of being behind the cinematic, (i.e. it compliments the video, doesn't intentionally take focus.) I'd probably be amazed at how gorgeous it is if I heard it from a live orchestra.

I suppose if asked to rank, I'd say something like:

1- Brawl
1.5- Melee cinematic
2- Smash4
2.5- Melee (Menu 2)
3- Melee (Menu 1)
4- Smash 64

I guess this is all my opinion. Take it as you will.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
It's kinda hard to compare the "theme" of each game, since the series has been so inconsistent with the placement of its themes. The original game's theme was present in the intro and credits. Melee had two clear themes throughout the game. The first was in the game's intro and Menu 2 tracks, while the second was in the Menu 1 and Battlefield tracks. Meanwhile, Brawl's main theme played during the intro and variations were played on the menu and Battlefield (and virtually everywhere else in the game). SSB4 is hard to judge, since we haven't seen the intro. The main song we've heard is definitely played on Battlefield, and a variation is on the menu. I imagine the version from the first trailer is probably the intro theme.

Since the themes vary based on where they're played, I'll rank the games by several different versions:

Intro: SSB4(trailer) > SSBM = SSBB > SSB

Menu: SSBB > SSB4 > SSBM > SSB (main menu and character select)

Battlefield: SSB4 > SSBM > SSBB

All in all, I'm really loving the SSB4 theme. It's not quite as emotional as Brawl's epic theme, but what it lacks in depth it makes up for in sheer spunk and energy, in my opinion. That said, I love all the SSB themes. This series always has great music.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
For nostalgia purposes, 64 is the best along with Smash 4's because it sounds amazing. Melee's was nice, and although I like Brawl, the theme to me was okay. Eh, we all have tastes.

VictoriaYr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-6451-1789
I will withhold judgment for the time being, because I feel like Smash 4's theme is not properly represented yet. The theme (as per the link), is really repetitive and it sounds like it builds up to something, but really doesn't. But, while cruising through this thread, and listening to the menu theme-- that sounds really great! They have a change of pace at the right moment... it's just got all that BG sound from the events it was recorded at.

At this point I think Melee's theme is probably the best... (if we're going by the song that plays during the cinematic)... in has fluidity and reflects the diversity of each character. Still, I will not judge Smash 4 until the game is out and I can listen to it. Perhaps there's more to it than what has been revealed.

Last edited:

Ascended

Smash Ace
I think this might be the best Smash theme yet. To me it seems like it takes the best elements of the Melee and Brawl themes and meshes them together for an epic piece of music. Battlefield Version 2 is just awesome with that fanfare intro.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is one of the best Smash themes. I find it to perfectly encapsulate what Smash is; the coming together of Nintendo's biggest all-stars in a frantic fight.
I still love Brawl's theme. While it is indeed a bit overdramatic, I liked it because of the translated lyrics since it really could be applied to any fighter on the roster. Though... I hate how the theme was pushed into your face over and over again; it made the song repetitive!
Melee's theme is also amazing, especially its rendition that plays in the game's intro and of course Multi-Man Melee 2. The theme itself is pretty... majestic for a lack of better words.
I consider the Credits theme to be 64's theme and while I find it to be incredible, it's not as good in context to the other themes in my opinion. Still, I love to listen to it while I reminisce about the series.

So, for me it's:
SSB4 = Brawl = Melee > 64

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Smash 4 = Melee > Brawl

But Brawl's FD is still epic and that's the main theme so if I were to do that they'd all be pretty even.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I actually don't like Smash 4's main theme... as it is in the trailers. And yet the menu/CCS theme is absolutely amazing. I believe instrument choice and melody emphasis go a long way in taking a mediocre theme and making it sound truly good.
It's not mediocre, it's amazing.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
You seem to misunderstand me. The main trailer theme is mediocre, the menu version is amazing. Please stop being so defensive.
it was lacking indeed.
I hope they beef it up for the final release.

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
Brawl's theme... I used to love that song but damn near original piece in the game was a remix of that theme and I got sick of it. So it's at rock bottom for me right now: Smash 4 > Melee=64 > Brawl :(

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
For me it's smash 4 = melee > 64 > brawl

If smash 4 manages to bring an amazing cinematic like melee did then I think it'll easily hold my number one spot.

While I didn't like brawls theme for the fact that it really didn't mesh well with smash..I think what made me really dislike is what they did with the opening. Just reusing sse cutscenes really didn't give the same feel as making it it's own little movie. Not to mention hearing it so many times throughout sse was grating.

Sparklepower

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Overfired
I'm confused, wasn't the opening theme always considered smash 64's main theme? All the other themes are in the openings.

Anyway, I think brawl's theme was an absolutely beautiful piece of music, but it didn't seem quite right for smash bros, a little too dark maybe. n64 and smash's opening felt more like awesome explosions and stuff were happening, while I felt Brawl's had a more dark and foreboding kind of tone... threw me off a little.

I suppose if I were to judge theme as smash themes: n64 = melee > smash 4 > brawl. I like smash 4's theme, but I feel like it hasn't warmed up on me quite yet.
If I were to judge theme as pieces of music in their own right: melee > brawl > smash 4 > n64. Smash 64's theme felt like it was mainly made to fit the opening.

Also, if you haven't heard the Smashing... Live! version of the melee opening, please do yourself a favor and hear this absolutely incredible rendition.

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
So, not taking into account remixes, this is my opinion:

4>>>Melee>Brawl>64

But that Final Destination remix of Brawl's theme...man, it is so good. One of my favourite tracks of all time. But then again, SSB4 menu version...

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
For me it's smash 4 = melee > 64 > brawl

If smash 4 manages to bring an amazing cinematic like melee did then I think it'll easily hold my number one spot.

While I didn't like brawls theme for the fact that it really didn't mesh well with smash..I think what made me really dislike is what they did with the opening. Just reusing sse cutscenes really didn't give the same feel as making it it's own little movie. Not to mention hearing it so many times throughout sse was grating.
What are the odds that the opening cinematic will largely contain newcomer reveal trailer footage?

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
I personally say the SSB4 Theme kicks Brawl's right up the butt. Melee's was great, especially with the part that had Shiek, Fox, and Kirby.

Still, every time I listen to that theme, it's just OOZING hype for me.

Top Bottom