• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Y0IDRcKqk

So I just started maining Roy. It's weird because I've only used Marth and Falcon seriously. Roy feels weird to use, but it's fun trying to get good. I've been on a long hiatus too so a lot I have to pick up again.

Also in the end of that match I misinputed so instead of counter, well, THAT happened. Hahha. I hope you all enjoy my terrible Roy. Hopefully it gets better soon.

(Yes, I'm serious about Roy. Fear)
Something that you really need to train is to stay mobile after an attack. I noticed you often did a move but after that you just stood there for a short while. Thats a bad habit I used to have too. Try to always move around the stage and rarely stop. What I did was to play against a lv 1 CPU and try to just combo him and stay mobile all the time. Try doing that. At least it helped me :p good luck!

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Any tactics for getting the dtilt on spacies? It's harrrd! But I still appreciate the tip. :D
Watch the pattern for spacies jumping and place the dtilt where you think they're going to land. Worst case is they double jump out and you're safe to follow. Best case is they jump straight into it and get combo'd. There are a lot of situations to learn for recognizing the patterns of spacie movement and some have really tight punish windows, so much so that when I get tournament nerves I'll opt for easy hits rather than solid punishes.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
This was fun. Testing out my moves.

Still uploading
This is a ranked 3/5 set on Netplay from Friday. Sadly some lag ruined parts of the matches for both of us, especially in the last match when my Counter input didn't register. Still really fun to learn Roy and make people respect him. I've gotten nothing but props for using Roy online.

I don't know how well doing DED away from stage will help me against better players, but I think the momentum drifting me away from stage throws people off when they jump out to edgeguard me. It's probably useless against great players, but it's a funny habit I have for some reason. Never seen anyone do it.

Last edited:

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
This was fun. Testing out my moves.

Still uploading
This is a ranked 3/5 set on Netplay from Friday. Sadly some lag ruined parts of the matches for both of us, especially in the last match when my Counter input didn't register. Still really fun to learn Roy and make people respect him. I've gotten nothing but props for using Roy online.

I don't know how well doing DED away from stage will help me against better players, but I think the momentum drifting me away from stage throws people off when they jump out to edgeguard me. It's probably useless against great players, but it's a funny habit I have for some reason. Never seen anyone do it.
I'm jelly >:0! I have only gotten shiz by other players for using Roy. Lol a guy started disrespecting me super hard for using Roy. Luckily there's still some people respecting me. I'm just a child lmaoo. Seems like European players tend to have a hard time respecting low tier mains. But whatever. Btw your Roy are getting better! Keep on practicing! :D

Last edited:

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
These are the last matches i'll post for a while, but anyway I'm making a little progress. I will stop using counter so much, but for now I want to keep testing how people react to this option and see if I can figure a consistent pattern for best using it. Anyway, critique away and i'll stop by here eventually and see if anyone leaves input for me. Later guys! Good luck with your roy adventures!

https://youtu.be/-Quyid78ZQA
https://youtu.be/AAipjs7FlBI
https://youtu.be/eUmSTkdL2-8
https://youtu.be/LoCDLMHwmjc
https://youtu.be/2j0tWG5Ud8M
https://youtu.be/sL3_gMiCxZ4
https://youtu.be/vOey_oZrnP4
https://youtu.be/8mgGP8igAyY
https://youtu.be/VPuuX8QJhXw
https://youtu.be/g0hkuj7_Pjk
https://youtu.be/Q85jR_7Yu8w
https://youtu.be/YVj5YkJZoYc

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
Pals4Life (Roy) vs KawaiiKun (Fox) - ASH@WIT #42 Melee Bracket
So here's a set of mine that got recorded at Aurora Smash. I got a nice 2-0 victory, but from what I can tell by my play, I miss tons of follow-ups (especially the dthrow dtilt frame traps where I dsmash on accident), I missed a few edge-guards out of impatience, I did a ton of unsafe Fair approaches (particularly in game 1), and I got shine spiked in situations where I could've just airdodged to the stage and lived. I'd like to know if there are some other things I could work on here.

Also, they screwed up the title. :p

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
Pals4Life (Roy) vs KawaiiKun (Fox) - ASH@WIT #42 Melee Bracket
So here's a set of mine that got recorded at Aurora Smash. I got a nice 2-0 victory, but from what I can tell by my play, I miss tons of follow-ups (especially the dthrow dtilt frame traps where I dsmash on accident), I missed a few edge-guards out of impatience, I did a ton of unsafe Fair approaches (particularly in game 1), and I got shine spiked in situations where I could've just airdodged to the stage and lived. I'd like to know if there are some other things I could work on here.

Also, they screwed up the title. :p
First thing that stuck out to me was that there's more than just your approaching with fair that was unsafe. You did a lot of side-b that your opponent failed to crouch cancel and punish. I'd love to see you mixing in grabs more in the neutral at lower %s since you really seem to prefer going for them when your opponent basically gives them to you (this would dissuade your opponent from CCing). Besides, Roy's grab followups are best at lower %s anyways.

