• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Guide To Spray Painting Your Gamecube Controller

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I knew the guy who was selling that on ebay would be on here! I saw that, not sure about the PS3 stick, might feel different. Also, you might put something about that on the ebay page, because it 100% looks like the stick I have from a third party controller, where the gripper slips off easily. Either way, it looks cool.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
In my opinion, it's hard to purchase a controller with a modded stick if you haven't had a chance to try it out.

Also, I agree with that scrub Yoshi guy.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
Will do. Search it on eBay if interested (wont be hard to find), Im not going to post links on a thread like this.
I lowered the Price a LOT!!! I put it down to $.99 bidding, I want to figure out what people will pay for it.
That is true Alien. Some people are willing to take the risk (you could say, not really) to try it out. It makes the controller look a lot better since it is colored

GCS Gaming Customs

Hey everybody, I have a question :surprised:
Is it ok to draw on a controller with sharpie's, pens, etc, then clear coat it? I am testing this on another controller shell with multiple markers and pens to see how it comes out. After about an hour of the clear drying, it does not appear that anything is smudged or smeared.

Can any one else shed some light on the topic for me?

Any help appreciated, if this is a very bad idea, let me know and also please help guide me to something I could use to draw on my controllers with. Markers and pens don't SOUND like a good idea, but it seems to work for the moment.

escro

Smash Ace
it's a fine idea.
you can use pretty much anything (markers, paint, spray paint, textas etc) as long as it adheres to the controller, whether onto the primer or the base paint coat.
you just need to make sure you get the clear coat right so that it protects the work underneath.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
You should probably at least bid on it, you might get lucky and get it for pretty low (unless of course it's BIN) that's the first one I've seen on there since I got mine almost a year ago.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
The description makes me a bit nervous about bidding, because I don't know what he's trying to say.

"Front is clean.
The back part, when just put, there is a wound that was rubbing.
Three places.
Photo is difficult."

Does anyone have any idea what he means?

GCS Gaming Customs

The back shell has some marks from rubbing. Pick up any gamecube controller and look on the back handles and the center point, the color will be a bit faded from wear, that is what he means.
Besides, if this is an issue for you,you could just buy a clear indigo one for $20 and use the back shell. Not a huge loss.

GCS Gaming Customs

I'm not going to bid, I have bought way to many controllers and am working on about 10 custom controller orders. I do not have time to learn how to soldier and install LEDs right now, so I will wait a few months before I snatch one up.

escro

Smash Ace
looks pretty good, although it definitely looks more pink than red in that picture.
i don't know if you should have painted your sticks and buttons though, as i've heard that most people who have done so have sorely regretted it when the paint started to peel without very long

anyway great controller, thanks for showing us

GCS Gaming Customs

As soon as I can figure out a way to paint buttons and sticks that LAST (without automotive paint, that stuff is REALLY hard to work with, trust me), I will let every1 know if my discoveries :redface:

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
I've been working on this now. The color scheme pretty much gives away what I'm going to paint it up as. The darker blue has like 4 coats of paint already, while the lighter blue is still on it's first coat. It would have been on its 4th coat, but I messed a coat up with bubbles and took apart another controller's faceplate while I try to remove the paint from the other. -__-

GCS Gaming Customs

Some stuff that I found that seems to work really well is vinyl dye. Find it at Walmart or an automotive store, you don't need primer, just prep it good, leave ten min in between coats, paint on a good day, and spray LIGHT coats.

Bubble man, it looks like you sprayed the light blue on face plate a little to heavy. How much time do you allow between coats? And what brand did you pick up?

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
Bubble man, it looks like you sprayed the light blue on face plate a little to heavy. How much time do you allow between coats? And what brand did you pick up?

I went a bit overboard with the first light blue coat, it looks a bit better now, tomorrow I'll upload a new set of pictures.

Between coats, I left them dry for an hour, the last coat I applied was back at 3pm, so I'll just let the paint do it's job for 24 hours.

