• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Net-Code! Won't Someone Think of the Net-CODE!

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
A response to today’s update. Once again, the update may seem disappointing until you consider the hidden information. I’ll keep it brief.

What’s the difference between the old way to combo and the new way?

OLD WAY:

A, A ,A AA AAAAA AA AAAAA

NEW WAY:

A (hold)

The old way requires the system to process many inputs of the A button. The new way executes the same attack with less information. Why is this important? Online play of course.<!--more-->

When playing online, everything you input into the system has to be processed and sent around the net to be picked up by the other system. The fewer the inputs, the smoother the online play can be. Think about a game like Paper Rock Scissors. When the timer counts down to zero you have to input one of the three options. Right when you input your choice, that information is sent online. The data is collected, compared, and a winner is picked. No big deal, right? This system would work smoothly even with a THOUSDAND online players playing in a single game. As long as each system collects their player data when the timer counts down, the winners and losers can be calculated at the system’s leisure.

Compare to a simple game like Paper Rock Scissors, Smash has approximately one thousand times the amount of data to be communicated every second (I made up this figure to illustrate my point). In order to keep things smooth developers have a few options.

1) Slow down the game so that less happens per second. This reduces the amount and frequency of critical data transfer. Mario Kart DS features an online mode in 100cc instead of the maximum speed 150cc.

2) Adjust the code of the game so that the game can still function if data transfer is slow or some of the information is lost while traveling across the net. If a player has a particularly slow connection in Mario Kart DS, their kart will jump and teleport around the screen because he can’t communicate his position to the other systems. When some of the information is lost, the other systems can assume that the laggy player is driving straight along the path. In this way, hiccups in information transfer can still provide a fairly consistent online experience. This is the essence of “non-guaranteed checking.” When data from a player isn’t guaranteed to make it through the net, precautions are programmed in.

3) Adjust the speed of the game according to the slowest player. Jump Ultimate Stars for the Nintendo DS does this. Instead of having to deal with bumps, teleports, and skips while playing this handheld fighter, the game speed simply slows down to accommodate everyone. This would be like playing slow motion melee at its worse, and normal smash at best. I’ve played this mode a lot and I have to say it isn’t bad. When the game moves in slow motion, I think in slow motion with it. My strategies are the same; they just move slower. This is the essence of “guaranteed checking.” The game will not continue until all the data is received from everyone.

It’s true that holding A to combo is simpler making the game more accessible to different kinds of people, but it never hurts to consider if Net-coding is behind these decisions. Won’t somebody think of the Net-Coding!?

A

awesome ivan

1st post! interesting article, i agree it would make online smashing much more enjoyable.

R

RC Hammer

sweet 1 cant capitolize because im destroying a bag of doritos

ps its not first post its first comment1111

M

MinceMeat

When I first read this I was thinking of that Peach Stage in SSB64 and how everyone’s close up. If they have any stages with this layout is featured in brawl peoples could just hold the A button while the game loads
Lucario for Brawl!!!

C

Cold Stone

Well struck Kirby,

I’d have to say, I think for smash the slo-mo alternative would be the only acceptable option. I’m a little used to it from playing four players on fountain of dreams (perhpas a few ice climbers), and like Kirby said, my strategy stays the same and my button pushing adapts, but if I were edge guarding, and suddenly the game glitches and my opponent is on the level and i’m falling–that isn’t going to be acceptable for competitive smashers…

C

Cold Stone

This is a little off topic, but does anyone else think that mega-man has done way more for the nintendo co. than sonic has, and deserves a spot in nintendo best selling franchise?

I know of at least 10 platformer games that nintendo has soaked out of the blue-bomber franchise, probably more if you include some of the mega man off-shoot games, but i’m honestly more interested to see if “Rock” (mega man) made the cut than if sonic did…

M

MinceMeat

uh no, capcom has done some nintendo stuff but sonic has a game coming out with mario next year and has made alot of other nintendo orgined games, but I think it’s more to do with the SSBB maker whatshisname because Snake hasnt done nearly as much as some other 3rd party canadits

M

MinceMeat

you no who would be good for brawl and is from capcom the main guy from RE4

S

Sneaky

I think I said that bit about Mario Kart DS before. “Guaranteed Checking” just wouldn’t work for Mario Kart, but it’s the best solution for Smash Bros.

I think guaranteed checking is what you call the cause of the lags on Pokemon Battle Revolution. Whether you’re cycling through options, selecting a target to attack, waiting for an attack to go through, or even waiting to see if that attack did some sort of status condition to the opponent, the game seems to pause for a bit (but not freeze). The game waits to send the info to both players.

The big difference now is that I know what to call it. Thanks.

P

princess peach

heeeeeeeeeeey
falco****er i comment what ever i want .
god he makes me angry.

F

Falcofucker

Does anyone think anyone from Resident Evil(what a strech) will make it into smash….of coarse without guns. There is a resident evil game coming out soon

S

Sneaky

I doubt it, Falco.

He makes you angry, Peach? Understandable, but between you and me, he makes me laugh. I could read his crap all day.

S

Sneaky

Personally, Falco, I wonder if Sakurai is really considering putting in third-party characters (besides Snake). Come to think of it, we haven’t heard much about him since the site updated. :(

F

Falcofucker

I heard somewhere that he was going to put one or two more in…im thinking he might throw in a bunch of assist trophies tooo..but ic ould be wrong. Anything is really possible now that he threw those in

P

princess peach

yes he dose….
any way it would be cool if more and more charecters
in the new brawl it will sell more copes.
by charecters i’m differnt games

F

Falcofucker

omg, peach…when you make comments, do you hit a bong after every letter, cause you gotta be high

Top Bottom