• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New SMASH Theme Song

WwwWario

Smash Ace
So, if you haven't noticed, the official theme song (not the re-created one) has been released, comes in two similar versions, and probably more as well. The only difference between these two is the beginning (I think). But anyways, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2koy-btxeQ

What do you think of it compared to the theme songs from Smash 64/Melee/Brawl?

I don't know what the actual theme song is for Smash 64, exactly.

For Melee, it's probably the Menu theme that is considered the main theme song. I like that one very much indeed. Especially the remixes later on, as the one played in the menu itself on Melee is a bit... well, weak? I mean, just listen to how amazing it can sound once you make it more epic. This is the Brawl credits theme that mixes in the Smash 64 intro theme, Melee Menu theme and more. Skip to 0:35 on this video to hear how amazing the Melee Menu theme can sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAvFl_94Luc

For Brawl, it has a clear main theme. Brawl's theme is the most epic one. By epic, I don't mean "OMG-SUPER-AMAZING" epic. I mean the meaning of the word "epic". With the latin (I think?) singing in the background, and the fact that it's more of a minor that major song (if you play music, you know what I mean. Basically it's a more sad melody than an uplifting one). So Brawl's theme is more serious and "majestic" in one way. But that one is also, like Melee, incredible.

Then we have Smash 4. My favorite. The song just screams awesomeness, adventure, and energy! I get chills every time I listen to it!

Sorry for this long post because of only 1 song. But what do you think of the Smash 4 theme? And the other themes in previous Smashes?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I've already found myself humming to the Smash 4 theme, so that's good enough for me to consider it great.

It symbolizes the new adventure ahead of us that is known as Super Smash Bros (3DS and Wii U), and we will be listening to it for quite some time.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Isn't like the credits theme usually considered as the main theme of 64? It was remixed for Melee's FD and was a song for Brawl's FD as well. Plus it was remixed in the direct at the end before the Greninja trailer.

Personally I love the theme, my favorite as of yet. It just captures the nature of Smash Bros perfectly, unlike the latin bullcrap in Brawl.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I kind of consider the theme for SSB64 to be its credits, it's ok/10
Melee definitely gives me the most goosebumps, that scene/music with Sheik and then transitioning to Starfox is SICK.

I agree Brawl's is "epic" in the true sense of the word like wow good job. SSB4 is sounding great but I need to see that opening for the first time before I can say I like it over any other themes.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I wish Uematsu was working on Smash4's opening like he did for Brawl. Or Revo. Revo could make some freaking epic Smash music.

Groose

Smash Champion
Brawl's theme is the one I like the most. Nothing beats full on opera, and the meaning behind it is really great. It'll take something truly amazing to top it.

In all honesty, it's tough for me to say which is my second favorite. Both Melee and this game have really awesome themes. I'd give the leg up to Melee right now, but I may end up preferring Smash 4's theme after hearing it a lot. One thing is for sure--Smash 64's is my least favorite.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm probably the odd one out here.

I hold the N64 theme the highest. I didn't get a GameCube until around 2003 or so, so I had 64 for a long time, and it holds the best memories for me.

Second place is Smash 4's theme. It really carries a similar mood to 64's, and I can't help but get excited when I hear it.

Third is Melee's. I mean, it's nice, but it's not something I'd listen to on its own.

Fourth is Brawl's. It's kinda nice, sure, but it just didn't fit. And the lyrics just come off as pretentious and Narm-y. Note that this was my opinion in 2006, free of any bias regarding the game itself.

Honorable mention: PlayStation All-Stars' menu theme variants, which is what I use for Project M. I've used them there so consistently that I actually associate them with P:M more than All-Stars.

Last edited:

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
It's some pretty exciting music, I can just picture the character select screen ready to press Start DAY ONE BABY IT'S ALMOST HERE

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
IMO...

Smash 4>Brawl>64>Melee

They are all good, but Smash 4's has something about it that screams "ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN WHOOT WHOOT!"

Last edited:

Beczam1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Beczam1290
3DS FC
1075-1410-3647
So, if you haven't noticed, the official theme song (not the re-created one) has been released, comes in two similar versions, and probably more as well. The only difference between these two is the beginning (I think). But anyways, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2koy-btxeQ

What do you think of it compared to the theme songs from Smash 64/Melee/Brawl?

I don't know what the actual theme song is for Smash 64, exactly.

For Melee, it's probably the Menu theme that is considered the main theme song. I like that one very much indeed. Especially the remixes later on, as the one played in the menu itself on Melee is a bit... well, weak? I mean, just listen to how amazing it can sound once you make it more epic. This is the Brawl credits theme that mixes in the Smash 64 intro theme, Melee Menu theme and more. Skip to 0:35 on this video to hear how amazing the Melee Menu theme can sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAvFl_94Luc

For Brawl, it has a clear main theme. Brawl's theme is the most epic one. By epic, I don't mean "OMG-SUPER-AMAZING" epic. I mean the meaning of the word "epic". With the latin (I think?) singing in the background, and the fact that it's more of a minor that major song (if you play music, you know what I mean. Basically it's a more sad melody than an uplifting one). So Brawl's theme is more serious and "majestic" in one way. But that one is also, like Melee, incredible.