I was pretty impressed by your ability to find Fsmashes in game 1. Seems like you had a pretty good idea of when Fox wanted to jump OoS to get away. There weren't many missed fsmashes.

Other than that, I think you know already that you need to work on dthrow - dtilt. If it isn't working out for you in game, I'd suggest just tech chasing. If you can pivot fsmash you can find some early kills with that anyways, otherwise grabbing is probably the way to go.

S£NPAI

Smash Apprentice
Hey fellow Roy Trailblazers, if anyone can tell me the optimal usage of Roy's F-tilt and Up-tilt that would be great. I've been playing PM Roy for years now. But last year got into Melee (Fox)

I'm having trouble utilizing both of these tilts (PM Roys are a lot different) Right now I've been using F-tilt as a mixup on tech chases after a wavedash back, and U-tilt as an edgeguarding mixup. Any knowledge of these moves effectiveness would be great.

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Hey fellow Roy Trailblazers, if anyone can tell me the optimal usage of Roy's F-tilt and Up-tilt that would be great. I've been playing PM Roy for years now. But last year got into Melee (Fox)

I'm having trouble utilizing both of these tilts (PM Roys are a lot different) Right now I've been using F-tilt as a mixup on tech chases after a wavedash back, and U-tilt as an edgeguarding mixup. Any knowledge of these moves effectiveness would be great.
Idk if anyone else agrees with me, but up up tilt are very, very effective when you're cging. I was at my weekly melee hangout yesterday and one of our better foxes decided to play against me. He's called Timpz. When I got a cg started you could really just up tilt juggle them like 2-3 times and then regrab. So low kb when you actually sweet spot it. Ftilt... I'm not sure.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
Ftilt for me is good when like edgeguarding someone jumping the ledge. Unlike flare blade or his other moves that also send horizontal, the hitbox starts from below, so less time is wasted putting out a hitbox to connect that low fast enough. Dtilt could work too, but it's easy for characters like Falcon to jump over it, so sometimes ftilt protects you from that while actually doing something aggressive.

Last edited:

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
Ftilt for me is good when like edgeguarding someone jumping the ledge. Unlike flare blade or his other moves that also send horizontal, the hitbox starts from below, so less time is wasted putting out a hitbox to connect that low fast enough. Dtilt could work too, but it's easy for characters like Falcon to jump over it, so sometimes ftilt protects you from that while actually doing something aggressive.
Because it comes out on the bottom first, I like to use ftilt for edge guarding Peach when she is in that ambiguous spot with her parasol where she could go for barely making it on stage or dipping to the ledge. I find a lot of time that the ftilt will hit her before she reaches the ledge if she chooses to dip down (where fsmash doesn't always work since it comes out on top first). Other than specific edge guarding situations, I don't really use it since it is completely inferior to Project M Roy's low risk-low reward, huge ftilt poke.

Sol_

Smash Rookie
Can anyone confirm for me that cging spacies from 0 is a real thing? I can't seem to get the regrab if they DI behind me.

Josmarlu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0001-3768-9186
Hi fellow Roy mains I'm new to this Roy forums and starting of a question, how does one practice Roy and how to get good at playing with him?(Sorry if this has been already posted)

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
Can anyone confirm for me that cging spacies from 0 is a real thing? I can't seem to get the regrab if they DI behind me.
not sure if it works from 0, but you can from 10-15

Hi fellow Roy mains I'm new to this Roy forums and starting of a question, how does one practice Roy and how to get good at playing with him?(Sorry if this has been already posted)
eh.... i dont really know how to train. Basically alot of movement, combos and friendlies. the more you play against others the better.

EDIT: yea ur prob right i cant seem to get the regrab either ;__;

Last edited:

LSDX

Wah!

I absolutely love you my man. Stay supah hot.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcqQKkGywG8

So this is between myself and Luigi main xdbest, who I heard is a great player in Europe. The first game I played not so good, but our final game I did okay. Any tips are always welcomed!

I'm going to stop using Roy on the ranked ladder once it resets soon, but i'll practice him in friendlies. After some more work, i'll break him out again. I'm not bored of Roy, but I miss using my other characters. But I really didn't want to bust out my original mains, because I felt like solo laddering with Roy for the season. Hopefully one day I get my Roy right!

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcqQKkGywG8

So this is between myself and Luigi main xdbest, who I heard is a great player in Europe. The first game I played not so good, but our final game I did okay. Any tips are always welcomed!