As for brand, Rust-Oleum primer, paint and clear. Apparently, myxboxmod says it's horrible for clear, but I didn't knew this when I bought them yesterday. However, they bond to plastic, so I'm still waiting to see the results.

And yeah, it's gonna be a Mega Man themed controller.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
I'm still a bit curious with some stuff/details...

After painting and waiting 24 hours, then comes the clear. After applying clear coats, should I really wait a week or can it be less? MyCustomXbox have their way of doing things, and the guide here differs a bit.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
Update:

For the dark blue controller, I sanded the controller, applied primer, and applied coats of paint during the last 2 days. I applied a clear coat over it 3 hours ago. It's dry, but it feels rough and not sticky.

For the light blue controller half, I only applied paint to it, no sanding or primer since the paint bonds to plastic. After applying the clear coat, the surface feels really fine, except for the part that "shrunk" and had to remove after. Considering working on it the same way I did with the dark blue.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
I've messed up 3 faceplates by now. :mad::crying:
1) Tried to clean dust that fell on it while drying... (Wednesday, Last week)
2) Clear wrinkled it up... (Friday)
3) A piece of newspaper fell on it while it was drying the second coat of paint. (Today!)

Got some acetone, but it isn't working much. Is there an easy way to scratch paint off? I can't afford to use another faceplate when I have 3 that could be fixed back. :confused:
I want my controller ready for a tournament this Sunday...

GCS Gaming Customs

Just wanted to get it out there, if you are interested in buying nunchuk sticks, PS3 sticks, and gamecube sticks in all colors offered for your controller, check out my website.

http://gamecubescrubb.storenvy.com

btw, acetone and lacquer thinner works, let the controller soak in a bit of the acetone for a few minutes, then rub it off (as fast as you can, it will eat at your hands)

Im interested to see how it turns out.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
btw, acetone and lacquer thinner works, let the controller soak in a bit of the acetone for a few minutes, then rub it off (as fast as you can, it will eat at your hands)

Tried acetone, but it was really weak.

Fun fact: Tried using a nail file, wet sandpaper, water and soap and got 2 out of 3 faceplates ready to be started tomorrow (waiting for a sunny day). I'll fix the third one later on.

Any tips or pointers besides the recommended in the opening post for primer/paint/clear?

GCS Gaming Customs

Prep it really good, make sure there are no oils on it when you begin to paint, use some of the acetone to rub the face plate RIGHT before you paint, make sure there is no dust and or dirt on the work (lint free cloth is helpful here)

Try to keep the paint can warm (heat up water to put it in if you have too) and spray away from the controller before you start, if you start seeing drops clean the nozzle immediately with the acetone and a cloth

If any dust or dirt gets on the work, wait about an hour and lightly sand it off with 600-1000 grit,
Don't paint unless it is below 80% humidity, I would let the paint cure for ATLEAST a day (take it inside after about an hour of drying, put it somewhere cool and dry) then spray the clear, so it acts as a layer of protection and does not mesh with the paint at all.

Then show us how awesome it looks :eek:

Bose

Den lengste kølla
3DS FC
5086-2001-6359
Just wanted to get it out there, if you are interested in buying nunchuk sticks, PS3 sticks, and gamecube sticks in all colors offered for your controller, check out my website.

http://gamecubescrubb.storenvy.com

Hey man, it's cool that you got a website with modded controllers. If I could give you some constructive criticism though, it would look a lot better with less glaring colors. Right now, the orange text color on the lime background is hurting my eyes. Having a more classy color scheme could be beneficial for you, also since you're trying to sell aesthetics, and your website layout will impinge on what people think about your products.
On a different note, I think about getting into controller modding and painting, and this website looks interesting! Do you ship to Scandinavia?

GCS Gaming Customs

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't feel entirely comfortable with the new layout that I was forced to update to (it looked better before :glare:) But I tweaked it to be more eye friendly.

I can, as long as you pay the international fees.

Top Bottom