• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new lubbock thread!

jra64

Smash Journeyman
Magitek where were you when no one in Lubbock seemed to want to have money tournaments?!
We used to have a big discussion about how tournaments should have prize money, but people didn't want to have to 'cater to the pros' lol. I just personally think it's more fun and adds incentive to improve.

So is Smash in Lubbock actually happening now?

Shawn you are playing Tekken 6? I am thinking seriously whether I should invest the training to take home an EVO title or not. Some very close people really want to get into it pretty hard.

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it seems pretty cool you should get back into Tekken to at least try at EVO again. You say there is a pretty big community in Lubbock for Tekken?

I never had a reason to train at Brawl because 1, it wasn't very fun for me and I got bored of it pretty fast, and 2 I don't think there was as many people into it as Melee, I mean for a while with Melee there was good sized tournaments in Lubbock... Oh well. How would you compare the Tekken community there?

jra64

Smash Journeyman
Shawn, as far as the Lubbock community goes, it doesn't even matter =D. If the online is as good as they say (or hopefully like ggpo or Marvel 2) then the online should be essentially lagless. If I get into Tekken 6, don't worry, you will definitely have competition, lol. I'm probably twice as knowledgeable at Tekken (probably more) than I am in Melee/Brawl. I'm pretty sure I'm getting into it. My brother and Jeremy used to be my crew when I placed 3rd at EVO, and they will be playing more competitively this time around.

So I think you should be good =).

Magitek_Knight

Smash Apprentice
I'm free the entire day so whatever is best for everyone, i know alex was wanting to as well, so we have, felix,me,alex who else!!!

Felix, i tried calling you but it went straight to your voicemail. Call me when you see this so we can play. That goes for anyone that wants to play 806-438-0447

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
GG's as usual guys, I'm going to start practicing a little more so I can stop sd'ing so much! ;D
Magitek, lol what were you thinking exactly when I stopped infinite grabbing?
Felix, f-tilt shuts me down completely, stop it!

Magitek_Knight

Smash Apprentice
I didnt think much of it. When i got grabbed and then regrabbed i smirked..... Im REALLY used to it. So when you stopped i was like hmmmm oh well, il enjoy it while i can i guess. But really Infinite me all you want. I WANT YOU TOO. Its the only way i am going to get better, and help me space to where i dont get grabbed period.

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
Magitek where were you when no one in Lubbock seemed to want to have money tournaments?!
We used to have a big discussion about how tournaments should have prize money, but people didn't want to have to 'cater to the pros' lol. I just personally think it's more fun and adds incentive to improve.

So is Smash in Lubbock actually happening now?

Shawn you are playing Tekken 6? I am thinking seriously whether I should invest the training to take home an EVO title or not. Some very close people really want to get into it pretty hard.
Actually the reason we couldn't cahrge at the tournaments I did was because we were using rooms at Tech as the venue, and unfortunately they count tournaments of this caliber as "gambling". So we had to do them for free. Now, had they been off campus I would have no problem charging an entry. I was just too lazy to find something off campus. I mean didn't I usually get 2nd or 3rd at most of those tournaments anyway?

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
Awesome, I will definitely play Tekken 6, it looks really cool. =D

I am okay with online play even if it's only as good as SFIV online, because on there as long as I find the right people it is pretty much lag free most of the time.

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
Wanna play SF4 with me sometime Magitek? I haven't played in a while and I sucked anyways, also I basically only play like two characters but I have been wanting to play again. Add me if you want "AceSJ". :)

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
Here is the lowdown, Smashers from the Panhandle are so good, we hardly ever leave for the sake of not humiliating the rest of the world with our mean, pure, sexy skill.

jra64

Smash Journeyman
Shawn is right. The small times we do venture out, we always place top, if not first.

Yum_Cha

Smash Apprentice
Actually the reason we couldn't cahrge at the tournaments I did was because we were using rooms at Tech as the venue, and unfortunately they count tournaments of this caliber as "gambling". So we had to do them for free. Now, had they been off campus I would have no problem charging an entry. I was just too lazy to find something off campus. I mean didn't I usually get 2nd or 3rd at most of those tournaments anyway?
The "gift card" tournament that had a fee actually made the turnout less too! Tournaments also played out more like "Ranbats" or bi-weeklies which don't even have that high of entry fees to begin with.

I'd also like to say I'm terrible at "pick up" new games. I learn it for a while, but never go all out and usually just go back to the games I enjoy. Like in Guilty Gear, Melty Blood, BlazBlue or KOF whatever version. This is always the problem with David and Fabain as well, they never learned smash, we all just go back to the games we like.

Also, what's a good site for keeping images? Of the site that do hold them, I know Imagehosting, Flickr, can't think of anymore.

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
Please tell me you snapped some shots of the Hong Kong chicks, Andrew...

Magitek_Knight

Smash Apprentice
So what do you guys think about trying to host a tournament??

Make some flyers or something post them all over tech. I honestly think we can get a good turn out. Just post them everywhere imaginable that gamers might go too.

I love the tournament experience and hate that so many people miss out on it because they are unable to travel or whatever reason it may be.

Your guys thoughts?

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
We could probably use a dorm lounge like the one at sneed, bledsoe or wall/gates.. but would they actually let us charge entry fees?

Otherwise, I like where this is going.. :)

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
No, there's still four weekends til the break including this one, so we could have it either on the 14th or 21st, but I'm not really sure if after the break would be best because of finals being so close to those dates.

Top Bottom