I'm going to stop using Roy on the ranked ladder once it resets soon, but i'll practice him in friendlies. After some more work, i'll break him out again. I'm not bored of Roy, but I miss using my other characters. But I really didn't want to bust out my original mains, because I felt like solo laddering with Roy for the season. Hopefully one day I get my Roy right!
Wait doesn't it lag like horse shiz to play against Europeans when you're in USA? Or was this on a tourney? Ugh... Anyways hope to cya soon. Btw saw you on smash ladder today. Couldn't say hi cuz my brother was playing netplay whilst I was watching. Cya bro! :D

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
Wait doesn't it lag like horse shiz to play against Europeans when you're in USA? Or was this on a tourney? Ugh... Anyways hope to cya soon. Btw saw you on smash ladder today. Couldn't say hi cuz my brother was playing netplay whilst I was watching. Cya bro! :D
I live in Germany right now, but after July next year I'll be heading back. The German players are pretty good. I actually played a friendly against a yoshi once on netplay that lives in US. It wasn't too bad.

Btw, on a anthers ladder my record is 1-22, all roy Haha. I'm curious how it will change if I start using my high tier mains. See you around I'll keep brushing up on Roy!

Last edited:

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
I live in Germany right now, but after July next year I'll be heading back. The German players are pretty good. I actually played a friendly against a yoshi once on netplay that lives in US. It wasn't too bad.

Btw, on a anthers ladder my record is 1-22, all roy Haha. I'm curious how it will change if I start using my high tier mains. See you around I'll keep brushing up on Roy!
Ayy we need to play then! I'm called Clouder on anthers ladder, so if you see me say hi! :D

Last edited:

Clouder_

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii7haVMIJCQ 3:22

uhm... sorry if im wrong now... but doesnt Roys dair only comet smash when you hit the hitbox on Roys head? (hehe english a little shaky :p) i played this in slow motion several times and it looks like he hit him with the sword/hilt. Anyone got an explanation?

Sounds good. This weekend maybe i'll hop on and we can do some friendlies.
Also, sorry! Probably wont be able to play his weekend, maybe on sunday if im lucky. cya around O//

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769

Glad you think we Germans are good

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
Hello people, I used to main Roy but moved to Ganon and revisited Roy yesterday in friendlies. I completely forgot his lack of kill moves, but aside from that my movement improved so much since i'm used to using Ganon. Aside from f-smash, I really struggle to get kills unless they come down to edge guard situations. Oh, and dtilt is GODLIKE.

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu2QikLGaZ0

So I hadn't used my Roy in a long time, but somehow it got way better. I need to work on some things, but I was surprised at how well I was doing.

Long live red Roy.:roymelee:
I wish I could utilize his counter lol, and Ganon hits like a truck so it would just be sending the damage right back to him. I used him in tournament after my Ganon got 3-stocked by a Marth player and I ended up winning. Roy will forever be my boy!

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
So I played a lot recently on net play, and I was using almost the whole cast. I did okay considering I'm casual, but last night I ended up using Roy. I was playing ranked and friendlies and it was tough losing a lot, but I also won my last friendlies last night with Roy. It was cool to know even though I'll never go pro, I showed potential to some people that even though I don't train that I still can put up a fight with a low tier.

I'm going to take a hiatus for a while, but soon I'll try to upload the Roy matches I played. My Roy isn't amazing but it's all me being observant and maybe some of the things I do may inspire some of you. I think that's why I can make up a little for not being experienced or practiced. Really all my Roy is raw hard reads and using a common sense approach to fighting. I'm disadvantaged by not having the game down inside and out so I have to rely on my intuition and not knowledge.

Roy is my Boy

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
So I played a lot recently on net play, and I was using almost the whole cast. I did okay considering I'm casual, but last night I ended up using Roy. I was playing ranked and friendlies and it was tough losing a lot, but I also won my last friendlies last night with Roy. It was cool to know even though I'll never go pro, I showed potential to some people that even though I don't train that I still can put up a fight with a low tier.

I'm going to take a hiatus for a while, but soon I'll try to upload the Roy matches I played. My Roy isn't amazing but it's all me being observant and maybe some of the things I do may inspire some of you. I think that's why I can make up a little for not being experienced or practiced. Really all my Roy is raw hard reads and using a common sense approach to fighting. I'm disadvantaged by not having the game down inside and out so I have to rely on my intuition and not knowledge.

Roy is my Boy
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT! Usually low tiers result in relying on hard reads to compete with top tiers and all their safe approaches, I like to feel out my opponent and play really defensive until I see an opening which is when he shines the brightest because his dtilt and grabs can lead to so much.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
defensive play (often the code for safe play with low tiers) is often necessary since overcommitting when you're already at a disadvantage (because you picked a low tier) is terrible. it gives people confidence, which is exactly what you don't want since you're often coasting on the other person not knowing the MU, as opposed to "how do i dael with this i've never seen it before". this is one of the reasons why people don't like to fight low tiers, good or bad, and one of the reasons why i hate fighting most low tiers with my pichu.

Top Bottom