Then we have Smash 4. My favorite. The song just screams awesomeness, adventure, and energy! I get chills every time I listen to it!
Thats a extended theme that someone made up heres a real theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA_1J2IaKhI
Sorry for this long post because of only 1 song. But what do you think of the Smash 4 theme? And the other themes in previous Smashes?

DoubleDeeEddBoy

Smash Cadet
NNID
DoubleDeeEddBoy
3DS FC
0834-0608-8884
Yeah, I can't choose between them all. They all are pretty cool.
But SSB4's theme makes me scream "ADVENTURE!!!" every time I hear it.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I absolutely LOVE Smash 4's main theme. It screams epicness, and it's so catchy. The first time I heard it, it sounded so familiar and yet so new, like it was the Smash Bros. theme song for years. I have no idea how they managed to accomplish this, but because of that, Smash 4 now has my favorite theme song of any of the Smash games.

AirFair

Marth tho
I dunno, I always liked the melee cinematic and I've played so much the menu theme grew on me. Definitely like the new theme tune tho.

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
I like SSB4's theme song. The theme is exciting and pumps you up for the fight.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Smash 4 > Melee > Brawl > Smash 64
I enjoy them all, though.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
Dude. You're hype blind. Melee always wins. (I'm not nostalgia blind. I promise)...
It's the same as it is for him, to me. Smash 4's theme just sound SOOO much better out of the bunch, it's my opinion though.

Doomstar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Doomstar
3DS FC
3539-9305-4908
Melee and Brawl's themes are both tied for me in terms of grandiosity, but as good as it might still be just under them but I dunno it's close. But this one really has me imagining the fighter's traveling from all over just to beat the crap out of each other haha.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I dunno.
This is a harsh one, I loved Brawls opening and Menu 1 theme, but this music from Smash 4 is amazing. I enjoyed Melees main theme (Or opening) and enjoyed its Menu theme, but its definitely not my favorite....

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I think brawl's theme is pretty ****. It's annoying and over the top and it's not suitable for smash. I liked melee's a lot and I think smash 4 has the best in the franchise by far.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I love Brawl's theme, but I have to say I'm loving the new game's theme more and more. It feels like a song that would be in a game about Nintendo's greatest duking it out, that and it's catchy.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The Smash 4 theme has kind of stuck in my head since the time I've heard it and not in a bad way.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I love Melee theme to death, but this one is just as amazing. They are both wonderful, in different ways.

I got a bit desensitized to Brawl's theme, and while 64 is great, it is not as good as Melee and Smash 4.

Melee=Smash 4 > 64 > Brawl

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Hey guys, i'm just letting you know, that's not the full Battlefield song, crunchii is known for lazily ripping incomplete songs. There is still parts in the Smash 4 them that isn't in that video.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
In brawl & melee, the main theme ends up in many musical pieces, including final destination. I wonder if they're going to continue the trend here.

I honestly can't pick a "best theme". I've played smash since 64, and every theme is too unique to be compared on an objective level. They all suit their respective games very well.

Last edited:

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I feel as every Smash Bros. iteration has a meaning behind it's song. Personally my favorite WAS melee until I heard this a while ago. While I can't really make up a meaning for the first game, you hear melee and watch through the intro, and it has thar "sequel" feeling to it. You listen to it and it's just so hyped up, throwing it's awesomeness at you, saying, "Hey look! We're new and improved!". Then you have Brawl's theme which fits the "realism" into the game, and it's slow and somewhat hopeful. Brawl's theme to me, just really fits the tone of SSE, even the opening cinematic screamed SSE. Over all it sounded BIG, like you knew you'd be getting a big game because it was content filled, to me personally brawl's theme didn't represent or feel like Smash Bros. . Now, what I can make from the SM4SH them is one, it's bad ass. Lol It SCREAMS get hyped, we're back and yet again we are DEFINITELY improved.

For me, my favorites in order are SM4SH=Melee.........>Brawl..>64

Edit : Just my opinion. =3

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I liked all the music in Melee the most. Smash 4's music is fantastic, so I like the theme 2nd, then N64 third. I like Brawl's too, but the least.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Ranked in terms of pleasure: Smash 4 > Melee Menu 2 > Melee Menu 1 > 64 > Brawl

Ranked in terms of catchiness: Brawl >>>>>> Smash 4 > Melee > Melee Menu 2 > 64.

As much as I hate Brawl's theme, that recurring motif of landing on the 5th scale degree will never escape me.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 / Melee > Brawl > 64

Both Melee and the new song have that epic feel combined with that playfulness that fits Smash so well.

Brawl went all-out epic. Though it really was epic, it just started to get more on my nerves over time.

If we count the credits song as main theme for 64, then meh. That song just didn't seem to fit in well. It misses the cool craziness that other original songs had in that game, like the 'How to Play', 'Training Mode', 'Character Introduction Stage' and even the CSS.

Gamecube

Smash Cadet
Ranked in terms of pleasure: Smash 4 > Melee Menu 2 > Melee Menu 1 > 64 > Brawl

Ranked in terms of catchiness: Brawl >>>>>> Smash 4 > Melee > Melee Menu 2 > 64.

As much as I hate Brawl's theme, that recurring motif of landing on the 5th scale degree will never escape me.
Really? I couldn't get smash 4's theme out of my head. I think Brawl's theme is the least catchiest out of them all.

Top Bottom